Biblical revelation needed

It is with great interest that I read the editorials and letters in The Augusta Chronicle. It is with greater interest that I note the Bible verses that appear daily in The Chronicle. Yet, for all this “goodness,” something is lacking – without a biblical foundation our culture and country is doomed.

Editors of The Chronicle lament the “village” attempt to raise a child which has been disastrous (“So much for the village,” June 9). They call for the resurrection of the family. On what basis is this call? Why are the failures of the village “bad?” If there is no ultimate standard for a moral culture, what difference does it make how children are raised and how they turn out? What difference does anything make?

At this point, I must ask forgiveness of The Chronicle, its readers, and the nation. For the most part, the churches (Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox) have failed both to proclaim and to follow biblical teachings. Degradation in society and in civil government has only come about because Christians and their churches have failed in this mission to preach the whole Gospel, not only of the necessity of conversion but Jesus’ command – “If you love me, keep my commandments” – not just some, but all in the comprehensive manner in which He developed them (lust leads to adultery, anger leads to murder, etc.).

Perhaps what we need is a reversal of God’s normal order. Since Christians and churches are not holding up the biblical standard, The Chronicle should call them to account for their sins that have led to these social evils. But, regardless of who does the calling, without a biblical revelation for individuals, families, society and the state, the people will perish.

Ed Payne, M.D.

Augusta

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 09:07 am
Is the M.D. really relevant? lol

Ok, I know I'm gonna take some heat for this but keep in mind I say it in a light hearted fashion...People like to write letters and put P.H.D or M.D. by their name. I know this is somewhat of a common practice but rarely is it relevant to the topic. I don't see how your expertise in the medical field has anything to do with the content of your letter. Do people really need to know you're a doctor at all time? Just cause you're a doctor doesn't make you more knowledgeable about the bible or government. Ok, so you're educated, we get it. lol
But like, if I was a master chef and I ended my letter with John Doe (master chef) people might say..."Well what does his views on social application of the bible have anything to do with him being a master chef?" Most people would probably feel like that is unnecessary and extraneous information.

I guess If you're a doctor or a P.h.d you can do that and its not suppose to seem pretentious? Ha Ha Seriously though, am I the only one who finds this practice a little narcissistic? lol

b b b bubba
b b b bubba 06/22/13 - 05:44 am
.....

..... we are all going to perish (die) anyway.....
so, what difference does anything make?

soldout
soldout 06/22/13 - 07:30 am
good letter

Good letter Dr. Payne. So very true and needs to be read. Even though the Bible shows us what the end times are like it still isn't enjoyable to see it happening. Through a personal relationship with Christ we can have peace and joy during these times. The Bible says that a thousand may fall at my our side but it won't come near us and in this life we will have trouble but through Christ we overcome the world. Keep writing the good letters and fellow Christians we need save as many as possible out of the hands of the devil. Be a light that others are drawn to and they will be thanking you in heaven. For those who have rejected Christ and the truth of His Word there is still time to make the change. The Bible says some day you will bow your knee and say He is Lord but so much better to do it now and change your eternal destiney.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 06/22/13 - 08:15 am
So you think America would be healthier if we just had

soapy_725
soapy_725 06/22/13 - 08:55 am
The fool hath said in his heart there is no GOD

If the shoe fits.

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 09:06 am
Btw are there any Christians

Btw are there any Christians in Augusta that have anything to say other than stuff like "this country is doomed" and "society is crap?" Lets find some silver lining every once in a while. Why ya'll gotta be so Debbie Downer all the time. lol

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 09:09 am
Nothing wrong with believing in Christ

I am not trying to step on any feet, but if we all believed in Christ and practiced the golden rule, this world WOULD be much better !

foster
foster 06/22/13 - 09:10 am
Paula Deene

Paula Deene makes an offensive remark twenty years ago and she's vilified and fired. Nancy Pelosi praises Planned Parenthood and supports and defends late term abortions and the Catholic Church doesn't remove her from their membership. Which sin is greater offensive speech or supporting death. We American's have to decide what we condemn and what we stay silent about.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 09:13 am
I agree with foster @ 9:10

To be against abortion, The Catholic Church and The Republicans do very, very little to CHANGE THIS !

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 11:36 am
I mean, my point is,

I mean, my point is, every letter written by a professed christian seems to be about all the bad in the world or society. Maybe mix in some positive stuff without having to default to the negatives. I rarely see people write anything positive from this perspective but there are lots of positive things to point out. It just seems most christian folks, for whatever reason, seem to only focus on the negative. At least folks who write into the Augusta Chronicle. Its overwhelmingly negative. Is the glass ever half full???

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 09:26 am
duffstuff @ 9:18

"It just seems most christian folks, for whatever reason, seem to only focus on the negative. At least folks who write into the Augusta Chronicle. Its overwhelmingly negative. Is the glass ever half full???"

I agree with this statement TOTALLY. I sort of feel that some sermons in Church are like this !

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/13 - 09:28 am
"Lets find some silver lining

"Lets find some silver lining every once in a while. " Duff, our silver lining IS Christ.

