Gun-bill result sickening

People congratulating themselves on the U.S. Senate defeat of a stronger gun law need a serious reality check.

They’re congratulating themselves that a convicted felon, a domestic abuser or a severely and dangerously mentally disturbed individual can go to a gun show or go online and purchase a gun with no background check. Fully 40 percent of all gun sales take place in gun shows and online, where background checks are not required.

Thank goodness violent criminals and the seriously mentally disturbed continue to have unlimited access to weapons that can be used to dismember 6- and 7-year-olds. Congratulations to all you who fell for the lie that a very watered-down bill, asking for basic background checks, would somehow create a federal gun registry (even though the bill specifically prohibited the creation of such a registry.)

Thank goodness the National Rifle Association and the gun lobby won’t lose a dime and will be able to continue to buy the votes of elected officials across the nation.

How “courageous” of U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, to stand up to the families of gun violence and declare that every American who is mentally ill, a convicted felon or a domestic abuser shall have the right to own guns. I can only hope he is sleeping well, comforted by his pillows and pockets padded with the blood-soaked money of the NRA.

My dad is legally blind. He can see, just not very well. Let’s give him a driver’s license. Although he’s legally blind and can’t see well at all, doesn’t he deserve to be able to drive a car? After all, he might not run down your kids. But at least blind Americans everywhere will get a chance to drive.

It’s a sad day for our country when senators such as Graham and Tim Scott care more about an “A” rating from the NRA than an “A” rating from their constituents.

Melissa Sherwood

Aiken, S.C.

carcraft
carcraft 05/03/13 - 05:33 am
Abour Shipping weapons and gun shows

Ms. Sherwood, Please try to become informed instead of repeating the ignorance you hear in supposed "news" programs. In Georgia you cannot buy a weapon on line across state lines without a back ground check. Weapons can't just be shipped to your home; this is federal law, unless you are a licensed dealer already certified as being capable of owning weapons. Weapons are shipped across state lines go to a licensed dealer or the sheriff. When you go to pick up your weapon a back ground check is ran. At gun shows in Georgia a member of the Sheriff’s department is present and does a back ground check before sales is complete.

carcraft
carcraft 05/03/13 - 05:34 am
Why not enforce the gun laws we have?

Why not enforce the gun laws we have? Only about 4% of gun law violations are prosecuted. I guess we need more gun laws to ignore?

fedex227
fedex227 05/03/13 - 05:56 am
Perhaps the LTE writer is from South Carolina ...

South Carolina does not require private sellers (sellers who are not licensed dealers) to initiate a background check when transferring a firearm.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/03/13 - 06:15 am
I agree with Riverman

Check your facts. In Newtown, the guns were purchased with background checks by the boys mother and he killed her to get them. I guess after Boston, you'll want background checks on people who purchase fireworks!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/03/13 - 07:10 am
fedex227....the same is true

fedex227....the same is true in GA as well.....as it should be.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/03/13 - 07:11 am
Please list any other

Please list any other Constitutional rights that should require a background check before you can exercise them.

fedex227
fedex227 05/03/13 - 07:25 am
HA, not sure what your point is ..

that those determined to be mentally ill or are convicted felons/suspected terrorists should be allowed to purchase/own firearms?

ymnbde
ymnbde 05/03/13 - 07:31 am
when you trust George Bush with your right to an abortion

I'll trust Barak Obama with my right to defend myself.
I lied.
I still wouldn't trust Barak Obama with my right to defend myself.
[a liberal] is [morally] blind. He can see, just not [the whole situation] very well. Let’s give him [complete control over my right to defend myself]. Although he’s [just acting on emotion] and can’t see [how his actions will cause more people to die] at all, doesn’t he deserve to be able to [be responsible for my defense]? After all, he might not [protect people in every big liberal controlled city he's currently responsible for defending, but your's may be different]. But at least [criminal, future governments, and unprotected] Americans everywhere will get a chance to [become victims of my malignant immature emotion].

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 05/03/13 - 07:32 am
Top "VENT" in the AJC this morning;

Bomber has radical Islamic ties: Bomber allowed citizenship with radical ties; US warned about bomber by other countries; Bomber family on welfare while living luxrious lifestyle:....A liberal sees the problem as... gun control.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/03/13 - 07:36 am
Gary Ross's comment

If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/13 - 07:41 am
Chicago has tough gun laws ...right?

The rankings come from a report of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods released this week by NeighborhoodScout.com. Detroit appears one more time on the list, with a neighborhood in the seventh spot. Four Chicago neighborhoods on the list as well, and most of the others are in cities in the South and Midwest. Many are on the smaller side, like Memphis, Tenn. which has two neighborhoods on the list, and Indianapolis, which has one neighborhood ranked as the 20th most dangerous.

