What makes a race issue?

Let me understand something: There is no white caucus in Georgia government. There is no White Entertainment Television network.

When two blacks almost beat a white couple to death on Augusta’s Riverwalk, that is not a race issue. There are no all-white colleges in Augusta because that would be racist! There is no White Panthers group in Augusta, but I think the East Boundary Boys might kill a white person for driving through their “hood” – and that’s not considered racist. When it is black-on-white crime, I think it goes underreported, yet when a white man kills a black man and is found innocent, then that becomes a race issue.

Am I missing something?

The Rev. Al Sharpton is doing his best to inflame people like he did with the Tawana Brawley case. Surprise! It looks like some people prefer fighting to reasoning.

Augusta is better than that. But you know what they say about excuses.

Charles Elliott

Augusta

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/18/13 - 05:16 pm
So since no one in my family

So since no one in my family had any wealth to speak of, does that mean I have the same starting point as a non-white....except for my disadvantage that the law requires due to Affirmative Action.

chascushman
chascushman 07/18/13 - 05:18 pm
"Thomas Shapiro argues that

"Thomas Shapiro argues that wealth is passed along from generation to generation, giving whites a better "starting point" in life than other races."
seeitB4, Actually he is correct and it because that over 70% of black babies are born to unwed mothers so the only thing that is passed down is poor broken families. People need to look closely at what the 'Great Society' has created along with the liberals, democrats and many of the black leaders.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/13 - 05:28 pm
Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 05:33 pm
The problem with the strategy

The problem with the strategy is you can't right past wrongs-all you can do is move ahead and fix them-as H. Clinton would say. Like Affirmative Action initially sounds like a good idea. But you can't discriminate to end discrimination-it's just ludicrous. The whole notion of social justice would just create more injustice. Besides how far back in history do we want to go with that sort of logic?

bigj706
bigj706 07/18/13 - 05:35 pm
Another nugget of wisdom from

Another nugget of wisdom from my favorite poster. Now I have to say as a non white not everyone is sitting around blaming whites as a matter of fact very few are sitting doing that. Its the small majority that everyone concentrates on I have had my own talks with young ones who try to have that mentality trying to straighten them out while showing them a positive example.

Hello Seenit

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/13 - 05:45 pm
Hello bigj

Something told me that you were NOT sitting around & blaming anyone....thanks for giving us an eye opener on here...now have a great night..I have to feed a man & dog..the dog will come first!
:):)

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 05:52 pm
Well I don't like to

Well I don't like to categorize Americans it isn't us against them. All the problems in every ethnic group-white, Asian, Hispanic, or Black is every American's problem. I'd love to hear some suggestions on how to fix our problems. I'd love to blame someone else for all my screw-ups in life-but who am I kiddin'. Life is like a boat and we often get off course and have to right our way-or you can go in circles too I tried that for awhile-hee,hee. Hey it's Summer let's get all the poster to take a cruise together and we can solve all the problems of the world. If we try to sink the ship well then Capn' Biz will have to pull a pirate and hold you all hostage till you solve our problems. By hook or crook. LOL. Hey maybe we can get the AC to pay for all our trip-Sean start workin' on it please. Make for good press for the AC.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/18/13 - 06:10 pm
First hit

If I were ever a defendant in a criminal case I would want Mark O'Mara or Johnny Cochran (were he not deceased) as my attorney. They both out lawyered the State in their respective cases, but not guilty does not mean innocent. In my opinion, both cases led to defendants who were NOT innocent being let go. I almost said they were set free, but tragically neither is free.

There are no do overs here and no winners; two families will never be the same, but there are many lessons to learn. One is what my family taught us as siblings: if you start a fight and your sibling gets the best of you, you don't up the ante because you are getting the snot beat out of you. In fact in our house the kid who started the mess was the one who got punished. By starting I don't mean landing the first punch but the one who truly initiates the whole encounter.

Zimmerman was the adult, more than 10 years Martin's senior, but he used poor judgement by getting out of his car. Hopefully he will have time to think about his actions and find peace through the admission that he started the cycle when he got out of the car.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/18/13 - 06:24 pm
What evidence is there that

What evidence is there that Zimmerman is guilty of a crime? Getting out of your car is legal....punching someone repeatedly in the face is NOT.

bigj706
bigj706 07/18/13 - 06:36 pm
We got it Humble, Zimmerman

We got it Humble, Zimmerman didn't do anything against the law. Now put a smile on that avatar looks like your upset lol.

specsta
specsta 07/18/13 - 08:13 pm
White Privilege

Examples of white privilege:

- The freedom to not worry that you could wind up on a slab in the morgue just because you were stopped by the police for a minor traffic infraction. The police are there to help you and you trust them all the time. They would never disrespect, beat you up or kill you for no reason

- The freedom to shop in stores without a security camera zooming in on your person or a security person following you around.

