We need to foster change

On July 20, I called for gatherings at the steps of the Augusta Judicial Center and John H. Ruffin Jr. Courthouse, and at Williams Memorial C.M.E. Church. Other leaders shared in major roles for both events for Trayvon Martin.

The George Zimmerman trial has caused a divide in communities across the nation. However, I am saddened that both families will feel the pain for some time to come. Nevertheless, this does not change what could have been avoided, had the right choice been made to know where one’s rights begin and end. Don’t you think our laws need to be changed or modified – so those who make them, those who carry them out and those who must abide by them will understand and have no question as to their function?

I have no problem with going to Sanford, Fla., nor to Jena, La., to stand by the Jena Six. But I am concerned that on the heels of this national movement and before this is over for good, we have had three young African-Americans killed just this past weekend and others killed in our very own back yard. We will have vigils for them, and I have led and shared with many. But after the demonstrations and vigils, what will we do? In Chicago, more than 500 were killed last year and about 200 so far this year. Why are no buses of protesters going up there?

I think the lives of black men and women are important also. Therefore, I call for the reactivation of Augustans Together, the organization that promoted racial and ethnic harmony. We need to foster change.

carcraft
carcraft 07/23/13 - 05:42 am
Very good points. We do need

Very good points. We do need to get handle on this and stop letting thugs ruin values in people, lives and families!

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/23/13 - 07:09 am
It begins at the family dinner table. It begins with the parents

It begins at the family dinner table. It begins with the parents

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/23/13 - 07:10 am
The black community has allowed the government to enslave their

children and grandchildren. Chains of financial, social and moral slavery.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/23/13 - 07:11 am
The government uses the black community to gain power.

The government uses the black community to gain power.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/23/13 - 07:12 am
Rev. Fryer "the common enemy of all Americans is in DC".

Rev. Fryer "the common enemy of all Americans is in DC".

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/23/13 - 07:13 am
To win a war of freedom, you must identify the enemy

To win a war of freedom, you must identify the enemy

avidreader
avidreader 07/23/13 - 07:51 am
Good Job, Rev!

You're a good man, Rev. Fryer. As a teacher, I will continue to support your community spirit. I promise!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/23/13 - 07:52 am
Worthless

Rev. Fryer wrote:

There are plenty of laws I would like to see changed. But I suspect my list of desired changes and Rev. Fryer's list would be entirely different.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/23/13 - 07:56 am
Answers

Rev. Fryer likes to ask questions, but dares not utter the answers:

I am willing to answer. There are no buses of protesters going to Chicago to demonstrate against the killers of those 700 young people because the killers of those 700 were young black males.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 08:09 am
The answer Rev

because the killers of those 700 were young black males.

Just as LLamb said in his post....face THAT fact & start from there....btw...the law can change but it won't matter to many...we feel the need to protect ourselves...that gun using kid ventures into other neighborhoods not just his own....we see that on a daily basis too.

Try to get your jobs back...but crime in the area will have to cease before a business will come back.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/23/13 - 08:22 am
Where is the outrage....

"I think the lives of black men and women are important also. Therefore, I call for the reactivation of Augustans Together, the organization that promoted racial and ethnic harmony. We need to foster change"....yet I saw nothing in his letter (where he touts racial harmony) about the victims of crime perpetuated by black males on white victims (which happens at a greater % than the other way around) there will be no coming together and no healing until you start looking in the mirror first and accepting the blame for the culture your race has raised.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 07/23/13 - 08:30 am
Divisive distraction

The George Zimmerman trial has caused a divide in communities across the nation (Rev. Larry Fryer).

No, the media's coverage of the case is to blame for the division. Our nation was divided before the trial, but the division concerned scandals plaguing the Obama administration, for example, the Benghazi cover-up, the bias at the IRS, the eavesdropping by the HSA, the mounting problems arising from the Affordable Care Act.

By involving himself in the Trayvon Martin matter and working with the likes of Al Sharpton, our president changed the topic of discussion to something that will be less harmful during the 2014 elections. Shrewd political move!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 08:34 am
A divide

If the whites wanted to cause a divide & uproar they would have with the killing of the baby in Brunswick..Antonio West is or WAS his name..we didn't march---riot--protest....funny how the Pres didn't have much to say about THAT DEATH!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 08:43 am
Pres Bush

I doubt Pres Bush would have gone on tv & said that baby could have been him.

