Biblical revelation needed

It is with great interest that I read the editorials and letters in The Augusta Chronicle. It is with greater interest that I note the Bible verses that appear daily in The Chronicle. Yet, for all this “goodness,” something is lacking – without a biblical foundation our culture and country is doomed.

Editors of The Chronicle lament the “village” attempt to raise a child which has been disastrous (“So much for the village,” June 9). They call for the resurrection of the family. On what basis is this call? Why are the failures of the village “bad?” If there is no ultimate standard for a moral culture, what difference does it make how children are raised and how they turn out? What difference does anything make?

At this point, I must ask forgiveness of The Chronicle, its readers, and the nation. For the most part, the churches (Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox) have failed both to proclaim and to follow biblical teachings. Degradation in society and in civil government has only come about because Christians and their churches have failed in this mission to preach the whole Gospel, not only of the necessity of conversion but Jesus’ command – “If you love me, keep my commandments” – not just some, but all in the comprehensive manner in which He developed them (lust leads to adultery, anger leads to murder, etc.).

Perhaps what we need is a reversal of God’s normal order. Since Christians and churches are not holding up the biblical standard, The Chronicle should call them to account for their sins that have led to these social evils. But, regardless of who does the calling, without a biblical revelation for individuals, families, society and the state, the people will perish.

Ed Payne, M.D.

Augusta

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 10:03 am
So its like a way of saying,

So its like a way of saying, "Hey I must know what I'm talking about cause I'm a doctor" right? ha ha

Its absolutely his prerogative to throw his title around any way he wants, but it doesn't make it any more necessary, in my opinion, because of its lack of connectivity to the topic he's writing about.

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 10:03 am
I thought..

I thought the M.D. meant Morally Dominant........
it doesn't?

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/13 - 10:08 am
I suppose if someone has low

I suppose if someone has low self esteem they would find someone else placing the letters of a earned degree beside their name as being pretentious or even extraneous. Personally I think it's just part of a name and was more interested in what the commenter had to write.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 10:10 am
t3, I have no way of knowing

t3, I have no way of knowing for sure. People are admitted to Heaven one at the time, based on believing the Gospel and not by works and not admitted to Heaven in groups. Jesus said.. "You will know them by their fruits" If you are a discerning Christian you will be able to tell, by what they believe and how they live their lives.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/13 - 10:14 am
Correct RMSHEFF. Now back to

Correct RMSHEFF. Now back to the topic of the letter.

I tend to agree with Dr. Payne, that the Church needs reviving. We as a people have become complacent and are riding the proverbial fence. Some of us worry too much about what the world thinks, instead of what God thinks. We have failed to study His Word, failed to pray and worship His name, and we have allowed Satan to maintain a foothold because we are more concerned about being a friend of the world instead of a friend to Jesus.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 10:25 am
ICL

Good post, being a true Christian is something that cannot be hidden. You Faith will come out in everything you say and do. Don't fool yourselves.

Matthew 7 makes it clear that "many" who think they are saved are not saved. This is called "self deception". This is a very strong statement by the Lord and should be very sobering statement and cause everyone to examine their lives.

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 10:30 am
@rmsheff

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 10:31 am
Feel the same way about doctors

"Am I the only one who finds this practice pretentious and extraneous? I guess so. lol"

NO YOU ARE not the only one that feels that way ! My first cusin is a medical doctor, and he has a superior attetude ! The annual salaries is why the cost of medical treatment is so blooming high.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 10:35 am
"So...if I plan to jump the

"So...if I plan to jump the fence (pearly gates) then me and my friends should do it one at a time?......Are there illegal immigrants in heaven?"

YES, there will be MANY illegals in Heaven. I believe that meny of illegals are very good Catholics !

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 10:37 am
@t3

LOL

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 10:37 am
Sorry bbb bubba....you will

Sorry bbb bubba....you will never see the "pearly gates" let alone get close enough to jump any fence, of which there are none in Heaven. Fences and gates are around hell to keep those in that reject Christ. If you do not accept Christ as savior you will go directly from the Judgement seat to eternal darkness.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 10:41 am
t3 , being a "good catholic"

t3 , being a "good catholic" won't get you there either.

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 10:43 am
no fences eh?

then the border is not secured...........good.....thanks for the info

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 10:45 am
what ???

so good catholics are excluded?
and who else is excluded?.....mormons?......protestants?.....lutherans?.....
give me the list so that I can avoid these.........

