Let Bible navigate nation

Sometime in November 1945, our ship, the S.S. Mooring Knot docked in Sasebo, Japan. We were among the first American ships in Japan after it surrendered. Our captain had never been there before, but was able to bring the ship directly into port without sailing along the coast looking for the entrance. He navigated by the charts and the shooting of the sun and the stars.

At one time the Bible was the navigational system we used in America to direct our thinking and, with prayer, make our decisions! It was the foundation upon which our nation was built. All our basic laws came from the Ten Commandments! Take for example the one that says we are not to lie! Think what a difference that would make in our society if we all obeyed that law. How about it if our government did, too?

One cannot tour our nation’s capital and learn its history without being overwhelmed by the evidence that this nation was founded upon the word of God. Yet there are those on the left who despise this history and seek to change it. They have been largely successful, and as America has moved away from the Bible we have noted the results in our daily news.

The Bible is not a book filled with mistakes as the critics would have you believe. Yes, it has been translated many times – never to change its text, but to enlighten and give understanding to those of different languages and cultures so they may know God’s truth! After all, the Bible dates back 6,000 years of history written in the Hebrew and Greek languages. How many people read Greek?

What would America, the land of the once-free, be like if we could again moor the ship of state to the book it was once founded upon?

Herenow2say
Herenow2say 06/11/13 - 12:28 am
Is there a paucity of

specsta
specsta 06/11/13 - 03:29 am
No Lying???

Gil Ward wrote: "Take for example the one that says we are not to lie! Think what a difference that would make in our society if we all obeyed that law."

Hmmm...

- no more Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, tooth fairy - resulting in little children with their fantasy lives smashed into smithereens

- no husband would be safe from being clobbered over the head with a frying pan when the wife asks " does this dress make me look fat?"

- no more wives faking it in the bedroom

- no more "sick days" off from work unless you're really sick

- no more "everyone's a winner" in schools, thereby letting the clumsy, non-athletic kids fend for themselves in competitions

- no more breast augmentation, butt implants, lip plumping, colored contact lenses, fake hair, fake nails, or tanning booths

- no more covering up for crazy people in your family

- no more preachers raising money for the never-built "building fund"

- no more military recruiters

and the list goes on...

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/13 - 06:12 am
"Is there a paucity of

"Is there a paucity of submissions that this guy gets so much press? Not only is this a bizarre perspective out-of date since we discovered the earth was round, it's not even a coherent argument. Seriously, do you guys not get any letters or have you singled this guy out? I would really like to know."

Mr. Ward gets no more press than anyone else who wishes to submit letters to the editor on a frequent basis, and I suppose it is only a bizarre out-of-date perspective if you don't believe in the Word of God. As for coherent argument, I do believe Mr. Ward isn't looking for an argument, just stating his opinion which is the purpose for the letter to the editor.

Why do people have issue with this. If you don't agree with the letter writers viewpoint, state your difference of opinion, but why the need to demean the letter writer.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/13 - 06:26 am
Specsta.... Hmmm... - no more

Specsta....

Hmmm...

Well I suppose if children never knew about Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy then their fantasy lives would never be smashed now would it.

If you know you're going to hear the truth and can't handle it, then don't ask the question.

- no more wives faking it in the bedroom

If some husband knew what they were doing wives wouldn't need to fake it in the bedroom

- no more "sick days" off from work unless you're really sick

Define the word "sick", there are many ways/levels of being sick.

Everyone is not a winner but compassion overrides the need for letting the clumsy, non-athletic kid fend for him/herself.

In some cases this would be a good thing. Why can't we be happy with the body God gave us?

- no more covering up for crazy people in your family

Have no clue how this pertains to lying but I suppose you know what you're talking about.....is is from experience?

- no more preachers raising money for the never-built "building fund"

Don't know how many you know out there, I'd venture to say less than a handful, but yes, I'd say this would be a good thing.