We are living in a crazy world...sometimes lawless.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/23/13 - 09:15 am
Crime and deaths of any

Crime and deaths of any ethnic group in America is an "American" problem. Drop the race crap and celebrate our ethnic heritages. All ethnic groups have various problems-hispanic, asian, black and white. Don't talk about diversity and ethnicity without also accepting that with that there are problem unique to each group and the problem arises from the culture itself. All ethnicity's have gangs, growing pop. of unwed mothers in white and black, discrimination and higher standards for Asians to enter our colleges cause they outperform, etc. I think it is human nature for people to instinctively profile under various circumstance-like now every time I fly and see an Arab on the flight I get nervous which I know isn't logical just a reflex. Crime rates are really high and often blacks are associated with these crimes-none of us can change that fact. So people may react reflexively. I don't think it is discrimination nor racism just a biological reaction. I think there is a reflex in blacks to interpret an incident as racist too-kind of a cultural chip on their shoulder. What freedom are blacks denied and how are they discriminated against? None of this anecdotal crap of white folks are scared either. Tell me how white folks are all scared of blacks and grabbing their purses-what a load I and hundreds of thousands of other whites walk with as many or more blacks on the streets of NYC and Atlanta everyday and I see no such behaviors. I know there is positive discrimination for and plenty of evidence of that-even in college entrance. I know the rate of students with student loans in almost 100% at Paine College but no other college in the area (and man there is a bunch of them) can come close. That doesn't sound too bad. The Dems love to portray blacks as ignorant and poor-which is an insult and neither true. Hispanics and Asians are interesting populations. They both are a minority with similar health disparities as blacks, yet they do not reap the benefits of our system and then complain for more. It's hard to make an argument of whoa is me with the likes of powerful black men and women in every role in America from govt to entertainment.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/23/13 - 09:21 am
I think the Prez was just

I think the Prez was just referring to his criminal past of smokin' dope and grand theft auto and that as a criminal he could have been shot down in the streets. He must be implying he thinks Martin was a criminal like him and he is actually siding with Zimmerman. Gosh I find that shocking but it is the only logical conclusion. Progressive logic.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/23/13 - 09:21 am
Really good comments this morning,

and there is very little to add.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/23/13 - 09:26 am
Watch as this develops it

Watch as this develops it will go from whites vs blacks to Rep Whites vs Dem blacks. This is all a political ploy for the coming election cycle. The Dems need plenty to fight with because of their dramatic failure and no positive record. White racist Rep hate women, blacks, hispanics, gays, any religious group except Protestant-well fundamentalist Baptist, atheist, who am I forgetting????

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 09:33 am
True or not..it is FUNNIE!

Having her hair done at a Dallas beauty parlor, a Woman told a cautionary tale about racial prejudice. The story deserves a wider audience.
On a recent weekend in Las Vegas, the woman related, she won a bucketful of quarters at a slot machine. She took a break from the slots for dinner with her husband in the hotel dining room. But first she wanted to stash the quarters in her room.

"I'll be right back and we'll go to eat," she told her husband and she carried the coin laden bucket to the elevator. As she was about to walk into the elevator she noticed two men already aboard. Both were black.

One of them was big... very big... an intimidating figure. The woman froze.

Her first thought was: These two are going to rob me. Her next thought was: Don't be a bigot, they look like perfectly nice gentlemen. But racial stereotypes are powerful, and fear immobilized her. She stood and stared at the two men.

She felt anxious, flustered, ashamed. She hoped they didn't read her mind, but knew they surely did; her hesitation about joining them on the elevator was all too obvious. Her face was flushed. She couldn't just stand there, so with a mighty effort of will she picked up one foot and stepped forward and followed with the other foot and was on the elevator.

Avoiding eye contact, she turned around stiffly and faced the elevator doors as they closed. A second passed, and then another second, and then another. Her fear increased!

The elevator didn't move. Panic consumed her. My God, she thought, I'm trapped and about to be robbed! Her heart plummeted. Perspiration poured from every pore.

Then ... one of the men said, "Hit the floor." Instinct told her: Do what they tell you. The bucket of quarters flew upwards as she threw out her arms and collapsed on the elevator carpet. A shower of coins rained down on her. Take my money and spare me, she prayed. More seconds passed.

