Writer hits disgusting low

As I read the editorial page once again, I was subjected to the ignorant and archaic views of our God-fearing neighbors.

Under the sanctimonious heading “America is godless nation” (June 15), Richard Hogue proceeds to expound in a letter to the editor upon his hate faith declaring that homosexuality is a moral choice, an affront to God and an insult to Christians. To further bolster his personal beliefs, he states that homosexuals have useless genetic potential and are actively pursuing the indoctrination of America’s youth. Not surprisingly, he goes on to reference Hitler and the Fourth Reich.

The editorial page is not the forum to debate religion, race, personal liberties and basic human rights, so I will not indulge in a debate – much as I’d love to. However, I do not for one moment believe The Augusta Chronicle would print the personal agendas of the Ku Klux Klan, Westboro Baptist Church, the Nazi Party, al-Qaida, etc. (yet what common denominator appears in all the above stated, as well as in Hogue’s letter?).

Ignorance often is humorous, and religion and politics often make for provocative commentary. Prejudice, however, is shameful and unfortunately still thriving in our proud city. One would have hoped that in this day and age that The Chronicle would hold itself to a higher standard.

Perhaps it is deplorable that, as Hogue wrote, our “government sponsors abortions” – just as it’s deplorable that it does not enforce retroactive ones as well.

Carol Simpson

Augusta

Jason Hasty
Jason Hasty 06/20/13 - 06:04 am
What's really amazing is that

What's really amazing is that people will attack Mr. Hogue for his beliefs and claim that they are the ones who are being fair. Once again the double standard raises its predictable head. Now watch the attack on my post even though I have not stated my personal opinion here on the underlying issue.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 06/20/13 - 06:28 am
i do not remember richards

i do not remember richards letter..but i do believe homosexuality is a moral and personal choice, therefore an affront to GOD's created order and moral law...all movements try to justify and recriut new members thru their particular beliefs and indroctrination...whether the nazis, kkk, or move on .org so whats the point...homosexuality is not natural and against common sense and plain wrong..its a shame that those that dont know the proper use of GODS gift and how wonderful that gift is when used properly used , are the first to lecture us on its inproper use!!

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 06/20/13 - 07:01 am
How many heterosexual readers

How many heterosexual readers decided to become heterosexual and work to recruit and indoctrinate people into becoming heterosexual? It never was a conscious decision for me, it was just who I was. I liked girls from the start. Well, as soon as I got old enough to get over the 'Girls are icky and have cooties." stage. Homosexual behavior is found all throughout nature, which by definition makes it natural. It might not fit into some people's religious codes but that's one of the things that makes this a great country. We aren't governed by religion. We're free to believe as we choose, whether it's among a variety of religions, or no religion at all. A person's religion is a guide for that person and that person alone. When he or she starts trying to force it on others, well let's just say we've lost a lot of good service people trying to eliminate that in Afghanistan. It would be a shame if we let the same take hold here.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/13 - 07:23 am
". Homosexual behavior is

". Homosexual behavior is found all throughout nature, which by definition makes it natural. It might not fit into some people's religious codes but that's one of the things that makes this a great country. We aren't governed by religion. We're free to believe as we choose, whether it's among a variety of religions, or no religion at all. A person's religion is a guide for that person and that person alone. "

Murderous behavior is found throughout nature, should we ignore it as natural and deem it acceptable?

Bod, you made a wise statement "We aren't governed by religion. We're free to believe as we choose" With that being said, doesn't Mr. Hogue have the same freedom as we all do. He is free to believe that homosexual behavior is disgusting and immorally wrong according to his religious beliefs. He is free to believe that homosexuals are "useless genetic potential and are actively pursuing the indoctrination of America’s youth". After all this is a free country and he is free to believe or state his opinion and what I find hypocritical is that those who do not believe as he does want to take away his freedom to make those statements and try and force THEIR BELIEF on him.

