Scott Dean must be freed

I am writing on behalf of my conscience and the fact that an innocent man is still in jail! That man is Anthony Scott Dean.

I am not sure whom he upset in Columbia County, but by them using their power to punish a man and ruin his career; take away his life and his wife; and have to sign away his rights as a father is ridiculous!

What on Earth could Scott have done that would deserve that? Not what he was accused of, because everyone knew before, during and after the trial that he was not that man. Scott may be many things, but he is not capable of molesting children, especially not his own, and especially after all he and his wife went through to adopt those five children, to give them a Godly home, learn their language and invest in them for unselfish purposes based upon the calling they were given.

I went to school with Scott. We graduated high school together. We were best friends. I knew his wife then. I know her now. She took pictures at our 10-year class reunion. She took pictures of my daughter for prom. I kept up with them while Scott was mayor of Harlem – and the best mayor Harlem has ever had. He put that little city on the map – not for what he has been accused of, but for what he accomplished and the many lives on which he had a positive impact.

He never should have been tried in Columbia County. His lawyer should have known better. Trials like his normally take months, not days. I personally know Superior Court Judge James G. Blanchard Jr. He is a family friend. I have sat at the dinner table in my parent’s home and dined with him and his wife. I had nothing but the highest regard for him, but now I am beginning to wonder. He should have known better.

The prosecution was really reaching to even try to make a case. It did not matter what anyone said during trial – if you are accused of being a child molester then you are automatically guilty because that sin is just unheard of and intolerable, and those kinds of people need to be off the streets before they can harm anyone else. Scott is not perfect, but neither is anyone on the jury who found him guilty, nor the judge who handed him the maximum sentence.

Someone needs to own up to what they did. Scott was used as an example – for what, I don’t know – but he does not deserve what has been done to him.

Judgement Day is coming, and I pray that those involved in hurting Scott and his family find a conscience, and it happens that there is no other way for them to be able to live a normal life until they come clean and Scott Dean is set free.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/13/13 - 07:14 am
Juries do not have to be perfect. Listen and be objective.

Juries do not have to be perfect. Listen and be objective.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/13/13 - 07:15 am
This LTE is the problem. Juries cannot know the intent.

This LTE is the problem. Juries cannot know the intent.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/13/13 - 07:17 am
Juries are not casting the first stone. They are protecting

society. This is the law. The evidence says you broke the law.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/13/13 - 07:18 am
The written law should set penalty/sentence, not jury.

The written law should set penalty/sentence, not jury.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/13/13 - 07:20 am
soapy_725
soapy_725 07/13/13 - 07:22 am
Evidence presented in open court under oath = Justice?

Would you want to be judged simply by how 12 people feel about your behavior?

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/13/13 - 07:22 am
He's an okay Joe. Excuse the crime.

He's an okay Joe. Excuse the crime.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/13/13 - 07:23 am
You know his wife. Do you know his girl friends? Texters?

You know his wife. Do you know his girl friends? Texters?

corgimom
corgimom 07/13/13 - 07:48 am
People never want to believe

People never want to believe that someone that they are friends with, can do terrible things.

"Maybe the towel fell off"- that was Scott Dean's own testimony. I wonder how his friends explain that one away?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/13/13 - 08:17 am
Towel fell off

If that is the only thing that happened....I don't think that should cost 20 years...

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/13/13 - 09:05 am
Hmm...well, I bet Dean's got

Hmm...well, I bet Dean's got a firm grip on his towel in prison.

myfather15
myfather15 07/13/13 - 10:11 am
His lawyer should have know

His lawyer should have know better, the judge should have known better, the jury should have known better; sounds like EVERYONE should have known better!! Maybe it's not THEM who should have known better; maybe it's others, who can NOT tell you what actually happen between Dean and his daughter, because they weren't there. Those who speculate that he is "incapable" of such acts.

Then you say "Scott may be many things, but he is not capable of molesting children,"

This is such an ignorant statement!! If he has arms, legs, and a brain to use them, he is capable and YOU actually don't know what happened because again; you weren't there!!!!

