Writers look their best

Many people ignore the difficulty of what’s being done by someone who isn’t doing it.

With this in mind, I express sincere appreciation to Editorial Page Editor Mike Ryan and the editorial staff of this newspaper for making a hard job look easy. Your selecting and correcting and simultaneously respecting the intent of dozens of writers daily amounts to a job well done. While recognized for your analytical and grammatical proficiency, your attention to detail and your unbiased parity, seldom are you credited for saving writers from themselves when their abilities to convey or express fall a bit short. The word, phrase or sentence you delete or alter can prove paramount for readers and contributors.

Your diligence conveys the writers’ essence. Thank you.

Tunk Martin

Edgefield, S.C.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/09/13 - 03:14 am
I can't help but wonder if

I can't help but wonder if Mr. Martin has had letters to the editor corrected and that's why he's writing? How else would he know in such detail?

harley_52
harley_52 05/09/13 - 08:02 am
I Think That's Exactly What He's Saying...

....and I agree with Mr. Martin. I've had several experiences with Mr. Ryan on LTE I've submitted and I'd echo Mr. Martin's comments.

deestafford
deestafford 05/09/13 - 09:18 am
I agree totally

Overall, we have a great paper here with the AC and the ACE is head and shoulders above any that I have read and over 27 years travelling around in the Army I saw many papers.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/09/13 - 09:40 am
Madated LTE writing

There should be a mandated preriqusit ( Sp ) to publish at the very least one LTE before allowing comments !

Darby
Darby 05/09/13 - 01:31 pm
"I agree totally"

I totally DISagree! There was a time when I authored an LTE as often as the Chronicle allowed.

I finally ceased the effort in frustration. Rarely did the staff alter my submissions, however when they did, more often than not, they managed to change the way in which I had deliberately nuanced my message.

They never corrected my spelling. I know how to spell (and) how to use a spell checker, dictionary or thesaurus. More often than not, I was informed that, even though I had kept my post under three hundred words (not that easy BTW) they were editing for brevity.

When I write, I know exactly what I want to say. I would have much preferred that the Chronicle refuse my letter outright than to alter or abridge it. That would be much more acceptable.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/09/13 - 02:22 pm
I'd even imagine that readers

I'd even imagine that readers catch grammatical errors with editorial writers now and then, you know?

KSL
KSL 05/09/13 - 10:28 pm
As a former public official,

As a former public official, my husband, upon being interviewed by reporters, had what he stated put into quotation marks when it was not exactly what he said.

Were I to write a letter to the Editor, I would prefer it not be printed than to be altered.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/10/13 - 06:55 am
Today's Editorial

Funny that today's editorial had a huge mistake. Heh.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen