Behind the smokescreen

Let me start by saying I hate smoking and tobacco use in general. I have lost my mother, father, step-father and a brother to cancers related in one way or another to their tobacco use.

Having said that, let me say that something I hate even more is a bunch of do-gooders trying to use the power of government to take away another person’s rights.

This issue is all about freedom of choice (emphasis mine). Government, which is already way too intrusive in our lives every day, has no business to take away one person’s rights just because some other person is too lazy or not willing to be responsible for their own wellbeing to make their own choice.

If you do not want to be in that nasty, stinky, disgusting environment, then you should choose to stay out! No one is forcing you to do something against your will or your rights. You are free to choose what you believe is in your best interest and to do, or not do, whatever you want. You do not have the right to deny anyone else the same right or to force someone else to choose the same way you do.

As for the young lady being used as a pawn in the do-gooders’ television ad in a pathetic attempt to drum up public support for their naked attempt to deny others their rights, you chose to ask that business owner for a job – a job you knew would put you in that environment. That was your choice. If you now have decided that you do not choose to continue to work in that environment, then the right thing for you to do is to give your notice and leave. Shame on you for being a pawn in this un-American power grab by these misguided, perhaps well-intended, trouble makers.

Life is all about choices and consequences. In America we are supposed to be free to make our own choices as long as we are ready to accept the consequences. That’s the way it used to be in America. That is rapidly fading in the distance of time as people and groups think they know better what’s good for you and deny you the right to make your own choices.

Stephen T. Snowberger

Augusta

specsta
specsta 05/25/13 - 02:32 am
The Right To Clean Air

Are you serious?

"If you do not want to be in that nasty, stinky, disgusting environment, then you should choose to stay out! No one is forcing you to do something against your will or your rights." Stephen Snowberger

How about this - if you are a smoker and don't want to be in a smoke-free environment full of clean air and healthy lungs - STAY OUT! Go smoke at home, where you can exercise your "right" all you want.

Non-smokers have a right to be healthy. Cigarette smoking is a filthy, disgusting habit and smokers are the biggest litterbugs in the world.

carcraft
carcraft 05/25/13 - 04:41 am
The list is endless

The list of "evils" government can help people avoid is endless. You have a right to be on highways where some idiot can't drive a car over 70 mph, lets ban all high performance cars. You have a right to be free from other peoples obnoxious beliefs, lets ban the religions and politics you don't like. You have a right not to look at some kids rear end, lets ban saggy pants. What the government could ban for the good of the people is endless and the cover for tyranny

myfather15
myfather15 05/25/13 - 05:24 am
It's quite simple;

If I purchase a building and turn it into a restaurant; usually it's for profit. It's also a PRIVATELY owned business; again, trying to make profit. If I believe I can make more money and be more successful by allowing smoking, its should be MY DECISION to allow it. If I believe I can make more money by banning smoking, thereby bringing in more smoke-free customers; It should be MY DECISION.

I should have to put a sign up; warning people this is or isn't a smoke free facility. Then THEY can make a decision to patron my restaurant or not. End of story!! Government has no place in regulating privately owned buildings. The People of this Country can police our own on issues like this. They would NOT succeed if they aren't clean and the food isn't good. They probably wouldn't last a month; because I know I wouldn't go into a smoke filled restaurant to have a meal. BUT, just because I don't like it, doesn't mean they should be forced into anything.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 05/25/13 - 07:11 am
How many restaurants allow

How many restaurants allow smoking vs. how many that don't? What's the ratio? 50 to 1? 100 to 1? Please don't tell me that you just have to go into one of the smoking establishments because the others don't offer a choice that you desire. I don't go out a lot but I think I've been to 2 places that allow smoking inside in this area. Of course once they've banned smoking inside, they won't be satisfied with that, they'll ban it for people sitting outside as well. You see, it's not a health issue with them, it's a control issue. Last time they tried, they included e-cigarettes that release nothing but water vapor ( I have no clue if they include them in this attempt). Next It'll be cars. You'll be lucky if you can smoke in your own house with all of the windows and doors closed before they're through.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/25/13 - 08:27 am
Control control control

Religion---smoking---guns--on & on....

