Biblical revelation needed

It is with great interest that I read the editorials and letters in The Augusta Chronicle. It is with greater interest that I note the Bible verses that appear daily in The Chronicle. Yet, for all this “goodness,” something is lacking – without a biblical foundation our culture and country is doomed.

Editors of The Chronicle lament the “village” attempt to raise a child which has been disastrous (“So much for the village,” June 9). They call for the resurrection of the family. On what basis is this call? Why are the failures of the village “bad?” If there is no ultimate standard for a moral culture, what difference does it make how children are raised and how they turn out? What difference does anything make?

At this point, I must ask forgiveness of The Chronicle, its readers, and the nation. For the most part, the churches (Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox) have failed both to proclaim and to follow biblical teachings. Degradation in society and in civil government has only come about because Christians and their churches have failed in this mission to preach the whole Gospel, not only of the necessity of conversion but Jesus’ command – “If you love me, keep my commandments” – not just some, but all in the comprehensive manner in which He developed them (lust leads to adultery, anger leads to murder, etc.).

Perhaps what we need is a reversal of God’s normal order. Since Christians and churches are not holding up the biblical standard, The Chronicle should call them to account for their sins that have led to these social evils. But, regardless of who does the calling, without a biblical revelation for individuals, families, society and the state, the people will perish.

Ed Payne, M.D.

Augusta

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 11:26 am
now I am confused......

T3 says these illegals are good workers and should get credit where credit is due...... but .........rmsheff says no...just profess faith and you are then a card carrying "saved one".

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 06/22/13 - 11:26 am
Father Michael???

So the good doctor thinks Mike "so sad" Ryan needs a new title, Father Michael! I can hear it now, Father Mike fulminating from the ACES pulpit,
calling on Chronicle readers to get down on their knees and acknowledge their manifold sins. Just wondering, Father: how many Hail Marys do I need to say for being a liberal?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:28 am
Study the Bible.... James

Study the Bible.... James 2:14 "Faith without works is dead". All James is saying is that if a person is truly saved there will be good works. The absents of good works (no fruit) is evidence of dead or NO faith.

Ephesians 2:8-9

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 11:29 am
@eel

did not you see that rmsheff said catholics will not get in?
so no matter how many hail marys you do.... (and also the fact that you are a liberal) .... you have no chance of getting in.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:30 am
EEL

Hail Mary will not help!

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:36 am
Bubba is confused

Bubba is confused again....let me help....Romans 10:9

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Confessing is easy but not all believe in their heart. Nothing here about being a catholic either good or bad catholic or saying hail Mary,

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 11:35 am
"did not you see that rmsheff

"did not you see that rmsheff said catholics will not get in?"

ALL people of faith and good works and telling The Gospel to others will; most likely; enter into Heaven.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 11:38 am
ICL

Is ICL still on line ?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:38 am
Bubba

Am I throwing Pearls before swine?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 11:40 am
RMSHEFF @ 11:38

"Am I throwing Pearls before swine?"

Exactly what does this mean ?

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 11:43 am
bbbbbut...

Pope Francis says that atheists can go to heaven by good works.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:46 am
t3

You said "ALL people of faith and good works and telling The Gospel to others will; most likely; enter into Heaven".

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 11:50 am
RMSHEFF @ 11:46

"One correction: We are saved by the Grace of God through Faith in Christ. After salvation is when good works and telling others WILL happen. If these two thing are absent this gives a reason to believe the person is not actually saved."

This is basicaly what was said at Wednesday's Bible study.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 11:52 am
who believes

I see now why HA said that she could tell if posters believed in Christ or those that don't !!

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 11:53 am
@t3

what does "throwing pearls before swine" mean?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:53 am
T3

There is a good mens Bible study in your area that will began later this year. Its called BSF and will be meeting at Warren Baptist @ 6:55 pm each Monday when the study starts later in the summer. We will be studying the book of Matthew this year. I think you may like it.

ps://www.bsfinternational.org/

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:55 am
Bubba

Not sure....that is why I ask you!

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 11:56 am
rmsheff

you said it........ what does it mean?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 11:57 am
RMSHEFF @ 11:53

Thanks for the info. My wife would like to make me go, but she would be satisfied if I would just attend church every Sunday.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 12:10 pm
bubba & t3

I think you know what it means. I may be wasting my time trying to share God's truth with those that mock His word and have no interest in the truth.

