Can both stand ground?

This letter is to all the legal eagles in our area in regard to the Stand Your Ground Law.

When the Trayvon Martin case first came to light, I had thought that both Martin and Neighborhood Watch captain George Zimmerman could use the Stand Your Ground Law, as it
applied to both.

However during the trial I believed Zimmerman would be found guilty, as he was the stalker giving Martin the right to punch his lights out.

Was Martin given the right to protect himself under the law?

Michael Ferguson

Augusta

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/22/13 - 01:23 pm
You really shouldn't call

You really shouldn't call Zimmerman a liar if you have been caught in a lie. Just kind advice.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/22/13 - 01:25 pm
"According to the law, you

"According to the law, you only have to THINK your life is in danger, not that it really is. "

NOT true....you need a "credible threat." Following, does not rise to that level. Ask a lawyer.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 07/22/13 - 01:27 pm
HA & RM

Kind of tired of repeating myself on this. I said TM had demons, was violent, had a history of violence, had a history of drug use, etc. Was he the aggressor? Who knows? We could probably go round and round on this for days. If I am on foot and someone is following me by car, I will use any means I have available if I feel my life is in danger. Anyone of you that says you would do otherwise ... well, I hate it for you.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 01:28 pm
There was likely a felony

There was likely a felony being committed against Z, not the other way around. When a felony is being committed and you believe you are in danger, lock and load, ready on the left, ready on the right..FIRE!Rachel Jantell, his grieving girlfriend, was a lovely young lady with a 3.0 GPA in school. Don't be dissing her.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/22/13 - 01:30 pm
"Was he the aggressor? Who

"Was he the aggressor? Who knows? "

Yet you still say Zimmerman committed murder, despite what the jury said. You have NO problem convicting HIM. You can see why we are skeptical....or at least you should.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 07/22/13 - 01:30 pm
HA

OK, which goes back to the point that if following someone is not a credible threat, then calling 911 is pointless, right? You just said following someone does not rise to that level so what's the point? It's not a credible threat and it's not against the law.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 01:30 pm
"If I am on foot and someone

"If I am on foot and someone is following me by car, I will use any means I have available if I feel my life is in danger."

Thanks for the admission. That's probably what happened. He was afraid and not a bright kid. Too bad he was wrong about it all and lost his life.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 07/22/13 - 01:32 pm
HA

A person is dead. GZ is a liar and I don't believe his story. He tried to scam the public. The fact that the saved someone from a car wreck doesn't negate that he lied about being indigent. I don't believe anything he says.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 07/22/13 - 01:35 pm
Riverman

First, I admitted nothing but using whatever means are available. Second, he wasn't wrong about any of it, was he? He knew GZ was a menace, that's why he was afraid.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/22/13 - 01:35 pm
Well....you said that

Well....you said that Zimmerman is a murder, knowing that he was acquitted, and that it was proof that he lied, then you said that it was just your opinion. I don't believe anything you say for the same reason. Fair is fair.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 01:36 pm
"A person is dead. GZ is a

"A person is dead. GZ is a liar and I don't believe his story."

I guess that sums it up. You don't believe what the jury believed. Facts don't matter.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/22/13 - 01:38 pm
Oh...he knew Zimmerman was a

Oh...he knew Zimmerman was a menace? How? How did he "know" that?

Using your logic, I suppose Zimmerman just knew that Martin was a law breaking thug.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/22/13 - 01:37 pm
Riverman...facts really don't

Riverman...facts really don't matter to some.....just read my LTE today, and you will see even more of it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 01:40 pm
MR, so are you saying...

So are you saying M was justified or NOT in punching Z? Or are we back to the contention that he didn't punch him first? Your argument seems to have changed to if M was afraid it would be alright for him to attack.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 07/22/13 - 01:39 pm
Well,

wish I could stick around but have to go to work. Thanks for the debate. Thanks for the warning, Sean. I don't apologize for my thoughts or beliefs on this subject but I do apologize if my tone crossed a line. Not the way I want a thoughtful debate to go. Take care.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 01:42 pm
HA, great letter. I didn't

HA, great letter. I didn't make the connection.

KSL
KSL 07/23/13 - 12:04 pm
I did.

I did.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.