Court decision is ruinous

The recent decision on the Voting Rights Act by the Supreme Court, to say the least, has been embarrassing and a severe blow to people of color in America.

The 5-4 vote has sent shock waves around the world. In Afghanistan, the African-Americans fighting the Taliban are embarrassed because their enemy perhaps is laughing and saying, “You are fighting me, and in my country I am not restricted on how I can vote and once again you are being told you are a second-class citizen and must always be subjected to ridicule and embarrassment.”

All around the world, I bet they also are saying that even our president is being subjected to being required to obey the voting rights laws even though they are unconstitutional.

God bless America. I implore all of my brothers and sisters to remain strong, and God will take care of us!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/02/13 - 04:03 am
Mr. Diggs misunderstands the

Mr. Diggs misunderstands the Supreme Court decision.

corgimom
corgimom 07/02/13 - 04:58 am
I have no idea what this man

I have no idea what this man is saying, and what shock waves is he talking about?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/02/13 - 06:08 am
I would love to see an

I would love to see an explanation as to how treating all states equally is going to be a blow to black people.

Bulldog
Bulldog 07/02/13 - 06:47 am
This guy has missed the boat.

I cannot figure out what this guy is talking about. Every state in the union is now treated equally with regard to voting rights. Have 70% of the states been oppressing voting rights all this time?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/02/13 - 06:58 am
OMG

The British are coming--the British are coming....

Shock waves...are you kidding me....maybe the writer hasn't noticed the world has other problems to worry about.THIS is not on their list.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/02/13 - 07:52 am
One thing is for sure..

this guy shouldn't be allowed to vote.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/02/13 - 07:53 am
He has been listening to NPR.

He has been listening to NPR.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/02/13 - 07:54 am
justthefacts

Good point, but is sounds as if he believes he can no longer vote.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/02/13 - 07:59 am
A product of public education in America. The New Plantation?

From the WHITE HOUSE ( ooooooooh ) to church house, the not good news is spread.

deestafford
deestafford 07/02/13 - 08:28 am
The thug boot of the yankee government has been lifted off

the necks of the South and the left can't stand it. As HA says it's about all states being treated equally. Why should Mississippi be under the boot of the government when it has a higher percentage of its black population voting than does Massachuettes? Maybe the wrong state had the boot of the government on it.

Why are the left and liberals screaming about this decision? Simple. It takes power away from the community organizers, street hustlers and racial pimps. It takes away from them one of the sticks they have been using to stir the honey pot.

Let me make this simple for those who have a difficult time understanding what this decision really said. It said to Congress, "You cannot used 40+ years old statistics to justify the actions imposed on just some states. If you want to impose such actions you have to use up-to-date data and apply it to all states."

Now, what is so hard to understand about that?

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/02/13 - 09:00 am
See the AC is balanced with a

See the AC is balanced with a progressive letter. I assume the letter writer is a progressive because he is clueless and naïve to the facts-Obama's voter base. hee,hee,hee. Now tell me how educated and smart all the Dems are-I know a progressive has published a study to the fact of their genius.

avidreader
avidreader 07/02/13 - 09:55 am
1960, Alabama?

There's an old urban myth about the distraught black man who attempts to vote in Selma, Alabama in 1960. All voters had to be academically literate in order to cast a ballot. A Klansman working the polling site hands the black man a Japanese newspaper and asks him to read the headline to prove his literacy. The black man studies the newspaper for a few moments and responds to the headline, "Ain't no Negroes gonna vote in Selma today."

Of course the above scenario is a myth; however, my POINT is made, and it clearly depicts that deep-south blacks were forced to endure many obstacles in applying their rights to a fair voting process. Mr. Diggs, you make no point in your commentary. You do not offer any examples of why the Supreme Court's recent decision is a travesty to the modern-day African American community. In education, we call it supporting a thesis.

We are not living in the 1960's deep south. Even the disenfranchised and poverty-stricken population can cast a ballot at a polling station that welcomes all comers. And I'm sure someone will rebut this comment by mentioning the voter-ID law, which has nothing to do with the court's decision.

And what if Barbara Sims and her cronies push non-partisan elections to July instead of November. My polling site is a mile from my house, July or November.

