Senior shoppers neglected

As a senior citizen who suffers from breathing problems, I find it necessary to use the battery-powered carts at various Augusta-area retail stores. I must say that I am deeply disappointed in this wonderful service.

Of all the stores I shop there are two that stand out for poor quality of carts. I was at a discount department store on Bobby Jones Expressway and waited at the entrance for 30 minutes for a cart to return. I contacted the assistant manager, who was very curt and short when I asked about the number of carts and other questions.

A retailer on Robert C. Daniel Parkway is horrible. You are lucky if you can travel any distance.

I have been to these stores first thing in the morning, when carts should be fully charged, but to no avail. Their carts are terrible. Even one of the warehouse clubs leaves something to be desired.

Most of the grocery stores are outstanding with their carts and customer service, especially Publix.

Augusta is consistently listed as a great place to retire. As long as stores do not provide for the ever-growing number of retirees, then we’ll move elsewhere.

Seniors, complain. Write letters to corporate offices and the local stores. We have a lot of money to spend with the stores that care.

Mike Booth

Augusta

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/13/13 - 04:00 am
I'm sorry about your medical

I'm sorry about your medical problems, but the stores furnish the carts as a courtesy. They are not required to provide these things.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/13/13 - 06:34 am
Personal responsibility.

Battery powered carts are available to purchase if you need one. As a matter of fact they are covered by most insurance policies. If you know you are going to need one regularly, step up to the plate and buy your own.

Bulldog
Bulldog 06/13/13 - 08:15 am
The stores don't own you anything!

If your complaints actually had any merit, every store in town would have the newest electric carts available. Take a little personal responsibility and get your own cart! Stop whining!

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/13/13 - 08:41 am
Get your own cart

And take it with you.
And, no, Obama is not going to buy you one.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/13/13 - 08:45 am
Dixieman......are you sure he

Dixieman......are you sure he won't buy them?

Darby
Darby 06/13/13 - 10:37 am
HA - "Dixieman......are you sure he won't

buy them?"

Probably not, unless you can get one with an EBT card.

Maybe he'll loan you one of his many golf carts when he's not on the links.

Oops, that means you could only use it about fifteen minutes at a time.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/13/13 - 11:30 am
If you're over 65 and on

If you're over 65 and on medi-care AND if you get a doctors certification stating that you really can't walk, medi-care will pay some or all of the price for a cart. While we're on the subject, am I the only one who has noticed an ever increasing number of people who use these carts? A lot of these aren't even elderly. I'm just wondering if something happened in our country several years ago. There seems to an ever growing group of people who believe that once a person turns 50, you now have the god given right to not ever walk another step again. However, I do support the use of these carts by those who really need them. I'm just a little suspicious of some of those other folks, that's all.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/13/13 - 11:32 am
Seems like MOST of the people

Seems like MOST of the people using the carts could stand to do a little walking.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/13/13 - 11:56 am
Angela, here's an example of

Angela, here's an example of a guy scamming the system:

karradur
karradur 06/13/13 - 12:31 pm
Amazingly, for the second time...

...I agree with every single commentor so far.

If I, God forbid, were ever to have any kind of physical disability, I would certainly expect people to be patient, but not to provide free equipment for my use because I inexplicably didn't bring my own.

I used to work at a grocery store, and anyone that actually needed a motorized cart (and believe me, most of them could have probably used the exercise) brought their own.

KSL
KSL 06/13/13 - 09:06 pm
Actually the iwriter stated

Actually the iwriter stated he had plenty of money to spend. So what happened in his mind to taking care of himself?

He implied, but did not say he moved to GA to retire. I don't trust a word he says at this point.

If he has all that money to spend, go ahead and spend a little on his convenience.

KSL
KSL 06/13/13 - 09:32 pm
karadur

Thanks. The most frequent use seemc to be middle aged overweight black ladies followed by white females. Then some impaired eldey males. Last, black males. What is with this?

What is with the oerweight people. Oh , and the white males were not overweight.

None, that would be none, of my black friends my are my age are overweight.

But then they are extremely intelligent, rised right, no different from white families at the time, by families who were not programmed to look for handouts. I respect and love them.

KSL
KSL 06/13/13 - 09:19 pm
karadur

None, that would be none, of my black friends my are my age are overweight.

KSL
KSL 06/13/13 - 09:21 pm
Certaimly not a scientific study

Just an intelligent observation.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen