Ignorance is damaging

The ignorance in this country is almost laughable if it were not so damaging. The following are just three examples of what I have seen lately.

First, the recent “not guilty” verdict in the case of George Zimmerman. The ignorance that I see here is the fact that the verdict of “guilty” was sealed when Zimmerman decided to get out of his car and follow Trayvon Martin. How can it not be an example of ignorance when the 911 dispatcher plainly told Zimmerman not to follow Martin! This was not a case of self-defense, but a case of ignorance and/or a case of racial profiling!

Second, the ignorance that surrounds the bill that would allow illegal immigrants to get on the fast track toward getting legal American citizenship. All one has to do is open the mind and the eyes to see that almost all of the undesirable jobs that are absolutely necessary are done by illegals! Why shouldn’t these hard -working people – human beings – be allowed to get American citizenship as soon as possible?

Third, more closer to home, is this boondoggle in North Augusta called Project Jackson. The ignorance in this is that the Aiken County government and the Aiken County school board will not demand that a countywide referendum be mandatory to go forward before county and school taxes are put in harm’s way! If the county and school board vote to back this boondoggle, then the citizens of Aiken County will be ignorant if we don’t demand that a third-party audit be performed to see where every penny of our tax dollars is going!

I am quite sure many other examples can be thought of. As I stated before, ignorance can be laughable when it is not injurious to others. But these examples are injurious to others! Perhaps these examples can be reversed for the good of other citizens.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/17/13 - 01:05 am

Thank you Augusta Chronicle, thank you for printing this letter.

It just goes to show the mentality of some in our community. We're not all lock-step, so it's nice to see what some believe. No matter how looney tooney daffy ducky!

First – the Martin case has been beat to death. There will be no changing of minds, regardless of the actual evidence, regardless of burden of proof.

Second - “undesirable jobs”? I didn't know there was such a thing!!! I was starting a new family during the “give up and let the gov take care of you” years of the most honorable President Jimmy Carter! I remember offering my services for free, just to show that I was a person a potential employer wanted!!! Of course such would be considered SACRILEGE in today's society. (GASP show yourself as different from “the rest”)

Third – well, I've yet to make my mind up on that one yet. I'm pulled in two directions. What is the net tax cost? North Augusta has it going on!!! A Bball stadium would be fantastic, my family would buy season tickets for sure. Spend money in local restaurants, etc. while attending. At the same time would this be net gain or loss for taxpayers?

carcraft
carcraft 07/17/13 - 04:45 am
Well I agree with you on the Martin case Young Fred

Zimmerman took a black girl to the prom, mentored black children, had black friends and was liked by most people in the neighbor hood. The FBI investigated the case and found no evidence of race, or racial profiling in the actions of Zimmerman. Mr. Bledsoe somehow, with out going to Florida, interviewing people, talking to Zimmermann etc. knows exactly what happened, despite official reports and a jury trial that reached the opposite conclusions after observing EVIDENCE on both sides of the case!. Is there any ignorance involved in that Mr. Bledsoe? Martin getting suspended from school for doing something he shouldn't have done lead to him crossing paths with Zimmermann. Oh never mind, Young Fred is correct!

carcraft
carcraft 07/17/13 - 05:17 am
When Reagan was President

When Reagan was President Reagan granted amnesty to 3 million illegals. Part of the bargain was to fix the boarder and fix the system. Here we are decades later with 11 million illegals now and the same BS promise is being given by the liberals, amnesty to today for a fixed boarder and immigration system tomorrow..OK Charlie Brown I'll hold the football for you.. Falling for this BS AGAIN is ignorance. Fix the boarder, fix the system then look at a system of amnesty! Until then enforce the laws on the books like you swore you would do Mr. President!

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/17/13 - 05:36 am
"the verdict of “guilty” was

"the verdict of “guilty” was sealed when Zimmerman decided to get out of his car and follow Trayvon Martin"

And just what was he "guilty" of?