Ms. Simpson stated "One would have hoped that in this day and age that The Chronicle would hold itself to a higher standard."

Maybe Ms. Simpson should have read "ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. " Letters to the editor are opinions of the individuals who post, so there is no need for AC to raise their standard, I think it's pretty well high and unbiased. There are some days I've read letters that I think are pretty well disgusting but that commentor has a right to their opinion. I may not agree with it and state so, but I'll not try and take the freedom to say it away from them.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/13 - 07:42 am
LOL, Bod, heterosexuals work

LOL, Bod, heterosexuals work to recruit and indoctrinate people into their lifestyle any time they flirt, attempt to woo or engage in sexual attenativeness with someone of the opposite sex.....I suppose much like homosexuals do with members of the same sex.

As for choosing to be hetersexual....it's just my opinion but I believe everyone is born hetersexual and at some point a person chooses to or is influenced by other factors to be homosexual. As for transgender, they just want both sides of the coin. But then that's just my opinion.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 06/20/13 - 08:01 am
ICL

"it's just my opinion but I believe everyone is born hetersexual and at some point a person chooses to or is influenced by other factors to be homosexual." Funny, I've long thought it's the same for people who choose to be religious....

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/13 - 08:14 am
Why you are correct EEL. We

Why you are correct EEL. We are all born sinners and at some point in life we are influenced by the Holy Spirit and made aware of how horrible we are as humans. Not sure what you mean by "religious" but at some point we "choose" to live God's way instead of our way.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 06/20/13 - 08:28 am
hypocrisy?

I am glad that we still have the opportunity to speak freely about our religion and other personal beliefs. However it continually amazes me at how opponents of one side often accuse those they are addressing of being exactly the way they are responding. Ms. Simpson's editorial is critical and judgmental (not opinion but fact), yet that is exactly what she is accusing another of being! To say, "I disagree" is one thing, but to carry it on to the point of criticizing and mocking another for their beliefs while claiming that is your problem with the other person is nothing but pure hypocrisy on the verge of narcissism. Why can't we agree to disagree without being so self righteous?!

gurto
gurto 06/20/13 - 08:36 am
re: InChristLove

going to try blockquotes in this comment so bear with me please

As for choosing to be heterosexual....it's just my opinion but I believe everyone is born heterosexual and at some point a person chooses to or is influenced by other factors to be homosexual. As for transgender, they just want both sides of the coin. But then that's just my opinion.

I believe you'd benefit from some perspective. Have you ever asked a homosexual person how they believe their orientation came to be? Or is this belief that homosexuality is an achieved orientation a derived belief from your faith in God?

I agree. Whether or not homosexual behavior (just clarifying: this means participating in homosexual sex) is natural does not have a bearing on whether or not it is acceptable behavior. And to this end, claiming that it is unnatural or that homosexuality is a derived orientation is useless to the over-all argument that homosexual behavior is immoral.

Nobody is trying to take away Hogue's freedom to make dumb statements about gay people. Nobody is taking Hogue to court for the dumb statements he made about gay people. What people are doing is criticizing him for making dumb statements about gay people.

I hope you are not conflating the theoretical violation of his first amendment right with the fact that he received criticism for the things he said. If that were the case, politicians across the US would have their first amendment rights violated hundreds of times per day by 24-hour news stations.

Let me show you how silly this train of thought is. Are you trying to silence Hogue's opponents? Don't you think it's a little bit hypocritical to take away their freedom to criticize him? Surely this is also a violation of THEIR first amendment rights.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/20/13 - 08:41 am
Free Speech !

The writer thinks that if he is offended by something someone says,they should not allowed to say it. Just imagine if these folks were completely in charge. We would need to build a lot more prisons.

deestafford
deestafford 06/20/13 - 08:41 am
Ain't it funny how the "most tolerate" of the political spectrum

is in reality the least tolerant? Liberals are the most intolerate when they are faced with someone who disagrees with their point of view and want to shut them up. This is continually evident when a conservative tries to speak on a college campus. The left can't argue facts...only emotion.

