Don't buy libs' line on guns

Being a licensed gun dealer and supporter of the U.S. Constitution, I would like to clear things up for letter writer Melissa Sherwood (“Gun-bill result sickening,” May 3) of Aiken, S.C. She obviously has fallen for the “facts” that the liberal media tend to spew.

When someone buys a firearm online, it must be shipped to a licensed dealer at the local level. If a handgun is purchased, it must be shipped to a dealer in the same state as the buyer, because handguns cannot be sold over state lines.

The buyer must then go into the local store and fill out the paperwork required by the federal government. This paperwork is known as a Firearm Transaction Record, or a Form 4473. The dealer then calls the information in to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and the required background check is completed. If a “proceed” message is received from the ATF, the sale may proceed, and the dealer usually collects a small fee from the buyer for their time.

The same is true at gun shows. There is not a time when a licensed dealer sells a gun at a gun show without conducting the proper and required government background check. The dealer then is required to keep these forms indefinitely and to give access to ATF agents during an investigation which may involve the purchaser or the firearm.

That is how it works, period. A dealer can be prosecuted and lose his or her business if found to be in noncompliance with these simple rules. What the government is trying to do is make sales between private citizens subject to a background check.

deestafford
deestafford 05/07/13 - 10:05 am
It ain't about gun safety just as it ain't about health care:

It's all about power over the people. The liberals think we are stupid children who must be taken care of....by them.

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 05/07/13 - 10:07 am
I.m a Vietnam War Veteran, too

Thanks Mel. I am amused to see the responses you received. The water was just roiling with lib vitriol and moronic froth.

Facts just do not matter, just self aggrandized good intentions.

In the 1920s, Churchill observed that British politics and the government was of the duds, by the duds with the duds. Now it is here.

We have been blessed with three great gifts: free will, reason and faith. Each must work with the others or chaos is the result.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/07/13 - 10:10 am
RMSHEFF @ 09:54

""60-Minutes"" ( a conservative news show ) !!! Thanks for the laugh..I need one.

We liberals think 60 minutes is very reliable.

General Disarray
General Disarray 05/07/13 - 10:16 am
I believe we must have strong

I believe we must have strong laws that keep guns away from kids, criminals, the mentally deranged, spouse abusers, and violent people. I don't think we can truly be serious about doing that if we don't have a system for registering guns like we do for cars. Without registration we have no real method of holding people responsible for providing guns to people who should not have guns.

I do not believe that most of our efforts should be directed towards laws though. Instead, I think more efforts are needed in changing people's attitudes towards guns. That's what has happened in nearly every other Free World nation-and they have a fraction of the gun deaths we have.

I do not promote gun confiscation. But I do think our nation would be safer if we moved away from encouraging everyone to be armed. Far too often a gun is (mis)used to solve domestic disputes and road rage and work conflicts-by people who were suckered into thinking they would be SAFER with a gun. For the last couple generations we have been told by the gun lobby that we can reduce gun violence by adding more guns and having fewer gun laws! Yes, more concealed weapons, assault weapons, cop killer bullets and armed teachers are supposed to solve our gun violence problems! It's no wonder other nations shake their heads when they hear this.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/07/13 - 10:17 am
HA @ 10:03

Your e-mail answer, please. Got to go get more coffee. Back in 15.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/07/13 - 10:21 am
"A computer registry would

"A computer registry would give police a much faster way to find guns that have been used in crimes."

Real cops don't have magic CSI tools that don't really exist. They have a slug of a certain caliber. How is that helpful?

General Disarray
General Disarray 05/07/13 - 10:26 am
Also...

As I said yesterday:

Anyone who thinks that the 2nd Amendment was about "giving the citizens of this country the firepower to compete with the governments firepower" should be placed under 24-hour surveillance. There's only one provision of the U.S. Constitution that speaks to citizens trading firepower with the government: Article III, Section 3 -- the treason provision.

The government wrote the 2nd Amendment. They wrote it in 1791 to keep slaves in check and provide back up for the army. Not to allow an uprising against itself, it was to protect itself. When you try to overthrow your government that is the exact definition of treason. We live in a free nation because it has been fought for and maintained by our government. Yes, our armed services are indeed our government.

You support the troops? You support our government.

Remember if you secede you are no longer granted the rights and privileges of being part of the United States, including but not limited to the 2nd Amendment. Remember that.

karradur
karradur 05/07/13 - 10:33 am
...

"I have something I want to say to the victims of Newtown, or any other shooting. I don't care if it's here in Minneapolis or anyplace else. Just because a bad thing happened to you doesn't mean that you get to put a king in charge of my life. I'm sorry that you suffered a tragedy, but you know what? Deal with it, and don't force me to lose my liberty, which is a greater tragedy than your loss. I'm sick and tired of seeing these victims trotted out, given rides on Air Force One, hauled into the Senate well, and everyone is just afraid -- they're terrified of these victims. ... I would stand in front of them and tell them, 'Go to hell.'"

Those were comments that Minnesota radio host Bob Davis made on April 12th.

