Why was letter published?

In an epic failure of judgment and character, The Augusta Chronicle published a letter to the editor June 15 (“America is godless nation”) that equated gay people to mules. My objection to the letter’s publishing will undoubtedly brand me a member of Oceania’s Thought Police, but what should be more troubling is that The Chronicle apparently deleted all 84 online comments on the letter sometime Saturday afternoon. Why? Is it because, as one commenter mentioned, The Chronicle would not dare print a letter equating black people to gorillas or Hispanic people to rats, and perhaps its editors realized their error? Did the exposure of their hypocrisy make them uncomfortable?

As the largest publication in the region, The Chronicle is a public forum as well as a public service. It sets the tone and topic of discussion in our community, and I would hope its editors feel that debate can be lively without being slanderous. They obviously don’t, as they have chosen to publish letters that clearly are ignorant and hateful toward gay people. But why stop there? Why not publish letters about how the Holocaust didn’t happen or how women shouldn’t vote? What’s the difference?

Is it because gay people comprise a relatively small fraction of The Chronicle’s readership, and offending them wouldn’t have much impact on revenue? Is it because The Chronicle actually agrees with the letter and is willing to sacrifice a profit to make a point? Why else would any journalistic institution promulgate a hypothesis that people whom we know and love are actually, as the letter hypothesized, members of a vast gay Nazi conspiracy?

In Matthew 6:24, Jesus – who said absolutely nothing about homosexuality, mind you – proclaimed, “Ye cannot serve God and Mammon.” Apparently The Chronicle thinks otherwise.

Andrew Rauch

Evans

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 09:33 am
No one equated homosexuals

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/20/13 - 09:40 am
I suspect

the real reason so many seemed to have a problem with Hogue’s letter, is because:
A - He raised so many accurate points
B - Those disagreeing found the points difficult to dispute
C – The points portrayed homosexuality in a less than flattering light

Just for the record, homosexuals and their supporters are indoctrinating children (and some adults for that matter). You ever notice how pop-culture, the vast majority of time, tend to show homosexuals as trendy urban/suburban yuppies, caring of others, usually with an above average income and intelligence, while showing anyone opposed to their lifestyle as being hateful, shallow, below average intelligence and many times fanatically religious? That IS indoctrination.

gurto
gurto 06/20/13 - 09:45 am
re: Humble Angela

"No one equated homosexuals with mules. They equated THOSE attributes to the same attributes that mules have. Good lord....my 5 year old nephew understands this."

Hogue stated as follows:

"They do not reproduce; they increase only by proselytizing and indoctrination. As far as the genetic pool is concerned, they are useless. They are intelligent, work hard and are successful in their endeavors. So are mules."

What was the point of the comparison?
Mules work hard.
They are more intelligent than their parent species.
They cannot reproduce.

These are the qualities that Hogue attributes to both homosexuals and mules. But why mention mules to begin with? It might be worthwhile to note that, after this statement, he does not seem to pursue the argument against homosexuality from that aspect any longer.

We can conclude that he hoped to finish his statement about homosexuals being "genetically useless" with something vaguely insulting and clever.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 09:44 am
Fred.....apparently those who

Fred.....apparently those who had a problem with the letter are quite fond of claiming that he said something that he didn't....that is why I provided a link to the actual letter, where you can see that not once did he say the homosexuals are mules.....despite the insistence of some.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 06/20/13 - 09:45 am
HA

I sincerely doubt your 5 year old nephew would have any idea what Hogue was talking about. You can spin Hogue all you want, and imply those who disagree with you are young children not as smart as your nephew, but any fair-minded reading of Hogue takes his reference to mules in the context of his blasting of homosexuality as an intentional and offensive slur. And by the way, your Dr. Breiner is a psychiatrist who believes homosexuals should be cured of their disease. 'Nuf said about Dr. Briener.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 09:47 am
In order for me to be

In order for me to be insulted by karradur, I would have to think that his statements have value, and since he is posting completely untrue statements, that is not the case.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 09:49 am
" And by the way, your Dr.

" And by the way, your Dr. Breiner is a psychiatrist who believes homosexuals should be cured of their disease. 'Nuf said about Dr. Briener."

I guess your doctorate in psychiatry is better than his. Such a common tactic of the left....if you have nothing to refute the argument....just dismiss it.

gurto
gurto 06/20/13 - 09:50 am
re: NARTH

"Try this EEL

I hope you don't expect me to click a link from NARTH.

No major mental health professional organization has sanctioned efforts to change sexual orientation and most of them have adopted policy statements cautioning the profession and the public about treatments that purport to change sexual orientation. These include the American Psychiatric Association, American Psychological Association, American Counseling Association, National Association of Social Workers in the USA, Royal College of Psychiatrists, and Australian Psychological Society.

The American Psychological Association and the Royal College of Psychiatrists expressed concerns that the positions espoused by NARTH are not supported by science and create an environment in which prejudice and discrimination can flourish.

