Government is efficient

Since I moved to Evans, I have been pleasantly surprised at the efficiency of the Columbia County government.

My first positive experience was with the tag office; they were pleasant and informative and swamped with customers, but still had smiles to share. I have been pleasantly surprised at the quick responses from County Commissioner Charles Allen and the tax assessor’s office as well.

Granted, I may not always get the answer I want, but this county operates efficiently. The quick response from the sheriff’s office and the expediency of the driver’s license department also have been good experiences. Thank you, Columbia County!

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/05/13 - 12:45 am
Confusion

I believe the letter writer has her adjectives confused. Perhaps better, rather than efficient would be more accurate.

Government efficiency is an oxymoron in the vast, overwhelming number of instances where government is involved.

Of course this may be one of the miniscule examples where that oxymoron doesn't hold true.

Radwaste
Radwaste 07/05/13 - 04:50 am
Measurements?

For a true evaluation, the observation of good service would have to include the number of personnel assigned to get the job done - including public worker pension information, largely hidden from the public and a MAJOR problem in more and more locations. You cannot siphon off tax dollars to pay people who are not working and be "efficient". Some cities are discovering that you cannot do that and remain solvent!
Glad you had a good experience. Worried that you got a false impression.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/05/13 - 05:58 am
Sorry, Leslie. Your rave

Sorry, Leslie. Your rave just can't compete with the negativity and cynicism (many times, unsubstantiated,) continually expressed on this forum.

Scratch
Scratch 07/05/13 - 06:31 am
Efficient or Just Effective

I agree with Radwaste. There is often a great difference between efficiency, i.e. obtaining desired results with minimal resource allocation, and effectiveness, simply achieving desired results regardless of resources expended.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/05/13 - 08:10 am
Luckily you didn't move to Augusta....

unless you have Braves tickets and Falcon boxes to offer.....

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/05/13 - 09:19 am
And CC has GoodWill Industries, too. Heaven, I'm in Heaven,

and my heart can scarcely........

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/05/13 - 09:22 am
Goodwill is much preferred over that Salvation, and Sin thing.

None threatening stuff is much better. Good works without faith.

Darby
Darby 07/05/13 - 10:37 am
Don't live in Columbia County

but seriously doubt the writer's claim.

Now, if she had said that the county was "relatively" efficient then she may not be on the shaky ground I believe she stands on.

When an entity such as a government has virtually unlimited funds (taxes) to spend in order to achieve a given result, then that result will probably be attained.

I'm happy that the writer was pleased with the service she received. From what I've seen, Columbia County probably is somewhat less wasteful than Richmond County.

The public servants there may also be more pleasant in dealing with their "customers".

That's as far as I'm willing to go.

Government is a necessary evil. The smaller we can keep it, the more efficient it becomes.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/05/13 - 08:35 pm
Columbia Co. should operating smoothly

Many of our best residents from Richmond Co. moved there.

SGT49
SGT49 07/07/13 - 01:13 am
My guess is that you haven't

My guess is that you haven't worked with the water department. We were promised a water tap to our house last December. Still waiting.