What makes a race issue?

Let me understand something: There is no white caucus in Georgia government. There is no White Entertainment Television network.

When two blacks almost beat a white couple to death on Augusta’s Riverwalk, that is not a race issue. There are no all-white colleges in Augusta because that would be racist! There is no White Panthers group in Augusta, but I think the East Boundary Boys might kill a white person for driving through their “hood” – and that’s not considered racist. When it is black-on-white crime, I think it goes underreported, yet when a white man kills a black man and is found innocent, then that becomes a race issue.

Am I missing something?

The Rev. Al Sharpton is doing his best to inflame people like he did with the Tawana Brawley case. Surprise! It looks like some people prefer fighting to reasoning.

Augusta is better than that. But you know what they say about excuses.

Charles Elliott

Augusta

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 07/18/13 - 05:52 am
So, so true Mr. Elliott.

So, so true Mr. Elliott. Enough said!

deestafford
deestafford 07/18/13 - 06:58 am
What makes something a race issue is when

one or more of the ''race pimps" come out and tell the black people that they are victims and some whitey has "dissed" them. Then the blacks that are happy being on the liberal democratic plantation respond to their black "leaders".

Did you ever wonder why there are no "leaders" of any other racial group? Could it be the other groups' individuals feel that they can think for themselves and don't need to be led around by their noses?

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/18/13 - 07:07 am
Am I missing something?

I am not qualified to speak on behalf of people of color but I can say you are missing something. You are missing a whole lot. And when you really are sincere about "getting it" you will "get it." For now your question is rhetorical and I "believe" you want an argument, not an explanation.

How can I tell? When people really want to better understand a different perspective most create a dialogue with those persons first on an intimate level such as in your own church, at your job, your community service group___one on one so neither of you is in a position to grand stand. Now if you do not know any other people that you "are missing something" about, that is a good place to start.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/18/13 - 07:19 am
It amazes me that people keep

It amazes me that people keep stating, as a matter of fact, that Zimmerman used racial profiling, yet even the FBI, after extensive investigation, could find no evidence to support this theory. Why are SO MANY, SO WILLING to ignore any and all evidence in this case to justify the picture they have already made up in their mind?

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/18/13 - 07:24 am
Federal Government uses "Reverends" to control village.

Federal Government uses "Reverends" to control village.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/18/13 - 07:25 am
If you can't trust your "REV", who can you trust, fine sister.

If you can't trust your "REV", who can you trust, fine sister.

allhans
allhans 07/18/13 - 07:53 am
HA They are being told how to

HA They are being told how to think. It's easier that way. It is too hard, takes too much time, to listen to the facts.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/18/13 - 07:57 am
Humble

I have wonder the same thing on many issues. I think some start with a conclusion and work backwards from their conclusion, ignoring whatever is necessary to support their conclusion.

Others see everything in an emotional light which always excludes facts.

Some see everything according to race.

I share your frustration as one who tries to use rational reasoning based on facts.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 07/18/13 - 08:18 am
When people really want to

When people really want to better understand a different perspective most create a dialogue with those persons first on an intimate level such as in your own church, at your job, your community service group___one on one so neither of you is in a position to grand stand. Now if you do not know any other people that you "are missing something" about, that is a good place to start (Truth Matters).

Truth Matters, your recommendation would be good if Charles Elliott's letter concerned only a private dispute about bias. Now that the dispute is already in the streets, the letter is appropriate.

Do you really think Mr. Elliott is in a position to dialogue privately with public leaders such as Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Eric Holder, and our president? Do you really think those leaders haven't been grand-standing already?

If Mr. Elliott missed anything, he failed to mention additional examples of racial bias by the media and by leaders of such groups as the NAACP. Speaking of the NAACP, can you imagine the uproar there would be if whites set up a national organization aimed expressly at the advancement of people of non-color?

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/18/13 - 08:24 am
You have

to understand that most blacks, even though given the same opportunity, do not take advantage of the educational system in a positive way. al sharpton, from his million dollar home owned on the backs of poor, illiterate blacks, tells them that whitey is trying to eradicate them so get them first. obama, holder, jealous, rangel, cbc, naacp, sclc, bet, new black pandas, oops I mean panthers, and every homeboy thug punk will tell you (blacks) to get your "share" by any means possible. Even if that means trying to kill innocent white people minding their own business. Haven't heard a word from obama or holder about the negroes beating the caucasians on your Riverwalk. Wonder why that is?