Though I expect you are going to cite that a strong liberal bias permeates through these various organizations and influences them to take pro-homosexual stances. I agree.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 09:53 am
"Though I expect you are

"Though I expect you are going to cite that a strong liberal bias permeates through these various organizations and influences them to take pro-homosexual stances."

No...unlike EEL and others....I don't simply attack a source.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/20/13 - 09:55 am
HA

None so blind as he who will not see...Their mind are made up !

Remember...no one can offend you without your permission.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 09:55 am
Exactly, RMSHEFF.

Exactly, RMSHEFF.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/20/13 - 10:08 am
The only religious people I

This entire episode is truly sad indeed. But the good thing is this kind of bigotry is on the wane and people like this will soon be anarchistic relics of a bygone era. Xians are allowed to order à la carte (for themselves and others) from the Abrahamic prohibition menu. It's much more convenient that way.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 10:13 am

Thank you GAD for showing that you also have the right to use demeaning names for those you don't like, such as "anarchistic relics." You clearly demonstrated that the first amendment applies to both sides of this argument.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/20/13 - 10:23 am
GAD

Unbelievers have been predicting this for 2000+ years.

gurto
gurto 06/20/13 - 10:24 am
re: RMSHEFF / re: Humble Angela

"None so blind as he who will not see...Their mind are made up !"

it would be worthwhile to consider, for the sake of respectful discussion, that we are both doing the same thing here.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/20/13 - 10:34 am
GAD

I think your "real fear" is that they might be right because if you were sure they were wrong you would not invest so much time and energy trying to refute and belittle them.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/13 - 10:37 am
"The only religious people I

"The only religious people I fear are the ones who take their religion seriously: the ones who really believe what they say they believe."

Why? As you stated we are on the wane, and stating we pick from a "Abrahamic prohibition menu" just proves you have no idea about what truely is the Christian faith. Your statement that you follow the "Christian example" is such a hypocrisy because you are so blind to the truth.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/20/13 - 10:37 am
gurto

HA proved her point to EEL so well there was nothing left to say but EEL "would not see" Sorry to burst you bubble but sometimes there is clearly winner in the debate.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/20/13 - 10:40 am
ICL

Good points but GAD is trying to convince himself. The TRUTH GOD as placed in each persons heart is giving him no rest.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/13 - 10:43 am
I find it rather hilarious

I find it rather hilarious that gurto would presume someone is not intelligent and a liar, just because they are not offended by an opposing viewers statement of comparrison. It's wonderful that her self esteem is stronger than that.

"I hope you can understand why even an intelligent person would be insulted being compared to a cow. I have a feeling you are not being honest about how you feel being compared to one."

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 10:59 am
"I hope you can understand

Actually, I am quite aware that karradur was trying to provoke me and get me to make a hypocritical statement, but I'm not falling for it.

justthefacts
20230
justthefacts 06/20/13 - 11:16 am
Gosh

Has anyone wondered how the cow feels? Just kiddin HA, but you know that.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 06/20/13 - 11:19 am
People...

...are so occupied with other people's lives, while the WORLD'S GOVERNMENTS are preparing for "something".

Apply the concept of DIVIDE and CONQUER here.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink it"
Preach the Gospel... then let go and let God deal with each of us....in His own LOVING way.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 11:19 am
internationallyunknown, are

internationallyunknown, are you calling me a thirsty horse?

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 06/20/13 - 11:25 am
Judge not.

No Angela, I'm not. I left elementary school a looooooong time ago.

I'm speaking about the posters who are in favor of a lifestyle that is not in agreement with natural, moral, and Godly law. We can't keep beating them with this condemning rhetoric...it's not our place to judge their lives.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 11:29 am
Maybe my sarcasm font wasn't

Maybe my sarcasm font wasn't engaged. Sorry...I was kidding.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/20/13 - 11:34 am
international

and what do you think the world's governments preparing for? You are correct, we are to go into the world and preach the good news which begins with "repent". Some may ask "repent" of what? I don't think you are prepared to engage in calling sin, sin. The gospel always involves someone recognizing his sinfulness otherwise he see no need to be saved from something he is not aware of.

duffstuff
duffstuff 06/20/13 - 11:38 am
One thing we should all be

One thing we should all be able to agree on is that there were some distasteful comments made in the letter. Like the one comparing homosexuals to mules. Anyone with a conscience should at least be willing to admit this was in poor taste.

Being a christian and being a nutty religious zealot are two different things, but it seems too often people make them the same thing.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/20/13 - 11:41 am
dufstuff

No doubt, it could have been said better but that would not change the facts and I don't think those that were critical of the letter would have liked it any better without the "mule" analogy.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/20/13 - 11:53 am
Why was this letter published?

Well...60 posts so far today, and nearly 100 on the original letter, and since advertisers pay by the "hit" on websites, it should be obvious why the letter was published.