Case erodes pride, respect

There are several observations to be made on the trial and verdict in the George Zimmerman case.

First, why was the jury made up of women, all white except for one minority, and why were there no men on the jury? I find the composition of the jury suspicious.

Second, why wasn’t there punishment of some sort for George Zimmerman? He should have at least been given probation and community service, and should have been made to apologize to the family of the victim.

Third, why were the Revs. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson involved in the situation? Don’t these two have more constructive activities in which to engage than stirring up racial distrust and hatred? Contrary to what these two men believe, many of the injustices to black Americans have been righted, and most of us know how to get along. That includes justice.

There always will be bigots – those who hate others on the basis of color, religion, gender orientation or something imaginary. These two men make a living by stirring up racial distrust and hatred. These are the type of people who prevent the rest of us from getting along. What is in it for them?

Why don’t they encourage young people of all colors to look up to and respect black Americans such as Colin Powell, Bill Cosby, Oprah Winfrey and others who have made it in the American system despite hardships that we, especially young black Americans, cannot comprehend since they did not live through segregation and Jim Crow laws?

Many young Americans are so ignorant of their history that they cannot appreciate the sacrifices made by people – whites and blacks – to ensure more justice, better educational opportunities and more economic opportunities for our black brothers and sisters. Yes, I have used the words “black brothers and sisters,” even though I am white. I am of the race of mankind; that makes every Jew, every Catholic, every Muslim, every Asian and every black person my brother or sister. Black history is my history, too, because it is part of American history, and I am an American.

We have lost Trayvon Martin, who had the potential to contribute to our society. A man will have to live with the guilt for the rest of his life, and his actions will affect his future and the future of his family. One might remember John Donne’s Meditation XVII; Donne says, “No man is an island.” He ends with, “(A)nd therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”

As have other situations, this situation affects all of us. The death of the young man and the lack of penalty for Zimmerman’s actions have caused all of us to lose a little of ourselves, lose pride in being Americans and lose respect and trust for the legal and judicial systems.

We should consider the care we give to our children to keep them out of harm’s way and to one another.

myfather15
myfather15 07/29/13 - 01:49 pm
Corgi

"If I killed somebody in self-defense, no, I wouldn't feel guilty for one minute."

If you take another's life in self-defense, it's not GUILT you will feel, but certainly there should be regret that the entire incident ever had happened!! Anyone who feels pride in killing another person, even in self-defense, has issues!! As an officer I will not hesitate to defend myself, but I'm certainly not going to feel good that it happened.

validPoint
validPoint 07/29/13 - 02:16 pm
@ INChrist

validPoint
validPoint 07/29/13 - 02:29 pm
Totally Agree

@Myfather15, I totally agree with your comment to Corgi. Interestingly enough, my husband was a two time combat vet and we never personally owned a gun.

Also, we found at one time, there were types of weapons more readily available on the street than in the military to defend the country.

dstewartsr
20394
dstewartsr 07/29/13 - 03:40 pm
RE: seenitB4 07/29/13 - 09:09 am

I guess now the Jackson/Sharpton Snake Oil and Race-baiting Sideshow will be flying down --courtesy of our racial healing president-- on Air Force One to Atlanta to organize "spontaneous" protests?

carcraft
carcraft 07/29/13 - 07:03 pm
Valid point, any time I

Valid point, any time I needed a weapon (and many times I didn't want one) the army supplied then. At one point the military budget was cut and ammo for training was short!

KSL
KSL 07/29/13 - 07:45 pm
Now check out this

Now check out this adminstration for ammo not being available. They are so dastardly and third world dictatorshiply in their approach to everything. A gazillion executive orders, failure to enforce the laws, unlawful snooping and collection of data on American citizens, funding of non-profits, allowing tbem access to very private information. Any and every American should be alarmed, unless you think the person and party you support will always be the one in power.

Oh wait, check with the millions of dead people around the world who thought that..