You talk about doom and gloom after you post 16 lines berating someone for placing a well earn "M.D." beside his name when he has his letters published and you discuss nothing concerning the content of the letter (oh but that's right, you demeaning someone better if you do it light heartedly?

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/13 - 09:30 am
"more shame, guilt, and

"more shame, guilt, and irrational fear in our lives? That's not my idea of freedom."

Jon Lester, what is a shame is that people do not realize that Christianity and Salvation has nothing to do with shame, guilt, or irrational fear. It's called humility, repentance, and respect for a higher power, Almighty God. And once you realize that your life is better controlled by the one who made you, that is true freedom.

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 10:06 am
I was making an amusing point

So there is no good in society as far as you see it ehh? Man I'd hate to walk out the door and have that perception all the time. Btw I was making an amusing point about the MD thing? You gotta at least agree that his "job" or "status" has nothing to do with the content of the letter? That's my point. And it was meant to be both for humorous purposes and to be thought provoking. I don't berate someone for being an MD. I was just asking why is that necessary? You don't think I have any kinda point with that at all?

I don't understand how his professional title is relevant to the article he wrote. Like I could tell people what I do for a living as part of my title but that wouldn't make it any more relevant unless it related to the topic I am writing about. I guess doctors have earned that right though more than the rest of us to make sure everyone knows their professional title at all time. lol jk

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 09:35 am
InChristLove @ 9:30

I believe the you and HA must be related.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 09:37 am
T3

Jesus said that John the Baptist was the "greatest man born of woman" and he preached "repentance" or turning from your sin. I guess you would say he was "overwhelmingly" negative. The problem is that people don't see sin as all that bad. Jesus would disagree because He had to pay the price.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 09:38 am
Doctors and the rest of us

I see nothing wrong with telling others that one is a doctor, BUT they are not super better than the rest of us !

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 09:43 am
RMSHEFF @ 9:37

"The problem is that people don't see sin as all that bad. Jesus would disagree because He had to pay the price."

This is so very true !! I went to a Bible study this past Wednesday, and the speaker stated that one must speak The Word to others before one is a true Christion.

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 11:40 am
there's nothing wrong with

there's nothing wrong with it, don't get me wrong but if I add my title in my letter its considered unnecessary information, but both are equally irrelevant to the topic of conversation. Thats the point I was trying to make.

And btw my beef isn't in talking of sin or what not, my beef is with the fact that alot of these people only want to talk about the the bad in the world but never seem to have a spark to mention any of the good things in the world.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/13 - 09:43 am
Duff, seriously I did not

Duff, seriously I did not find your comments funny in any way and what did your comments have to do with the "content of the letter"? That's my point. Do you think Dr. Payne found your comment humorous? Like I use to tell my children, everything that comes across your head doesn't have to come out your mouth, especially if it isn't nice. (or in this case, in your comment)

J.C.King
J.C.King 06/22/13 - 09:46 am
here is a revelation.....

turn from sin, repent, hand your soul over to GOP.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 09:46 am
duffstuff

You used a age old liberal tactic of trying to discredit the speaker first so that whatever he says from that point forward is not valid.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 09:48 am
J C King

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 09:56 am
It was relevant because of

It was relevant because of the M.D. thing at the end. lol

Seriously though you don't think I have a point about how someone's title is unnecessary information when it has no relevance to the topic in which he or she is writing about? Just like how if I was a chef, it serves equally zero relevance to let everyone know that in a letter about morality and the bible. lol

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 09:51 am
I guess doctors earned their

I guess doctors earned their right to pretentiously throw around their title and I didn't somehow right? lol

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/22/13 - 09:54 am
RMSHEFF @ 9:48

"Go ahead, but you will end up in the same place as unsaved democrats. Hell knows no political affiliation."

Do you think there are more Republicans SAVED in Christ than Democrats ??!

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/22/13 - 09:57 am
What are you talking about

What are you talking about RMSHEFF?? I'm not trying to discredit the guy at all. I'm simply saying what I've been forced to reiterate ten times already, that title is extraneous information when it has zero reference to the topic in which the person is writing about. Try not to read into too much.

Am I crazy for pointing this out?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 09:58 am
If you have the ability to

If you have the ability to become a medical doctor this does speak to a person intellectual abilities to understand difficult and complex material but no, it does not mean when he speaks on other subjects he is necessarily correct but in this case I believe he is. I do have a problem with many who write in and add PHD to the end of their name when their PHD came in the mail after the check cleared the bank.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/13 - 10:01 am
Duff "Seriously though you

Duff "Seriously though you don't think I have a point about how someone's title"........................ Simply put, No I don't.

His first or last name has no reference to the topic either, you want to berate him for using those too? I don't feel Dr. Payne was pretentiously throwing around his title. I imagine he just signed his name to the letter he submitted and the AC posted it as such. I suppose people will find fault with just about anything.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/22/13 - 10:02 am
I have no problem with a

I have no problem with a medical doctor using MD after his name. I don't think this diminishes his letter in any way and is an issue not worth discussion.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...