Bring our troops home

I understand President Obama’s plan is to have all U.S. troops out of Afghanistan by the end of 2014. As a lifelong U.S. citizen for more than 54 years, I would like to say the following about these two wars, in Iraq and Afghanistan, and how they relate to our nation’s history.

I truly believe that fighting World War I and World War II was absolutely necessary to our nation’s security. I truly do not believe that fighting in Korea, Vietnam, Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan was necessary to the security of our nation.

Now the overpaid, underworked and clueless government officials in Washington, D.C., are continuing to force tens of thousands of American troops into harm’s way for absolutely no good reason! The term “nation-building” has been used to describe both Iraq’s and Afghanistan’s wars. I was of the understanding that this was viewed as wrong for a country to get involved in.

It is well past time for our so-called government “officials” to stop being warmongers and bring all of our troops home to safety and their families where they belong!

Timothy Monroe Bledsoe

North Augusta, S.C.

deestafford
deestafford 05/20/13 - 06:46 am
I disagree with Mr Bledsoe on his characterization of the last

five "wars" as not being necessary. As a retired, wounded Infantryman who served in Viet Nam and Korea (I was not in the Korean conflict) I saw first hand the terrors of Communism and what it does to people. I could go into great detail as to the reasons we went into each of these five countries but I space limitations do not allow it.

But, let's just take Korea for an example. Look at the difference between South Korea and North Korea. Which one would you rather live in? That choice would not have been possible without the US involvement.

The difference in Korea and the other countries is in South Korea we left enough troops behind to keep the enemy at bay and in the others we allowed our politicians to cut and run. Thereby, leaving the countries, except Kuwait, to regress back to the enemy. The politicians lost the will to fight for maintaining the peace. Iraq and Afghanistan will fall to the Islamic extremists because obama refused to leave adequate troops behind. Any potential adversary now understands that all they have to do is wait us out because we lack the guts to see the mission through to the end.

We should not go to war to "spread democracy", especially in the Middle East which has no history of any country being democratic, because not all people yearn to live in a democracy nor are they culturally suited for it. Isreal is the sole exception.

The world is so interconnected there are times we must fight when America's interests are at stake. Only for protecting our interests should we ever go to war and that should not be to "spread democracy". If we have to help a dictator who is friendly to America stay in power we should support him rather than have a situation like the Egyptian "Arab Spring" which will put in an anti-American Islamist state in place.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/20/13 - 09:46 am
Mr Bledsoe.....can you

Mr Bledsoe.....can you articulate why you believe 2 of our wars were necessary, but the others were not? You do realize that one of the first things we did after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor was to declare war on Germany.

"Considering these five countries are so far from the United States, I do not see how these wars were even conceivably or remotely fought to protect our nation’s security!"

Do you have any idea how far away Japan is?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 05/20/13 - 09:56 am
Liberals cannot except the

Liberals cannot except the notion that there is good and evil in the world. The question should be what is our duty to be a force for good and stand against evil. This is the "fundamental" difference with the Obama administration because he like many liberals does not think America has been force for good.....until he arrived to give us " fundamental change".

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/20/13 - 10:18 am
"I truly do not believe that

"I truly do not believe that fighting in Korea, Vietnam, Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan was necessary to the security of our nation.

If my understanding of the history of these wars is correct, Korea and Vietnam were fought to prevent the spread of communism to South Korea and South Vietnam. The war in Kuwait was fought to drive Iraq’s Saddam Hussein out of a country he wrongly invaded. The Iraq and Afghanistan wars were because of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Considering these five countries are so far from the United States, I do not see how these wars were even conceivably or remotely fought to protect our nation’s security!"

In my opinion, World War 1 and 2 were necessary for our nations security because without U.S. Troops, Europe most likely would have fallen into tarrenicle (sp) hands. Also, it is very true that Japan forced The U.S. into WW2. As for the other wars, Communisum and Islamic take-over of these countries WAS AND IS NOT A GOOD REASON TO LOSE AMERICAN LIVES OVER !! In my opinion, Iraq and Afghanistan will eventually fall back into tarrenicle (sp) hands.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/20/13 - 10:20 am
So it's ok to fight a war if

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/20/13 - 10:41 am
HA, then why are we not fighting in Syria ?

"So it's ok to fight a war if Europe falls into tyrannical hands, but if it's Asia that is falling into tyrannical hands (Iraq) then we should stay out?"

Both WW's were to protect Europe from TOTAL TAKE-OVER. The spread of Communisum and Islamic beliefs MUST NOT warrent American lives in Asia.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/20/13 - 11:06 am
Total takeover from what?