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/18/13 - 10:08 am
Questions

@LTE
Here are some points my friends have made to help me focus on one of the issues you raise:
1) You do not blame the couple that was brutally beaten on Riverwalk for their senseless beating by making insensitive remarks such as they should not have been there. Rightfully, you blame the suspects in this monstrous act.
2) You do not blame Nicole Simpson for her own murder. All wished she had left OJ long before, but she DID NOT cause her murder.(At least no rational person blamed her.)
3) You do not blame Natalee Holloway for her own disappearance and killing. Many stories were released about under-age drinking and smoking but none of that made this kid a person who was asking to be killed. (Greta VanSustern devoted nearly a year to covering this single story. Why? Because of the safety and social implications.) my friends say that just because there is a dialogue about race, it does not mean that all whites are being called racist.

It is one thing to accept a verdict based on law, but if the law is not applied equitably, the law needs to be fixed. That to me is what this should be about__Not demonizing a dead teen-ager because of what he was wearing. If he had been wearing a 3 piece suit like Bernie Madoff I guess he would be alive because no one in a 3 piece suit would be "up to no good." That kind of talk makes no sense at all.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/18/13 - 10:10 am
@LTE

The above post was in que while waiting for Wireless connection issue to be fixed.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/18/13 - 10:13 am
NAACP

"The NAACP was formed partly in response to the continuing horrific practice of lynching and the 1908 race riot in Springfield, the capital of Illinois and resting place of President Abraham Lincoln. Appalled at the violence that was committed against blacks, a group of white liberals that included Mary White Ovington and Oswald Garrison Villard, both the descendants of abolitionists, William English Walling and Dr. Henry Moscowitz issued a call for a meeting to discuss racial justice. Some 60 people, seven of whom were African American (including W. E. B. Du Bois, Ida B. Wells-Barnett and Mary Church Terrell), signed the call, which was released on the centennial of Lincoln's birth."

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/18/13 - 10:18 am
I don't see people demonizing

I don't see people demonizing a dead teenager for what he was wearing. I see people demonizing a dead teenager for committing physical assault for which he lost his life. Again...there is zero evidence that he was profiled for any reason other than it is suspicious to see ANY person walking through people's yards, going from house to house in the night. That is what the EVIDENCE revealed.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/18/13 - 10:19 am
"I gotta tell you it often

"I gotta tell you it often feels that the House Republicans are set up to advance only one group."

Yeah...working, tax-paying Americans. The nerve of those Republicans.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/18/13 - 10:29 am
@HA

I could not agree more if you mean they should be concerned about tax paying Americans. I am one of those and expect that my interests and concerns are considered even if I didn't vote for some of them. They pocket my hard earned money every time they have a vote on an issue to "send a message." I help pay for their family Cadillac insurance program yet they say nothing about improving ACA for all; they just want to repeal it , even though it is based on a GOP template.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/18/13 - 10:32 am
Repealing the ACA IS good for

Repealing the ACA IS good for all. And it is NOT based on a GOP template. One Republican Governor does NOT speak for the whole party.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/18/13 - 10:41 am
I am predicting that

I am predicting that ObamaCare will fall under it own weight. This may take a couple of years. They may try to keep the name "affordable care act" but it will not resemble the law as is was passed. If this law was so great Obama would not have to spend so much of his time trying to convince us how great it is......he know its in trouble already!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/18/13 - 11:29 am
@ HA :Heritage foundation

....is what I am referring to. Not the same as GOP but certainly representative of GOP thought/ideology.

Have a good afternoon. Duty calls me.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/13 - 11:58 am
Logic has gone bye bye

Take 1 at the time..
) You do not blame the couple that was brutally beaten on Riverwalk
No, I don't--they didn't attack the punks first..

You do not blame Nicole Simpson for her own murder---again no....she was brutally stabbed & she DID NOT attack anyone..

You do not blame Natalee Holloway for her own disappearance and killing---again no,.....do you see a common thread here....THESE PEOPLE DID NOT ATTACK FIRST....sometimes it is tough isn't it......our eyes are blinded by our "feelings"

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/18/13 - 11:59 am
Han shot

Han shot first.............Martin hit first.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/13 - 12:32 pm
Another look at punks on Riverwalk

Ok now...use this logic...