We are living in a different world than in 1960. I am truly concerned (and supportive) that the African American population should be looked upon as equal, in all matters of government. The Supreme Court's decision is a good push toward eventual, REAL equality.

burninater
burninater 07/02/13 - 10:31 am
Those who worry about

Those who worry about restricted polling access for minorities clearly didn't learn the lesson from Florida in 2012. You think eight hour waits at polling stations in minority-dominated districts was an accident? If racists in power want to try to suppress the minority vote, they're going to find a way to do it, Voting Rights Act or not.

deestafford
deestafford 07/02/13 - 10:44 am
Burn, Those long waits were not only in minority

districts. They were in other districts as well. I would bet where they are long in minority districts you would see that the democrats are in charge of those voting places.

If I were governor of FL I would really be upset at any voting location where the wait was over one-half an hour. There is no excuse for that anywhere. It's a simple question of math---you have a bunch of people going to vote means you need a bunch of voting machines. I've never understood long waiting lines. I don't know if it is ignorance or stupidity which is the cause of these lines, but which ever it is is inexcusable.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/02/13 - 12:00 pm
Of course

"And minority voters will stand strong, even if it's eight hours to cast a vote, to beat them at their own game."
With 13.5 percent unemployment and 53% employment/population ratio, they have plenty of time on their hands. And they continue to vote for the status quo.

allhans
allhans 07/02/13 - 12:11 pm
Democrats seem to be stuck on

Democrats seem to be stuck on discrimination in the south, discounting the fact that NY and some other states were under the same unequal regulation as the south. They, too, are now FREE!

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 07/02/13 - 12:25 pm
What a letter...

This isn't about equal rights, it's about special rights! Much like, just because I don't like Obama I'm considered a racist? This is going too far...

corgimom
corgimom 07/02/13 - 01:21 pm
Hey, I've stood in line in

Hey, I've stood in line in Charlotte over 2 hours to vote.

And I'm white. Who knew, that I was in a minority district.

Where I live, we can vote early at the library, and it is always jam-packed. Maybe some people are only used to a low voter turnout.

corgimom
corgimom 07/02/13 - 01:28 pm
"In Afghanistan, the

"In Afghanistan, the African-Americans fighting the Taliban are embarrassed because their enemy perhaps is laughing and saying, “You are fighting me, and in my country I am not restricted on how I can vote and once again you are being told you are a second-class citizen and must always be subjected to ridicule and embarrassment.”"

You gotta love somebody that can sit in Augusta GA and decide that soldiers in Afghanistan are "embarrassed". I think they aren't embarrassed in the least, I think they are just concerned about coming home in one piece. Who cares what the Taliban thinks about the Supreme Court?

And this-"Justice Clarence Thomas – placed on the Supreme Court because George H.W. Bush knew he had a diamond in the rough – is paying his African-American brothers and sisters back for the debacle he had with his confirmation, provided by Anita Hill. The late Justice Thurgood Marshall’s many years of hard work have all been erased by Thomas."

Um, well, ok, if he says so. Yeah, sure, payback.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/02/13 - 02:39 pm
Here's a quarter, Joe.

Go get a clue.

Please.

chascushman
chascushman 07/02/13 - 03:40 pm
"Here's a quarter, Joe." I

"Here's a quarter, Joe."
I agree. Many liberals are educated but are not very smart. Glenn Beck wrote a book about it, it is called 'Arguing with Idiots'.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 07/02/13 - 04:30 pm
I can understand that those

I can understand that those who experienced discrimination in the past would be hesitant to see the Voting Rights Act change. But I also think that you have to look at the bigger picture - if the practices that were in place prior to 1965 are no longer an issue, then why not make the changes? Does everyone understand what the recent changes really mean? I'd think that the fact that preclearance is deemed no longer necessary would signify a good thing..

willie7
willie7 07/02/13 - 04:11 pm
I know some of you are making

I know some of you are making fun of Joe's letter but he is speaking from his own experience. Joe is a 75 years old combat veteran of the Korean War who loves his country and the military. Yes, there are still some people who will use every trick in the book to surpress minority voters .Although some things have changed ---some things remain the same. It is a power grab and those who want to remain in power, do whatever, to keep the power.

chascushman
chascushman 07/02/13 - 05:44 pm
'Yes, there are still some

'Yes, there are still some people who will use every trick in the book to surpress minority voters .'
willie7, there is a LOT OF VOTER fraud but most of it is by the democrats.