Both sons were loved dearly

If I had a son like Trayvon Martin, I would love him dearly and unconditionally. I would remember the first time I ever held him; I would remember his favorite toy; I would remember the cute things he would say; and I would remember his smile that would light up the room. I would look at all his pictures in the photo album. I would look at Trayvon’s picture when he was 12 and think what an angel he is. I would look at that picture and become sad.

What happened to my baby? He changed. He is 17, and I don’t know who he is.

I want my precious son back. I peek at his phone and see the gun in his hand. Oh my God, whom has he gotten involved with? I’ve told him to stay away from those boys. I look at the woman’s jewelry in one of the pictures. Could my baby be one of the thieves that I hear about in the news? I ask him about it, and he denies everything. I look on the phone, and see the drugs. I hope he stops before he is in too deep. Please, Trayvon, stop, don’t become a dealer or, worse, an addict.

People would see my son as a thug, but they don’t know the real Trayvon. He was such a beautiful child, a true delight when he was younger. I don’t know where the anger came from. I know he used racist language, but he certainly didn’t learn that from me. He began skipping school, and I have been there talking to them about Trayvon. He is such a smart kid. He should be getting much better grades than he is. I can’t even talk to Trayvon anymore. I want my baby back.

I’ve told him nothing good ever happens after dark. I’ve told him I don’t like his friends, and why doesn’t he hang out with that nice boy down the street? I’ve confronted him so many times, and he ignores me. I love my boy, and want him back. Maybe once these rough teen years are over with. If anything happens to him, I will be heartbroken. I would wonder how much our break-up has affected him.

My Trayvon is gone, and I am in total shock. My son, my son. Tears won’t stop. The pain will never stop. I try to put the blame on the murderer. I want revenge. Someone will pay for taking my son from me. If I had a gun, if I had a gun. The tears won’t stop.

Trayvon, why? Why did you change? This was not the real you. I am so sad, so numb, I can’t go on anymore. I love you so much, son. Living has become very difficult without you. I don’t blame the man who did this, I don’t believe he was racist. I feared this day would come, but never imagined your death being the result. I want you back, I want you back, I want my baby back. God, look after my son.

If I had a son like George Zimmerman, I would love him dearly.

specsta
specsta 07/23/13 - 09:46 pm
Can I Get My Two Minutes Back?

This letter should have taken a nosedive into the wastepaper basket.

deestafford
deestafford 07/23/13 - 11:45 pm
Sometimes people raise children they

don't want their children playing with. Apparently, Trayvon turned out to be that type of "child" who had no father in the house to keep him on the straight and narrow.

SGT49
SGT49 07/24/13 - 01:50 am
Red, yellow, black and white,

Red, yellow, black and white, this is happening all around us. Clever way to express this. Good letter, Steve.

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/24/13 - 05:38 am
Shameful

Shameful

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/24/13 - 05:41 am
Father in the home

I think we are seeing that a father in the home could make the difference of life or death..

ymnbde
ymnbde 07/24/13 - 06:39 am
the Osharpton industry certainly didn't love him

love disciplines, love rebukes, love sets one on the straight and narrow
love does not dramatize nor polarize nor exploit tragedy for personal gain

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/24/13 - 06:58 am
If a father does not chastise his kids, they are bastards to him

If a father does not chastise his kids, they are bastards to him

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/24/13 - 06:59 am
A man who does not provide for his family is worse than an infid

A man who does not provide for his family is worse than an infidel.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/24/13 - 07:01 am
Can't be mom&dad's fault because the government raised Tray....

Can't be mom&dad's fault because the government raised Tray....

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/24/13 - 08:14 am
Specta, In the trash-NO. This

Specta, In the trash-NO. This letter is so true of the violence that is taking place in some of the communities and what happens when there is no father in the home. Mothers having child after child with different men who do not stay around or offer any kind of help. Owensjef, That is the shameful part. What about the baby who was killed in the stroller by one of these forgotten kids? Should he not be just as important? I am sure the mother of the dead baby loved her son just as much as the mother of the shooter. The baby had not lost his soul yet but the shooter must have.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 07/24/13 - 08:19 am
You can raise a child in a

You can raise a child in a traditional, loving two parent household with strong moral values and that child can still find themselves on the wrong path. True, you see it happening more in "broken" families, but the reality of it is that people make their own choices on how they want to live their lives.

I thought this was a very thought provoking letter that made me reflect to that fact - how many killers and other criminals were looked back upon and were those sweet, smart kids that veered off the path at some point. We can only hope that if we are teaching our kids to respect life, be kind to one another and be good, productive citizens that it sticks. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of parents that aren't teaching their kids the "golden rule".

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 07/24/13 - 08:31 am
??????????

[filtered word] was that about?