Then the ignorant statements continue with this; "Scott is not perfect, but neither is anyone on the jury who found him guilty,"

So, jury's aren't suppose to find anyone guilty unless they are PERFECT?? Or does this only apply to Scott Dean??? They shouldn't find SCOTT DEAN guilty unless they are perfect in EVERY way, right? For the rest of society that YOU don't know or couldn't care less about, they may find them guilty at any time; without having to be perfect!! Your slobbering love affair with a convicted child molestor is pathetic!!! They haven't released him since the victim went home and alledgelly wrote a letter that recanted her story; so there is obvious more to this investigation that we know.

avidreader
avidreader 07/13/13 - 10:10 am
A Passionate Voice

Ms. Mitchum, in contrast to corgimom's comment, I believe that sometimes a friend see's deeper into the heart of a loved-one than others on the outside. It's common sense. You know this man well and respect him for good reasons. I do not feel that you are blinded by your friendship.

I followed the Dean trial closely, and I have to agree with you. This man should not be in prison. I wish you the best and hope that you remain vigilant in defending Mr. Dean. I'll be paying attention!

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 07/13/13 - 12:05 pm
Remember that, for all of us,

Remember that, for all of us, it is only a child's testimony between you and prison. Public opinion will convict you and ruin your life whether you're guilty or not.

I use to take my dachshund down to River Walk to get us both some exercise. I'm single, in my 50's, and have graying hair. Because of her breed and personality, my dog was a babe magnet (nice), but she was also a child magnet.

An "old" guy walking a dog in a public place usually frequented by children...

One afternoon I realized what that looked like, and immediately stopped going to River Walk with my dog. The risk was too great that some paranoid adult would make my life a nightmare with an undeserved accusation.

I don't know if Scott is truly guilty or not. But in my personal opinion, it appears that he may have been convicted in the court of public opinion in spite of whatever the truth is.

But for the grace of God, go the rest of us.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/13/13 - 12:45 pm
Time to reflect

In light of the recantation by Marlin Dean, it is time for another trial and to let Marlin Dean tell her story completely. Scott Dean would likely be acquitted if all the evidence could be examined rationally.

myfather15
myfather15 07/13/13 - 03:22 pm
I also know Scott Dean very

I also know Scott Dean, had many conversations with him and ate dinner at his house several times. I don't mean to sound like I'm anti-Scott Dean!

I, as much as anyone else; was shocked to hear of the allegations. I was very surprised to hear about this. BUT, I'm not so blinded by my friendship with him or anyone else to be so bias. For ANYONE to say another person is "Incapable" of committing an act; is simply wrong!! I've learn in my life that people will shock you at what they will do. I was equally as SHOCKED or mabye even more so when the Chief of Police in Harlem (Jerry Baldwin) was caught shoplifting at Wal-Mart.

This is a man making 45k a year as the Chief; has his own lawn maintenance business on the side, making good money, and he is going to shoplift $12.00 of merchandise at Wal-Mart? THIS I was shocked at!! I NEVER thought I would hear about this!!!

The point is, you NEVER know anyone completely; so don't be so quick to say someone is "incapable" of doing something. I think you would be shocked at what people are capable of doing!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/13/13 - 01:46 pm
I Agree

I agree, myfather, about the "incapable" claim. Whenever I hear a relative or friend testify that a defendant is incapable of committing the alleged crime, I become very skeptical.

I'm surprised the legal system would allow such testimony. It should not be allowed into evidence because it presupposes things.

thauch12
thauch12 07/13/13 - 02:46 pm
For once, I somewhat see

For once, I somewhat see eye-to-eye with myfather (sound the trumpets and fire up the presses). Every human being has the capability to do wrong. It is a natural part of our state.

That being said, the Dean trial was a spectacle in every sense of the word. From following the proceedings, my personal opinion was that the prosecution did not prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. Add the daughter's subsequent run-ins with the law (stealing from her own mother...that would certainly make me question her character) and her eventual recanting, the man deserves another trial if nothing else.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/13 - 03:54 pm
Two Years is Long Enough

When your star witness says the female DA threatened her if she didn’t say something not true, you are in big trouble. As far as the other daughter retracting her testimony concerning Dean’s actions, realize many witnesses often recant :) rape and other improper sexual accusations. Barry Paschal did a column on such retractions and the point is the recanting may not always be truthful.

Having said all that, I’d let Dean out. He’s been in there a long time even if what he is convicted of is true. I don’t negate the importance of what came out in the trial that was admitted to by him, but there was never a penetrating or other type complete sexual encounter according to all involved. 20 years is unreasonable. 2 is more appropriate. Dean is not a threat to anyone and should be paroled.

Grandpa Jones
Grandpa Jones 07/13/13 - 04:12 pm
I am not sure whom he upset in Columbia County

When you adopt two minority kids, you have automatically offended the "old timers" in Columbia County.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/13/13 - 04:35 pm
Riverman1- 3:54

I defiantly gave you a thumbs up for that one.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/13/13 - 04:55 pm
I think he was railroaded too....