As for following Trayvon? Dispatcher: Are you following him? George: Yeah. Dispatcher: Okay, we don't need you to do that. (NOT DON'T FOLLOW) George: OK

Tim, please show us where George followed Trayvon. George got out of his truck when Trayvon took off running (it's plainly stated in the transcript) Dispatcher asks person information and tries to get an address of where he is. George states "It's a home it's 1950, oh crap I don't want to give it all out. I don't know where the kid is. (Evidently he is worried that this strange acting person will hear).

Sure doesn't sound like George was following Trayvon. He doesn't even know where the kid is. Trayvon took off running and has 4 minutes to get home....tell us Tim, where was Trayvon and what was he doing since you have some magical insight to know what happened.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/17/13 - 05:55 am
Too funny, the letter writer

Too funny, the letter writer does have a good handle on "ignorance" and he wrote a letter to prove it.

ymnbde
ymnbde 07/17/13 - 06:32 am
if you want to let them in just to cut your grass and dig your d

you might be a bigot (apologies to Mr Foxworthy)
if you think a man can't be actively involved in protecting his, and his neighbor's, property just because the person involved is black
you might be a bigot
if you think a man deserves a broken nose just for following a black person
you might be a bigot
ahh, the low information voter
it's called unemployment compensation
not "desirable employment compensation"

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/17/13 - 06:38 am
wow

The ignorance is closer than you think Mr.....lordy....will this case in Florida ever be over with...
The jury did their job...can they live in peace now...I can see why some don't want to serve on a jury.

deestafford
deestafford 07/17/13 - 09:12 am
Tim is right about the ignorance...

It's just that he is not looking in the mirror to see it. Others above have covered the topics pretty well; however, I'll make a few points.

There is not a God given right to anyone to immigrant into the US no matter how hard working or nice they maybe. I don't know where so many bleeding hearts think we owe it to everyone in the world for them to come here. Let them work to improve and change their own country.

We should allow only those people into the US who can benefit the US. I know there are many who say, "We are a country of immigrants." The part they leave off is "Legal immigrants". In reality, everyone, everywhere is a product of immigrants from somewhere.

As far as ''jobs Americans won't do" is concerned that is because we have allowed it to be too comfortable to be out of a job. The safety net has become a leisure hammock. Able bodied people on welfare should be offered a job and if they don't take it---all benefits are cut off.

As far immigrant workers, there are ways for a work permit process can be set up without citizenship being involved. People should come here only to work for a certain period of time with a sponsor who will be responsible for them.

Finally, what is needed in these other countries is capitalism so they can grow their country the way we once grew this one before the liberals gained control and started degrading capitalism as some type of unfair economic system which should be replaced by some type of fascism or socialism run by "smart" people such as themselves.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/17/13 - 07:24 am
Just another diatribe loaded with misinformation.

Regarding Item #1

The 911 operator did not tell Mr. Zimmerman to STOP.
The 911 operator said something to the effect of:
'We have a police officer in route we will not need you to continue following the suspect....'

That wording is not a ORDER, that is a SUGGESTION.

See for yourself : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCvr9V2pig
Jump to about 1:50 to get past the intro... Youtube has a lot unedited videos of the trial, like the UNEDITED 911 call listed above. The same 911 Call that MS-NBC was caught deliberately tampering with, to make it sound racist and is now getting sued over.

The problem with this case is too many people have been fed 1/2 the facts or have been spoon fed tampered with facts. Everyone needs to spend some time learning the real facts.

May I suggestion a starting point ?
The agreed on Time Line of Events that local, State, and Fed's reviewed and determined in their investigations. The real facts before this became an opportunity for politicians, Race Baiters, Race Pimps, Community Activists, and media sluts. Before it became an opportunity to jump in and for TV time, speeches, donations and to incite voters.

BUT IF YOU WANT JUSTICE?
How about starting with the State Special Prosecutor. She should be put on trial for multiple felonies or tampering and withhold evidence?