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 10:49 am
ICL @ 10:14

"We have failed to study His Word, failed to pray and worship His name, and we have allowed Satan to maintain a foothold because we are more concerned about being a friend of the world instead of a friend to Jesus."

This is so very true. I must say, I am guilty of this as well. Christians must tell The Gospel to others. Not doing this is what makes so many of us lacking in our faith.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 10:51 am
Quite simple actually....Sola

Quite simple actually....Sola fide ("by faith alone") not by works. Being a "Good" anything won't get you to Heaven only by Faith in the finished work of Christ. Good works or being good is a result or by product of being saved. "You will know them (those that are saved) by their Fruit (good works)

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 10:53 am
RMSHEFF @ 10:41

"t3 , being a "good catholic" won't get you there either."

This is true, BUT I believe that most illegals pratice The Catholic belief more than many Christians !

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 11:01 am
@T3

bbbbut illegals cannot get there ........they don't have the proper ids or green cards....... but they will be allowed in temporarily on a hush-hush basis...... to pick the fruits for the saved......

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:05 am
Bubba

Only card carrying UNION member have 24-7- access. Have you noticed the "deafening silence" from the Labor Unions on immigration!

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:07 am
Has anyone noticed how much b

Has anyone noticed how much b b b Bubba sounds like TechFan !

foster
foster 06/22/13 - 11:09 am
Duffsaid

We have become a society in which we devalue hard work and accomplishment. Why condemn Dr Payne for using the term MD. Could it be you don't respect the fact that he studied and worked hard for at least eight years to earn that title. If he's a specialist he had to study a couple more years. He probably works nights and weekends taking care of patients. I admire every doctor who sacrifices himself for the good of others. When you ride through West Lake do you admire the hard work and sacrifice of the homeowners or do you feel jealously towards them? In America you too can achieve The American dream if you are willing to work hard.

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 11:09 am
so.....

you must be a commie card carrying Union member to get in?

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 11:34 am
I just think its amusing that

Foster, I'm not saying any of those things. I just think its amusing that people feel the need let everyone know their title in life all the time. Like Paul McCartney has been knighted so he comes with the title Sir, but I bet he doesn't refer to himself as Sir Paul McCartney. Like if he wrote a letter I bet he'd just refer to himself as Paul McCartney. Does he have the right to do so? Sure he does, but why do it when it serves no relevance? It just seems boastful when its thrown in so unnecessarily. I think it speaks alot to people's humility when they don't feel the need to throw around certain professional titles in unnecessary circumstances but that's just how I see it.

T3bledsole gets what I'm saying. I admire doctors and p.h.d's and they have worked hard for what they do but so do alot of people. Maybe some of the people who write in are engineers and rocket scientists but we'd never know that because they probably don't feel the need to tell us that unless its relevant to the letter. I'm not talking bad about anyone or looking up or down upon anybody. I'm just stating some obvious observations.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 11:12 am
HA's belief

HA thinks that illegals are criminals. I guess if you must follow the letter of the law, they are criminals.

I say most of them are very good Catholics and very good workers. WE MUST give them credit where is due !!

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 11:16 am
@T3 but.......

those good workers will not get past St. Peter..........

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:19 am
It takes 8 + years of

It takes 8 + years of difficult study to become a MD. I would dare say that 90+ percent of the general population would not be able to complete the required study, so some respect is due however,I see you point , my pastor has a legitimate PHD but usually make no mention of this fact. To many pastors purchase their PHDs by mail and wave it like a flag.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 06/22/13 - 11:19 am
golden rule

t3bledsoe says " if we all believed in Christ and practiced the golden rule, this world WOULD be much better ! Remember Occam's razor?
If we all practiced the golden rule, this world WOULD be much better....

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 11:21 am
b b b bubba @ 11:16

"those good workers will not get past St. Peter.........."

I don't claim to have had read The Bible, but "Faith without works is dead". I truly believe that the kind of work that illegals do and their Catholic works is enough to get them into Heaven !

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 11:22 am
bubba....I think you may

bubba....I think you may finally be catching on ! I am proud of you. If you see the light... you won't feel the HEAT.

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 11:26 am
Most people can't accomplish

Most people can't accomplish alot of things other people do. Granted, some are more difficult than others. I've accomplished things most doctors haven't or wouldn't be able to do and vise versa. That's the beauty of it. We're all meant for different purposes and are good at different things.