She heard one of the men say politely, "Ma'am, if you'll just tell us what floor you're going to, we'll push the button." The one who said it had a little trouble getting the words out. He was trying mightily to hold in a belly laugh.

She lifted her head and looked up at the two men. They reached down to help her up. Confused, she struggled to her feet. "When I told my man here to hit the floor," said the average sized one, "I meant that he should hit the elevator button for our floor. I didn't mean for you to hit the floor, ma'am." He spoke genially. He bit his lip. It was obvious he was having a hard time not laughing.

She thought: My God, what a spectacle I've made of myself. She was so humiliated to speak. She wanted to blurt out an apology, but words failed her. How do you apologize to two perfectly respectable gentlemen for behaving as though they were going to rob you? She didn't know what to say. The 3 of them gathered up the strewn quarters and refilled her bucket. When the elevator arrived at her floor, they insisted on walking her to her room. She seemed a little unsteady on her feet, and they were afraid she might not make it down the corridor. At her door they bid her a good evening.

As she slipped into her room she could hear them roaring with laughter while they walked back to the elevator. The woman brushed herself off. She pulled herself together and went downstairs for dinner with her husband.

The next morning flowers were delivered to her room - a dozen roses. Attached to EACH rose was a crisp one hundred dollar bill. The card said: "Thanks for the best laugh we've had in years."

It was signed,
Eddie Murphy and Bodyguard

Pops
Pops 07/23/13 - 09:35 am
You have it all wrong Fryer

"The George Zimmerman trial has caused a divide in communities across the nation."

No....the trial did not "cause" a divide......organizers of rallies such as yourself has caused a divide.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/23/13 - 09:36 am
Crime

There may not be buses going to Chicago but churches and community groups work year round trying to mentor and curb violence there. Those groups are not going to be in the national news everyday because you do not make the news doing what you are supposed to do. Many churches change lives through ministry and shun publicity. The notion that blacks are not addressing these issues is simply not true. Are the results too few, yes, but the work goes on. Just because you don't know about it does not negate that fact.

One distinction with the Brunswick case is that individuals were arrested. In Chicago, people get arrested and convicted. That is all the parents of Martin asked. I will never fault parents for wanting an arrest in the killing of their unarmed child.

People can decide to stay out of Chicago, but the stand your ground law will not protect anyone from paranoid gun carrying people who see a threatening person around every corner. In this climate we all in danger.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/23/13 - 09:41 am
All those in the white or

All those in the white or black community who think it us against them has it all wrong. It is just U.S.-hey a pun. I think it easy too see most of US want to just solve the problems for all of US.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 09:44 am
About this

One distinction with the Brunswick case is that individuals were arrested

Zimm was arrested & there was a trial....some can't accept the VERDICT!!

bigj706
bigj706 07/23/13 - 09:48 am
That's a good story Seenit.

That's a good story Seenit. By the way good morning.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 09:55 am
bigj706

Good am back atcha!

btw...are you as big as the bodyguard in that story? Just thinking about your name..

bigj706
bigj706 07/23/13 - 10:08 am
Probably as tall a little

Probably as tall a little slimmer

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/23/13 - 10:10 am
Some of the Rev's assumptions

Some of the Rev's assumptions may not fit yours, but at least give him props for for his efforts to effect positive change in the ghetto.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/23/13 - 10:13 am
Truth

You bring up the SYG law again. Just for the record, it was not invoked in the Sanford case. It was tried and defended purely on the premise of self defense.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 10:14 am
well ok then

When I win millions in the lotto I will need a bodyguard...a big healthy guy.....I thought YOU could fit that bill....it could happen in the next year because it is time for a win again....just hope you are up to the job...salary would be about $200,000 a year...you could buy your own bennies..probably would need you 3-4 days a week..some nights when I'm out drinking..yeh you would get a nice car to drive too.:):)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/23/13 - 10:22 am
Good points Biz on your 0915

"Tell me how white folks are all scared of blacks and grabbing their purses-what a load I and hundreds of thousands of other whites walk with as many or more blacks on the streets of NYC and Atlanta everyday"

As for this one, the only time I would give it a thought is if I am alone with someone of suspicious looks and behavior. If I were walking to my car parked on a dark side street and saw someone approaching with a hoodie hiding their face, I would be extremely nervous. It doesn't matter their skin color because I wouldn't be able to tell anyway.