Letter squarely IDs decline

Bravo, Clifford Henning, for his letter outlining the transformation of our great nation (“And now, the future news,” June 21).

I could add much more to Mr. Henning’s list of things to come, but it would fall on deaf ears these days. The high-information voter can see the tragic decline in our civilization, which mirrors the fall of Rome, and it is staring us straight in the face. But for the low-information voter, it is all bread and circuses.

However, we are not talking about rational thinkers, are we? These low-information people do not think in an informed way. They are handicapped by self-inflicted denial, aided by a dismal government-run school system, and perpetuated by a nanny-state mentality. This a most certainly a recipe for the decline in our way of life.

Is it when our standard of living hits bottom that these unwitting people, who have supported the regime running things in Washington, come to realize what a colossal mistake they have made? This would be the logical conclusion a rational person would surmise when witnessing an economic meltdown that is so apparent. But again, we are not talking about rational thinkers.

These low-information voters are an emotionally driven group of people seeking pipe dreams while sticking their hands in the pockets of their neighbors. What they failed to realize is that their neighbors’ pockets will run dry, and they will then be left to their own devices.

So, has Mr. Henning hit the nail on the head when describing the dire future ahead of us? I say yes. Based on what has occurred in the past two elections, the future of our once-great nation will be no surprise for the informed and rational voter. However, the future will hit the low-information voter like a ton of bricks. There will be no place to hide, and there will be no help from Washington. Rome is the example, and we are following its playbook, thanks to the low-information voter.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 06/26/13 - 10:52 am
When you see Zaxby and DiFi appearing together, with one voice,

telling us to trust them with the surveillance programs, and not ask questions, then you know it's not particular to one major party or the other, that single-issue voters are exploited just as much as low-information voters, and the for-profit mass media are more than happy to enable and nourish this divide-and-conquer means of preserving the fascist duopoly that rules our federal government. Again, I urge everyone to choose third party candidates to vote for (or write in), just to remind these people of the concept of "the consent of the governed." It's not a waste, and it's not a gift to what you think is the undesirable other major party; candidates have to earn your vote.

RMSHEFF
19892
RMSHEFF 06/26/13 - 11:45 am
Bod

Bod just keep the "copy & paste" thing going on about a phony Fox News Poll. You can design a poll to accomplish any result you wish.

owensjef3
owensjef3 06/26/13 - 12:20 pm
Why does this biased letter

Why does this biased letter writer think he is qualified to call someone a low information voter. You can tell he has chosen a side, he simply ignores all the bad stuff from the Bush Administration and focuses on the last two elections. BTW things have gotten better in almost every category. I guess when we were losing 700,000 thousand jobs and the stock market was crashing those were the good old days to him.

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 01:47 pm
owensjef. What has gotten

owensjef. What has gotten better? Unemployment? The debt? Transparency? Deficit spending? Insurance costs? GITMO closing? What? Tell us. List the "almost every categories" that you speak of.

fishman960
fishman960 06/26/13 - 01:57 pm
Rose colored glasses

Anyone can make the argument that their side is winning provided the game is still being played.
I guess if I was an Obama supporter, I would be happy too. He's still in office, so we are winning.
I might be guilty of giving both Bush's a pass and even Reagan too. I side with their policies, so they were better in every category.
In retrospect, I would much rather have Bill Clinton for another 8 yrs over what we have had. At least he seemed to care about America.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/26/13 - 02:02 pm
Quote from LTE

"These low-information people do not think in an informed way. They are handicapped by self-inflicted denial, aided by a dismal government-run school system, and perpetuated by a nanny-state mentality. This a most certainly a recipe for the decline in our way of life."

Why doesn't the writer call these "low-information voters" either conservative or liberal ?? It surely is not talking about me !!

burninater
burninater 06/26/13 - 02:04 pm
I'm a bit puzzled at the

I'm a bit puzzled at the supporters of this letter that condemn others for "name-calling". This letter does nothing but repeat stereotypical smears about fictionalized villains. No specifics, no substance, just puerile name-calling.

Do people even read and think anymore?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/26/13 - 02:05 pm
confrontation

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:07 pm
No offense t3, but you DID

No offense t3, but you DID mention a non-existent "tea party" ballot. And the reason he doesn't call the "low information voters" either liberal or conservative, is because there are "low information voters" on both sides. Both are equally dangerous.

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:09 pm
"It is exactly this kind of

"It is exactly this kind of name calling and political divide that is the reason this country is in the shape that it is in !!"

You mean like when the President called us bitter...and clinging to our guns and religion? Or when he said his enemies (Republicans) should be punished? Or when he said we had to ride in the back of the bus? Is that the divisiveness you are talking about?

burninater
burninater 06/26/13 - 02:13 pm
So HA, why emulate?

