Keep supporting Scouting

I was sad to read the article in the July 5 Metro section reporting that Grace Baptist Church would not renew its sponsorship of Scouting. As an Eagle Scout, the father of two Eagle Scouts and a adult volunteer, I can say that Scouting has been a major influence in my life and that of my family. The controversy over the “membership standards” threatens the very important work that Scouting does in developing good citizens and good leaders for our country.

Scouting has not abandoned its principles, nor has it given way to “political correctness.” Rather, it is a recognition that youth who are homosexuals have the same need for the experiences offered by Scouting as every other young man in America, and that our country will be stronger for the good citizens produced by the Scouting movement.

While I can understand the concerns over safety for boys in the program, Scouting already has in place a rock-solid youth protection program to guard against any type of abuse. Anyone can view this training on the National Council website.

Finally, I want to express my gratitude to my pastor, the Rev. Greg Porterfield of Wesley United Methodist Church, for his stance on this issue, as reported in your article, and to other United Methodist congregations in the CSRA that have stepped up to offer sponsorship to Scout units that may have lost their sponsors because of the change in membership standards.

The important work of Scouting must go on. It is still the same great organization it has always been. I urge everyone’s continued support for the Scouting movement.

Robert W. Thomas

Evans

myfather15
myfather15 07/11/13 - 06:15 am
"Scouting has not abandoned

"Scouting has not abandoned its principles, nor has it given way to “political correctness.”

Yes, it has!!! At least the given way to political correctness part!! Tell me this; why couldn't the gay community create their own program for such activities and call it whatever they wanted? For those who disagree with me, ANSWER this question?

They wouldn't have to make it an All-gay Scouts organization, they could have included whomever they wanted. Then parents and their children would have a CHOICE which group they would send their children to, the BSA or the Non-judgemental BSA!! That's called CHOICE my friends!! They could have done this and it wouldn't have caused division in America!!! But they didn't, now did they? Nope, they choose to FORCE their way, using political correctness and PRESSURE!!! Further dividing this Country, which IS their goal!!

Now, the gay activists have basically taken away another traditional American program from the people. Soon they will own the BSA because thousands are removing their children from the program. Several groups in different States are starting new programs similar to BSA, programs which reflect their traditional beliefs. But the gay activists will still be able to say "We took the Boy Scouts of America!!" We won that victory!! How long will it be before they attack those groups and force their way in?

This all could have been avoided, but the activists didn't want it avoided!! They want attention and to force their will!!

myfather15
myfather15 07/11/13 - 06:17 am
"Finally, I want to express

"Finally, I want to express my gratitude to my pastor, the Rev. Greg Porterfield of Wesley United Methodist Church, for his stance"

Like father, like son; like (p)astor like church member!!

myfather15
myfather15 07/11/13 - 06:20 am
"Rather, it is a recognition

"Rather, it is a recognition that youth who are homosexuals have the same need for the experiences offered by Scouting as every other young man in America"

Ok, explain to me why they couldn't have got this same experience by starting their own group? Why the need to force their way into a group which traditionally doesn't support that lifestyle? Yes, I know this is repetitive.

karradur
karradur 07/11/13 - 06:25 am
@myfather15

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 07/11/13 - 06:41 am
There is no need to form

There is no need to form another group. These boys are boy scouts and separating them is just another way to tell them they are not good enough because of the way they were BORN. Many of these boys are more than likely already in the scouts and you're not going to have a huge influx of new gay ones. These are still boys... learning to be adults, unlike some of the posters who are adults acting like spoiled kids.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/11/13 - 06:43 am
"And would this hypothetical

"And would this hypothetical "separate but equal" counterpart also be granted Title 36 status and a Congressional charter like the BSA holds?"

I see no reason why they wouldn't.

And we all get the passive aggressive "separate but equal" comment, but that dog don't hunt. Separate organizations are sanctioned all over the country, such as the Miss Black America Pageant....just to mention one.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/11/13 - 07:29 am
Mr. Thomas although the BSA

Mr. Thomas although the BSA has a great youth protection program in place, this program protects the young boys from abuse by adult leadership. I see no program in place for potential abuse among the members themselves (between homosexual and heterosexual members). I believe that is where the concern lies.

I still find it troubling that a church has no say so in whom they choose to not support with due to unrepented sinful conduct without receiving condemnation from society and especially their fellow brother or sister in Christ.

