Beloved pets' lives aren't expendable

When is it justified to kill a person’s pet? With all the incidents you hear about in the news in which the family pet is killed during some kind of police intervention, it seems that maybe we should rethink the way we approach these situations.

I do realize that in most cases the officer thought that his life was in danger, which does call for such action. But really? There are thousands of animal control officers who have to deal not only with family pets that are lost or have gotten loose but hundreds of feral and wild animals every day. Most don’t even have firearms to do their jobs.

The thought that the family pet is “just an animal” and is expendable is ludicrous. Most people with pets consider them part of the family and treat them that way. What would we think if your child was shot because they were confused and scared and doing what comes naturally, which for a dog is to protect its family? I know some dogs are capable of doing a lot of damage, and sometimes it can result in a fatality if the situation goes unchecked.

With the technology available today, why can’t we have a policy in which pet’s lives are treated with same respect as ours? We have the tools and the information to do that. I think it is time to rewrite some of the procedures that deal with this matter and start treating all our family members like their lives are worth saving. Remember: A dog’s job is also to protect and serve.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/13/13 - 11:01 pm
Attack

When a police officer is attempting to do his duty (answer a complaint call, intervene in an altercation, etc.) and your dog attacks him or her, then that officer is completely justified to protect himself against the attack and fire upon the dog.

Companion animals are important; but they cannot be given the same rights as humans under our laws. Of course, in the world of Nancy Pelosi anything is possible.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/13/13 - 11:03 pm
Attack Rabbit

Now, Mr. Lee, if your pet is a bunny rabbit, you might have a point.

deestafford
deestafford 07/14/13 - 08:03 am
No one loves animals more than my family; however,

if an officer was performing his duty and was being attacked or threaten by an animal and he saw no other way to continue his duty, I believe he is right in shooting the animal.

If an animal was attacking a member of my family I would kill it just as I would a person who was attacking.

I would feel sad in both cases but believe it was necessary.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/14/13 - 10:19 am
Twisted priorities & affection. Ignorance and Apathy rule.

Twisted priorities & affection. Ignorance and Apathy rule.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/14/13 - 10:20 am
Mindless Behavior is opening a restaurant in ARC.

Mindless Behavior is opening a restaurant in ARC.

corgimom
corgimom 07/14/13 - 10:01 pm
Dogs are capable of maiming

Dogs are capable of maiming or killing a human being.

There is something about a person wearing a uniform, that sets dogs off. Every dog I've ever had reacted to someone in uniform- because just as they look different to us, the dogs know they look different, too. They know they don't belong.

And I have 3 dogs, who I love dearly. But I know that people come before dogs, and I would never, ever want anyone to be hurt by my dogs.

I don't want a dog treated with the same respect as a person. They aren't people, they do not have civil rights. They are not equal.

And how do you explain to a dog about police officers?

I have no trouble defending myself against a dog or a cat attacking me, and I would not expect anything different from a police officer.

"When is it justified to kill a person’s pet?" When a human is in danger of injury or death, of course!

SageLee
SageLee 08/06/13 - 07:11 pm
Articulate and well written

Mr. Lee. I completely agree that dogs, cats, and all animals especially wild animals should not be penalized with death for doing their jobs or acting in a natural way for their species. I'm dismayed when law enforcement decides to kill rather than relocate the Mountain Lions that frequently wander into the human domain. I admit that sometimes, in the line of duty, shooting a dog (or even a human) becomes a sad but necessary decision in defending an officer's life. A peace officer cannot and should not sacrifice their lives for an animal that cannot or will not be restrained by its owner. While I don't believe that there is much wanton shooting of animals in the line of duty, I do believe that respect for other living beings goes beyond in-the-moment shootings to euthanizing pets who have been involved in an attack. The pet's death in either case is just as final. Every animal deserves to prove they are no longer a danger, even fighting dogs like those found in recent high profile cases like Michael Vick's fighting dog farm. And any animal certainly deserve better than to be shot on site when they are not attacking. If dogs are like family, they are like children who are minors; and animals, like minors, are not fully responsible for their actions. Their owners are.