Mexican soda unexpected

I was in Aiken, S.C., for the Memorial Day parade recently and bought a bottle of Coca-Cola from a small café on Laurens street. The bottle was similar to the old Coca-Cola glass bottles but much taller.

On looking at the bottle, I saw that all of the information printed on the bottle was in Spanish. I have no problem with Coca-Cola catering to its Spanish-speaking customers living in the United States, but this was not a Hispanic café. Nothing on the menu was Hispanic, and none of the many customers appeared to be Hispanic. On closer examination of the bottle, I saw the words “Hecho en Mexico” (Bottled in Mexico). The only English on the bottle was on a small, barely legible, paper stick-on label that had the information required for sale in the United States.

A Coca-Cola bottling company in Augusta and Coca-Cola’s headquarters in Atlanta, and Coca-Cola is being imported from Mexico? I thought I had seen everything, but this tops them all!

Irvin Ingraham

Grovetown

Comments (14)

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 06/04/13 - 02:35 am

Two things:

1) Demand for Mexican-bottled Coca-Cola exists because some people would rather ingest real sugar than high fructose corn syrup, a latent effect of our corn subsidies that also has a lot to do with why the illegal immigration issue has reached its current magnitude.

2) You should try living your life without ingesting any carbonated soft drinks. You'll save money, and your health can only benefit. It's worked for me.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 06/04/13 - 04:26 am

Jon's correct. Many feel that

Jon's correct. Many feel that it tastes more like the "original" Coke, that was reintroduced after "New" Coke flopped, but used corn syrup instead of sugar in the recipe. Many fans were rather insulted that they called it "original" with the recipe change. A few clicks and you can part with a ridiculous amount of money for Mexican Coke through eBay or other sites. If you're jonesing for the old soda taste with sugar instead of corn syrup, just get a Pepsi, Mountain Dew, or Dr. Pepper Throwback. They'll cost you the same as a regular soda and won't have to come FedEx. I always preferred Pepsi anyway. Sorry Dr. Pemberton.

jrbfromga
jrbfromga 06/04/13 - 06:51 am

Cane sugar

It's all about the cane sugar versus high-fructose corn syrup. Jon's correct, we need to stop the corn-ethanol subsidies and other crops supports and let the free market rule. It would be nice if Coca-cola came out with a "throwback" version and see it fly off the shelves...then maybe they would change the whole line back to cane sugar.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/04/13 - 07:52 am

Oh the humanity!

Oh the humanity!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/04/13 - 08:48 am

I actually agree with

I actually agree with everyone today.

grouse
grouse 06/04/13 - 08:50 am

Actually, some stores have

Actually, some stores have the Mexican coke for $1.00 which is cheaper than in the vending machines.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/04/13 - 09:25 am

Cost

Well, since Mr. Ingraham did not complain about the cost of the Mexican Coke, I presume it was comparable to the corn syrup sweetened ones. Perhaps I'll go over to Laurens Street soon and check it out.

David Parker
David Parker 06/04/13 - 11:06 am

Slow news day eh?

Slow news day eh?

karradur
karradur 06/04/13 - 12:09 pm

@Humble Angela

Yeah, me too. Look at that, all of us coming together for some refreshing Mexican Coca-Cola.

Darby
19139
Darby 06/04/13 - 02:56 pm

"I actually agree with everyone today."

Better be careful HA. Don't know where that might take you.

Maybe it's all that talk about sugar.

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/04/13 - 11:22 pm

"I always preferred Pepsi

"I always preferred Pepsi anyway."

Sacrilege!!!

Darby
19139
Darby 06/05/13 - 12:30 am

I prefer Pepsi also, when talking cola....

On the other hand, I will take a good root beer over either Pepsi or Coke.

KSL
KSL 06/06/13 - 11:02 am

I guess I am one of the few

I guess I am one of the few people who liked New Coke. I did not like the new version of original Coke, so we swtiched to Pepsi. Now it is Soda Stream.

Darby
19139
Darby 06/06/13 - 11:30 am

"Now it is Soda Stream."

Hmnnn? Another one of them dad-burned original thinking, adventurous people.....

Just gotta break free of the crowd, doncha???

KSL
KSL 06/06/13 - 12:08 pm

LOL, Darby

I was in Bed, Bath, and Beyond getting a couple of extra bottles and a Cuisinart version is now available.

KSL
KSL 06/06/13 - 12:31 pm

My husband likes Dr. Pepper,

My husband likes Dr. Pepper, but he has never bought it at the grocery store to bring home. But he has bought Dr Pete, (Soda Stream's version) and he likes it.

Darby
19139
Darby 06/06/13 - 07:27 pm

When I was a kid, I really, really liked

Dr. Pepper. Guess I kinda outgrew it. I give folks at some fast food places a good natured hard time when I ask for root beer and they offer me Dr. Pepper, saying it's "the same thing"

It ain't!

newmooncafe
newmooncafe 06/12/13 - 07:42 pm

Mexican soda

Mr. Ingraham,
I believe the cafe you a referencing is possibly New Moon Cafe. If that is the case, thanks for coming in first of all! Secondly, thanks for highlighting that we need to put some better signage on the Mexi-Cokes to let folks know that they are unique in that they are made with sugar and not corn syrup. I am dedicated to keeping our cafe's offerings as local as possible, and will do a better job of communicating going forward!
Thanks again,