She was caught deliberately withholding, misplacing and/or "losing" a lot of evidence while delaying the defense access to it. She is under review now also for prosecutorial misconduct. http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Dershowitz-Zimmerman-Prosecutorial-Misc....

BTW: Mr. Dershowitz, is a self declared Liberal and no fan of the right wing but he does stand for justice and truth.

While you are at it checkout
\

chascushman
chascushman 07/17/13 - 07:37 am
"The ignorance in this

"The ignorance in this country is almost laughable if it were not so damaging.'
Bledsoe, I agree 100%. Your LTE is a great example.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/17/13 - 08:17 am
Ignorance

is bliss, isn't it Mr. Bledsoe? And I presume you were in the presence of that "darling little Trayvon" when he was killed? You certainly seem to have "first-hand" info.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/17/13 - 08:22 am
Bledsoe

I wonder what you would have done if you were the one having your head pounded on the sidewalk? I guess you would have just allowed this to continue !

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/17/13 - 09:32 am
help me understand***the

help me understand***the arguement seems to be that blacks/minorities are given the wrong end of the stick by whitie/ white men...so help me..trayvon case..1-judge-minority lady**2-jury* women*minority 3- defendant -hispanic/minority**4-fla prosecutors..white males/not minority but on the side of the minority...all main participants in this case federally recognized in one way or anothers as minorities..except the prosecutors who represented the state...how does the black community/and white liberals come up with this is a white hate crime...and self protection laws are now to the detrimant of minorities because of this case...so my question by definition why are us whities{white males] being implicated in all this mess..

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/17/13 - 09:52 am
A thank-you

This is Tim, the writer of this letter. I just want to thank all of you for these very biased comments !! I wonder if ONLY liberals are the only "open-minded" sector of our society ??!

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/17/13 - 10:32 am
Oh come on Tim it's not like

Oh come on Tim it's not like your comments aren't biased either. You can take some teasing. I agree liberals are open-minded (I consider myself one) but its these dang progressives and conservatives that are ruining this country with their refusal to compromise and find a moderate solution. I wish there were more liberals believing in personal freedoms like speech, religion, right to arms, even gay marriage, small transparent government, and free-market capitalism. One helpful hint for your next letter would be not to alienate folks calling them ignorant (it raises folks dander)because people will just shut you down even if your argument does have merit. Yeah it took me awhile to learn that diplomacy too-I had a habit getting in folks face without tact too.

validPoint
validPoint 07/17/13 - 10:25 am
Yes, Indeed.

Ignorance is truly damaging, and will continue to be as long as there is a willingness to accept the things that are selectively desired instead of giving attention to the fullness of the matter. The fullness of the matter will always include the foundation on which it stands.

It has been commonly stated:"what you don't know, can't hurt you", that is one of the biggest fallacies that can ever be circulated,

Thank you so much for stating your observations. Very insightful.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/17/13 - 10:31 am
Actually I've never met

Actually I've never met anyone who wasn't ignorant-including myself. If you truly believe that you are all knowing then you must be ignorant. I have a number of higher degrees in a specific area-but that doesn't negate my ignorance on so many topics. So I'm ignorant of lots of things just not stupid. hee,hee,hee. We are all life-long learners trying to reduce our ignorance but it is task that has no end.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/17/13 - 10:34 am
The person with the highest

The person with the highest IQ in the US is bar tender who hasn't completed a college degree. Now someone that smart is hard to call stupid but dang ignorant not to get that education. LOL

validPoint
validPoint 07/17/13 - 12:03 pm
To RMFSHEFF

In reference to your comment concerning what might happen if someone were getting their head beaten. I too, wonder. However, my wonder is somewhat different than yours. You see, I wonder what would have happened if good judgement had been used, and over-zealousness had been eliminated.