I'm excited to see how many people on the AC website agree with this statement.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/07/13 - 10:36 am

Thank you Mel, for explaining the rules. It cleared up some confusion I had. But tell me, is it ok for me to sell my handgun to my neighbor? Do we contact you first for a background check on him?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/07/13 - 10:38 am
Straw Purchase

Speaking of straw purchases of guns — didn't Gabby Gifford’s husband recently make one? Did any law enforcement agency punish him?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/07/13 - 10:40 am
HA you really are grasping at straws

I never said any thing about CSI. I did, however phrase it wrong. If the police have a gun AND A COMPUTERIZED REGISTRY, they could do their jobs like in the 21st century

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/07/13 - 10:41 am
Form

Does Form 4473 have mental health questions on it? If not, were the liberals trying to get mental health questions added to the form in their failed attempt to impose "universal" background check?

karradur
karradur 05/07/13 - 10:45 am
...

If I want a high-powered military grade weapon, I won't let anyone stop me! Not those liberal-progressive low-information minority traitors, not those stupid dead kids in the undoubtedly liberal-voting Sandy Hook that should have carried their own guns if they didn't want to die in kindergarten, and certainly not that Socialist Muslim Marxist communist atheist demon Obongo!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/07/13 - 10:49 am
Computerized Registry

Mr. Bledsoe, you can take it to the bank that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms already has their own computerized registry. How else could they do the checks so quickly when the gun dealers phone in the information on Form 4473?

karradur
karradur 05/07/13 - 10:53 am
It's very simple.

Guns are good.

Everyone should have a gun.

And not just a manually loaded handgun, I'm talking grenade launchers, electromagnetic railguns, and nuclear missiles.

Because that's what the government has, and if we ever want to fight off the tyrannical Obonobo and his legions of United Nations soldiers hellbent on aborting every fetus and turning all of our children into homosexuals, then we need to be evenly matched with them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of liberals because dying in war is the only way we will ever live in peace.

How is this so hard to undertand, you liberal-progressive morons?

P.S. Drugs should be legal because drugs don't kill people, people kill people.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/07/13 - 10:55 am
LL I hope some agency has a computerized registry

I believe that in the 21st century, police NEED a computerized registry.

faithson
faithson 05/07/13 - 10:57 am
reason...

all most are asking for is a 'reason' to possess such deadly fire power. Protect the home, sport shooting at a proper facility, a good 'reason'... not just the simple 'desire' because you can and some law written 2 centuries ago, that is as out of date in the present situation as the 2/3rds law would be today.

karradur
karradur 05/07/13 - 11:00 am
@faithson

You mean the Three-Fifths Compromise?

If you took a poll of how many current NRA members agree that the Compromise should be reinstated, you would probably get somewhere around 95% agreement.

historylover
historylover 05/07/13 - 11:01 am
You Conservatives Kill Me

Your love of guns and it's correlation to freedom has always been and will always remain to be the most ludicrous argument I've ever heard. Study history folks and get off the websites discussing complete lies and ideas that promote lies. Study what has already happened...not what you perceive is happening.

karradur
karradur 05/07/13 - 11:05 am
@historylover

But the only journalistic organization that tells the truth about what is happening in America is a cable news network with a massive advertising budget that is also owned by the same people who own the studio that made Horton Hears a Who!

historylover
historylover 05/07/13 - 11:06 am
You scare me

Many of your comments scare the heck out of me. I do not think some of you should be allowed to own guns at all, much less assault weapons. The idea of someone shooting off hundreds of rounds from any gun is just downright creepy. Get a video game for God's sake!

karradur
karradur 05/07/13 - 11:08 am
@historylover

I was being hyperbolic. I hope that's obvious.

historylover
historylover 05/07/13 - 11:12 am
@karradur

Totally got it and loved it!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/07/13 - 11:18 am
historylover @ 11:06

GREAT comment ! I do not believe conservs. realize what they are saying some of the time !

faithson
faithson 05/07/13 - 11:22 am
Kar

I meant the 2/3 or 3/5 law on slave voting. coulda said it better.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/07/13 - 11:40 am
People are allowed to buy

People are allowed to buy golf clubs, baseball bats, and guns. You can use any of them for sport or you could kill someone with them. Of course, I just ordered my 3-D printer so I can make a plastic assault rifles, bazookas, -maybe a tank. Kool. Chasin' rabbits down holes. The problem is in dealing with violence-no matter a "normal"or mentally disturbed. The obvious solution by the gun lobby logic will lead to banning pressure cookers, plastic, printers, knives, baseball bats, golf clubs, anything that can possibly kill someone. Sheez.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/07/13 - 11:43 am
Automobiles kill more people

Automobiles kill more people than guns in the US. We need to unarm Americans and ban cars. No, no, just it can only be a plastic car and incapable of harming anyone.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 05/07/13 - 11:54 am
Historylover may love history

Historylover may love history but he hates facts. You should do a little reading on our founding fathers.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/07/13 - 12:26 pm
It's just as false an

It's just as false an equivalence to say regulating guns will hamper crime or violence. Where did you get guns were invented to kill people. The chinese discovered gunpowder-people were killing each other long before guns were invented-and self defense was just one of many uses. I get people don't like guns-fine. I don't like sports and thinks too many males kill brain cells (like watchin' soap operas) and wasting time watchin' the idiot box-but far be it from me to hamper others freedom. It is a false argument that guns are the problem. Violence is the problem and their are successful ways science deems to deal with it. Only a fool grabs the donkey by the wrong end.

Humble Angela