I agree with the letter.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/25/13 - 09:02 am
LIberalism.......Ideas so

LIberalism.......Ideas so good they have to be mandated by law!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 05/25/13 - 09:10 am
Based on liberal

thinking, I should be able to legally eliminate ( exterminate ) them on the premise they are bad for my health and well being.

faithson
faithson 05/25/13 - 09:32 am
LIBERTY

definition of LIBERTY

1 the quality or state of being free:
a : the power to do as one pleases

Liberty is a self-destroying technique of cosmic existence when its motivation is unintelligent, unconditioned, and uncontrolled. True liberty is progressively related to reality and is ever regardful of social equity, cosmic fairness, universe fraternity, and divine obligations.

Liberty is suicidal when divorced from material justice, intellectual fairness, social forbearance, moral duty, and spiritual values. Liberty is nonexistent apart from cosmic reality, and all personality reality is proportional to its divinity relationships.

Unbridled self-will and unregulated self-expression equal unmitigated selfishness, the acme of ungodliness. Liberty without the associated and ever-increasing conquest of self is a figment of egoistic mortal imagination. Self-motivated liberty is a conceptual illusion, a cruel deception. License masquerading in the garments of liberty is the forerunner of abject bondage.

True liberty is the associate of genuine self-respect; false liberty is the consort of self-admiration. True liberty is the fruit of self-control; false liberty, the assumption of self-assertion. Self-control leads to altruistic service; self-admiration tends towards the exploitation of others for the selfish aggrandizement of such a mistaken individual as is willing to sacrifice righteous attainment for the sake of possessing unjust power over his fellow beings. UB

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 05/25/13 - 11:15 am
Smoking

It seems some folks do not understand what is public and what is private and what that does to your rights. I can set naked at home and watch a ball game if I choose, you don't want me next to you at a Braves game! I have freedom of speach, just as long as I do not yell fire in a public theather. I can spray RoundUp on my yard as long as I do not spray yours. You can not spray DDT, Red Dye #2, or a host of other posions into the public areas. You can smoke all you want as long as you do not exhale into public air. Public is anywhere I am invited to be, allowed to be or have a vested interest in as a citizen.
You can not infringe my rights to exersize yours.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/25/13 - 11:19 am
Smoking Kills

Okay, the law is one issue and I agree with my conservative brethren that it messes with rights when government limits most things. But smoking or being around it is an extremely unhealthy and obnoxious habit. Realize nicotine has a detrimental effect on the cardiovascular system in addition to the damage the lungs incur. The number of smokers is decreasing from my observation and there will eventually be so few smokers that most restaurants will voluntarily ban smoking.

myfather15
myfather15 05/25/13 - 11:43 am
@River

I agree with you 100%. Personally, I REALLY don't want to go into a restaurant and walk into a cloud of smoke. I've worked security details in bars where it choked me down and almost made me sick; but I CHOOSE to work the detail to make extra money. I didn't have too, just like I don't have to patron a restaurant that chooses to allow smoking. WE may choose not to be around smoke. Other buildings, especially government buildings and offices where the public MUST go from time to time; I have no problem with banning smoking and I'm glad they do.

myfather15
myfather15 05/25/13 - 11:48 am
@oldredneckman

So, is going to restaurant now a individuals right? Yes, you're certainly invited to go to any restaurant you CHOOSE. You also have the right to choose NOT go patron a restaurant; due to the OWNERS decision to allow smoking. I agree that more and more people are quiting smoking; so this problem will eventually take care of itself; we don't need the government overstepping its limits to do it for us. Eventually, a restaurant that allowed smoking would probably go out of business. So they would either learn their lesson or be out of business; problem fixed by WE the People.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/25/13 - 12:19 pm
Myfather15 has the issue

Myfather15 has the issue nailed down tight. Not a one of you despises the stench of cigarettes any more than I do; and I rarely ever smell them anymore. The current laws are working fine, we don't need any more telling private businesses what they can and can't do.