It never ceases to amaze me the manner in which things begin can be overlooked. Too, I wonder, what would happen to civilization and the birthing process if there were no seeds planted. Its the same process. Plant the seed, something grows. Where no seed is planted, there is no substance. For real.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/17/13 - 10:57 am
It is odd all this for a

It is odd all this for a non-crime of sorts. Both individuals had to the right to be on a public street and no police or dispatcher can prevent that. So no crime. Although Zimmerman pursued Martin, Martin returned to address him. Still no crime. Then an assault-Now a crime has been committed by whoever started the physical attack. Then Zimmerman protected himself during this fight with deadly force-which according to the law still isn't a crime. Now personally I don't get that last one myself, but the SCOTUS has already addressed this and found constitutional. I don't understand all the deadly force being used nowadays during these fights. My gosh I could make your skin crawl with all the violence I've endured and although I felt like killing some of em I didn't. Yeah I thought about it but I just brushed it off to "ignorance". LOL>

corgimom
corgimom 07/17/13 - 12:08 pm
I hope Mr. Bledsoe will make

I hope Mr. Bledsoe will make a generous contribution to Aiken County to provide the grossly disproportionate amount of Servicios de Sociale that illegal immigrants use.

And write a check to the North Augusta school board, while he's at it, to provide educational services.

And the hospitals, too, for their indigent care.

And the public housing, and all the other services that TAXPAYERS PROVIDE.

KSL
KSL 07/17/13 - 12:13 pm
I wonder if Zim had chosen

I wonder if Zim had chosen not to use deadly force if Martin would have stopped short of killing him, pounding his head on the pavement.

carcraft
carcraft 07/17/13 - 12:14 pm
Bizkit, was there reason to

Bizkit, was there reason to believe Zimmerman's life was in danger or he could suffer serious bodily harm? If so them Deadly force is allowed! Zimmerman had cuts on the back of his head and an extremely swollen blood nose per the pictures that were released. One of the eye witnesses says Martin was on top doing "ground and pound "MMA styled. Zimmerman told police he yelled for help and no one came. People have died in MMA compititions WITH A REF PRESENT to stop the damage being done. Did Zimmerman have reason to believe his life was in danger? The jury said yes!

corgimom
corgimom 07/17/13 - 12:15 pm
Bledsoe, I own property in

Bledsoe, I own property in Southern California. I go there frequently.

Don't talk to me for one minute about my "ignorance".

I know far better than you, what illegal immigrants do to communities and states. I don't have to sit behind an computer and theorize, I've lived it.

"Open-minded", my big fat patootie!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/17/13 - 12:25 pm
"How can it not be an example

"How can it not be an example of ignorance when the 911 dispatcher plainly told Zimmerman not to follow Martin! "

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/17/13 - 12:29 pm
"This is Tim, the writer of

What bias? Examples?

carcraft
carcraft 07/17/13 - 12:32 pm
Tim, as I ask earlier, what

Tim, as I ask earlier, what knowledge of Zimmerman do you have that the FBI didn't discern to indicate Zimmerman profiled Martin in a racist manner?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/17/13 - 12:38 pm
HA @ 1:25

"NOT TRUE. Read the transcripts. Not to mention it's not against the law to follow someone. The only person who violated the law was Trayvon Martin when he committed assault."

First, I was beginning to think you were not going to "attack" my LTE.

Second, I can not believe how closed minded ALL of you conservatives are ! I expected at least you would be a little more open minded ! Isn't that part of being educated ??

carcraft
carcraft 07/17/13 - 12:38 pm
Once those here illegally are

Once those here illegally are made legal they will look for better paying jobs and then we get more illegals here etc etc and then in 10 years or so we will be granting amnesty to another 10 or 15 million illegals!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/17/13 - 12:43 pm
HA @ 1:29

""This is Tim, the writer of this letter. I just want to thank all of you for these very biased comments !!""

How about NOT; at the very least; admitting that if Zimmerman had have listened to the 911 dispatcher, NONE of this would have happened !!

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.