Job demands hurt grads

I am a 2012 medical assistant graduate, and have been searching for a job since the day I graduated.

The problem with gaining employment is that every want-ad I read for the position of medical assistant requires the applicant to have one to three years of experience. How are people to gain the experience in any position they apply for if the employers are not willing to give graduates a chance? I think that this would be a good question to pose in The Augusta Chronicle, and would appreciate it if you could do this for me and other graduates.

I have searched on every website possible for employment, such as Monster, Indeed, CareerBuilder, LinkedIn and others – yet they all require experience. If graduates were given a chance to prove themselves, they at least would have the chance at gaining experience. In the past, employers were willing to give applicants the chance to prove themselves.

Graduates spend thousands and thousands of dollars to gain knowledge and get a degree so they can gain employment – yet no employers are willing to help the new graduates. I have carried between a 3.76 and 4.0 grade-point average and still cannot even be called in for an interview, let alone gain employment.

I remember a time when employers would train the people they hired, which appears not to be a factor in this day and age. However, it is required now for applicants to go to college and get a degree. Well, I have that degree, and presently am a student for another degree in hopes of gaining employment with that next degree.

Maybe employers are not aware of this problem for graduates.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/11/13 - 07:23 am
Does volunteer work

Count as experience?

bubbasauce
20639
bubbasauce 07/11/13 - 08:44 am
Welcome to Obama's land that

Welcome to Obama's land that he has created. Good luck though finding that job you want. It's a jungle out there in the real world, and a lot of tigers!

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 07/11/13 - 09:04 am
WOW

I feel for you Janice, I really do. If I was (but I'm not) in a position to help you, I would. Your writing / communication is good and your GPA (+3.76) shows me you were NOT sleeping in your classes. I would offer you my $100 "my GPA is higher than yours" offer right here and right now....if it wasn't for the fact that I would lose that bet (3.69.....lol.....ha). I hate to state the obvious, but I shall. You do know you live in Augusta, correct? Here's the clincher: IT'S NOT WHAT YOU KNOW, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW !!!!! I once did NOT get a job because somebody blatantly lied about me. How do I know they lied about me? I know they lied about me because I have their "official paperwork" - that's how I know they lied. My advice: Save any $$$$$$ you can and leave Augusta in your rear view mirror...and unlike what everyone else in Augusta would say (Delta's ready when you are, blah, blah, blah), do your best to blow this popcorn stand of a town. And I don't even have the time to give you the two best stories I have about people who got jobs that had no right to get those jobs because "they knew somebody." Augusta = good ol' boy network......like it or not.

Darby
Darby 07/11/13 - 12:04 pm
"How are people to gain the experience in

any position they apply for if the employers are not willing to give graduates a chance?"

Nothing new here. Same complaint, same lament I've heard all my life.

I will admit, that in this current economy, that it is a bit tougher than usual, but not worse than it's ever been.

A degree does not and has never guaranteed a job in any field. However, those with the best resume and record stand a better chance of finding employment sooner.

In the meantime you will almost certainly have to take a job on a lower rung of the ladder (one not requiring a degree) or even a job outside your field.

It's tough and not what you want to hear, but that's just the way it is. Even in the best of times (and this ain't them) some graduates can't find a position.

It's not about being willing to give graduates a chance. It's about economic reality.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/11/13 - 04:56 pm
You've got to get away from the internet

In other words, you've got to develop a personal network. Advertising jobs on the internet are the major clinics, the hospitals, the major drug trial companies. They will ask for and they will get experienced employees in recessionary times.

But those experienced employees who snap up the jobs from the major companies, clinics and hospitals leave vacancies in the small doctors offices, small clinics, small labs, etc. That's where you've got to go for employment; and it takes shoe leather instead of internet keyboards.

Also, you've got to be prepared to move. You may not find a job in your desired town, or your desired state.

Also, if the salary range for an experienced medical assistant is $35,000; then you've got to get word to the hiring manager that you're willing to take the same job for $25,000.

Darby
Darby 07/11/13 - 05:24 pm
Does volunteer work count as experience?

Sometimes, sometimes not......

Clemson halts mandatory student sex survey

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson says it has suspended a mandatory survey of students the school says was part of a review to prevent sexual discrimination, harassment and assault.