• It’s illegal to walk under the influence of alcohol and or drugs.
• It’s also illegal to hitchhike.
• Motorists must yield the right of way to pedestrians in crosswalks – but pedestrians must not step out into a crosswalk if doing so will create a hazard to the driver of the vehicle.
• Pedestrians must cross at intersections when possible – and if they’re crossing outside of an intersection, they must yield the right-of-way to motorists.
• Motorists have a responsibility to share the road safely and be on the lookout for pedestrians – and should actively look for pedestrians in neighborhoods, intense urban areas and the beach towns.
• If you can’t walk on a sidewalk, you must walk facing traffic ... and walk as far off the edge as possible.
• When walking at night you must carry a flashlight or other reflective item so you can be seen by motorists.
People think safety is someone else’s job, and a life is lost because of it.
Safety is everyone’s duty. Let’s make Augusta a safe place to live.