- The freedom to wear hooded sweatshirts and run down the street, and no one thinks you did something wrong.

- The freedom to go into a job interview and never wonder if they will not hire you because of your race.

- The freedom to walk across a parking lot and no one is locking their door as you walk by or looking at you with suspicion.

- The ability to get a loan, buy a new home or start a business, because a relative put in a good word with the banker at the country club.

- The freedom to go to a newsstand or turn on a TV show and see your race represented at all times on magazine covers, books and commercials.

- The freedom to not have to train a young child how to deal with racists who call him/her the "n" word.

- The respect of not having a cashier place your change on the counter, instead of in your hand, when making a purchase.

- The freedom to own a flashy, new luxury car, and no one wonders if it was bought with drug money.

And that's just a small snippet of white privilege.

specsta
specsta 07/18/13 - 08:13 pm
White Privilege

Examples of white privilege:

And that's just a small snippet of white privilege.

Darby
Darby 07/18/13 - 09:26 pm
"I am not qualified to speak on behalf of

people of color but I can say you are missing something."

There is not a race or culture in this country that has not had enough time or opportunity to get it's act together and stand on it's own two feet. The very fact that YOU believe that "people of color" need a spokesperson should set of an alarm in your head. Obviously, it doesn't.

It's time for all Americans to take control and responsibility for their own lives. None of us need to be "wards of the state". None of us need to be "protected" in the manner of the snail darter or the spotted owl.

Protection like that equates to a modern form of slavery. The more dependent we become, the more powerful the government becomes.

Yet that is exactly what is going on in this country. Too many of us have given control of our lives to the government. It's got to stop if we are ever to regain our dignity and our freedom.

Darby
Darby 07/18/13 - 09:30 pm
"And that's just a small snippet of white

privilege."

Wrong again. That's just a classic example of irresponsible and unsubstantiated race baiting.

Darby
Darby 07/18/13 - 09:35 pm
Detroit filed for bankruptcy today. I'm sure

Specsta can find a way to blame white America.

allhans
allhans 07/18/13 - 09:48 pm
What happened to the Detroit?

What happened to the Detroit? Politics?
Does this mean that they were not among the privileged receiving an auto bailout......

follower 07/18/13 - 09:55 pm
I will reply to your post

I will reply to your post "specsta".

1- I'm not concerned about being stopped because I will respect the officer and cooperate with his request without an attitude. It works for any color or nationality. Try it next time.

2- If you come to my place of business, we'll treat you well, any gladly accept your money and ask you to come back. But be warned, I profile.
Not on color, but whether you look like a thug, black or white.

3- if it's cold outside and you look like you are getting the cardio up, ie:
Sweatpants, running shoes, etc, I won't think a thing of it. But if you don't live in my neighborhood and are running in warm weather with a hoody, yep, I'll be suspicious.

4- If there is a need and you are qualified and speak well, I will hire. But understand, face tattoos and droopy pants will not work for me and most business owners.

5- The locked door thing has happened to me. And I'm not a bad looking 50 something white guy. Never let someone else rent your head space.

6- Loans are based on the risk for the bank. Been turned down for the business loan when starting. Their loss. I worked hard and proved them wrong. No one else gave me a loan either. I started very small. Didn't whine, just dug in.

7- That one is weak. And why does it bother you?

8- That's just representative of poor people skills. Shop where you are appreciated. If my cashier did that, it would be over quickly.

9- If YOU know you earned it................again, don't let others rent your headspace. Besides, how do you know what they are thinking? Maybe they like your new car.

White privilege is bunk. It's a privilege to live in a country that allows a diversity of opinion and the opportunity to make of yourself just about anything you want. But rather than complain about perceived obstacles,
make sure your drive and determination is sufficient to reach the desired outcome.
'

Darby
Darby 07/18/13 - 10:00 pm
White privilege is a whine that losers

resort to when they've run out of just about every other excuse.

follower 07/18/13 - 10:01 pm
Sorry specsta, skipped the

Sorry specsta, skipped the question on the "n" word. There are ignorant people of all colors. They are not worth your time. Teach them to be mental giants, someone who knows who they are, and what is truly important in life.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/18/13 - 10:31 pm
Question?