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/24/13 - 08:37 am
The Sandy Hooks killer had a

The Sandy Hooks killer had a lovin' mommy, Boston strangler, Green River Killer, BTW killer, Hilter, Stalin, Pol pot, etc, etc, etc, etc. Little kids with lovin' Mommy's grow up and can do some pretty awful things. There is no point to this letter. Both Martin and Zimmerman could have had the best upbringing, the most loving parents, and still turn out to be evil incarnate. Remember the Boston Bombers parents were outraged that America killed their sweet innocent sons. The parents have no objectivity and shouldn't have any influence in a court of law. Both parents heard the cry of their child-well either one is lying or both just desperate and delusional.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/24/13 - 09:10 am
I somewhat agree with Red

I somewhat agree with Red Headed Step Child.

"You can raise a child in a traditional, loving two parent household with strong moral values and that child can still find themselves on the wrong path. "

But the odds are greatly reduced if raised in a stable two parent household. The other 1 parent way, greatly increases the odds that
the kid is headed down the wrong path early on and from then on.

Kinda sounds like one of my college debate arguments.
Could have, Should have, Would have, MIGHT have, still does
not solve the problem it only proves it.

A child is likely to do the right thing if taught the right thing. A traditional, loving two parent household with strong moral values is the right thing and has been proven to be so for 1000's of years. Sure a few still fall to the dark side.

But no where near the vast numbers produced by broken homes.
Crime statistics prove this.

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/24/13 - 10:04 am
The kid was returning from

The kid was returning from buying snacks, why do some continue to trash this kid. Bizkit and nocnoc thanks for showing some class and not joining the crowd.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/24/13 - 09:29 am
@bizkit

Well said.
Of all my years as an educator, some of the most challenging students were those whose parents were highly professional, had the job to die for, lived in the right neighborhood, were members of the right club, had a nanny, went on the vacation that I could only dream about on my salary. To their credit they earned what they had so this is not about resentment. But they never saw their child as a problem. When their child acted up it was a growth issue, when a child of less affluence acted out it was because they were innately "bad." They were masters at projection. Many are still active in public life today.

DON'T MAKE ME CALL NAMES.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/24/13 - 09:57 am
The letter is a true picture.

The letter is a true picture. That is how a mother would see her child. That is why the only picture used of Trayvon was the 14 year old picture. The mother, the prosecutor, the media never used his 17 year old picture.

Trayvon was no longer the little darling that he was at 14....but that is how mom will remember him. That is how the "let's stir the pot" media, DOJ, and our president want you to see him. But it just isn't true. We know now about the gun, the dope, the jewelry, the tattoos, that he bragged about his fighting ability and beating other people, and all of the other signs that Trayvon was no angel and may well have been casing the neighborhood.

Regardless of the sweet young Trayvon, you cannot ignore the evidence that Trayvon elevated whatever had gone on that night into a physical confrontation and, at that point, George Zimmerman was completely legal in what he did. All of the evidence, even some of the prosecution witnesses, substantiated Zimmerman's story. What happened was tragic for the Martin family, but it was not a crime of any type. Not murder, not manslaughter, not racial.....it was simply self defense as confirmed by a court, a judge, and a jury.....all of which were under extreme pressure to find Zimmerman guilty of SOMETHING......but the evidence just was not there. In fact, there was NO evidence of ANY illegal wrongdoing on Zimmerman's part.

The black community marched and protested and forced the authorities to make an arrest and prefer charges when the authorities already knew there was no crime committed. They did it to pacify the troublemakers. You got your charges. You got your trial. The prosecutor used every trick in the book to get a conviction. They blocked relevant evidence. They blocked Martin's history. They threw in a lesser charge at the last minute. But the jury fortunately considered the facts.

My advice to any of you who are raising knotheaded little hard case punks and thugs is to tell them that assaulting folks can get them shot....it's the law......and rightfully so. With the culture we have today, I can see why this might be scary for some parents......so you had better start PARENTING instead of justifying bad behavior as "culture".

m_matt
m_matt 07/24/13 - 12:04 pm
Racist is as Racist Saids

Yes, I'm pulling the card because, if it looks like a duck...you know the rest. The writer of this poem (and all those who agree with it) is expressing in his "way" that Trayvon Martin was a thug deserving of what happened to him, and George Zimmerman is some kind of saint. Trayvon Martin didn't have a criminal record. George Zimmerman had a history of violence, but let's forget about that. Zimmerman followed Trayvon with a gun, Trayvon was minding his business with some skittles and tea, but let's forget about that. Trayvon wasn't on trial, Zimmerman was, let's forget about that too, the court did. How convenient.