Mr. Thomas, would you, your pastor, or your church membership be so welcoming to support "Youth Satanic" group or what about "Atheist Nexus" conducting their meetings in your church?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/11/13 - 08:09 am
@ karradur

An organization can function just fine without a Congressional charter.

allhans
allhans 07/11/13 - 08:11 am
WHY is this so important to

WHY is this so important to the gay community? Are they seeking attention? Trying to convert us?
An old, old song says "you go to your church and I'll go to mine..."

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 07/11/13 - 08:18 am
If I were....

If I were a Christian, I would say Grace Baptist's rejection of homosexual scouts is fine, but doesn't go far enough. The Bible teaches us that "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." God says kill them! But of course I am not a Christian, so I reject this as the rhetoric of hateful bigots.

soldout
soldout 07/11/13 - 08:29 am
supporting sin

A church supporting scouting is saying we support sin and don't really believe the Word. A big part of scouting is the morals they promote and when they stopped they ended the most important part of scouting. God wouldn't declare something a sin and then make it impossible not to do the sin. He said there is a way out of every temptation and told sinners to sin no more less a worst thing happen to you. Gay sin is a source of much disease, depression, anger, and destruction. Folks would can get a visual of abortion usually don't support it and the same is true with gay sex. Both have a spirit of death and both end life or the creation of life. God is never the cause of sin but the solution. For joy and peace receive Jesus as your personal savor, believe the Word and the attraction of sin will fade away as it can't compete with the spirit filled life.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 07/11/13 - 08:29 am
no longer morally straight -

The BSA did themselves in when they decided to deviate from their moral standards. The Supreme Court was on their side, yet BSA had to cave to political pressure from a loud minority. The same happened in Canada and they lost 50% of membership and support. There are other alternatives to scouting that many will be migrating to. So long BSA, it was good knowing you.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/11/13 - 08:39 am
Christ Ambassadors and Royal Rangers are good groups.

Christ Ambassadors and Royal Rangers are good groups.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/11/13 - 08:40 am
"who is on the Lord's side, begin to line up...."

"who is on the Lord's side, begin to line up...."

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/11/13 - 08:41 am
"when man's laws conflict with God's Laws, we will obey God's"

"when man's laws conflict with God's Laws, we will obey God's"

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/11/13 - 08:49 am
So people don't believe that

So people don't believe that a young testosterone drivin' homosexual youth won't try to seduce other youth? I had a personal experience that would make me question that. Why not mix girls and boy scouts and have a camping trip and let's see if there is no hanky panky. Our youth are experimenting with sex younger and younger, and studies support the majority of people experiment with sex (significant numbers experiment with same sex) in their youth. I don't care they are homosexual nor are they a threat but youth are driven by sex and mixin' gas with fire can be dangerous. So it isn't homosexuals as I would say the same for mixing girls and boys-it is mixing sexual tensions. Then you also have to worry about the safety of homosexual scouts too-because you know some Bubba who hates gays will tell his son to beat the crap out of them (it happens all the time). Sexuality is a complex thing as it develops and environment plays a role-like people who have been sexually abused become sexual abusers. I don't think we can treat this like a vacuum because as youth develop their sexuality they can be influenced. Heck we all know this from personal experience most likely. Then you have to wonder if the Church will try to influence a homosexual scout-and that opens up another bag of worms tellin' them they are living in sin and their behavior is unacceptable. Remember these aren't consenting adults but youth developing their morality and sexuality.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 07/11/13 - 08:45 am
I don't see how it can ever be the same...

This is not an evolution of change, it's an attack on moral decency. As a former Scoutmaster of two Troops over several years, I just don't see the program ever being the same. First of all, the Scout Oath and Laws will have to be revised. Then the Youth Protection guidelines. To not change them would be hypocritical. Then you have the Scoutmaster who is utimately responsible for the safety and welfare of the youth while balancing a good program with the PLC and Committee. Throw this gay thing into the mix and you'll have a lot more serious issues to deal with.

It was big news to allow openly gay youth in. I'll bet it won't even make the mainstream biased news when they allow gay leaders in. Scouting will become a magnet for child preditors. Besides that, our children are impressionable! Do you really want an openly gay man teaching your young children?