T3....tell your wife BSF also has a women's class that meets at The First Baptist Church on Walton way. This is a world wide Bible study and no matter where you travel, each town has aBSF class studying the same section of Scripture at the same time so you can attend anywhere you may be at the time. There are about 200 men at the Mens study. They break into groups of 10-15 men for study and discussion.

grouse
grouse 06/22/13 - 12:10 pm
I find it baffling and a

I find it baffling and a little frightening that a medical doctor believes in superstition...

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 12:27 pm
Out of here

Gone to lunch. maybe back later.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/22/13 - 01:05 pm
Well we have all known people

Well we have all known people with a MD or PhD behind their names and they are lunatics or idiots, so being able to attain a higher degree doesn't always reflect knowledge or critical thinking skills-it is often a degree in persistence and humiliation too. People forget that a MD degree is a professional degree like being a lawyer or dentist and not an academic degree. In Europe general "Doctor" is reserved for PhD and held in higher regard, here the MD is held in much higher regard. Believe me I know a lot of PhDs ticked off they don't get the big bucks or esteem. I don't have a problem with people noting their education but it don't hold a lot of water with me until they demonstrate they have a functioning brain. I think the letter writer is correct in the posit that religion is important to the family unit. Evolutionary biologist agree too because humans use to be more nomadic and less social and religions are believed to have evolved to promote pro-social behaviors, altruism, the family and culture. It doesn't matter which religion as they all encourage the family unit-so it doesn't have to be a bible. Of course if you are a Christian-there is but one way.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/13 - 01:14 pm
Duff stated "I'm not talking

Duff stated "I'm not talking bad about anyone or looking up or down upon anybody"

Oh yes you are. If not you never would have stated:

1. "Ok, so you're educated, we get it. lol"
2. "I don't understand how his professional title is relevant to the article he wrote."
3. "I guess doctors earned their right to pretentiously throw around their title"

It's quit clear you are miffed that this Dr. gave his title after he signed his letter and it put you on the defensive (why I have no idea unless it's because you feel inferior), so you proceeded to poke fun and can't understand why others find that offensive.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/22/13 - 01:15 pm
RMSHEFF it isn 't pearls

RMSHEFF it isn 't pearls before swine-just plantin' seeds. If people have no interest or have chosen not to believe-then that train has left the station. I used the Bible to attack Christianity for thirty years-many a youth were impacted by my teaching science over religion. Then I met God and found his Word filled with Truth and I have been reconciling my past beliefs with my present. I find pursuing these two domains very rewarding.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/22/13 - 01:26 pm
I grew up in a very rural

I grew up in a very rural area so few moved on to attain higher degrees. Most are surprised I managed M.S. and PhD given I was a poor student who never did well (Gosh just like Barak) in elementary or high school. More renown for my antics and bad behaviors (Gosh just like Barak).They all thought I was an idiot-well a crazy idiot who would become a comedian or a criminal. Now I see those I grew up with and they comment bout what a "brain" I turned into and wondered where did that come from-drug use???? (Just like Barak). However I have to correct them-I am now an "educated" idiot-and still crazy. LOL. I do now finally realize that I have the skills to become president just like Barak.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/13 - 01:27 pm
Bizkit, I do believe that

Bizkit, I do believe that there is a fine line between throwing pearls before swine and just planting seeds. I have no problem and love the idea of planting seeds where the soil at least can be tilled but when you have interaction as has been displayed today, where ridicule, mockery, and the Word of God is trampled on with not the least bit of respect, then it appears pearls have been casts instead of seeds planted.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 01:38 pm
There are so many phony PhDs

There are so many phony PhDs around these days they are largely without meaning unless the PhD is in the hard sciences. I have known many very smart people who could not cut it in medical school. Like engineering, it is a very small percentage of people that have the ability make it through the schooling. I have much less intellectual respect for a person with a PhD in the Social Sciences and their pay usually reflects societies opinion of their worth.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 01:41 pm
Bizkit

It is hard to tell where one stop and the other begins but at some point we must knock the dust off our sandals and move on leaving the rest up to God.

faithson
faithson 06/22/13 - 01:41 pm
always so interesting

to see people make the great mistake that the Jews made some 2000 years ago. The desire and belief that the 'secular' temporal state will become the Kingdom of -od. That this 'gift' Our Lord brought to us is to be fullfilled by 'Kingdom Rule of the righteous', when all Christ taught was the Kingdom of Heaven, a 'spiritual' kingdom of spiritual power, not secular power; 'Whosoever Will
The door of eternal life is wide open to all; "whosoever will may come"; there are no restrictions or qualifications save the faith of the one who comes." UB