No freebies for illegals

It is my understanding that the United States is about to acquire 9 to 11 million new illegal immigrants (the federal government can’t get an actual count). We have 7.6 percent unemployment nationwide and 8.3 percent in Georgia the last time I checked. I suppose the 47 percent of us who pay taxes will support the illegals, since they are already getting free medical care and Lord only knows what else.

Freedom is not free. I did not work in the workforce 40-plus years while paying taxes, and spend four years serving my country – and half of that time was spent in a war zone – for our privileges as American citizens to just be given away to illegal aliens, just for political votes.

JustAJoe
JustAJoe 07/17/13 - 02:28 am
No freebies for illegals

They are already here getting paid under the table as part of an underground economy. That they can find people who are illegal they can pay nothing under the table is why they already have those jobs, so this would give real Americans a better, not worse change to get them. This would also cause more to have jobs that withhold taxes. They don't have anything to do with the police and criminals flourish because of this. The whole thing has created an against the law world. It is not right but we would be better off closing this down. It's there, we might not like it, but we have to deal with it. I have seen reports that this would increase tax revenues. You have to look at what is already happening and what this would do. It is not a giveaway, it is making the ones already here less of a problem and more having to do what the rest of us do.
The real problem is the corporations who are in love with this cheap source of illegal labor and simply are fighting tooth and nail not to give it up. For example, Foster Farms puts out flyers in Mexico telling about the jobs in their chicken processing plants in Georgia and has contracted vans waiting for them in Texas to bring them here to Georgia. They have made it all about some desperate guy willing to work in hell for no money or benefits to support his family and nothing about the people who hire them and are making gobs of money off the situation. Amazing what money and political power can do. We get manipulated all the time. To my mind the Democrats are doing the right thing but for the wrong reason - because it will get them more voters.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/17/13 - 02:45 am
Justajoe makes great points -

Justajoe makes great points - Very interesting. After working my way through the verbage, I can see his/her point. I suspect it's the same in the construction industry – to a certain extent.

carcraft
carcraft 07/17/13 - 05:57 am
I agree, and Obama (despite

I agree, and Obama (despite what the law says, all hail King Obama) has reduced the documents required to qualify for government assistance to get health insurance, they government is now supposed to go on "honest reporting". That means you walk in ask for assistance and it is granted. Well illegals here that get amnesty, welcome to free health care!

RunningMan
RunningMan 07/17/13 - 06:20 am
Many Americans Benefit From Illegals

chascushman
chascushman 07/17/13 - 08:44 am
" Many of these illegals are

" Many of these illegals are doing more for this country than those born here."
runningman, you are correct a very large % of the supporters of the commie in the WH are not willing to work they would rather have the handouts.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/17/13 - 08:54 am
So, running man. Are you

So, running man. Are you saying we should should lower the minimum wage?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/17/13 - 09:34 am
runningman

Your argument is almost like the argument of slave owners. Everyone benefited from the labor of slaves! You want to benefit from someones low wage labor !

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/17/13 - 09:34 am
RunningMan @ 6:20

"Tell that to the folks who are using these same illegals to build homes, roads, cut grass, and work many other jobs that are making them millions of dollars. Many of these illegals are doing more for this country than those born here. They are willing to work for wages, and in conditions that most Americans would laugh at."

YOU SAID IT ALL !! I have been saying this for months !

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/17/13 - 09:39 am
What would be wrong with

What would be wrong with forcing those receiving benefit from the Federal or State government to do something in return for their benefits ?

faithson
faithson 07/17/13 - 09:41 am
bottom line...

these people KNOW how to work and are very good at what they are given to do. Sorry, but I would get my labor from these people anyday over what is sitting on their arses down on 9th street. When faced with a long day of physical work, I put my money on the guys that can get it done the way I WANT it done... everytime.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/17/13 - 09:44 am
t3

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/17/13 - 09:54 am
Several studies show that

Several studies show that illegals take much more from the economy than they add. If you look at healthcare cost, cost of public schools and high incarceration rate in conjunction with their low wages and the fact that many don't pay income taxes and send their earning back to Mexico.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/17/13 - 11:00 am
RMSHEFF @ 9:44

"Why would you not support making able bodied Americans receiving federal or State support, do some of these jobs in exchange for their welfare, food stamps, housing assistance or unemployment? I am all for helping those who help themselves!"