- no more military recruiters

I may be wrong, never been to one, but I seriously doubt if ALL of them lie.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 06/11/13 - 07:29 am
Other than our laws weren't

Other than our laws weren't based on the 10 Commandments and the Bible is way off on history and science, well that's enough. I'll stick to wearing my bamboo/cotton blends and eating shrimp and crab. I'm not much in to stoning folks and don't much care for folks who think it's a good idea. We're darned lucky our forefathers had the sense to form a secular government and a nation that allowed everyone to freely choose her or her own religion. If Gil want to follow the Bible, great, but that is not the law of the land, that's just Gil's choice of religion.
"no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

deestafford
deestafford 06/11/13 - 07:46 am
Liberals dislike, mock the Bible, and hold it in distain

because it contains absolutes and they can't stand absolutes. To them everything is relative and cannot be judged by a standard. One culture is just as good as another and should be accepted. One behavior is just as normal as another and should be accepted. One country is just as good as another and as a result the US is not exceptionally. One opinion is just as good as another and should be accepted (unless it's different from that of a liberal and then it must be shouted down).

This relativism started with Woodrow Wilson as the progressives began to apply Darwinism to the world and see everything as relative rather than the absolutes of the Bible which in turn gave to the philosophy of the Constitution being a living document and its interpretation should be relative to the times in which one lives. That philosophy continues today.

justthefacts
20510
justthefacts 06/11/13 - 08:04 am
Herenow

letters@augustachronicle.com
There you go. Knock yourself out.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 06/11/13 - 08:04 am
I often wonder why God made

I often wonder why God made lying and stealing two seperate Commandments. Any more, you never see one without the other. To steal something and then lie about it is fairly common. Just ask Obama. To lie is also stealing, because you are deceiving someone for personal gain.

Judas betrayed Jesus for 7 pieces of silver. The Boy Scout excecutives sold out their moral values for additional funding. The Bible is timeless, and contains many lessons which are very relavent today! One just has to remove their blinders.

The BSA came under attack and was defeated by evil forces. An American institution that stood for over 100 years was changed forever. What will we do when our churches come under attack?

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 06/11/13 - 08:10 am
I don't exactly see how

I don't exactly see how questioning why Gil gets almost monthly publication and his somewhat "unique" take on things as demeaning him. If someone doesn't expect anyone to question his views or comments, he shouldn't write a letter to the editor in the first place. I know the Chronicle only has a daily circulation in the 50,000 range (2012 print + digital added, I don't know if any of those overlap and shouldn't be added, that's just the way it's shown) but there are a handful of people that get printed on a routine basis and they do tend to be the ones on the fringes of positions, both left and right. I do have to say for a letter that has a religious bent, for the life of me I can't find the commandment against lying. Bearing false witness against your neighbor, yep. Lying in general, nope. So I can't say Mr. Jones next door stole my sheep if he didn't, but I can say my sheep is 10 feet tall.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 06/11/13 - 08:27 am
I don't dislike the Bible,

I don't dislike the Bible, nor do I mock it. Saying it's not an accurate history or science book is not mocking, it's stating a fact. There are some very good lessons to be learned in the Bible, mostly in the Gospels. The problem is, many modern day "Christians" ignore these lessons and cherry pick verses that suit their political views from other parts of the Old Testament or the writings of Paul. No matter where the lessons come from, they are not the law or the guiding principles of this nation. That right solely belongs to the Constitution, not the Bible, not the Articles of Confederation, not the Declaration of Independence, not anything else. The founders formed a secular nation and rebelled against a nation that had a national religion. They were wise to do so. They believed in freedom. A nation under the thumb of any religion isn't free. We have the choice to be Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Wiccan, nothing, or you name it. That's what freedom means.

deestafford
deestafford 06/11/13 - 08:39 am
Bod

Give some specific scientific and historical facts that the Bible gets wrong.

As to the Founders not using the Bible, where do you think the phrase, "endowed by their Creator" comes from. Our Founders were religious men. John Adams said the Constitution was for a just and religious people. Notice how liberals want to take all vestiges of religion out of public life. It is even starting to be punishable in the military for following one's religious tenants.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 06/11/13 - 08:46 am
42 Principals of Ma'at.

These came 2000 plus years before the commandments....notice any similarities???

