New trash pickup is rough

My wife and I knew that this once-a-week pickup for trash, recyclable materials, yard waste and bulk waste would be a joke.

It was normal for one of us to call the nice ladies at Augusta Cares to get problems corrected. Our calls to the Richmond County solid-waste landfill are never answered. The same goes for the haulers who work for our county. They all have voicemail to screen the calls.

The other day was our first scheduled day of the one-day-a-week pickup of all waste. The only thing that was picked up was our recycle bin contents. The household waste bins still lined the streets of Avondale Drive in Montclair subdivision.

I got soaked putting the bins out the night before, because that’s the first thing the county or hauler will ask: Did you have your bin out early? Did you put it out last night or this morning? Both questions look for an excuse for not picking up your waste bin. Well, it was the whole darn block! As far as I could see, it was lined with trash bins!

I reported the hauler to the county last year when I saw workers putting my recycled items into the same truck as my household waste. I go through the trouble to sort and separate recyclable items, then they are tossed into the regular waste truck. Makes sense to me! Saves from sending another truck and paying for fuel and labor. I’d bet they still get paid for picking up both items.

This county needs help!

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 06/18/13 - 06:46 am
Amen! That's all I have to

Amen! That's all I have to say.

robaroo
robaroo 06/18/13 - 06:51 am
Good Service Last Friday

At least for my neighborhood, the service was good last week. The hauler had missed my yard waste in the morning. But someone came by later in the day, saw it, and phoned it in. The yard waste was gone the next time I looked.

My real complaint is with Augusta. The yard waste needs to be picked up on Monday's or Tuesday's. Most people do yard work on the weekend, so it sits on the street and maybe gets wet until the haulers pick it up.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/18/13 - 11:03 am
"trash, recyclable materials,

"trash, recyclable materials, yard waste and bulk waste would be a joke."

What did you expect. It's an Augusta "city" government contract operation. You pay the bill whether you get the service or not.

"call the nice ladies at Augusta Cares to get problems corrected"

That was when the entire office was a couple of nice ladies doing a pretty good job. Now it's a full blown "City" of Augusta typical municipal government employee run operation. What did you expect would happen when they put one of their ingrained, entrenched, employees in charge instead of the lady who has been doing a great job for years and years. If you want something screwed up, make it a big costly program and put a "City" of Augusta manager in charge of it.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/18/13 - 06:13 pm
Change! You guys who have problems should be a little

patient as the service is tweeked and tuned. When you got a new job in the past were you at 100% the first day? No! Give 'em a chance!

Fiat_Lux
19390
Fiat_Lux 06/18/13 - 04:20 pm
Household trash on Avondale Drive

got picked up on Saturday morning, only one day late. Montclair had it very good compared to most places.

Now, if the drivers could just manage to put the trash bins back on the curb instead of leaving them out in the street, we might be able to have two-way traffic once again.

Darby
Darby 06/19/13 - 05:28 pm
Am I the only one having this problem...???

Because they only pick up once a week, I'm having to really pack the large can. Then when they use the robotic arm to pick it up, no one notices that about a third of the contents remains jammed inside when the can is set back down on the curb.

What's up with that?

Fiat_Lux
19390
Fiat_Lux 06/19/13 - 06:37 pm
Darby

Why should they care? Nobody seems to care about that where they work, and nobody comes to clean it up if you call and complain. If they do a crappy job, well, it's up to you to clean up after them or get a ticket from the city.

Darby