As to the homosexual agenda goes it is being pushed by Hollywood in TV and movies as something being totally normal. It is also being pushed in our education system all the way from grammar school through college.
No matter how much perfume the left tries to put on this hog, it is still unnatural and abnormal behavior.

It is sad how the government bends over back for the homosexual population, which is about 3% of the population, as well as the Muslims, which are about 1% of the population. Their influence is well beyond their true numbers because of the magaphone the left has in the media and entertainment industries.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/20/13 - 09:01 am
I think the homosexuality is

I think the homosexuality is "natural" is a hilarious argument. So is alcoholism, schizophrenia, pedophilia, and cancer but they aren't considered great phenomena either. There are two aspects of sexuality-the hardwired genetic (having a Y chromosome with SRY gene and later responsive testosterone receptors) determining gender, and psychological sexuality and behaviors. Which is very different hence we see variations like necrophilia, beastiality, pedophilia, transexuality, and homosexuality. Only heterosexual and homosexual (and now transsexual since the 80s) are seen as "normal" (homosexuality only as "normal" since the mid 70s). I personally don't care about peoples sexual preferences as I would hope people would care less about any religious practices I may maintain. I don't think a sexual preference defines a person-if it does then that is pathetic. I find some irony that both Christians and homosexuals tend to be sanctimonious about all of this. So you can argue that pedophilia, necrophilia, beastiality, homosexuality and transexuality are all "natural"-just homosexuality and transexuality are "normal". Seems so circular.

gurto
gurto 06/20/13 - 08:48 am
re: proud2bamerican

"Ms. Simpson's editorial is critical and judgmental (not opinion but fact), yet that is exactly what she is accusing another of being!"

The phenomena you are observing here is called "the paradox of tolerance."

However, I would like to clarify that criticizing a person for his statements is not quite the same as intolerant behavior. Critical thinking and judgment skills are valuable assets when determining what sorts of qualities our society should have. Intolerant behavior can better be defined as enacting legislation against an ideal, committing violence against a person for their stated ideals, or participating in exclusionary social tactics against a person because of their stated ideals.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 06/20/13 - 08:58 am
@ gurto re "intolerance"

It seems to me that "the paradox of tolerance" is simply a way to justify hypocrisy and judgmentalism. I never even stated that anyone was being "intolerant"; "enacting legislation against an ideal, committing violence against a person for their stated ideals, or participating in exclusionary social tactics against a person because of their stated ideals".

allhans
allhans 06/20/13 - 08:59 am
A recent cartoon shows Tim

A recent cartoon shows Tim Tebow in football uniform saying I am a Christian while his coach says to stay quiet about it. The other half has a basketball player by the name of Collins saying I am gay and he is proclaimed a hero....
This is what liberalism is about?

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 06/20/13 - 09:03 am
@gurto - "paradox"

This "paradox of tolerance" hypothesis below is really quite silly in that whomever is using it to label a situation must first 'judge' who is tolerant and who is not tolerant! The subjectivity involved is far from scientific or useful in any way!

("The tolerance paradox arises from a problem that a tolerant person might be antagonistic toward intolerance, hence intolerant of it. The tolerant individual would then be by definition intolerant of intolerance.")

