Letter a 'hateful diatribe'

The July 24 letter by Steve Saffron (“Both sons were loved dearly”) is an affront to any civilized culture and a violation of decent comportment. All people know that it is shameful to speak ill of the dead. Not only does Mr. Saffron vilify the dead with accusations of which he has no personal knowledge, he cloaks his hateful diatribe in hypocrisy by claiming to be a parent. I am amazed that your paper chose to print this abomination. Apparently civility is not a requirement for your editors.

KSL
KSL 07/29/13 - 12:51 am
Come on Barb

Trayvon wasn't exactly a model citizen.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/29/13 - 05:05 am
What's happening now is

What's happening now is liberals don't want to discuss the facts of the case, but will say conservatives are bad because they don't care about an "innocent child who was murdered." The facts are much different on both accounts.

myfather15
myfather15 07/29/13 - 05:53 am
Truth is, it's simply about confusing people!!

Making the RIGHT WAY, seem wrong and the wrong way seem right!! We (decent citizens) shouldn't be defending ourselves against ruthless thugs!! Oooooooh noo; take your medicine and after the thug is long gone, call law enforcement, if you're still alive!! If you're not still alive, then don't worry; the person who finds your body will call law enforcement!! BUT, WHATEVER you do, do NOT defend yourself!! Heaven forbid!!! It's simply NOT worth taking the ruthless thugs life, just to defend your person or property; let them do whatever they want!!!

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/29/13 - 06:39 am
Ruthless thug, based on what?

Ruthless thug, based on what? What's wrong with y'all ?

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/29/13 - 09:32 am
Myfather our you saying the

Myfather our you saying the kid had it coming because he smoked weed and had a school incident? What house was he breaking into when he was shot? What's is it KSL that you know that says that boy should not have been able to walk home from the store.

peace4784
peace4784 07/29/13 - 06:51 am
Civilzed culture, shameful,

Civilzed culture, shameful, abomination. Could use the same letter to oppose gay marriage.

agustinian
agustinian 07/29/13 - 06:51 am
"Lean" on Me ---

Ms. Schiffler,
I always thought skittles and "ice tea" were a strange purchase, late at night. I then heard about "lean" a concoction of skittles, watermellon drink (which is what he really bought, not ice tea), and cough syrup, which gives people a high and makes them aggressive. Do you know anything about that. Is it true. No, I don't think Mr Martin should have died, but I do think the media skewed the coverage of this story to the point that, I really don't know who to believe.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/29/13 - 07:31 am
"Not only does Mr. Saffron

"Not only does Mr. Saffron vilify the dead with accusations of which he has no personal knowledge, he cloaks his hateful diatribe in hypocrisy by claiming to be a parent. "

Well for starters, this letter writer has no personal knowledge of Mr Saffron, which I do. Talk about hypocrisy. Second....He IS a parent...that is a fact.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/29/13 - 07:33 am
"What house was he breaking

"What house was he breaking into when he shot? "

He wasn't breaking into a house....he was breaking into Zimmerman's FACE when he got shot.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/29/13 - 07:38 am
i must admit that i remember

i must admit that i remember reading that letter and came away with the idea the LTE writer was talking of unconditional love a parent has for a child...regardless of the situation my love for my children will never diminish...regardless of the circumstances...i may be highly hurt, disappointed or mad as heck but the bond is always there even if its one way...and i believe that was the tone of the letter..only a lib could get mad at that...all he stated was the known facts of trayvon..

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/29/13 - 07:44 am
Breaking in a house

No he wasn't BUT if he had been he would probably still be alive today...zimm probably would have held the gun on him til police arrived..but noooo.......he was battering zimm & bouncing his head into the cement.

The reason the jurors didn't hear much about TM is because the lawyers did NOT want to bring up his HISTORY in court.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/29/13 - 07:50 am
Hateful Diatribe

Ms. Schiffler said worse things about Steve Saffron than Saffron said about Trayvon Martin.

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/29/13 - 08:03 am
People there are two sides to

People there are two sides to every story, so you guys think George Zimmerman did nothing wrong that night?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/29/13 - 08:05 am
Tragedy

Plain and simple.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/29/13 - 08:18 am
According to all available

According to all available evidence, Zimmerman broke not one single law that night, owensfef. Do you have some information that the rest of the world didn't get?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/29/13 - 08:19 am
Yes-ur-ree -

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" I do think George Zimmerman did nothing wrong that night?

