No grounds to be offended

Pro golfers Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia are engaged in a public feud of words. Recently, Sergio launched a “fried chicken” comment at Tiger. Tiger claimed foul. However, his claim is disingenuous. How can Garcia’s fried chicken statement be offensive to Tiger Woods?

First, Tiger publicly stated that South Park was one of his favorite TV programs. South Park is a racially, sexually and morally offensive program. Why is South Park not offensive to Woods?

Second, while married, Tiger had multiple adulterous affairs. Why was adultery not offensive to Woods?

Third, during golf tournaments, Tiger routinely has unleashed profanity-laden outbursts in the presence of underage spectators. Why is cursing not offensive to Woods?

Therefore, in the case of Garcia’s fried chicken comment, it appears Tiger use of the “victim of racism” card is not legitimate.

I like Tiger Woods. I believe he is the greatest golfer to have ever played the game. But, like all humans in the 21st century, Tiger is only offended when it is to his advantage.

Kevin Palmer

Martinez

Comments (13)

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/04/13 - 05:10 am

"Life is tough, Serena. Get a helmet."

Nobody has a right to go through life without ever being offended. Get over it.
This does NOT excuse dumb, racist remarks - my opinion of the speaker is lowered. But the correct response is to ignore the remarks and get on with your life, not whine about it for weeks and months on end.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 06/04/13 - 06:17 am

TIGER is always favored on

TIGER is always favored on the links, from moving a so called pebble years ago to a very questionable drop at the PLAYERS.. While im not a fan of garcia ...i think there is a little pent up frustration concerning Woods percieverd and real special treatment..

myfather15
myfather15 06/04/13 - 06:26 am

First of all......

Whoaaa there partner!! Being the "Greatest Golfer" to ever play the game isn't just about dominating the sport for a decade or so; it includes dominating it for a career. Last time I checked; Tiger should still be in his prime for a golf career and isn't doing so hot. Yes, he APPEARS to be getting better than the last few years, but how about we let this play out before crowning him the greatest ever. Dude actually might not win another major event; would he still be the greatest ever??

myfather15
myfather15 06/04/13 - 06:32 am

2nd....

Is Garcia the first person to ever say something dumb; in which they later wished they hadn't said it? NO!! This was an absolutely stupid comment, period. BUT, what exactly is the big deal?? Honestly, anyone who has been around black folks any length of time has heard THEM joke about the old sterotype of fried chicken and watermelon. Even the little rascals used to make fun of it with their show with Buckwheat. Did anyone find that show offensive? I doubt anyone with a sense of humor did so!! Someone was offended, SO WHAT!! My guess is that Tiger will be just fine and will get over it fairly quickly; unless he decides to play it for publicity. I get so sick of hearing people spouting off about their poor little feelings being hurt.

chascushman
chascushman 06/04/13 - 09:46 am

" I get so sick of hearing

" I get so sick of hearing people spouting off about their poor little feelings being hurt."
I agree 100%

chascushman
chascushman 06/04/13 - 09:58 am

Tiger’s fans are by far the ruddiest bunch

“But, like all humans in the 21st century, Tiger is only offended when it is to his advantage.”
I agree. I worked at the Masters as a security guard a few years ago and Tiger’s fans are by FAR the ruddiest bunch out there. I was surprised at just how rude and ignorant they were.

chascushman
chascushman 06/04/13 - 09:55 am

“Last time I checked; Tiger

“Last time I checked; Tiger should still be in his prime for a golf career and isn't doing so hot.”
I’m sure it is a coincidence but Tiger’s game really went down about the time the tour started testing for steroids.

Darby
19164
Darby 06/04/13 - 12:13 pm

Don't like Woods, but then I don't like

golf either so maybe I can be excused.

The man, if a full grown child can be called a man, disgusts me.

Lacking his talent for putting a small, white ball into a little cup, he would be shunned and otherwise ignored by decent people.

Since I don't like golf, I'm free to see him for what he really is... devoid of the pomp and circumstance.

I'm not willing to "sell out" simply because he brings visitors and money to the CSRA.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 06/04/13 - 02:33 pm

Isn't this....

the same Tiger that was making lesbian jokes on the course? I hate racism and sexisim but the one thing that is worse than both is the "circumstance racial/sexist card." Used when circumstances come about to get publicity/sympathy for yourself. That being said, Garcia is a moron anyway. Why anyone would listen to his whining is beyond me....

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 06/04/13 - 04:10 pm

This selective outrage

... not only by him, but the fawning sports media talking heads SO much reminds me of a Woody Allen bit where at the end he decided the problem with a balky elevator was "... it might be an anti-semite."

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 06/04/13 - 04:21 pm

Tiger

Leave Tiger alone. Do not cast aspersions on his asparagus.

Darby
19164
Darby 06/04/13 - 05:06 pm

Don't like Tiger,

don't care for golf or asparagus either...

What does that make me???

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 06/04/13 - 05:12 pm

A green vegetable hating

non golfer that would probably be labeled a racist?

Darby
19164
Darby 06/04/13 - 05:39 pm
syfredrick
syfredrick 06/04/13 - 08:50 pm

Isn't Tiger Woods

a theme park or some health food?

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/04/13 - 11:08 pm

I like (no love)

Fried chicken and collard greens.
Tapioca pudding and white bread with real butter.
Smoked BBQ and grilled jalpenos.
Sushi and rice wine.
Homemade bisquits and fig preserves.
Cochinita pibil and refried beans.

I love food!!!

If an example of food offends you, you have much greater problems that need discussing.

New chair gets vet off-road to fish

Army veteran Henry Kent's new Action Trackchair has attachments for fishing, with a holder for his fishing pole and a built-in tackle box, but others can be outfitted with gunracks for hunting.