Total takeover from what? Why is total takeover by communism and Islamic theocracy any better than fascism?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/20/13 - 11:32 am
HA you are talking about five countries

I do not believe that these five wars warrented the lose of American lives nor hundreds of billions of dollars.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/20/13 - 11:34 am
How many countries did

How many countries did Germany take over before we entered WWII? I'll give you a hint. Less than five.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/20/13 - 11:40 am
HA @ 11:34

I believe the "saving of Europe" was absolutely necessary to our security.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/20/13 - 11:48 am
And "saving of Asia" is not?

And "saving of Asia" is not? Why?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/20/13 - 12:15 pm
HA saving of oil reserves must not constute war

The securing of oil IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to lose American lives.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/20/13 - 12:27 pm
Who said it is for securing

Who said it is for securing of oil? If we went to war to "secure oil" then why didn't we get any of the oil. You are swallowing liberal propaganda to easily. You seem to have no problem with Asians living in tyranny, but we have to stop Europeans from living in tyranny.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/20/13 - 12:29 pm
HA tyranny and war

"Who said it is for securing of oil? Can you back that up with something? You seem to have no problem with Asians living in tyranny, but we have to stop Europeans from living in tyranny."

I believe the Kuwait and Iraq wars were to secure oil reserves. Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan were to fight Cummunisum and tyrannical Islam groups. NONE OF THESE WERE WORTH AMERICAN LIVES !!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/20/13 - 12:31 pm
So since you believe that the

So since you believe that the war was to secure oil, it must be so....even if you have no evidence?

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/20/13 - 12:40 pm
"The securing of oil IS

"The securing of oil IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to lose American lives."

So, we've gone from communism and Islam to oil. Make up your mind t3bledsoe.

So you are saying the United Nations decided to remove Hussein because of oil. Gee, I thought it was his refusal of U.N. nuclear inspectors and the use of WMD on the Kurds. As for Afghanistan, they are not an oil producer.

As for Vietnam, it was not just to prevent communist from taking over Vietnam. It was to prevent communist expansion from taking over all of Southeast Asia. Korea was a "point of order" to enforce the post WWII agreement between Communist China, the Soviet Union, and the United States which divided the Korean peninsula.

So t3bledsoe, you are welcome to your opinion of when is the right time for the U.S. to take a stand, but it ain't necessarily the right opinion and it ain't necessarily based on the facts.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/20/13 - 12:42 pm
HA with all due respect to all life

"

And why is it not worth dying to stop tyrannical Islamic groups, but it IS worth dying to stop tyrannical fascist groups? Please explain."

The last five wars were not important enough to cost lives.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/20/13 - 12:58 pm
"The last five wars were not

"The last five wars were not important enough to cost lives."

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/20/13 - 01:14 pm
Europe

I guess Mr. Bledsoe would put the Kosovo/Bosnia/Serbia war fought under president Clinton to be in the national security interests of the United States because it was in Europe.

KSL
KSL 05/20/13 - 02:32 pm
LL, HA, Dichot, y'all have me

LL, HA, Dichot, y'all have me in stitches. I think the history teachers were overpaid as well and owe money back to the taxpayers.

KSL
KSL 05/20/13 - 03:25 pm
t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/20/13 - 07:11 pm
"I said explain....not

"I said explain....not restate. Why were WWI and WWI important, but not the last 5?"

HA, it should take a lot more importance than these five wars to cost American lives. The Communist take over of South Korea and South Vietnam was not important enough to cause over 50,000 lives !!

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/20/13 - 08:43 pm
I thought there was a 30 day

I thought there was a 30 day rule?

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/20/13 - 08:54 pm
“If ignorant both of your

“If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

KSL
KSL 05/20/13 - 11:42 pm
Timmy

Can you prove the 2 wars, Korea and Viet Nam, did nothing to prevent the spread of communism?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/21/13 - 08:09 am
I just can't understand why

I just can't understand why someone would accept one tyranny, but not another.

chascushman
chascushman 05/21/13 - 04:46 pm
US prevented the slaughter of millions in S Korea

“The Communist take over of South Korea and South Vietnam was not important enough to cause over 50,000 lives !!”
Tim, I guess you don’t consider lives of the people in Korea and Vietnam very important. The communist have killed millions of people in Russia, China, Vietnam and North Korea. At less the US prevented the slaughter of millions in S Korea. But I guess you don’t care about them.
This is what communist do and now they running the US.

chascushman
chascushman 05/22/13 - 08:46 pm
'But I guess you don’t care

'But I guess you don’t care about them.'
It seems Tim cares little about the S Korean people.