What is "race baiting?"

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 10:51 pm
I thought conservatives are

I thought conservatives are always complaining how blacks and Hispanics are privileged. Free food, free housing, free health care, free education, etc, etc etc. That seems the conservative mantra doesn't it.
Just saying. Then the lamentations of ole White Anglo-Saxon Protestant becoming extinct and being discriminated against. My gosh everybody feels discriminated against nowadays-by religion, by ethnicity, by socioeconomic group, by age, by gender, etc etc etc

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 10:55 pm
Truth. Race baiting is a game

Truth. Race baiting is a game kids play to see who can bait the worm on their hooks the fastest. Don't ya just wish.

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/18/13 - 11:05 pm
Specsta, I have been a

Specsta, I have been a salesman for my father and my own business for the past 43 years. Never have I had a tattoo, piercing of any kind, baggy pants, long hair, used drugs, drank too much, acted out with violence or in fights because someone looked at me wrong. To do so is just stupid and what causes people to fear others. And as follower, I treat all my customers with respect no matter what the race or what country from which they came. To do so would be bad for my earnings and I want all I can make even though I need no more. I just have the drive to keep working and achieving and not white privilege.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/18/13 - 11:11 pm
Not qualified to speak

"Let me tell you what YOU are missing. You are missing the fact that after decades and decades of being scapegoated, some people have simply had enough. More and more of them are not going to tolerate it anymore."

The same can be said by people of color regarding the perpetual ascribing of negative behavior of some to the entire group as is done on these pages nearly every day. Now if you have not done so, that does not negate the fact that it is a continuous theme: Such as calling people what amounts to free loaders, takers, and the like.

You may want to read my post again. No where did I say people of color need a "spokesperson". Clearly your anger on this issue has skewed your understanding of what I wrote. That's unfortunate because usually your comments tend to be quite measured.

Maybe tomorrow......

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 11:40 pm
Well Atlanta and Columbia

Well Atlanta and Columbia county are filled with affluent African-americans. I think the media likes to portray blacks as mostly poor and unsuccessful because it plays into politics. I live in a affluent neighborhood and I wager close to half are black. I think a couple are from European descent from their accents, a few Hispanic families. I don't think there is an Asian family come think of it. There are a few mixed ethnic families too come think of it (black-white and black-indian) But Gosh America really is the land of opportunity. We haven't had any racial tensions during neighborhood association meetings but a lot of complaints about the color of mailboxes, driving too fast through the neighborhood, not paying fees, not cutting grass-mundane stuff. Gosh we all really do have the same concerns.

mybaskett
mybaskett 07/18/13 - 11:43 pm

Follower from a women of color, well said.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 12:08 am
Well JRC I was with you at

Well JRC I was with you at "Never have I had a tattoo, piercing of any kind, baggy pants," but after that I lost you man. Fortunately that was long ago and I grew out of it. What is they say nowadays. "I had issues". Yeah I had a few demons to kill and boy I sure killed em dead-Keith Richards is a wimp. Proof of God is I survived and don't stammer around like Ozzy Osborne as most of my friends from that period-and they all have numerous health problems (which I have none nor take any medications which I admit I am proud of at my age). I quit every vice known to man by pure will (I didn't find God for few decades) and somehow managed to get it together (I had no work ethic before then). Then I got married and had kids and actually became a human being. My wife nor kids really know much of that period-what tales I have told my wife she doesn't believe. Once I reflect it does sound bizarre and unbelievable. You can almost convince yourself it wasn't real and didn't happen. Seems so far away and it is hard to relate to that person I was. I killed em good and good riddance to that Biz. I have sooooooooooo much to be thankful for. But for the Grace of God I'd be in prison rather than an affluent neighborhood. Most people see me as a laid back warm, honest, easy going,funny guy (like a big kid) which is true-but if they only knew the demon I killed. I've known a lot of folks with demons to kill and they didn't fair as well.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 12:16 am
My last posit has a point. I

My last posit has a point. I can empathize with all peoples struggles but I do get mad at times and wonder if a loser like me can get it together then you sure as hell can. YOU as figurative anyone of any ethnicity or creed.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/19/13 - 12:18 am
Race baiting

@bizkit
Thanks for clearing that up. I can say none of that is going on here.
Now let's all sleep a little better tonight.

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/19/13 - 12:22 am
Biz, in jest all I said was

Biz, in jest all I said was that I worked hard, did not depend on others, conformed to the rules of society and treated everyone with respect. Glad you lost the demons. Alot of others need to do the same.