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/20/13 - 09:08 am
"Intolerance" is a part of

"Intolerance" is a part of the natural landscape-from ethnicity, sexuality, gender, age, and socioeconomic status (the demonized 1%ers). I think it is just a reflection of the melting pot of America and the fact we have freedom of speech. So no matter how disgusting I find the Westboro church or a black man saying how he hates "whitey" or the reverse, I like people can say it and express those opinions in a non-violent way. The thought of "hate" crimes is just terrifying. I support both the homosexuals and those who oppose in their right to disagree.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 06/20/13 - 09:21 am
ICL

So we agree, Christianity is a life-style choice. None of is born Christian, or Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, or even atheist. Most members of any religion are born into a family holding that religion, and are raised to believe it. Others, no doubt, are born into religious families but grow either to choose another religion, or are born into irreligious families and chose a religion as they grow older. In my case, I was born into a Christian family but chose non-belief. With religion, or no religion, it's always completely a life-style choice. The same it not true of homosexuals. Whether gays and lesbians choose the so-called homosexual life style, for them it is a matter of choosing either to live out or suppress desires they were born with.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 06/20/13 - 09:25 am
allhans

Tim Tebow's real problem is that he has never proven he can let his football skills speak for him. Most of his difficulties would fade to insignificance if he were anything other than a mediocre player who can't seem to make an NFL roster, at least for very long.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 06/20/13 - 09:28 am
@ EEL

Thank God that most people don't "live out" all the desires they were born with!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/20/13 - 09:47 am
Here we go again. I've stated

Here we go again. I've stated my take on this subject several times so I won't do it again. I've decided to follow the "Christian example" here, only with a slightly different angle. From now on, for me it's "hate the belief, but love the believer".

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/13 - 09:52 am
So true proud2bamerican! EEL,

So true proud2bamerican!

EEL, I followed up with you until you stated "The same it not true of homosexuals. " You have a right to that opinion, mine just differs from yours.

allhans
allhans 06/20/13 - 09:53 am
EEL...I don't think the

EEL...I don't think the cartoon was about skills, but values.

(BTW..I am a Tebow fan, he broke records while in college and that is enough for me..along with his being a pretty decent fellow)

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/20/13 - 10:09 am
Lib

Couldnt shine Tebows shoes -

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 06/20/13 - 10:24 am
Religion and sexuality

You won't change anyone's mind about either. You have the right to believe in whatever you want and other people have the right to believe you are wrong. That's the way it's been since the beginning of time.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/20/13 - 10:26 am
It appears Mrs./Ms.

Simpson's sermon is not as pious as she meant. For example: "government sponsors abortions"--"just as it's deplorable that it does not enforce retroactive ones as well." Now let me see just where Murder stands in the eyes of God. There, I got it. The 10 Commandments. Most "normal" people don't advertize their sexual proclivities. Homosexuals flaunt their exploits. Parades, disorderly gatherings ( Rep. Boehner's office for one), special rules and regulations to curb their being bullied but none to curb their bullying. Gay people, just keep your mouth shut and sit down.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/20/13 - 10:45 am
GnipGnop

True statement....God has to change the heart first and His Spirt will lead us into all truth. In the end one will clearly be wrong and one will clearly be correct!

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/20/13 - 10:45 am
Even if you accept

Even if you accept homosexuality is a sin-so is gluttony (studies indicate Christians have a weight problem), and adultery (divorce rate as high or higher than norm), and fornication. Churches are filled with sinners of this later type. What exactly do Christians want homosexuals to do? I know one homosexual who basically gave up on his faith because of his sexual conflict (still believes but can't deal with the paradox), another who holds his faith and doesn't act on his sexuality. Do Christians want this behavior illegal or people to hide and if so why not clean house with the gluttons and adulterers?" I would hope the churches are filled with homosexuals" would be a Christian mantra since its filled with murderers, adulterers and every other sin you can imagine. I've got my own huge pile of sinful nature to deal with to worry about others sinful nature-and God will deal with all of it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/20/13 - 10:50 am
John Wesley

John Wesley wrote that all human beings are born with a "bent to sinning."

Yep, that's our nature. It doesn't mean it's good. The bent can be changed by the power of the Holy Spirit. Anyone's bent to homosexuality can likewise be changed by the power of the Holy Spirit.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 06/20/13 - 10:51 am
Lilly

And wouldn't. Tebow is praying all the way to the bank.

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.