Pray for persecuted Deen

Regarding the Paula Deen fiasco: I believe Paula Deen grew up hearing and believing that the truth will make you free.

I am what I am – black. However, to some black folks, they believe that the “n-word” represents them. They even teach this to their children, and their children teach it to their children. The point I am trying to convey to all people of color is that in the past, they have been not permitted in the debates that took place to divine who we are.

Years ago when I was a young man, I went to sleep a “Negro” and to my surprise I woke up and was told I was “negroid.” Lo and behold, a few years later I was told that I was “black,” and today I am being told that I am “African-American.” So when I apply for services, I am embarrassed when I see the word “other” under the race description on application forms.

Arkansas Gov. Orval Faubus and Alabama Gov. George Wallace both used the n-word openly during their segregationist administrations, and I believe they both retired with state pensions. They were rewarded, not persecuted as Paula Deen is being treated. Are there different standards for different folks?

God gives us all minds and imaginations so we can remember the past and peek into the future, to forget the negatives of life and concentrate on making positive changes. Pray for Ms. Deen.

syfredrick
syfredrick 07/23/13 - 06:26 am
To paraphrase

the late, great Flip Wilson: Paula Deen? Paula Dean?! Don't you worry about Paula. She's got hers.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/23/13 - 07:06 am
"You don't know Paula Deen" She is a carnival huckster. Ask her

old friends. Before she reinvented herself and her whole fr____ family.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/23/13 - 07:05 am
You mean Paula "Mo Money" Deen? You don't know Paula.

You mean Paula "Mo Money" Deen? You don't know Paula.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/23/13 - 07:05 am
She don't even speak to her old friends anymore. Whatever sells

She don't even speak to her old friends anymore. Whatever sells

chascushman
chascushman 07/23/13 - 09:47 am
It is hard for me to feel

It is hard for me to feel sympathy for Ms. Deen. She supported the lying, racist, America hating, Marxist/communist in the WH.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/23/13 - 09:56 am
obama sucks

more than I can ever say. Anyone that voted for him deserves the financial penalties he has inflicted upon this nation but to vilify someone for using the so-called "N" word is anti-social, pathetic and insane.

karradur
karradur 07/23/13 - 09:57 am
Wait a minute.

Shouldn't a business (in this case, Food Network) have the right to hire or fire anyone at their discretion? Isn't that how capitalism works?

csrareader
csrareader 07/23/13 - 10:59 am
They certainly can hire and

They certainly can hire and fire based on their whims, and the buying public can then make an informed decision as to whether to support the business. I think a great deal of people have made that decision. The Food Network is now one of the blocked channels in our home.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/23/13 - 01:28 pm
Paula

Deen was used a scapegoat. If you can loose your sponsors for uttering a word you used years ago, apologize and still be used as an example by sleezy, Corporate America who let her go because they thought it would hurt their Profit Margin they couldn't care less about the word or the race who it offended. Their bottom line was that they were afraid to loose money and blamed it all Paula. You talk about Back stabbers!Paula was treated like a racist and more when this woman who is always in a great mood makes people feel good about themselves. I can't believe that people jumped on the HATE WAGON because the leftist news said they should. This woman did nothing to you but folks are always willing to through another human being under the bus just because the 24 hr news talking heads say that's what needs to happen.
HANG IN THERE Paula and I wouldn't blame you one bit if you decided to retire and never do another interview. I'm so ashamed at the people who have nothing better to do in life than make problems for such a nice lady!

Darby
Darby 07/23/13 - 03:43 pm
"She supported the lying, racist, America

hating, Marxist/communist in the WH."

Hey, cut the lady some slack. I'm betting she has learned her lesson now that the dogs she laid down with have loosed their fleas on her.

Darby
Darby 07/23/13 - 03:53 pm
"Shouldn't a business (in this case, Food

Network) have the right to hire or fire anyone at their discretion? Isn't that how capitalism works?"

I'll support your thesis but with one exception. That's not a tenet of capitalism but of the free enterprise system.

Related, but not exactly the same.

Still, while the Food Network had the right, it was cowardly to do what they did in a misguided effort to shelter their bottom line.

Particularly now, when you can see first hand that their product is suffering because of their hasty actions. Can you say "backlash"?

I never liked the Food Network to begin with, but Paula Deen added a little zip and sparkle to their "menu". That channel is now a sure-fire cure for insomnia.

thauch12
thauch12 07/23/13 - 06:50 pm
The Paula Deen fiasco was so

The Paula Deen fiasco was so quickly forgotten by the mainstream media after the Trayvon Martin case heated up. It's funny how race relations in this country work. Anything to make a quick buck I guess...

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.