The punks on Riverwalk attacked the couple sitting on the bench---just so happened that the man had a weapon (a gun) & he shot one of the punks...the punk died.....the man was released because it was SELF DEFENSE.....now apply that logic to the Zimm case..

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/18/13 - 12:35 pm
Take it even further,

Take it even further, seenit......let's assume the couple were following the punks when they turned around and attacked the couple. The couple had a gun and shot them. Is it NOW the couples fault for following them? Of course not....the punks started a fight, and got what they deserve.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/13 - 12:43 pm
Yes humble

Your logic is bouncing off the wall....I get it!!

Maybe some others can finally get it too!

What some don't realize is that many innocents are carrying a gun for protection & what happened in Florida will happen again.....I for one don't care what the dang law says ...I will have a gun....the criminals will ALWAYS have one....this is the tip of a mountain...sad reality of today....see yall later

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/18/13 - 02:02 pm
"Racism"

I don't think there has been a written sentence, TV news broadcast, Newspaper Article or Internet Blog site since Z Shot T without the word "Race" or "Racism" being used or said.

AC will not allow images to be embedded, so I can't show his picture but I can post his feeling and comment.

Here's the Truth about "Racism"

You won't recognize me. My name was Antonio West and I was the 13-month old child who was shot at point blank range by two teens who were attempting to rob my... mother, who was also shot. A Grand Jury of my mommy's peers from Brunswick GA determined the teens who murdered me will not face the death penalty... too bad I was given a death sentence for being innocent and defenseless.

My family made the mistake of being white in a 73% non-white neighborhood, but my murder was not ruled a Hate Crime. Nor did President Obama take so much as a single moment to acknowledge my murder.

I am one of the youngest murder victims in our great Nation's history, but the media doesn't care to cover the story of my tragic demise, President Obama has no children who could possibly look like me - so he doesn't care and the media doesn't care because my story is not interesting enough to bring them ratings so they can sell commercial time slots.

There is not a white equivalent of Al Sharpton because if there was he would be declared racist, so there is no one rushing to Brunswick GA to demand justice for me. There is no White Panther party to put a bounty on the lives of those who murdered me. I have no voice, I have no representation and unlike those who shot me in the face while I sat innocently in my stroller - I no longer have my life.

So while you are seeking justice for Treyvon, please remember to seek justice for me too. Tell your friends about me, tell you families, get tee shirts with my face on them and make the world pay attention, just like you did for Treyvon.

Thanks M...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/18/13 - 02:14 pm
What makes it a race issue?

When Al and Jessie say so.

Dudeness
Dudeness 07/18/13 - 03:04 pm
What makes a race issue?

The amount of money and/or power to be gained from making the accusation.

specsta
specsta 07/18/13 - 03:13 pm
Resist Ignorance

Do a little research on the existence of "white privilege" in this country. Once you understand that, then you can have an intelligent conversation about race issues.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/18/13 - 03:29 pm
Prove the existence of your

Prove the existence of your so called "white privilege."

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/13 - 04:06 pm
Is there a white privilege

Can non whites buy a house anywhere in the Us---yes
Can non whites work anywhere--yes
Can non whites go to school anywhere--yes
Can non whites make the same salary as whites--yes
Can non whites run for President & win--yes
Can non whites run for any office & win--yes

The only "extra" I see is this...

Thomas Shapiro argues that wealth is passed along from generation to generation, giving whites a better "starting point" in life than other races. According to Shapiro, many whites receive financial assistance from their parents allowing them to live beyond their income. This, in turn, enables them to buy houses and major assets which aid in the accumulation of wealth. Since houses in white neighborhoods appreciate faster, even African Americans who are able to overcome their "starting point" are unlikely to accumulate wealth as fast as whites. Shapiro asserts this is a continual cycle from which whites consistently benefit.[46] These benefits also have effects on schooling and other life opportunities.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The non whites can also achieve this by...working hard--saving for the future--spending on only what is necessary & educating the young...& LEAVE INHERITANCE FOR THEIR CHILDREN....this is not happpening on a wide scale in the non white neighborhoods..please tell me why that is the fault of the whites....we can't control that--no way-only you can.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...