"Christian nation' not free

Yes, Hobby Lobby, we know America was founded by Christians – bigoted, white, slave-owning, Protestant Christians. But they planted a seed of freedom that was intended to prevent just such a tyranny as the national arts and crafts retailer proposes in its envisioned “Christian nation.”

From the early 1800s to the 1960s, the Catholics and Baptists fought hard for separation of church and state because schools were teaching Anglican Protestant doctrine. How can our fellow citizens – Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Sikhs, Hindus and the rising number of nonbelievers – take what Hobby Lobby proposes as anything but a demotion to second-class citizenship? Morality is the breadth and degree of the compassion, fairness, justice, love and understanding we extend to others.

I choose to embrace all Americans and share this country with everyone, be they Christian, Jew, Muslim, agnostic, gay or straight, male or female, black or white, red or blue. Mixing religion and government makes for both bad religion and bad government.

America is not going to hell in a hand-basket. It is getting better, especially since judicial consolidation in the ’60s of equal rights, women’s rights, and separation of church and state. We value individual freedoms over imposing our beliefs upon others. Minorities can now participate in politics. We don’t lynch people anymore, or beat them up or deny them voting rights because they are different. We expose the abuses of our government, and we speak out against the tyranny of the self-proclaimed righteous, even those who have the money to place full-page ads in newspapers.

myfather15
myfather15 07/10/13 - 10:07 am
DanK

See, this is EXACTLY why I say God, to some people is ONLY a religion and nothing more. He is just a good idea or philosophy but nothing to be taken literal. How can it be any other way to these people? If you truly, deeply believe there is a God and only ONE; how can you not want to live your entire life for Him?

Our Father is a REALITY not a religion!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/10/13 - 10:25 am
'Jehovah's Witnesses believe

'Jehovah's Witnesses believe that blood transfusions violate God's will. That's okay. If they are in a car accident, they don't have to accept a blood transfusion. However, if Bob is a Jehovah's Witness and he owns a company making widgets, does he have a right to deny his employees health coverage that includes blood transfusions by eliminating blood transfusions from the insurance policy?'

I would say yes....if Bob owns the company and providing the insurance coverage then I'd say Bob gets to choose the amount and type of coverage. If Bob's employees don't like it, they can quit working for Bob and choose to work somewhere else that offers the coverage he doesn't or they can purchase their own personal policy through an independent agent.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/10/13 - 10:27 am
to all if you say can

to all if you say can seperate your faith from your everyday dealings ...you have no faith...your everyday dealings are going to be a reflection of what you really believe...so as a christian i believe everyone is in the image of GOD..therefore everyone has value and dignity in their personhood..but this doesnt mean everyone can do as they please...i really believe there is an universal moral code established by GOD...thats why the non-believers cannot understand love the sinner but hate the sin.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/10/13 - 11:31 am
We are no longer a Christian

We are no longer a Christian nation for now, but with all the Hispanics from Mexico that will change fast back to a Christian nation as they gain in population. "separate faith from everyday dealings" now that is a tough one because I have been taken advantage by more people who "claimed" to be Christian than secular. Fact is if a business or person advertises they are "Christian" beware and I run the otherway before they rob me blind. Talk is cheap. Rather than talk watch peoples "walk" and you should be able to identify a follower of the WAY. We were all nonbelievers at one time so I don't discriminate against them because I can't tell the believers from nonbelievers most of the time.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/10/13 - 12:01 pm
i too have been taken by many

i too have been taken by many so called christians..that why i said that their daily walk is a reflection of what they truly believe.. if a person says they are a believer and steals from you...he probably has no true faith..we are a reflection of what we really believe...words are cheap**

DanK
DanK 07/10/13 - 03:45 pm
Live your faith

"So, basically what you're saying is that if I, as a Christian, start my own business; I give up the ability to live my faith, including through my business? So, a Christian now can't start a business without giving up part of their faith. "

Live your faith. Adhere to your beliefs. But do not force others to live YOUR faith. Do not force others to subscribe to your beliefs. They have a right to live their faith too.

If your faith permits you to COERCE others into living by your beliefs, then your faith does not coincide with American values of tolerance and freedom. It is not acceptable to force others to follow your beliefs.

That is true in social as well as business settings. You do not have a right to force others to march in your parade.

allhans
allhans 07/10/13 - 05:32 pm
Supporting something that is

Supporting something that is against your Christian principles is not acceptable. No way.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 07/10/13 - 05:35 pm
You people do realize (I

You people do realize (I hope) that Bob the JW WILL GO TO JAIL if he denies a blood transfusion to his minor child. It's been done before. Look at the Christian scientists. SOMEONE (in this case the government) has to protect children from religious superstitions.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/10/13 - 05:44 pm
"But do not force others to

"But do not force others to live YOUR faith. Do not force others to subscribe to your beliefs. They have a right to live their faith too."

Absolutely Dan, but please tell me how not offering a medical coverage in a health plan that you supply, is forcing that person to subscribe to your beliefs. If that person doesn't believe as you do, then they have a choice to make....either find work elsewhere or purchase a medical plan that suits all their needs. No one is forcing any beliefs on anyone.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/10/13 - 07:09 pm
"You people do realize (I

"You people do realize (I hope) that Bob the JW WILL GO TO JAIL if he denies a blood transfusion to his minor child."

Depends GAD, If treatment refusal results in a child suffering, parents may be criminally liable. However, prosecution rarely occurs. Instead, the courts are asked to exercise their power under the doctrine of parens patriae which allows state interference to protect a child’s welfare. This does not mean he should have to supply coverage through a medical plan for his office assistant's child to get one.

Gage Creed
19348
Gage Creed 07/10/13 - 08:46 pm
The writer of this LTE wears

The writer of this LTE wears his "religion" as squarely on his shoulders as does Fred Phelps, Jim Jones, etc.....

Google Joe Fausnight... review his previous LTE...

And Joe... it appears you champion doing exactly what you claim to oppose.. "We value individual freedoms over imposing our beliefs upon others." that is unless your opinion differs from mine....

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/10/13 - 08:48 pm
@bizkit

"Just think if Martin had killed Zimmerman, we would have never heard of it."

You do know that for more than a month most had not heard of this case because there was no arrest?

On another page people today complained about check points and being required to roll down windows to show IDs. Be thankful Zimmerman wasn't at the check point. You might be dead for not complying since some people think that Martin would be alive if he had stopped and answered a "non-uniformed/non-police" person.

Gage Creed
19348
Gage Creed 07/10/13 - 09:29 pm
From Free Republic "Released

From Free Republic "Released Documents Detail the Department of Justice's Role in Organizing Trayvon Martin Protests"

Another Eric Holder scandal?

myfather15
myfather15 07/11/13 - 05:00 am
DanK

Thanks for completely avoiding, actually answering the question!! So, I'll ask again; if I start a business, that's ME, MYSELF and I; start a business and YOU didn't help start that business; I don't have the right to live my faith throught the business [I] created?

Then, YOU come to work for ME; I pay YOUR salary, but I've got to push MY beliefs aside and provide you BIRTH CONTROL that is against my religious beliefs??? If your answer is yes, WOW!!!! Then this Country truly is not free anymore.

Having said this, I personally am NOT against birth control and have utilized it numerous times. I don't see the big issue people have with birth control, besides listening to much to preachers and MANKIND!!! But, that is THEIR beliefs and I will NOT tell them how to live their beliefs!! Will you??

McDuffie school system closes after influenza outbreak

One day after closing Maxwell Elementary School due to excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to ...