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/29/13 - 08:29 am
Gosh, This letter is such a

Gosh, This letter is such a "hateful diatribe". Talk about a Catch 22.
Is this the "Great Circle of Life" people keep talkin' about.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/29/13 - 08:31 am
Turn Around

I guess we should turn the question around. Do you, owensjef3, think Trayvon Martin did nothing wrong that night?

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/29/13 - 08:34 am
Owensjef it doesn't matter

Owensjef it doesn't matter what any of us really think about Martin or Zimmerman, because a court of law and jury of peers found Zimmerman not guilty. Trayvon was basically found guilty of attacking Zimmerman and breaking the law with assault, and then Zimmerman was found to defend himself breaking no laws. It may be a bitter pill for you personally to swallow, but I felt that way about Casey Anthony and the dude who ran over the doctor locally deserved time in prison too. So complain about the justice system. It has nothing to do with race-this isn't Italy.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/29/13 - 08:42 am
Bizkit

I guess its ok to hate the hater. What happened to liberal tolerance for those who you disagree with.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/29/13 - 08:44 am
RMSHEFF...when did this

RMSHEFF...when did this tolerance you speak of EVER exist?

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/29/13 - 08:52 am
Some irony. We talk about

Some irony. We talk about freedom of speech. But we find some opinions are labeled as bigoted, hateful, homophobic, racist, etc. Seems that kind of ad hominem does little to promote a useful discussion. It's like building a house-it has to have a foundation. If your foundation is you believe in "race" (independent of all the science and data against the notion) then all logic will flow with that angle. That's why I am so adamant there are no races-just ethnicities and populations. Hispanics are an ethnic group with about every skin tone.

dahreese
dahreese 07/29/13 - 08:53 am
"BUT, WHATEVER you do, do NOT

"BUT, WHATEVER you do, do NOT defend yourself!! Heaven forbid!!!"

This remark is interesting coming from someone who gets on here and spouts Jesus and Christianity.

What ever happened to "turn the other cheek?"

corgimom
corgimom 07/29/13 - 08:54 am
I think that most of the AC's

I think that most of the AC's LTE's are just plain strange. And in my opinion, this letter is a good example of why I feel that way.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/29/13 - 09:02 am
So true and some really

So true and some really strange. Rare is the really thoughtful well organized letter with clear points and posits. Yeah I have written one in a while. hee,hee,hee. just kiddin'.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/29/13 - 09:35 am
dahreese "What ever happened

dahreese "What ever happened to "turn the other cheek?""

dahreese, are you saying that Zimmerman should have laid there and let Trayvon crack his skull and bash his face maybe breaking an eye socket or a cheek bone next? Are you saying Christians just need to let someone beat the crap out of you, possibly kill you, and to you that's turning the other cheek?

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/29/13 - 09:23 am
I think I'll write a letter

I think I'll write a letter stating I "hate" every ethnicity, age, gender, just everything. That way I can't be accused of discrimination-just being a "hater". Whatever the heck that means. I could say I love everything but that just isn't believable is it?

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/29/13 - 09:27 am
ICL, Yep states so in

ICL, Yep states so in Revelations during Armageddon the Army of God just turns the other cheek and takes a beatin' and Satan wins. Hey wait a minute this must be some progressive rewrite that ain't what happens. Sorry I accidentally bought the New Progressive Translation of the Bible.

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/29/13 - 10:27 am
I not sure lamb, I'm not

I am not sure lamb, I'm not buying Zimmerman's story, and maybe Travon was standing his ground. Zimmerman never identified himself as a volunteer for the neighborhood watch, and he had no uniform. Could he have been trying to detain the young man? I think there was an altercation and Zimmerman had a lot to do with there being a fight. Just because he was losing that don't mean he gets to shot without consequences. This was never Murder2 but a slam dunk for manslaughter.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/29/13 - 10:10 am
Maybe

Thanks for responding, owensjef3. It was the prosecution's burden to prove manslaughter beyond a reasonable doubt, and they didn't. If anyone needs to be "punished" (as Ms. Antonacci recommended in the other letter) it would be Special Prosecutor Corley, who asked the Grand Jury for the indictment.