Dump downtown smoke

There are stories that unfold each day on Broad Street within the confines of buildings more than a century old – untold tales of historical import and fascination. But the real story that occurs each day is the exposure of innocent individuals to the dangers of secondhand smoke. It is not acceptable that smoking is allowed, at liberty, in venues along Broad Street.

From the outset, this letter does not seek to change the health habits of young, reasonable people from smoking cigarettes. That is their decision alone. They know the science. They know the consequences. It is their right to ruin their health, but it is not their right to affect the health of others. This is not OK by any standard and must be made illegal in Augusta.

The costs of secondhand smoke are documented scientifically and are not a matter of speculation. A check of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website (cdc.gov) recites in scientific language the health risks of cancer, cardiovascular disease and myriad other chronic conditions caused or exacerbated by secondhand smoke. It is all there in black and white, not smoke and mirrors (no pun intended, but point made), and its results should be proof enough to pass a ban on smoking in bars in Augusta.

Please, do not continue the state of indoor air pollution in Augusta, and pass a ban. It is a long time coming, and it is such a needed improvement of the social scene in the Garden City.

jkline
jkline 06/29/13 - 03:40 am
We have too many laws already

Enough with regulating every aspect of life. I, and many, are tired of this totalitarian mindset. If the government wants to ban smoking in government owned buildings, it can do that. But privately owned buildings should be left to the owners of the buildings, period. That goes for restaurants and bars, too. Leave it to the people who own the places to decide for themselves. They know that some people do not like second-hand smoke, and can decide for themselves, one way or the other, and not according to yet another edict from distant officials.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 06/29/13 - 05:52 am
What percent of the

What percent of the restaurants and bars in Augusta allow smoking? Of those I've been in, I can say I saw maybe one that had patrons smoking. A great plan, a habit that only a fraction of the population partakes in that you yourselves obviously can't stand, so try to pass legislation to ban this practice from the few establishments that allow it. It's a matter of numbers. Unless someone stands on principle and stops you in your tracks you've won hands down.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 06/29/13 - 06:14 am
A question

BreatheEasy Augusta. On the website it claims " is a coalition of community partners working to ensure that all workers are protected from secondhand smoke exposure." Who are these partners? Does this organization have no officers and why aren't they listed? Contact information is only a form directed to a gmail account. Surely a highfalutin group like this should have a phone number or some other contact information. BTW: Kate Moran, the waitress in your commercials sure must be busy and just can't buy a break. She was stuck working in a smoking restaurant in Arkansas in 2010. And I'll be danged if they didn't build a restaurant that looks just like it in Augusta for her to have to suffer through all the smokers in 2013.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 06/29/13 - 06:23 am
I forgot to add. Even thought

I forgot to add. Even thought she's been around all of that excess smoke for all of these years, Kate doesn't look like she's aged a day.

deestafford
deestafford 06/29/13 - 08:18 am
It appears this young lady maybe a professional anti-smoking

protagonist.

As far as which establishments/businesses allow smoking, the answer is so simple. It's the foundation of our country and it's called freedom of choice. The person who buys the license, pays the taxes, and risks their capital should be able to decide whether or not they allow smoking in their place of business. If smoking causes them to lose money they will change their policy. If smoking allows them to make money they should be able to continue that policy.

As far as some of these second hand smoke studies go, take away the government money subsidizing them and see how many are conducted. I heard for years how many division equivalents the Army lost each day/week/month/year as a result of smoking. I spent 27 years in the Infantry, some of the heaviest smokers in the Army, and not once could I ever recall one of my soldiers going on sick call or missing a day of duty as a result of something related to smoking. Anytime I hear "x" thousands of people die in Georgia from second hand smoke I don't see any specifics as to names and actual causation I am very skeptical.

soapy_725
soapy_725 06/29/13 - 09:10 am
If Bar X is killing you, get out or sue Bar X. Don't punish all

for the sake of a few. If the data is real, you can put Bar X out of business or they will become non-smoking.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/29/13 - 09:12 am
I am for choice....you have

I am for choice....you have the choice to go to a place that does not allow smoking. I don't smoke and I don't like to be around smoking and I make my choices accordingly. This mindset is how New York end up banning salt and large soft drinks.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/29/13 - 09:41 am
According to the Mayo Clinic,

According to the Mayo Clinic, Alcohol is also a factor in developing cancer. "If you choose to drink alcohol, do so only in moderation. The risk of various types of cancer — including cancer of the breast, colon, lung, kidney and liver — increases with the amount of alcohol you drink and the length of time you've been drinking regularly."