So HA, why emulate the behavior of such a divisive President? And I don't mean you specifically, but this letter is a perfect example of the type of emulative, divisive rhetoric we hear daily from individuals that claim to offer an alternative to Obama's divisive tactics.

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:13 pm
Why not condemn him for what

Why not condemn him for what he is doing? I haven't called people who think differently bitter, or my enemy. Nor have I told them they have to ride in the back of the bus. Obama has, so I don't see that I am emulating him. If you want to know why someone ELSE is emulating that behavior, I suggest you address that person.

burninater
burninater 06/26/13 - 02:14 pm
HA, you responded too quickly

HA, you responded too quickly -- my post was not calling you out specifically. My repost expands my point.

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:15 pm
"Why should anyone believe

"Why should anyone believe that a vote for the opposition is nothing but a vote for the same divisive tactics?"

Did Bush call liberals bitter, or his enemies? Did he use the IRS to keep them from getting tax free status? Did his DOJ refuse to prosecute voter intimidation? Did his administration sue any states for enforcing federal laws?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/26/13 - 02:15 pm
HA, the Bush years

Do you conservatives even KNOW AND REMEMBER the shape of this country when George W. left office ??

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:19 pm
Yes we remember T3. There

Yes we remember T3. There was less debt, and more employment, less IRS targeting, FAR less food stamp recipients, and health insurance was more affordable. Don't you remember?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/26/13 - 02:22 pm
To all liberals

THIS LTE is not necessarily talking about us liberals !! I mean, how many "low-information voters" have guns and want even more guns ??

Question: How many guns can a "low-information voter" fire at one time? That's the number of guns that one should need for protection !!

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:24 pm
t3bledsoe. How many DVD's

t3bledsoe. How many DVD's can you watch at a time? That's all you need then. How many pairs of shoes can you wear at one time? That's all you need then. The list should go on. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED (even if you think it should)

faithson
faithson 06/26/13 - 02:25 pm
jtf

you make my point with your 11:36. overwhelmingly, Fox viewers believe what Fox tells them... to the tune of like 70%, now thats pretty scary if you think about it.... an information source where 70% of the audience 'believes' ALL and I mean ALL that is being said... pretty frightning if you think about it... being spoon fed with information YOU WANT to hear, oh yea, lotta believers in that.

burninater
burninater 06/26/13 - 02:27 pm
No HA, divisiveness was not

No HA, divisiveness was not Bush's failing (3:15 post). He is downgraded primarily for his expansion of the federal debt, the sanctioning of torture as official American policy, and the trillion-dollar misadventure in Iraq.

That avoids my question though -- why focus on divisiveness as an unacceptable behavior, and then practice that very behavior? How does this do anything but promise that the opposition plans to behave in exactly the same way?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/26/13 - 02:27 pm
Bush economics

"Yes we remember T3."

And what about Bush's last few months in office ?? Should Obama be blamed for that too ?? We will NEVER know what would have happened to our economy if the banks, wall street, and the auto industry had not been bailed out !!

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:31 pm
You are right....Bush had a

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:31 pm
"He is downgraded primarily

"He is downgraded primarily for his expansion of the federal debt, the sanctioning of torture as official American policy, and the trillion-dollar misadventure in Iraq."

I agree with all of that. And I don't see that I'm practicing any divisiveness.....correct me if I'm wrong.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/26/13 - 02:34 pm
How many guns does it take to kill

"The list should go on. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED (even if you think it should)"

burninater
burninater 06/26/13 - 02:35 pm
Again HA, I'll repeat -- I

Again HA, I'll repeat -- I wasn't directing that comment at you specifically. It was directed at this letter of pure divisive rhetoric, and the support of this type of divisive rhetoric by commenters today who simultaneously condemn divisiveness by others.

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:35 pm
"He is downgraded primarily

As I said, I agree with that statement and condemn Bush for it. Curious that hardly any Obama supporters are willing to condemn HIM for expanding the debt even more, getting us involved in more wars, and sanctioning the killing of US citizens without due process.

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:36 pm
Sorry Burn...I can only speak

Sorry Burn...I can only speak for myself.

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:37 pm
"SOOO, conservatives need

"SOOO, conservatives need multipul guns ?? Why is that, to be able to change guns like one changes clothes ??"

What difference does it make why? They are constitutionally entitled to them. The 2nd amendment does not say that the right of the people to keep and bear one gun shall not be infringed.

Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 02:39 pm
And it's not just

And it's not just conservatives that need/want guns. US Citizens want and need guns. No need to be divisive on this topic.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/26/13 - 02:39 pm
HA @ 3:31

"You are right....Bush had a bad last few months. That makes the last 6 years that Obama had, that were abysmal, and that he has made WORSE, ok."

NO, NOT OK ! You are unwilling to even consider that Bush's terrible last few months are still some of the problems ?