Heck, for that matter I support private business being able to have their doors open to blacks only, whites only, etc. They won't stay in business long, but it is their money to lose.

allhans
allhans 05/25/13 - 01:38 pm
Can we please, please, please

Can we please, please, please ban the obnoxious noise pollution that is called "music" by some. Talk about a danger to our health...We should all invest our money in a hearing aid business.....Can't I find a place to pump gas in peace....Drivers leave their car, radio blasting, go inside and you are left to "face the music"!....Ban it..Ban it NOW, I say!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 03:15 pm
Smoking inside of businesses should be banned

One comment, "Second hand smoke !" I don't think that non-smokers should have to put up with this.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/25/13 - 03:32 pm
But Tim, if the business

But Tim, if the business owner wants to allows smoking, why can't he. It's no different than me having people over to my house and if I wanted to let the one's that smoke do so, I have that right. Why does a business owner not have that same right?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 03:40 pm
HA misuse of plural word

"owner wants to allows smoking"

Second, my opinion is that the employees should not be subjected to second hand smoke.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/25/13 - 03:50 pm
I think that no one should be

I think that no one should be allowed to live in a dwelling that is constructed from earthen materials. Any dwelling that is constructed of earthen materials should immediately be treated as hazardous materials, demolished, and the owner charged to clean up this hazardous material. How dare someone pollute the environment with toxic off-gassing and radionuclides released from earthen construction materials? Thousands die every year from needless use of earthen construction materials! How could you even dream of having granite countertops in a home with young children?

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/25/13 - 03:56 pm
Radon is the second leading

Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer (in case you didn't know,) so I am confident that as soon as the enlightened ones have eradicated smoking, radon will have to be next on the list!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 03:57 pm
OK Cage Creed, point taken !

But don't the employees have a right to clean air ?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/25/13 - 03:58 pm
The employees don't have to

The employees don't have to work there either. The building doesn't belong to them.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 04:09 pm
I think you are boarder-lining on discrimination

HA how can you not agree about second hand smoke ?! I know your beliefs about freedoms, but should the government be allowed to force a healthy work environment ?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/25/13 - 04:11 pm
If that is your case then you

If that is your case then you need to have OSHA regulate the smoke and either limit the smoke intake of the workers by the use of engineering controls or respirators. That is how workers are protected from other atmospheric contaminates.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/25/13 - 04:12 pm
How am I even coming CLOSE to

How am I even coming CLOSE to discrimination?

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/25/13 - 04:14 pm
I guess we will have PEL of

I guess we will have PEL of cigarette smoke and respirators will become fashionable given the history of government intervention.

I wonder if there is a PEL of cigarette smoke in 29CFR….

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 04:22 pm
Sounds like two people work at SRS

Really good Safety and Health Protection knowledge !! Very nice !

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/25/13 - 04:39 pm
I think we need to banned

I think we need to banned perfume. I can't stand to go in a restaurant, doctor's office, or grocery store where women (and men) have half the bottle of perfume on. It makes my eyes water, my allergies start acting up and it gives me terrible headaches. Tim, you think perfume should be regulated just like tobacco smoke? Why don't we push for Victoria Secret, Hollister's, A&F, Bath and Body Works, etc to have a banned on perfumes.

myfather15
myfather15 05/25/13 - 04:45 pm
@t3bledsoe

Please stop ATTEMPTING to make yourself out to be more intelligent by correcting simple spelling and grammar mistakes on a media blogging thread. Most people (besides you maybe) aren't getting paid to be on here and don't always proof read and correct their mistakes. GET OVER IT!!

2nd; I'm a none smoker and if I CHOOSE not to patron or WORK at a place that allows smoking, I'm not exposed to second hand smoke. Simple enough?? Of course not; because your probably of the belief those people have a RIGHT to work at that particular establishment. Well, keeping that in mind; I believe I have a RIGHT to work for the Augusta National and make 6 figures. I think I'll write them and tell them they are denying my rights and demand to be employed with them immediately.

myfather15
myfather15 05/25/13 - 04:50 pm
Basically, I can buy a

Basically, I can buy a building and property; but can't decide what I can do with it? What does that sound like? Now, I can understand the government regulating the FOOD being served for health concerns; because if I'm opening a RESTAURANT, obviously I'm serving FOOD to the patrons; whether they smoke or not. Some cheapskates would sell spoiled food just to make a dollar. But smoking has nothing to do with the FOOD quality. I shouldn't be allowed to open a RESTAURANT and served rotten food to unknowing people; but allowing smoking and announcing it; is simply NOT the same.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 04:57 pm
REALLY getting my back-side kicked !

I have had enough for today. Maybe tomorrow. Have a good night.