I wonder how the letter writer feels about her/his son contributing to other people developing cancer? Maybe he should stop working as a bartender because his actions are harming others by serving them this cancer developing drink. Maybe we need to pass a ban on serving alcohol?

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/29/13 - 10:36 am
Grilling meat now causes cancer

Oh my word! Just read an article that say grilling meat now causes some serious chemical reactions. The biggest worry is that many of the chemicals created have been linked to an increased risk of cancer. In fact, one large study on over 3,000 women found those who consumed a large amount of grilled meat over the course of a year had a 47 percent higher risk of developing breast cancer.

Although they do say try eating grilled meats with cruciferous vegetables (like broccoli). These superfoods contain fancy anti-inflammatory nutrients called isothiocyanates that change the way the body breaks down dangerous grilling chemicals, making the meat safer.

Oh well, too old to change my ways now.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/29/13 - 11:01 am
Agree with this LTE

The bad part of getting people to make and enforce laws about smoking is that the opposition sees this as yet another "BIG BROTHER" intrusion on their freedoms !!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/29/13 - 11:10 am
Quote from LTE

"It makes sense for my son, who barkeeps downtown, and the countless other people who deserve a healthy future, compromised by the bad health decisions of unfortunately too many people who smoke cigarettes."

Jobs are intirely too hard to come by ! Therefore, the smoking bans must be considered for the employee's health.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/29/13 - 12:19 pm
Seriously?? I copy and past

Seriously?? I copy and past two paragraphs from an article from a Mayo Clinic website and I get a thumbs down.....they weren't even my words.

Someone must be very a very negative unhappy person. I'll say a prayer for you even though I don't know your name....the Lord sure does.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 06/29/13 - 12:28 pm
You're obviously not a libertarian,

calling on government to further infringe upon business. Downtown Augusta businesses are in a bit of precarious state as it is.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/29/13 - 12:48 pm

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/29/13 - 02:28 pm
t3

If a person chooses a career as a bartender, wouldn't you think that many people who hang out in bars and drink might also smoke? He helps poison people with alcohol so they can return the favor and blow smoke in his face.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/29/13 - 02:34 pm
t3

You said "Jobs are intirely too hard to come by ! " that I agree with.....did you expect any different when you voted for Obama! You have caught on....its all about dependence on government..... now we need the government to protect us from smokers because we have no other jobs to move to.

corgimom
corgimom 06/29/13 - 05:05 pm
"and not once could I ever

"and not once could I ever recall one of my soldiers going on sick call or missing a day of duty as a result of something related to smoking."

None of them ever got bronchitis, or pneumonia, or stomach ulcers, or mouth sores, or cancer, or heart problems. None of them ever got diabetes, or had vascular problems. None of them had dental problems, either. None of them were ever told to stop smoking. Wow, that must have been some Infantry outfit. They all were healthy as a horse, they were amazing! Why wasn't the Army studying these men, they were a statistical wonder!

Well, Dee, one of the reasons why my father retired from the Army after 21 years was because he suffered a heart attack- he smoked 4 packs a day, he was a chain-smoker. He was 46 at the time. And he most certainly was told by his Army physicians to quit smoking if he wanted to see us kids grow up. It took him a couple of years, but he quit in 1966.

It defies all reason and logic that the military would lie about this, that the VA would lie about this- why would they do this?

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/29/13 - 06:09 pm
Mr. Nyhoff... your son is

Mr. Nyhoff... your son is contributing to the chronic deaths of those he serves... As mentioned by previous posters alcohol is detrimental to health and those who serve alcohol deserve to be ostracized... just like the smokers. Don't you agree?

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/29/13 - 06:42 pm
What a tired argument, but a

What a tired argument, but a very important one!

Of all the public places in the CSRA how many allow smoking? This IS a debate that goes to freedom from government intrusion.

Time and time again it's been pointed out that if you don't like smoking, then don't frequent those places. It's called CHOICE people!

Not once have I seen a suitable response to the question of choice. These people don't want freedom of choice.

All I can say is, work to have the laws changed and tobacco outlawed, OR move to China where the all knowing, all mighty government will make ALL choices for you!

One final point. Little Lamb has made this point before. The real test is are these peeps OK with electronic cigs!

countyman
20236
countyman 06/29/13 - 11:21 pm
CBD

How are downtown Augusta businesses in a precarious state? Please tell me the name of the areas in the CSRA with more momentum.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/29/13 - 11:32 pm
If you're on Walton Way

If you're on Walton Way leaving Milledge and headed towards Baker, you will have more momentum than you can muster in the CBD. Likewise if your are on the Jefferson Davis Highway, at Schultz Hill and are headed towards the Savannah River you experience more momentum than is possible in the CBD. Shall I continue?