Donate blood if you can

In support of the July 1 article regarding summer blood donations at Shepeard Community Blood Center, I would like to share my story regarding blood donation. I am 58 years old and began donating whole blood in my mid-20s when the bloodmobile came to our church.

Having been involved in an accident as a young man, my father realized the importance of blood donation, and as long as I can remember he and my mother were donors – an excellent example for me. They donated into their early 80s.

When my niece Karen was diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia, I became acutely aware of the need for platelet donation. As I sat in the chair at Shepeard one day giving whole blood, I asked one of the technicians about another person who wore headphones and was watching television, and the difference between her donation and mine. The technician told me she was donating platelets, then asked if I would like to do that. And the rest is history. I said, “Why not?” and began donating platelets every couple of weeks. It evolved into platelet and plasma donations (done at the same time, taking no longer to do both) once a month.

In May of this year I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and was in need of surgery. A couple of days after surgery when I began questioning my family about everything that had taken place since surgery, I was surprised to learn that I had received two units of blood.

That is when I realized the full impact of blood donations. The cycle had come full circle.

The reason I share my story is to encourage those of you who can to go to a blood center – whether it be Shepeard, Georgia Regents University or any other center – and give that gift of life. I will be forever grateful to those who took the time to donate so that I could recover from my surgery and continue my journey.

As a footnote to my experience with Shepeard, when I informed the staff that I would not be able to donate for a while, they not only had good wishes for me but have made phone calls to check on me and sent a card letting me know they care. They are not only concerned about your donation, but you as a person as well.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/08/13 - 06:12 am
Worthwhile Community Service. A real need.

Worthwhile Community Service. A real need.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/08/13 - 06:13 am
Enlightening. Explore the reason blood cannot be synthesized.

Enlightening. Explore the reason blood cannot be synthesized.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/08/13 - 08:04 am
Bless you for donating

... and I pray for your recovery. As a combat soldier I know very well the lives saved by selfless people like yourself.

wendy2281
wendy2281 07/08/13 - 08:15 am
Your story is very powerful!

Your story is very powerful! We all know someone who has received blood. You have inspired me to give!

dmflan88
dmflan88 07/08/13 - 10:17 am
An inspirational story

The number of lives you have touched with your generosity is remarkable and I'm lucky and honored to be your son. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
-David

ppaswerd
ppaswerd 07/08/13 - 10:39 am
Wonderful story from a very special woman

We have known Mrs. Flanders for over 30 years. She has positively touched the lives of many, many, others through her unselfish giving, kind words to others, her compassion for the lives of those around her, and she and her Husband have raised two beautiful Children.
Please join us as we Pray for her recovery, as well as her journey and battle with cancer, and may God Bless her and keep her strong.

cfcronek
cfcronek 07/08/13 - 11:38 am
Dear Sister-In-Law / Dear Friend

I've known Jane most of my life and I agree with all of the comments
before mine. She has always been there for me and our family no matter what, and I will do what ever it takes to be there for her.
I have also donated blood for years, and platelets for our niece.
As Jane has said to me many times.."It is what it is and with God"s help we'll take care of it". Please touch three lives and donate blood.

MTBer
MTBer 07/08/13 - 12:08 pm
Mad Cow

I have given blood numerous times over my life, but several years back I was told that I could no longer donate. I asked why and was told that because I was a member of the armed forces, stationed in Europe during the early 90's, I was at risk for the mad cow disease and therefore not eligible to donate. Sad. Thankfully there are many others willing and able to donate. Thanks for your contributions.

leighf01
leighf01 07/08/13 - 01:57 pm
Proud Daughter

My mother has shown through the years by her dedication to blood donation that you touch many lives with just the one time you may donate. I am so very proud to be your daughter and be allowed to help you through the bumps ahead.
~Leigh

Darby
Darby 07/08/13 - 04:33 pm
My wife, our kids and I have donated over

the years. When my wife was receiving chemo for uterine cancer she was given a transfusion of platelets several times.

I pray for Mrs Flanders to have the same experience and result my wife has had. She has been cancer free for seventeen years now.

I recommend blood donations and, (if you can afford it, contributions to cancer research) as well.

gcap
gcap 07/08/13 - 07:36 pm
Give blood now...

...and receive more than you can imagine. Before an illness got in the way, I donated over six gallons of blood. Once I was called in the middle of the night on New Year's morning. Those at the blood bank made me to feel like a hero, while all I wanted to do was quietly help somebody. Little did I realize what donating blood could do. Jane's donations surely have been rewarded a hundredfold. I encourage everyone to give a pint in honor of Jane, my new sister-in-law who continues to inspire while recovering.

Kettle donations rise in 2014