Smoking is bad, but legal

I read with interest the June 27 syndicated column by Walter Williams (“Bit-by-bit strategy is classic trait of government encroachment”).

In it he gave several examples of how the government busybodies and tyrants start with a small issue or request and as soon as they are triumphant they extend and magnify it. Such is the case with the current blathering about extending the existing smoking ban to include our private vehicles, bars and certain other outdoor areas. What’s next – our homes? Don’t smirk; I’m sure it’s on their radar screens.

I am not a smoker. I quit more than 30 years ago, and yes, if I’m in proximity of someone smoking, it bothers me. But I’m an adult; I know how to remove myself from that situation. If there is a business that allows smoking, don’t go there. Don’t apply for a job if you know the business allows smoking. Do whatever you must to personally boycott these places. Just don’t try to impose your opinions and moral guidelines on others.

There are existing statewide laws that ban smoking in most public places where children would be present. Aren’t those enough? Do we really need additional intrusion into our private businesses and vehicles?

I think the free enterprise system and peer pressure would take care of the private sector just fine without this added interference of government, busybodies and/or tyrants.

Smoking is a despicable, unhealthy habit, but it’s legal. I would support measures that would eliminate the laws that allow it, but I can’t support stealthily taking our personal freedoms and liberties one plank at a time. It seems to me this is more about one group imposing its will on another, rather than finding a solution that’s fair for everyone.

jkline
jkline 07/03/13 - 07:16 am
Resistance is Futile. At least that is how it seems to me...

Of course, Mr. Bailey is right about the whole direction this is going, and the trend that it is a part of. But he shows the same mistake that most people who do not like this trend make. "There are existing statewide laws that ban smoking in most public places where children would be present. Aren’t those enough?"

That is how it all ratchets forward, slow but sure. Time and again we hear that we have "enough laws," and "enforce the laws already in effect." To get people to think like this is a brilliant coup of psychological operations, for it accept without question keeping what has already been imposed. So, next week something new is imposed, and not liked. Later yet another step is prepared, and we hear the same thing about the new step, the last step being forgotten before the dread of the coming step.

How about taking the offensive to demand the repeal of the previous steps already taken on the road to totalitarianism? Put the totalitarian statists on the defensive, rather than just leaving the initiative to them.

deestafford
deestafford 07/03/13 - 08:08 am
It's called "boiling the bullfrog"

You put a frog in cold water and gradually increase the temperature and before he knows it he's cooked. That's the same thing happening to our regulation nation.

Just put yourself in the job of some regulator sitting at a desk in a cubicle in DC. What are you evaluated on? That's right! How many regulations you get in effect. What is your boss evaluated on? That's right again! How many regulations his section puts into effect. And on up the chain of command it goes. One of the biggest problems we have is there are too many regulators in DC. As a matter of fact, we have too many in Georgia. Just think how many new regulations and laws went in effect on July 1. How many did they delete? I don't remember hearing anything about that.

As far as Dr Williams is concerned, I consider him and Dr Thomas Sowell two of the smartest individuals and economists the world has produced in my life time and I'm in my seventh decade...just approaching the latter stage of middle age.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/03/13 - 11:55 am
The crusaders will not be

The crusaders will not be satisfied until they behead all smokers. They cannot accept the freedom of choice for bars, restaurants, employees, and patrons. They are zealots who MUST kill the infidels. Nothing else will do.

For you on the fence non-smokers, all you have to worry about is what will be their next crusade. Soft drinks, ice cream, hamburgers, French fries, cars, perfume, guns, hunting? Crusaders must ALWAYS have a cause. It's in their genes. The ultimate form of sticking your nose into someone else's business. Dictating to small businesses who their clientele will be even though no one is required to patronize or work there. Hopefully their next cause will not be something you CHOOSE to use. But you can bet there will be a NEXT crusade and you can bet it WILL be something that some of you use. When it happens to you, I wouldn't expect much sympathy or support from the smokers who have been banned from ever eating out or having a drink in a bar the rest of their lives.

But y'all go ahead.....good like with your new buds.....the CRUSADERS....but watch your heads.

corgimom
corgimom 07/03/13 - 03:38 pm
We have all sorts of

We have all sorts of restrictions on drinking liquor, which is also legal, and everybody manages just fine. Nobody thinks that their rights are being infringed upon. Liquor is far more regulated, and nobody blinks an eye.

Get a grip, people. Smoking affects other people. You can do what you want as long as you don't hurt other people.

In fact, I'd rather be around a drinker, than a smoker, when I leave, I don't stink like liquor for the rest of the day.

And small businesses get dictated to every single day. They have all sorts of laws that they must abide by, and then manage just fine.

Everybody has to breathe, nobody HAS to smoke.

What is so sad is that so many people are fighting to slowly kill themselves. They have been lied to, manipulated, and controlled by the tobacco industry, and they fell for all of it. And now they are addicted, and they can't quit.

Even though they know that the cigarette companies deliberately added chemicals to the tobacco to increase their addiction, they aren't angry. They don't feel victimized. They will do anything to smoke.

They say, loudly, 25% of the adults in the US smoke (it's really closer to 20%). That number has plummeted, because other people got the message. Most people start smoking as teenagers. Those people will come on here and complain loudly about how teenagers can get abortions and the morning after Plan B pill- and yet they started an deadly addiction, as children, and they don't seem to grasp how wrong that was. The tobacco companies deliberately market to teenagers and kids, and they think that's ok.

And that is just so incredibly sad. Smoking is responsible for 1/5 of the deaths in the US, and it is #1 for preventable deaths. We would not allow that for any other drug, and that's what tobacco is, a drug. If any other drug had that mortality rate, we would demand it be taken off the shelves immediately.

If 20% of the population were dying after consuming something, nobody would think that it should be sold. But due to the incredible marketing efforts of the tobacco companies, people accept this about cigarettes. Why?

Darby
Darby 07/03/13 - 09:41 pm
I'm very much against government intrusion

into our lives.

At the same time, there are far too many battles to be fought.

There are numerous causes for which I'll fall on my sword. The right to smoke is just not one of them.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/03/13 - 10:44 pm
Right to smoke?

How about the right to operate your small business in your own building with or without cigarette smoke in the air?

KSL
KSL 07/04/13 - 08:28 am
The problem with taking away

The problem with taking away a right you deem to be in the best interest of the public is that sooner or later, they will come after one or more you wish to keep. That door should not be opened.

KSL
KSL 07/04/13 - 12:18 pm
Corgi

Both of my parents smoked until well after my children were born. I have 2 siblings. My mother is almost 90 and very much alive. Sc**w your statistics.

By the way, neither I nor my husband smoke.

KSL
KSL 07/04/13 - 01:16 pm
We have to stop giving up our

We have to stop giving up our rights to the government, aka, big brother. Or else some of us will demand over weight people not be allowed to go back for a second helpings.

Darby
Darby 07/04/13 - 04:48 pm
Lamb - I agree on principle...

just not enough to crusade for that right specifically. Is moral support good enough?

I-20 work today near bridge

This morning a Georgia Department of Transportation District concrete crew will begin sawing a broken concrete slab on Interstate 20 eastbound at the approach to the Savannah River Bridge.