I also wonder which of us could stand up to a charge if something was brought up that happened when we were 14. I am surprised that survived an appeal. I don't know what happened but I do know this. Having served on numerous juries I would not have convicted him.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/13/13 - 05:47 pm
He said, she said - no evidence = he would have been freed

He said, she said - no evidence = he would have been freed at trial.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/13/13 - 05:48 pm
Evidence. Super Man Tee shirt and privates??????

Evidence. Super Man Tee shirt and privates??????

myfather15
myfather15 07/13/13 - 05:57 pm
Riverman, I rarely disagree with you;

and I'm having a hard time with it now. But if all fairness, I can NOT agree with your comment "20 years is unreasonable. 2 is more appropriate. Dean is not a threat to anyone and should be paroled."

I do NOT know if he is a threat to anyone; so I won't address that part of the comment! And 20 years MIGHT be unreasonable, since there was not penetration, but you don't have to have penetration to ruin a child's life and trust!!

The part I can't agree on is that 2 years is more appropriate for what he was convicted of. I personally believe if this was some "dude" living in a trailer park, that none of us had heard of; he would get NO sympathy on the sentence!! Touching a child for ANY sexual gratification; is a disgusting crime and damages the life of the child. IF he is guilty, and he was found guilty; I would NOT say 2 years is enough. Maybe serving 8-10 years, but certainly not 2 years!!

I'm trying to be as fair as I can. I was a friend of Scott's years ago, not a close personal friend but a friend none the less. I liked the guy a lot when he was Mayor of Harlem; which is when I really got to know him. He SEEMED like a decent, fun-loving, great guy; but so have many others with dark histories. I'm also not trying to throw him under the bus here and pronounce him guilty myself; but the jury has already done that.

All I'm saying is the same thing I've said on other threads about Scott Dean; let the system work this out!! If he is innocent I certainly pray he gets another trial!! But those (like Mrs. Mitchum) who claim he is completely innocent because THEY say he is "incapable" of committing such an offense; are not doing anyone a service. If he is guilty, he is right where he needs to be for several more years, in my opinion!! IF GUILTY, about 5-8 more years would be appropriate, again; in my opinion ONLY!!! Which doesn't count for much and shouldn't in this case!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/13/13 - 08:05 pm
myfather

If Scott was proven 100% Guilty, then life is would be too short.....but... there is just too much "doubt" in this case...could even be totally indecent. That is way I have mixed feeling on this all alone.

"incapable" ... real dumb comment!

Lakeside95 07/13/13 - 10:17 pm
Does anyone READ the Chronicle?

Y'all seem to be as incapable as the jury when it comes to recalling testimony and details.

Marlin Dean: Oldest daughter. NOT alleged victim. In fact the prosecution tried to use her to show Scott's inappropriate relationship. She has repeatedly said NOTHING inappropriate/sexual EVER occurred. Her only crime was to steal two pieces of jewelry from her mother.

Dean Daughter 2: Victim. As she is an adult now and has resented her testimony against her father, her name could be used. But as to keep the censors away...I will refrain. Her resented testimony has been verified by several agencies, witnessed by non-family and is consistent. She did not leave DFACS care until AFTER she voluntarily communicated to several officials that she had lied in court and to court officials regarding ANY abuse. The admission of perjury has been public for several months...and known by officials for even longer.

Scott Dean currently resides in Georgia State Prison. His victim has admitted she lied. So if he's not in prison for child molestation....what's his crime? Last time I checked ego & adultery weren't felonies.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/13/13 - 10:28 pm
Fuzzy

Thank you, Lakeside. Perhaps I got the two daughters mixed up regarding the recantation. However, I seem to recall that something Marlin said on the stand led to the prosecution's getting to call District Attorney Ashley Wright to the witness stand to sow seeds of doubt and confusion into this case. A new trial could set the record straight.

Lakeside95 07/13/13 - 10:42 pm
Meeting with DA Wright

I was in the meeting between Ashley Wright, Marlin Dean, a translator & court official. Wright insinuated and blatantly called Marlin Dean a liar. If ADA White would have been interested in the facts of that meeting... I would have been happy to clear up any questions.

Darby
Darby 07/14/13 - 11:18 am

Royal & Ancient Golf Club at St. Andrews votes yes on female members

The Royal & Ancient Golf Club at St. Andrews has voted overwhelmingly to admit female members for the first time. The club, exclusively for men since it was founded in Scotland 260 years ago, ...