Liberty is snatched away

Is there a connection between South Carolina’s U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham’s Verizon phone and forced vaccinations? It makes an interesting conversation.

So many people are furious over recent knowledge of the government’s intrusion into calls being made by Verizon users. Graham told us he’s not concerned because he’s not a terrorist. Well, I’m not a terrorist, but I am very concerned.

I’m not a constitutional attorney, either, but I do know that the U.S. Constitution guarantees its citizens certain rights, such as the right of privacy, the freedom of religion and the freedom of choice for medical treatments.

Ever since 9/11, the passing of the Patriot Act by Congress and its extension in 2011, the government has taken the opportunity to further impinge upon our constitutional rights. The excuse is always “protecting us from terrorists.” This has gone way too far. Every member of Congress who signed the Patriot Act should be held accountable.

Mandated, forced vaccines present a similar dilemma. Americans have the right to religious freedom, and all but two states allow for a religious exemption to vaccines. We also have the freedom to decide what drugs we allow to be injected into our bodies and those of our children.

Yet, pharmaceutical companies are churning out new vaccines faster than one can say, “Enough already.” Their goal and the government’s seems to be to make more vaccines for more people and then restricting our right to say “no.”

Vaccine bills are turning up in every state in this country. Some states have made it mandatory for children to present a doctor’s permission slip, besides their other exemption, to avoid vaccines. In New York, there’s a legislative bill calling for children to be allowed to be vaccinated for sexually transmitted diseases without a parent’s consent. The majority of state legislative bills limit our choices.

We need more conversation about wireless phones and vaccine rights, and we need action. We need action from every American who opposes government limitations of our constitutional liberties.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/18/13 - 11:28 am
I have no problem with folks

They have no more right to expose me or my grandkids to whopping cough and a dozen other diseases unnecessarily than I have to blow cigarette smoke in their face every day.

They should exercise their right to not get their kids vaccinated and we should exercise our right to bar their kids from public schools until they do get vaccinated. They do not have the right to spread deadly, preventable, diseases in our schools anymore than I have the right to go sit in the classroom and smoke cigarettes all day.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 11:53 am
I am totally against forcing

amdachel
amdachel 06/18/13 - 11:46 am
In February, 2013, Leslie

In February, 2013, Leslie Manookian, producer of the film, The Greater Good, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulmEGbwQsOU wrote this piece about the move to create state vaccine registries in a number of states. http://www.greatergoodmovie.org/news-views/vaccine-exemptions-and-vaccin...

Manookian: "At first blush, this type of information gathering might seem relatively benign, but is it so in practice? Is there not genuine potential for abuse and what are the ramifications if we allow this type of information gathering? It is not clear what is driving all this legislative activity or what might have spurred a rethink of existing state laws especially as these vaccine exemption laws have been on the books for many, many years, if not decades. It is noteworthy that all these states have something in common: they either lead the nation in rates of vaccine exemptions or they lead the nation for having experienced the largest increase in rates of vaccine exemptions in recent years."

Maurine Meleck's concern about the government's intrusion into our vaccination rights is valid. It's happening across the country.

Anne Dachel, Media editor: Age of Autism

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/18/13 - 11:55 am
Dichotomy at 11:28

"I have no problem with folks who don't want themselves or their children vaccinated. As long as they keep to themselves and keep their little Petri dish disease incubators out of our schools. They may have the right to not get vaccinated but they do not have the right to expose our children and our seniors to diseases that we thought were eradicated decades ago."

I believe that I agree with almost all of this statement. The controvercy seems to be this on-going fear that vaccines can cause irreparable disorders in children. I can't say that I wholey disagree with this theory. I guess the bottom line must be that vaccines keep people from getting these disceases in the first place.

NOW, let us hear from The Tea Party Members !

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/18/13 - 12:04 pm
HA, we are perhaps worse that a married couple !

"As for the statement. "Liberals are the ones that are educated !" What on Earth are you basing that on? Are you saying that I am not?"

1.) To quote an old western TV show, "NO BRAG, JUST FACT" about us libs. being educated. OF COURSE there exists educated conservatives and you diffinately qualify !

2.) I don't think your view about vaccines is going to fly !

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 12:07 pm
" I don't think your view

" I don't think your view about vaccines is going to fly !" What's wrong with my view? Where is the flaw in logic?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 12:08 pm
"OF COURSE there exists

"OF COURSE there exists educated conservatives and you diffinately [sic] qualify !"

I'm overwhelmed at the irony of this statement.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/18/13 - 12:11 pm
Taking a quote from your play book.

"What's wrong with my view? Where is the flaw in logic?"

I am going to take a play from your play book. PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY you are against mandatory vaccines ??

karradur
karradur 06/18/13 - 12:11 pm
...

Just like we shouldn't force the guy with tuberculosis to get treatment, right?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/18/13 - 12:16 pm
You really have your act togather today !

"

I'm overwhelmed at the irony of this statement."