The most dangerous neighborhoods in the US

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/13 - 07:43 am
JTF

It is sad to me too....or the top story could be about a gay sports player....how crazy are we...

deestafford
deestafford 05/03/13 - 07:49 am
Let's put this inaccurate 40% figure to rest

once and for all. That figure was accurate BEFORE the Brady Bill requiring purchases from licienced gun dealers required a background check. It is not true of the purchases of firearms today. A felon ("convicted" felon is redundant because one cannot become a felon unless convicted.) is not allowed to own a firearm by federal law. Only 4% of firearms are purchased at gun shows.
When I bought my daughter a pistol that I saw a licienced dealer over in SC had, it had to be brought to a licienced dealer in GA by the dealer in SC and then I had to undergo a background check before I could purchase and get the pistol.
There is no such thing as a "gunshow loop hole". A private citizen, non licienced dealer, can sell a weapon to anyone he choses no matter what building he is located in without a background check.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/03/13 - 08:45 am
Our constitutional rights are

Our constitutional rights are not something a few whining liberals should have control over as a whim.

Fact after Fact and even the senate staffs have come forward. Several key politicians that supported and even started the proposed GUN BAN admitted the failed proposal would have NOT have had any effect on stopping the several mentally ill shooters over the last 20 years.

We have literally 100's of federal Gun Laws already on the books none of these stopped a crime.

We have literally 1000's of state Gun Laws already on the books none of these stopped a crime.

Liberals need to learn the definition of Criminal.A person that demonstrates a disregard of laws established by his society for personal gain or pleasure.

Interesting note:
New Zealand BANNED FIREARMS
and had a 23% raise in Armed robberies the next year.

Also look over The

TEN MYTHS ABOUT GUN CONTROL

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/03/13 - 08:21 am
Background

I am a little nervous about these background checks. Is there a central database somewhere that has information about my medical history, including whether I have received counseling from a psychologist or psychiatrist? Will those counseling visits show up as mental illness and trigger a flag to keep me from buying a firearm? If a doctor has prescribed muscle relaxants, stress relieving pharmaceuticals, anti-depressants, ADHD drugs, etc., will that prevent me from purchasing a firearm?

How intrusive are these background checks? Should a gun seller have access to my medical records?

It's kind of scary to me.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/03/13 - 08:24 am
Fedex...do you think

Fedex...do you think terrorists and the mentally ill should be denied the right to vote? Who decides which mental illness is a disqualifier for which Constitutional rights?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 05/03/13 - 08:35 am
Why would the liberals in

Why would the liberals in Washington waste all their time and effort to pass more laws, when they don't enforce the ones we have now? Also their new law that would have done NOTHING to stop events like the one that triggered the new law. Everything with Liberals is emotion and politics.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/03/13 - 08:46 am
Dispelling lies

The opening line is a outright lie.
ALL gun sales by any FFL dealer MUST BE Back Ground Check'd.

As liberal you have an image to uphold, as a well informed EDUCATED PERSON.
So why as a semi-right wing conservative, I read and know the USC & OCGA laws and ATF reg's and you don't?

Your second statement had me wondering IF you could be trusted with a Firearm or could pass a Background check?

May I suggest you educate yourself.
Learn about the real facts and quit drinking just the liberal kool-aide. A mix drink will open your mind and eyes.

Your "media canned stab" at the NRA is often used.

Let us take out the "NRA" and insert
Avoided Parenthood,
Media matters,
Move ON.
N.O.W. and dozens of others.
like Earth 1st.

As you can see Gun Owners have 1 voice to protect our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

While Liberals waste no $$$$$ and effort attacking the constitution.

Enclosing I would recommend you follow your parents advice that they likely gave to you as a kid.

Be your own person, just because a group of friends are doing it or saying it doesn't mean it right or something is wrong.

So do some honest data research on your own, and develop you own opinions.

Don't just recite comments that others have made for you to use.
There is no need to fit in with a group, if you must compromise your self thinking intelligence.

To your own self be true.

BTW: Have you read the 10 myths of gun control?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 05/03/13 - 08:38 am
More importantly, WHO decides

More importantly, WHO decides a person is mentally ill. Would being a member of the Tea Party or a Christian make a person mentally ill. We can see where this would lead.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 05/03/13 - 08:46 am
If you pass even more laws...

to try and stop mentaly unstable and felons from buying firearms they will work just as well as the ones that have already been passed. What part of this equation do you gun control proponents not get? THEY DON'T CARE!!!!! Luckily for people like you there are people like me that are willing to be responsible gun owners so that if the time ever comes that a mentaly unstable or criminal attacks you in public I can pull my concealed weapon and defend you, even though it seems to go against your beliefs....SMH

karradur
karradur 05/03/13 - 08:57 am
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time...

...with the blood of innocents.

I've heard children from Newtown, Connecticut have particularly nutritious blood.

If we had less restrictive gun laws, we could have allowed the children to concealed-carry handguns.