I don't have a problem with gays in the military or workplace, because they are adults associating with other adults. This is an attack on our most precious resource and future - our kids! And this is not the end of it. The attack on our religious institutions is next. This is all part of Obama's fundamentally changing our country. The big question is, what will we end up with?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/11/13 - 08:53 am
Injecting sexuality into the

Injecting sexuality into the Boy Scouts should never have happened. Sexuality should not even be an issue with kids this age and it was not until "someone" with and end goal made it an issue. The Boy Scouts is about camping and fishing and learning skills. No doubt there have been homosexuals in the scouts from day one and everything ran just fine. Whomever made sexuality an issue has destroyed the Boy Scouts and maybe this was their intent. There is a new group starting up now to replace the Scouts called "On My Honor"

bubbasauce
20572
bubbasauce 07/11/13 - 09:02 am
Bizkit, you hurt my feelings

Bizkit, you hurt my feelings by using my name. I have been called Bubba my whole life and I would never, ever tell my daughter to beat up one of these gay kids!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/11/13 - 09:13 am
all sin that is not covered

all sin that is not covered by CHRIST redemptive act will result in a spiritual death**all sin will lead to a physical death for everyone..eel i grant you its a tough verse to explain..but you cannot take one verse by itself and create a doctrine..the bible is a historical record of GOD redeeming his people til final redemtion in CHRISTS second coming..the part of levitics i believe you a referring to is the moral law enforced by a theocratic govt..unlike civil govts later..but make no mistake sin whether audultry or homosexual acts [as well as ALL sin] will recieve a just punishment if not covered by the blood of the lamb... .SO i believe in the GOD of the bible and i am a bigot in your eyes even though you have no clue what the bible really says about GOD ....so to all those who believe in aborting innocent babies, what does that make them in your eyes???

karradur
karradur 07/11/13 - 09:25 am
Do you hear that, dead gay kids of the CSRA?

It's your fault you are not accepted in society.

It's your fault you killed yourselves.

deestafford
deestafford 07/11/13 - 09:26 am
Boy, ain't it easy to rationalize sin and accept it?

There have been homosexuals in the Scouts for decades but it was not out in the open, flaunted and accepted. In my years in scouting I never saw an open homosexual. There were some less than manly boys but never any proven homosexuals.

All the councils except those in the northeast were strongly against the admission of openly gays but like the homosexual issue in the military it was forced down the throats of the leaders and members.

In the military the officers and NCOs had their careers threatened if the said anything against allowing open homosexuality to become policy. The "surveying" of the military as to whether or not to have that policy was rigged and careers threaten even before the "final decision" was made.

Since pro homosexuality policies are like rust in that they only spread after they are allowed, the allowing of homosexual scout masters is next. All sexual abuse by leaders in the BSA has been done by leaders who were homosexuals. If they are allowed to become openly gay leaders expect the cases of sexual abuse to dramatically increase.

I feel sorry for those boys, leaders, and parents who have given so much time and effort to support the Boy Scouts over the years and now seeing the great organization start to crumble because of cowards who worship at the altar of political correctness. All to placate what is estimated to be 3% of the population.

Sadly, this shows which preachers turn a blind eye to sin in order not to "offend" someone. For someone to be accepted by the church they have to repent of their sin and go and sin no more.

karradur
karradur 07/11/13 - 09:28 am
Deuteronomy 23:19.

Destroy all banks.

Kill all bankers.

karradur
karradur 07/11/13 - 09:29 am
1 Corinthians 14:34-35.

Destroy Whole Life Ministries.

karradur
karradur 07/11/13 - 09:31 am
Leviticus 11:7-8.

Destroy Honey-Baked Ham.

Kill all pigs.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/11/13 - 09:46 am
Mathew 4 Even Satan can quote

Mathew 4

Even Satan can quote scripture for his own purpose.

karradur
karradur 07/11/13 - 09:50 am
@Humble Angela

Couldn't Satan quote Matthew 4 to convince others to not quote Matthew 4?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/11/13 - 09:54 am
I think everyone gets my

I think everyone gets my point. And thank you for helping me make my point.

karradur
karradur 07/11/13 - 09:54 am
@Humble Angela

I don't. You are making the claim that anyone can misquote a passage in the Bible, and your evidence is a passage in the Bible.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/11/13 - 09:58 am
Ok....almost everyone but YOU

Ok....almost everyone but YOU gets my point. I apologize if you can't understand that. Thanks again.