1. I will not do wrong.

2. I will not commit armed robbery.

3. I will not steal in general.

4. I will not kill another human.

5. I will not unjustly hold back the light.

6. I will not lessen my sacred service to Ntr. (the Most High, Creator, etc.)

7. I will not take the things that belong to Ntr.

8. I will not tell or listen to lies.

9. I will not waste food.

10. I will not pity myself so deeply that I speak wrongly of others.

11. I will not be controlled by sexual desire or action.

12. I will not be the cause of sadness and tears to anyone.

13. I will not disguise the true intentions of my heart's motives.

14. I will not transgress the law (Maat).

15. I will not act with hidden motives.

16. I will not take the property that another person has worked for.

17. I will not discuss the sexual secrets of others that I have overheard.

18. I will not sue another person falsely.

19. I will not step out of Maat and into anger against anyone.

20. I will not take another person's mate.*

21. I will not take another person's mate.*

22. I will not use my sexual strength incorrectly.

23. I will not be a terrorist against anyone.

24. I will not step out against, or cause the natural elements of earth to be polluted.

24. I will not let my temper control or consume me.

26. I will not be deaf to Maat (right/true speech).

27. I will not use words that curse and cause grief.

28. I will not start an argument or bring it to violence (mentally or physically).

29. I will not start trouble or cause strife.

30. I will not pre-judge in my heart.

31. I will not be controlled or seduced by sexual secrets I have heard.

32. I will not speak unnecessarily or loudly.

33. I will not do wrong, or continue to do wrong because others have wronged me.

34. I will not plot against those in current authority.

35. I will not waste water, or use it for selfish reasons.

36. I will not raise my voice arrogantly.

37. I will not curse Ntr (the Most High) or an Ntru (guardian, angel, Divine aspect, etc.)

38. I will not praise wrong doings or produce those who do.

39. I will not take what belongs to the Ntru.

40. I will not steal from the sacred deceased.

41. I will not offend any child or the divinity of my area.

42. I will not offend the divinity of animals.

* note that #'s 20 and 21 are stated twice intentionally.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/13 - 09:10 am
internationallyunknown.....wh

internationallyunknown.....what is important isn't when but by whom. Big difference.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/11/13 - 09:17 am
Bod says "I don't dislike the

Bod says "I don't dislike the Bible". Thanks I needed a good laugh !

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 06/11/13 - 09:23 am
The point...

...the similarities...the Ten Commandments are a watered down version...the Bible could be considered a watered down version of TRUE spirituality... not religion.

Until we seek true TRUTH, we will never be whole.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/11/13 - 09:26 am
The purpose of the Bible is

The purpose of the Bible is introduce you to the God that is . The purpose of the law is to show you how good you "can't" be. This leads you to the Gospel or Good news. Bod, I would like an example of the errors in the Bible.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/13 - 09:28 am
Bod, so glad you like wearing

Bod, so glad you like wearing bamboo/cotton blends and who doesn't like shrimp and crab. According to scripture we all can enjoy those same things too. I beg to differ, but if you know someone who likes stoning folks, I'd say you need a new set of friends. Seems like you are behind the times. Stoning folks went out with the old covenant.

As for lying....Bod, bearing false witness against your neighbor....is lying. Your limited concept of what the biblical meaning of neighbor is what seems to be your issue. In the context of scripture, neighbor means anyone you have dealings with, andyone you meet. It could be an actual neighbor, someone at the market, someone you meet on the road or at the office. So if you bear false witness, you are lying. It is wrong to say your neighbor stole your sheep as well as saying it is 10 ft tall.

I seriously find your comment hilarious "I don't dislike the Bible, nor do I mock it". May take me a while but I do believe I can come up with some past comments to denouce this statement.

soldout
soldout 06/11/13 - 09:32 am
what i expect

the reactions to this very excellent letter is what you expect from people who are mostly lost and don't have a relationship with Jesus. The Bible is the most accurate book around in all it's facts and is proved so more and more. It stated the earth was round when man thought it was flat. It is the reality you can depend on instead of the world that changes it's mind on things everytime a new wind blows. When it says something is sin you can be sure it will cause you a problem and destroy your life if you engage in it. Why not choose the better way and have Jesus as your leader , your savor and the Holy Spirit directing your walk down the path of life. When you accept Jesus you have the Holy Spirit living in you that knows all things and will lead you into all truth. That is freedom, joy and a satisfaction with life that the world and it's ways will never give you. The Bible is reality along with heaven and hell and you need to deal with that and not what you think as you try to fill your life with stuff, sin, noise and and not deal with reality. Jesus will not let you down and the devil will always take you back but I don't think you will ever find anything that satisfies like Jesus and the truth of His Word.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/13 - 09:33 am
IU "The point... new ...the

IU "The point... new

Until we seek true TRUTH, we will never be whole."