Maybe those My First Rifles from Crickett Firearms that the 5-year-old in Kentucky used to kill his 2-year-old sister.

The company's website has been dismantled as of this morning.

I can't imagine why a child shouldn't have a .22 caliber rifle in one of twenty fun colors.

I'm sorry, I thought this was America!

karradur
karradur 05/03/13 - 08:56 am
If we outlaw drugs...

...only outlaws will have drugs.

Drug laws don't work. Felons and the mentally unstable shouldn't have drugs, but they have them anyway. So why do we have the laws at all? I think it's ridiculous that the government can tell me what I can and can't put in my body.

oldfella
oldfella 05/03/13 - 09:06 am
Well, if the bill prohibits it, we're fine then!

"Congratulations to all you who fell for the lie that a very watered-down bill, asking for basic background checks, would somehow create a federal gun registry (even though the bill specifically prohibited the creation of such a registry.)"

That's a relief, because our government would never go back on their word or find a loophole. BTW the government said they are giving me five million in gold bars and my very own unicorn ranch, and I can't wait!

UPDATE! They say I now owe them ten million and PETA is suing me for felony unicorn abuse.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/03/13 - 09:10 am
Several Years Ago

When I was a kid, I read comic books. Many of the comic books had advertisements in them. One of the advertisements was an invitation to sell Christmas cards. I sent a letter requesting the material. Don't overlook this detail — I was ten years old. By return mail I received a demonstration booklet of beautiful Christmas card designs, and the gimmick was that the cards were personalized.

I walked for miles knocking on doors in my suburban middle-classs neighborhood. I remember it was early fall. Many people looked at the book and ordered Christmas cards, not knowing me at all. There was a form for the purchaser to fill out detailing what card designs they wanted and what personalization they wanted inside their cards. I mailed the forms back to the company.

The printed cards came back to my house by mail, and I walked them to the houses and exchanged them for the money promised. Then, my mother put the money into the family checking account and wrote the check to the Christmas card company. A week or so later a booklet arrived detailing what gifts I could choose for the amount of cards I sold. For the number of cards I sold I chose a sleeping bag and a single-shot, bolt-action .22 caliber rifle. Both of those items arrived by mail a couple of weeks later. Both were functional and of good quality. I kept them many years.

That wasn't really too long ago in years, but it was an eternity in terms of our moral decline to today.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/03/13 - 09:12 am
Perhaps Lindsey Graham was

Perhaps Lindsey Graham was more interested in preserving the Constitution instead of passing another law that would not have had any impact on any mass shooting. Since there is no provision of maintaining a database of crazy people, and the recent Boston bombing proves our government cannot effectively track terrorists that have been reported to them by two other governments, it seems that the new law would be totally useless EXCEPT to put undue burden on law abiding citizens.

We already have background checks, even at gun shows. The lies about the gun show loophole is just that...a lie. If you buy a gun from a dealer at a gun show you still have to pass a background check. Same thing for "buying online". The gun MUST be shipped to a licensed dealer and you MUST pass a background check before you can pick it up.

Non-gun owners need to do a little research on what already is required to legally purchase a firearm before they clamor for a new law that would not have changed ANYTHING that has happened in the past or will happen in the future.

When you FIRST pass a law that EVERYONE who is locked up, treated in a hospital, or sees a private doctor for ANY kind of mental illness or violence will be put into a database that would be tied to gun purchase background checks, THEN I MIGHT think that the EXISTING background check system might actually accomplish something....no new laws needed.

karradur
karradur 05/03/13 - 09:16 am
@Little Lamb

Did your parents let you keep the ammo with your gun, and did they let you keep the gun in your room?

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 05/03/13 - 09:16 am
This administration has killed more children with drone-launched

Hellfire missiles than all the high-profile mass shooters of recent years, combined. Does that even bother you, or do you simply trust and submit to the State, as long as its chief executive is Team Blue?

And don't get me started on late-term abortions.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/03/13 - 09:17 am
See you sill want a machine gun, ah Humble Angela

FIRST, I AM SO GLAD TO SEE YOU AGAIN !! Please don't go soooo long without telling us !

"t3bledsoe? What is wrong with responsible, law abiding citizens having automatic weapons? Can you give a reason? As for your statement "If the country survived when the first "ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN" was enforced then let us try it again !" The same can be said for when slavery was legal....If you are willing to give up your rights, just because we survived it before, what other rights are you willing to give up?"

I see you have come back and "WOW" HAVE YOU COME BACK !!

Yes, I do think that regular citizen SHOULD NOT be allowed to own "automatic weapons" !

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/03/13 - 09:25 am
T3bledsoe. Why?

T3bledsoe. Why?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/03/13 - 09:27 am
NOT even going to try to keep up with you, HA !

Can't even try to keep up with HA today ! Just glad you are back !

By the way, did you happen to read my last LTE printed on Apr. 1 if I am not mistaken.