GRU leadership inspiring

I thoroughly enjoyed the article by Barry L. Paschal in The Augusta Chronicle about University System of Georgia Board of Regents Chancellor Hank Huckaby’s address to the Columbia Country Chamber of Commerce breakfast May 15 (“Chancellor touts need for change,” May 16). His words rang true and confirmed my appreciation of the hard road ahead for our Board of Regents, Chancellor Huckaby and our president, Dr. Ricardo Azziz, in helping our new university reach the next level of academic and research excellence.

As the article stated, “This is a great place in a great part of the state, and it’s going to be even greater with the things we’re going to do.” As a faculty member, I am proud to be part of this transformational change. As a transplanted Augustan, I am very grateful for the Board of Regents’ support for our city and our great new institution. Like many other faculty, I look forward to being part of our transition to a Level One research university.

Both Azziz and Huckaby have difficult jobs, but their vision for our institution ultimately will benefit every one of us at the university and the surrounding community as well as the state, nation and the world. Please join me in thanking these great leaders for their insightful and inspiring leadership.

(The writer is dean and Merritt Professor of Georgia Regents University’s College of Dental Medicine.)

bentman
bentman 05/20/13 - 10:35 pm
Gag

Just another minion, afraid of losing his job if he doesn't kiss the king's ring.

Young Fred
Young Fred 05/21/13 - 12:34 am
A common phenomenon

"The end justifies the means."

Or so, some would have us believe.

I don't doubt the good Dr. has a great end in mind, I just don't like the route he decided to take.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 05/21/13 - 03:00 am
The Chronicle is starting a

The Chronicle is starting a section like "The Onion", right?

agustinian
agustinian 05/21/13 - 05:22 am
The Onion

Mr. Bodhisattva -- your comment is the best I have seen in a long time. I am still laughing. Thank you for making my day.

chascushman
chascushman 05/21/13 - 06:50 am
She needs to go along Azziz

She needs to go along Azziz and Huckaby

tom31510
tom31510 05/21/13 - 07:31 am
Koolaid

OMG, as if Obama doesn't serve enough Koolaid! 'transplanted Augustan', there you go; Azziz surounds himself with transplants because he thinks he in a 'third-world' region. 'our great new institution'? It's not a year old yet; not proven, how can you say 'great'. Most folks with at least one eye & half a brain knows that MCG is anything but new; it was both great and old when Puerto Rico belonged to Spain & California wasn't even a state. I wonder if Dr. Connie was promised a corner office for her Azziz support, or maybe a covered parking spot?

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/21/13 - 07:49 am
First the notion was

First the notion was "savings" now its "change" but no one has explained what this great vision or change is. Every University and faculty I've been a part has brown nosers. Usually they are the most vocal in support but often do the least and often undermine the effort. Azziz would do well to write directly to the public "from his heart" what his vision for the medial aspect and liberal arts aspects of his school. Keeping people in the dark and the appearance of wasting money aren't working for him. I've talked to a lot of people who still work there and they don't know what the "vision" is either-just talk about Azziz like he is a ruthless despot.

augustadog
augustadog 05/21/13 - 09:27 am
bentman

Get rid of all of them!
They are kissing something a lot bigger than the "ring."
They are nothing but Carpet Baggers of the worst kind.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 05/21/13 - 12:38 pm
She definitely ain't from around here,

just like so many other newbie pains-in-the-rear who mistakenly believe they know just what ought to happen at MCG.

The genuine true-believers, if it's possible, are even more vile that the one at whose feet they fall to lick the boots clean. I wish they all would take their massive intellects, their inflated CVs and their paralyzing arrogance and go peddle their feathers in another state, preferably far, far away. Perhaps even in Peru.

prov227
prov227 05/21/13 - 03:32 pm
Wow ...

this letter just covers one up. Transformed, transplanted, bubbling with enthusiasm and enjoying her new found role. Not much critical thinking here.

Willie Loman
Willie Loman 05/21/13 - 07:49 pm
Hmmm...

I think i just threw up in my mouth a little bit! :(
Dr. Drisko is one of Azziz's myrmidons. Just saying.

Jake
Jake 05/21/13 - 09:23 pm

....I also hope that Augusta does not have a thriving, vibrant or successful university because of Dr Azziz. Yeah, that will show him who is boss.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.