Deen reaction overblown

Have I got this right? The Food Network has dumped chef Paula Deen for racial comments made years ago?

On the positive side, Fox News interviewed a group of black conservatives. Gasp! Yes, black conservatives – college-educated and successful. Their consensus was: Don’t call us blacks and don’t call us hyphenated-Americans. Call us Americans!

An excellent leap forward, and long overdue.

However, the downside is unemployment for the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and their ilk.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 03:51 am
I saw the program too..very impressive

ymnbde
ymnbde 06/25/13 - 05:04 am
oh, how the woman lies prostrate before the media

as they extract their pound of flesh
and apply their scarlet letter

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 06/25/13 - 06:07 am
Manufactured Outrage

... by racists finding offense by words spoken decades ago in a place they weren't there to hear.

deestafford
deestafford 06/25/13 - 06:25 am
This is all about money

I went and read a number of stories about this in the Savannah Morning News at Savannahnow.com and I got much more information about this case than what is put out by the main stream media and the tabloids.

Mrs Deen used the N-word (I hate that phrase) decades ago when a black man held a gun to her head during a bank robbery when she was a teller. Growing up in the South in the 50s and 60s use of that term was common place. Oh, how righteous we are looking back from today's perspectives. I can take you places in rural areas where blacks and whites use that term today when they are talking to each other of the other race.

The woman bring the case, Jackson, and her lawyer are in this to extort money from Mrs Deen. She is white by the way and saying that she was very sensitive to race because her "neices" are mixed race in that they have a black father. Well, come to find out the "neices" is actually the one "neice" who is the daughter of her female "partner". Her female "partner" said in her disposition that the father of the "neice" is a actually Hispanic and Jackson has not seen her in years.

I think Mrs Deen was blind sided in the giving of the disposition in that she was not properly prepared by her lawyer as to what would come. It would have been good if she had asked the opposing lawyer if he had ever used that word. And then ask the stenographer if she had ever used that word. My guess is they would have to had said yes if they were truthful.

I think the Food Network and Smithfield Foods jumped the gun in their actions by not waiting until the whole situation came to its conclusion. The quality of the Food Network programming has gone down hill in the last few years so I won't be missing a whole lot when I now boycott them. And Smithfield will never miss the money I no longer spend buying their products. My guess is they will lose a lot more money by Mrs Deen's supporters boycotting them than they would have lost by not dismissing her. It's sort of like the sponsors who responded to the calls of the liberals when Rush Limbaugh said something negative about Sandra Flute and cancelled their advertising on his program. Lo and behold they lost money and came crawling back asking Rush to take them back and he wouldn't even answer their calls. You see, Rush had more supporters who bought from the sponsors than there were liberals who threatened to boycott. I think the same will happen with Mrs Deen.

Final point is who wants to be held accountable for a phrase they have not used in decades. Not me.

tom31510
tom31510 06/25/13 - 07:35 am
Spick, wetback, Kraut, Jap, Wop.....

All of these derogatory terms were at one time commonly used terms in common American's vocabularies, as was 'the N-work', as have been cracker, redneck, hick & hillbilly. Where is the outrage in the press when those terms are used? Political correctness has gone way too far. Next thing you know Uncle Ben's white Rice will become Bleached Rice & Brown rice will be Unbleached Rice. As long as we have hyphenated Americans, we will have divisiveness.
Paula Deen was a single mother raising to sons. She worked hard, as did they. She became very successful; her success points out what single mothers can do. Big mistake in today's society. Paula, you got way too much, we gotta take from her so someone else can get what she's worked so hard for. It's the new American way, and politically correct.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/25/13 - 07:55 am
I noted on MSNBC a black

I noted on MSNBC a black pastor stating she could save her career by taking sensitivity classes and service-to change her "evil" ways. I 'll take it seriously if he said he wanted those on generational welfare to take classes to get off it. Course suggesting that makes you a racist. Which is odd since most on welfare are white which would makes those making those comments racist. Dang my head is spinning.

prov227
prov227 06/25/13 - 08:28 am
Boycotts ...

work both ways. They are a means of destroying commerce and free markets.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/25/13 - 09:15 am
Quote from LTE

"Hey, if you want to hear the N-word, just turn on late-night cable TV comedy or run down to any bar’s jukebox and drop in a few coins!"

Many black comedians still use this word to "get a laugh" out of both white and black members of the audience. Why then is it considered terrible for whites to use it ??! Let me just say that, in my convictions, THERE IS NO PLACE FOR THIS WORD !!!!

Real talk
Real talk 06/25/13 - 10:47 am
Guys move on with something

Guys move on with something else. There are things worthy of news just not this.

bigj706
bigj706 06/25/13 - 11:41 am
There is no use of the word

There is no use of the word on either side I wish no one would use it including entertainers and rappers. If no one uses the word then it would stop the "they use it so why cant I" debate .

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 06/25/13 - 12:02 pm
@tom31510

Your post reminded me of a routine George Carlin did years ago where he goes through a litany of derogatory terms - then finishes with the point that the words themselves don't have the power to harm - it's the intent.

debie0627
debie0627 06/25/13 - 12:05 pm
"Let those among you without SIN, cast the first stone."

This is so sad! I do not know of anyone who hasn’t made a mistake in their lives, be it calling others outside of their names or by some other way. The problem in our country is that we never want to accept a heart-felt apology and turn the other cheek.

We will always throw past mistakes up in the face of the perceived culprit. But in reality the majority of the time people just like to see other people suffer.

Thank the Lord Paula is still alive and well and this erroneous report is just another attempt to cause pain. I hope that whomever dreamed up this nonsense gets a small taste of what he is putting other folks and their loved ones through.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 06/25/13 - 01:41 pm
Even DeWayne Wickham

... USA Today's resident racist writer, a man whose feet are firmly planted in in the days of Jim Crow, basically said in his column on Deen today, "Give it a rest, dude."

corgimom
corgimom 06/25/13 - 07:07 pm
This was, and still is, the

This was, and still is, the biggest non-story. What a sad state of affairs, that something so ridiculous could make the national news for days and days.

fedex227
fedex227 06/25/13 - 08:41 pm
I agree, totally a non story.

In a month - forgotten. Unless those who object would like to dump capitalism in favor of passing laws that ban the Food Network (or whomever) from dumping Paula Dean.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/25/13 - 09:37 pm
No, the FN has every right to

No, the FN has every right to do business as they see fit. Consumers also have every right to do business with whomever they want. I hope those ticked with this situation never watch the FN again, and never buy a Smithfield product again. Both sides are standing by their principles in that case.

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/25/13 - 10:33 pm
Big Deal. Call me a cracker

Big Deal. Call me a cracker or my wife a hillbilly. Doesn't bother me.