Where is the PROOF that one who can not spell is not educated ??!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/18/13 - 12:20 pm
Back later

GTG. Try to be back later.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 12:25 pm
I am against mandatory

I am against mandatory vaccines because you are forcing someone to take medications that they don't want. And NO...you shouldn't force ANYONE to get treatment if they don't want it. My body, my choice....or does that only apply to abortion?

Where is proof that one who is conservative is not educated? touche.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 12:50 pm
"Where is the PROOF that one

"Where is the PROOF that one who can not spell is not educated ??!!"

Well....I guess there certainly is proof that they were not educated in spelling. And by educated, I mean that they actually learned the subject matter being taught.

Ms.Anthrope
Ms.Anthrope 06/18/13 - 01:17 pm
I bet...

I bet that those who are against mandatory vaccines are also in favor of mandatory intravaginal ultrasound procedures being required before a female can get an abortion.....

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/18/13 - 01:28 pm
T3

Take a very long lunch hahah

burninater
burninater 06/18/13 - 02:48 pm
Learn the facts about vaccinations please

HA said, "I am totally against forcing someone to be vaccinated. And why keep them away from people? If the people who are concerned are vaccinated, then what do they have to fear? Only those who chose to not get vaccinated are at risk. The only people they are spreading their deadly diseases to are the people who aren't vaccinated.

-----
HA, at least on the issue of vaccinations, you are uneducated. Vaccines do NOT confer 100% immunity. They greatly lower rates of infection, but they are not 100% effective. Disease rates are severely lowered in the general population when EVERYONE has a greatly lowered infection rate due to vaccination. However, when some refuse to vaccinate, they increase exposure rates to those who are vaccinated, which in turn increases the chance that even a vaccinated individual becomes infected with a potentially deadly disease.

In addition, infectious agents evolve immunity to treatment. If you remove a disease host by immunizing an entire population, you can eradicate the infectious agent. If you maintain an incubating population that is being treated with antibiotics, you provide the pathogen with the means not only to persist, but to develop resistance to antibodies.

I'm with dichotomy on this one. You don't want to be vaccinated? Fine. But don't expect that those who have taken the responsibility upon themselves to prevent deadly disease in our society will allow you equal access, and don't expect the courts to uphold that equal access is guaranteed. Ignorance is not yet covered by the Disabilities Act -- noone is Constitutionally required to accommodate it.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 02:01 pm
Very well, Burn....I also

burninater
burninater 06/18/13 - 02:12 pm
Most of us misunderstand

Most of us misunderstand vaccine effectiveness, HA. I was uneducated on vaccine effectiveness until just a couple of years ago, and I'm scientifically trained (but not specifically in medicine). I had the same opinion you did -- they're only hurting themselves, so it's nobody else's business. Once I learned about actual vaccine effectiveness, and then connected that to the potential for reservoirs of antibiotic-resistant pathogens, it became pretty clear that vaccine refusal by some puts all of us at serious risk.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 02:16 pm
I do find it odd that someone

I do find it odd that someone feels they have to give me a thumbs down for admitting being wrong. I just don't get some people.

Ms.Anthrope
Ms.Anthrope 06/18/13 - 02:18 pm
welcome to my world

no matter what I post.... I always get at least one thumbs down.... and usually more

burninater
burninater 06/18/13 - 02:48 pm
I often get thumbs downed

I often get thumbs downed when I base opinions in clear fact, or if I change a position when I discover I was wrong about an assumption. Some people just don't like that there is an objective reality that often contradicts our fancy, or that people are willing to adjust their position to accommodate new understanding.

Of course, the thumbs down may have nothing to do with any of that, who knows ...

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 02:54 pm
I'm sure there are people

I'm sure there are people here who just don't like me too.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/18/13 - 03:14 pm
Second time in months !

"Very well, Burn....I also concur. I have no problem changing my POV if I'm wrong."

SOOO, Burninater's extencive explanation changed your POV. I think Burninater nailed it for reasons to get vaccinated !

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 03:16 pm
Yeah......if you present

Yeah......if you present facts, I have no problem accepting them.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/18/13 - 03:22 pm
HA, let me assure you...

"I'm sure there are people here who just don't like me too."

I like you as a poster, as a person, and an opposition commenter that usually knows her stuff !!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 03:25 pm
Thanks.

Thanks.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/18/13 - 03:35 pm
OK, let's talk about something else

gun control, religion, politics, BIG BROTHER listening into phone calls, how Obama is just fallowing in Bush's foot-steps, how Obama is doing a GREAT JOB, or the 5 scandles in Washington, DC.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/18/13 - 03:40 pm
Slow down there, Babalouie.

Slow down there, Babalouie. :-)

Ms.Anthrope
Ms.Anthrope 06/18/13 - 03:41 pm
t3 .... how about?

how about the topics in my post at 10:13am ?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/18/13 - 03:42 pm
A new picture HA

You probably didn't think was going to realize it !!

WISH I looked good enough to post my picture ! The old saying, "If you got it........" you know the rest.