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/17/13 - 11:05 am
HA @ 8:54

"So, running man. Are you saying we should should lower the minimum wage?"

I think the laborers should be paid a living wage and benefits !

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/17/13 - 11:57 am
You know that most of the

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/17/13 - 11:58 am
What do you consider a

What do you consider a "living wage?"

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/17/13 - 12:52 pm
Market forces must determine

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/17/13 - 12:54 pm
Rmsheff, that was sort of the

Rmsheff, that was sort of the point I was hoping Mr. Bledsoe would realize if he had answered.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/17/13 - 02:04 pm
HA @ 11:57

"You know that most of the illegals are working for less than minimum wage? That's why legals don't want the job."

This may be the first good thing you have stated today !! My question is, "Shouldn't these "human beings" be given a living wage and benefits ?"

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/17/13 - 02:06 pm
Later

Got to go. Try to catch-up later.

justthefacts
22003
justthefacts 07/17/13 - 02:09 pm
which human beings?

Legal residents should be and are. Illegal residents should be sent home.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/17/13 - 02:09 pm
Read the 12:52 post

chascushman
chascushman 07/17/13 - 02:32 pm
"I have no problem with this

"I have no problem with this as long as the employers are forced to pay a living wage and benefits !!"
Bledsoe, this was a free country. If you do not believe an employer is paying 'a living wage and benefits' you are not force to work for them.

chascushman
chascushman 07/17/13 - 02:37 pm
"Read the 12:52 post

"Read the 12:52 post regarding the "living wage." Maybe you will learn what happens when you artificially hike wages."
HA, During the depression FDR thought the price of farm products was too low. He had the gov't buy crops, cows and chickens which was then destroyed while people were starving. This is typical for liberals because they no common sense. A person can be book smart but still cannot pour urine out of a boot with the directions on the heel.

corgimom
corgimom 07/17/13 - 02:40 pm
"That means you walk in ask

"That means you walk in ask for assistance and it is granted."

Carcraft, where are you getting that bizarre information?

"Reducing" documentation- which is being done for employer reporting- is not the same as "eliminating"

Although anybody can walk into a hospital that receives Federal funds and they will be given care to stabilize them, it's been that way for years and years.

I think somebody is confused, carcraft, check your sources again

Scratch
Scratch 07/17/13 - 02:43 pm
Is compensation for decades of poor policy really "amnesty"?

Though I consider myself a staunch conservative, I can't help favoring something like the so-called "path to citizenship" for the vast majority of U.S. law abiding (with the exception of immigration law!) illegals. (I grant myself license to use the term "law abiding illegal immigrant.) I fear, however, that the federal gov't is so inherently inefficient that any reasonable path to citizenship policy and border tightening procedures would be totally botched. The result: total amnesty and open borders. I only wish there was some way to have local determination of which "law abiding illegal immigrants" should be granted a "path to citizenship." Unfortunately that can never happen politically. How sad.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/17/13 - 04:08 pm
RMSHEFF @ 12:52

"Market forces must determine wages. If you raised the minimum wage to $ 25 an hour it would not be long before $ 25 would no longer be a "living wage". A McDonalds burger would soon cost $ 5 and a coke $ 4. A gallon of gas would be $ 20."

Let's try $2000 per month which is about $13 per hour.

gargoyle
gargoyle 07/17/13 - 06:31 pm
Your right Scratch the

Your right Scratch the Amnesty deal was tried back in the 80's with almost the same promises made . If the powers that be were serious we would have immigration policy that made sense and benefited all involved. Till then we'll have to put up with political hacks playing blind mans bluff for votes.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/17/13 - 06:40 pm
We should lower the minimum

We should lower the minimum wage as a psychological stimulus to drive people to get that education, work harder, and choose a lucrative career. Hee,hee,hee. I dropped outta college for two years and my crappy job and pay motivated me to go get that college degree. The next cruddy job motivated me to go back to school and get that graduate degree. We could use shock therapy but this seems more humane. LOL>

chascushman
chascushman 07/17/13 - 06:48 pm
"Let's try $2000 per month

"Let's try $2000 per month which is about $13 per hour."
Bledsoe, that is pretty cheap. Folks making $13/hr cannot even afford a decent vacation. I think we should make it at least $20/hr.
Folks in Asia would love it. It would increase the number of jobs over there. Do you really understand how the real business world works?