KSL
KSL 07/29/13 - 07:58 pm
Carcraft

Directed at you, as you can imagine.

validPoint
validPoint 07/29/13 - 08:26 pm
OK

Carcraft, I believe you. Evidently we speak of different periods of times, situations places and people. The ironic thing is each has a specific voice.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/29/13 - 10:11 pm
validPoint "INChrist, based

validPoint "INChrist, based on the different variations that have been presented surrounding one point, how do you know what truth is?

Based on Scripture, God's word is Truth. However, I have seen little of that applied in this situation."

VP, the truth I speak about is Zimmerman's truth which relates to his justification so there is no consequence he needs erasing. Whether we believe his truth makes no difference. He is the one who must deal with the consequences of his actions and if he believes his truth is self defense (and evidently the court did also) and was justified in his action, then his consequences will not need to be erase.

Yes God's Word is Truth and if more followed it, I'd say we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I'd say Trayvon's father would have had this young man on restriction for his disrespectful behavior and he would have not been out walking the streets that night.

I'd say Zimmerman would have not been suspicious of a young male walking around in the rain behind houses looking about.

I'd say Trayvon would have had more respect for others and not assaulted Zimmerman and broke his nose or beat his head on the sidewalk

I'd say Zimmerman would not have needed to defend himself and taken the life of a young 17 year old teenager.

You know, and I know, God's way is better but we live in this sinful world and people have a free choice. Life will always be filled with should have, could have, might have, wish I had, scenarios.

corgimom
corgimom 07/29/13 - 11:54 pm
If I killed to defend my

If I killed to defend my life, I wouldn't feel regret or guilt. Why would I? Regret what, that I saved my life? What's the alternative, just lay there and be killed?

Definition of regret: 1.feel sorry for something: to feel sorry and sad about something previously done or said that now appears wrong, mistaken, or hurtful to others
2.used politely when giving bad news: used as a polite expression of sorrow when making an apology or delivering a piece of bad or unwelcome news
3.mourn for somebody or something: to feel sadness about something, or feel a sense of loss and longing for somebody or something that is no longer there

And myfather, you aren't everybody, and you can't tell someone else how they should feel about defending their life. I would be traumatized, but that's not the same as regret. It wouldn't appear wrong to me, and I wouldn't feel a sense of loss or longing for a criminal trying to kill me.

KSL
KSL 07/30/13 - 01:24 am
corgi, I agree

Except, I have not been there. I am pretty hardnosed when it comes to self defense or protecting my loved ones. But I cannot guarantee I would not have questions for myself. Could I have done something different. Then I resort to training in the 70's. IF YOU THINK YOU NEED TO SHOOT TO PROTECT YOU OR YOURS, SHOOT TO KILL. That came from law enforcement.

Darby
Darby 07/30/13 - 01:40 am
This letter is just one more sad and pathetic

attempt to shift the blame for Trayvon Martin's assault of an innocent man away from Martin and onto his victim.

The fact that Martin died was a direct result of his illegal and violent act and nothing else.

Yes, it's sad that his parents lost their son, but their son precipitated his own death.

Odd how the facts don't matter in this world turned upside down, where politics places racial priorities above morality and law.

It's high time the vigilantes pack it in and accept the fact that, of the two men involved, Zimmerman was the true victim that night in Florida.

Darby
Darby 07/30/13 - 01:53 am
"Oh, and what about Allen West, Herman

Cain, Michael Steele, J.C. Watts, Ben Carson and many more? THESE are men the black community should be admiring!!

MF15 - Bravo, but if you don't mind, I'd like to add to your list, a hero of mine who is a great role model for kids of any race but who has been attacked more because of his color than any other black man (in my opinion) on earth.

That would be Justice Clarence Thomas.

myfather15
myfather15 07/30/13 - 06:38 am
KSL got it right!!

You absolutely can NOT tell how you would feel, unless you are in that situation!!

$1 million settlement reached in North Augusta police shooting

A $1 million settlement has been reached with the North Augusta police and officials in Edgefield County in the case of a 68-year-old black man shot to death by a police officer after a slow-speed ...