In the Case of WWB

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/24/13 - 10:48 am
dichotomy You don't know that

dichotomy You don't know that kid, you act as if he was ploting to fight George Zimmernan, I think his plans was a trip to the store and then watch a game. you have him as public enemy nuber 1.

ymnbde
ymnbde 07/24/13 - 11:04 am
the race cards have expired

they were all way over balance anyway
they will be redeemed no longer
no more will be issued
so it's back to content of character cards now...

Darby
Darby 07/24/13 - 11:12 am
"This letter should have taken a nosedive

into the wastepaper basket."

I agree with Specsta. The writer was misguided enough to refer to the victim Zimmerman as a murderer and failed to openly admit that Trayvon Martin was a thug. It was implied, however.

Except for that, the letter was almost perfect in it's content and message. Almost is not good enough.

It's just that I'm a stickler for accuracy.

It might have been a little more effective had the writer had assumed the pseudonym of a woman.

Darby
Darby 07/24/13 - 11:18 am
"The kid was returning from buying snacks,

why do some continue to trash this kid."

And Al Capone was a major sponsor of Depression Era soup kitchens in Chicago.

What's your point?

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 07/24/13 - 11:44 am
Outrageous and disgusting

How dare you act like you know what Trayvon's mother is thinking or feeling. You don't know her and you don't know her son. You've already convicted him of being a thief, a drug dealer, and a killer wanna-be. I suppose that to you, that's a given due to his race and circumstances. Then you denounce the idea that Zimmerman is a racist. Never mind he stalked and killed a young man simply due to the fact that he was young and black and attempting to protect himself from a much larger armed man who had been following him at night. There is no excuse for Zimmerman and there is no excuse for you. If being black made Treyvon a thug then I guess you need to go back to pressing your sheets, building your wooden crosses, and filling up your gas cans. Just remember, you're not allowed to hide your face when you are wearing your white robe.

countyman
countyman 07/24/13 - 11:39 am
Awful

This is clearly ridiculous, and the Augusta Chronicle should be ashamed of this garbage. Trayvon was going back to his dad's house, and I don't understand why people are bringing up fathers not in the home.

I do find it strange Zimmerman is the one with the criminal record, but people wants us to believe Trayvon is the thug..

Why didn't Trayvon have a gun that night? Real thugs would have killed Zimmerman instantly, or atleast call one of their homeboys for backup and not a teenage girl.

myfather15
myfather15 07/24/13 - 11:39 am
m_matt

Trayvon was minding his business, until the point he decided to take matters into his own hands and give Zimmerman a "closed fracture" in the nose and beat his head into the concrete; when he did this, he sealed his fate, unfortunately!! We ALL make mistakes and Trayvon made a BIG one, by underestimating this guy that was FOLLOWING him, not "stalking" him.

But the fact remains, in this Country we have the RIGHT to self-defense!! If you can prove self-defense in court, you go free, period!! But I'm sure the bleeding heart liberals would love to have the GOOD people of this Country defenseless and the criminals running wild; since they love to always side with and lend their sympathy to the criminals!! Nothing new in that!!

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/24/13 - 11:40 am
Skittles and Iced Tea.

Two of the three ingredients in something called "Purple Drank." I believe this article says the third ingredient is cough syrup with codeine. The two "snacks" might have been more than just snacks.

Steve wrote an epistle on Martin and mentioned Zimmerman in one sentence. Maybe biased but I guess his point is that all mothers love their children unconditionally and that is as it should be! I haven't always made choices my Mother would be proud of but at 83 she still loves me unconditionally.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 07/24/13 - 11:55 am
Be careful...

ACES and others.....you reap what you have sown into the atmosphere. No one is immune.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 07/24/13 - 11:58 am
Skittles and Tea

How many moms are on this board are high up right now?

So he deserved to die because he had skittles and tea and you ASSUME that he was going to make drugs.......wow.

bigj706
bigj706 07/24/13 - 12:04 pm
Sweet son your reading more

Sweet son your reading more into it than you need to just hopping on any theory. I'm from the state where the purple drank started. Its mostly when you mix it the colors that it makes are skittle like not"let me go gets some skittles and tea to make some drank" OH me OH my!

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/24/13 - 12:06 pm
Hold on...

Martin was not some innocent child in middle school. He was expelled from school, was using marijuana, had been caught with stolen property on him and a screwdriver in his bookbag but that was all brushed under the carpet because the school system didn't want a bad rep. Zimmerman isn't the sharpest tool in the shed for following Martin but he did not stalk anyone, he broke no laws and why do I hear "people need to get involved, quit turning their heads, be aware of who is in the neighborhood." Yet Martin is almost awarded sainthood because all he was doing was walking with tea and skittles with no bad intentions. You have no idea what he was doing and the evidence supports him beating Zimmerman. He made his bed and unluckily for him it turned out to be one covered in dirt....