The God of this universe doesn't "water down" anything and TRUE spirituality comes from Him who made everything. He stated "I am the Way, the TRUTH, and the Life" and it's only through Him you can be whole.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/13 - 09:42 am
Odd that the 42 Principals of

Odd that the 42 Principals of Ma'at comes from the "Book of the Dead" where as following the 10 Commandments helps lead you to the "Book of Life".

Things that make you go hmmmmm.......

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 06/11/13 - 09:55 am
Good letter from Mr. Ward

It was good to read Mr. Ward's letter this morning. I'm grateful that he wrote it and that the Chronicle published it, free of charge. It's a blessing when opinions based on the Bible aren't censored from the public arena. A fair hearing is the most we Christians can ask.

As for the 42 Principals of Ma'at, they certainly include some similarities to the Ten Commandments, but their early date doesn't prove that the Ten Commandments were borrowed from them. The Ten Commandments already existed although they hadn't been arranged in that form.

This is why Noah, for instance, was described as blameless before the flood while the whole earth was described as corrupt and filled with violence (Gen. 6:9, 11). It's also why Abraham expected God, the Judge of all the earth, to do what is just (Gen. 18:25), and why God later said, "... Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws" (Gen. 26:5).

God punished the rebels at the Tower of Babel by changing their language from mankind's original tongue to many tongues. At the same time, he let those who had not rebelled keep their original language so that they still had access to written records of his earlier revelations. The Principals of Ma'at, which include belief in the divinity of animals (Principal 42), show signs of corruption and confusion from God's judgment at Babel.

faithson
faithson 06/11/13 - 09:54 am
moor the ship of state to the book

It is those who we elect and give responsibility to that should 'moor their ship's to the book', not the government itself. A primary and essential question of government was addressed when the founding fathers 'de-moored' the ship of state from any organized religion, period. This wise decsion has given the world the first real government that separates church and state, a division that gives every american a freedom not known in the annuls of history. It is the responsibility that comes with this freedom that is so sorley lacking in the men of state who find money above principle. Man can serve only one master... and what we see so many times in our day is not the master who gives wisdom to its adherents, but the selfish ambition of men who desire to sit in the seat of power, for power's sake.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/11/13 - 10:03 am
Bod, I See.

I guess it is time we took out the words "So Help Me God" any time someone take an oath, like being made president.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 06/11/13 - 10:08 am
Are there any other spiritual

Are there any other spiritual texts that have similar situations and similar stories as the Bible?

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 06/11/13 - 10:16 am
Faithson, our founding

Faithson, our founding fathers wisely chose not to have a national church. They knew that a national church would lead to religious wars like the conflicts in Europe, where leaders and members of national churches enjoyed privileges that other people lacked. Where there's no political or material advantage to belonging to one church or another, religious wars cease.

Thanks to religious freedom, our nation has not suffered religious violence until recently, when some adherents of Islam seeking supremacy started using terrorism here.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 06/11/13 - 10:20 am
ICL

Kemet = Egypt.....Egypt is where civilization began...mathematics, science, universities...etc. Something must be right about it.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 06/11/13 - 10:22 am
IU, you ask if other

IU, you ask if other spiritual texts have stories similar to biblical ones. There are a lot of legends about a universal flood.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/11/13 - 10:23 am
Funny Christians have

Funny Christians have mindblindness against homosexuals and progressives have mindblindness against Christians. So circular. I wager most who attack the Bible have never read it-just like Christians who have never read an evolution book. The Ten Commandments are Old Testament-Christ raised the bar on all those a couple thousand years ago. Where have y'all been?

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/11/13 - 10:29 am
Most evolutionary biologist

Most evolutionary biologist agree that religions evolved to promote pro-social behaviors and altruism. I think that is a good thing.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/11/13 - 10:31 am
Egypt isn't where

Egypt isn't where civilization begun-it's Mesopotamia (Sub-Sahara Africa).