Biblical revelation needed

It is with great interest that I read the editorials and letters in The Augusta Chronicle. It is with greater interest that I note the Bible verses that appear daily in The Chronicle. Yet, for all this “goodness,” something is lacking – without a biblical foundation our culture and country is doomed.

Editors of The Chronicle lament the “village” attempt to raise a child which has been disastrous (“So much for the village,” June 9). They call for the resurrection of the family. On what basis is this call? Why are the failures of the village “bad?” If there is no ultimate standard for a moral culture, what difference does it make how children are raised and how they turn out? What difference does anything make?

At this point, I must ask forgiveness of The Chronicle, its readers, and the nation. For the most part, the churches (Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox) have failed both to proclaim and to follow biblical teachings. Degradation in society and in civil government has only come about because Christians and their churches have failed in this mission to preach the whole Gospel, not only of the necessity of conversion but Jesus’ command – “If you love me, keep my commandments” – not just some, but all in the comprehensive manner in which He developed them (lust leads to adultery, anger leads to murder, etc.).

Perhaps what we need is a reversal of God’s normal order. Since Christians and churches are not holding up the biblical standard, The Chronicle should call them to account for their sins that have led to these social evils. But, regardless of who does the calling, without a biblical revelation for individuals, families, society and the state, the people will perish.

Ed Payne, M.D.

Augusta

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/22/13 - 01:44 pm
My PhD is in a hard science

My PhD is in a hard science but I would be the first to admit my ignorance in so many subjects. Also one of the "smartest" people I have ever known (inspired me to learn) was a self educated man-most considered him a bum. I agree that some people will mock, etc-however people planted seeds in me with no better return-fact physically threatened one Jesus freak. So I still prefer planting seeds because one never knows others positions and how the wheel turns.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/22/13 - 01:49 pm
If someone told me when I was

If someone told me when I was 40 that within the decade you will discover a "spiritual" side and become an evangelical Christian-I would have laughed myself to death with such an absurd and silly notion. Wonders never cease-and every knee will eventually bow. Even Spock of Star Trek fame practiced spirituality.hee,hee,hee.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 01:57 pm
Faithson

His kingdom is not of this world. It seems that some in the Church have assigned themselves a task that they were not given. It is not our commission to moralize a immoral world. This world is passing away. What difference would it make we could convince unsaved people to behave in a morally correct way while remaining lost. This is where those that push the " social gospel" go off the rails. Our commission is not to make sure everything in this lost and dying world is " fair and equal." This is not our home. Preach the Word in season and out.

grouse
grouse 06/22/13 - 02:58 pm
I understand that this guy is

I understand that this guy is a psychiatrist. If someone came to him saying they heard a voice and talked to this voice, what would he do? But if the same person revealed the voice was God's, would that change his course of treatment?

corgimom
corgimom 06/22/13 - 04:21 pm
I wonder, does the AC hire

I wonder, does the AC hire divorced people? People who have babies and aren't married? People who use birth control? People who have gotten DUI's? People who have been in prison and are convicted felons? People with alcoholism, drug problems, anger problems? People that commit adultery? People who have had abortions?

But the AC should be the ones to proclaim moral standards? Really?

faithson
faithson 06/22/13 - 06:08 pm
RM

yet is is our duty to 'serve' our fellow man in whatever capacity our 'spirit of truth', the Holy Ghost, leads us after we 'ask' in prayer.

corgimom
corgimom 06/22/13 - 07:28 pm
No, Bizkit, as you get older,

No, Bizkit, as you get older, most people develop a stronger faith.

Life has a way of doing that to you. It's not a "wonder", it's part of maturing, and seeing and dealing with life situations.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/13 - 09:30 pm
"as you get older, most

"as you get older, most people develop a stronger faith"

Only if you have the faith to start with.

I'm still trying to figure out why corgimom asked if the AC hired divorce people, those who have had a child out of wedlock or gotten a DUI?

"But the AC should be the ones to proclaim moral standards? Really?"

Where has the AC stated their viewpoint. I thought the letter was Dr. Paynes opinon?

Goat project looking good

In just more than a week since nine goats were assigned to eat overgrown vegetation at an Augusta detention pond, officials and area residents are already noticing a difference.