Consider Swiss defense

Victor Reilly (“Solve gun rights problem,” April 17) and many others really should have a civics lesson. Title 10 of the U.S. Code spells out that all males between the ages of 17 and 45 are in the “reserve militia,” or “unorganized militia.” Mr. Reilly either is in, or has been in, the militia, depending on his age.

The writings of our Founding Fathers make it very plain that arms were to be kept for the specific use of keeping our government from becoming despotic. If we had been keeping with that aspect, we would have access to every arm the government now has, depending on whether or not we could afford them.

Personally, I like the Swiss model, in which every young man age 18 goes into military for two years’ active duty. When he is released from active duty and goes into the reserves, he takes his military assault rifle (a real one, capable of both semi- and fully automatic) and ammunition home with him. Whenever he is called up for drills or for real, he is required to show up with both the rifle and ammunition. Members of crew-served weapons (machine guns, mortars, etc.) also have to keep the man-carried parts of the weapons at home.

The Swiss still have respect for each other, and don’t have a crying need to control others in their society.

David Smith

Grovetown

karradur
karradur 05/02/13 - 11:35 am
Well, honestly...

...I don't think anyone should have nuclear weapons.

karradur
karradur 05/02/13 - 11:35 am
Well, honestly...

...I don't think anyone should have nuclear weapons.

burninater
burninater 05/02/13 - 11:40 am
This LTE has a key fact wrong

This LTE has a key fact wrong about Swiss gun policy. Since 2007, military ammunition is NOT stored at private residences, but is registered and stored by the Swiss gov't, to be issued if active duty is required.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 11:48 am
OK. You are allowed to have

OK. You are allowed to have that belief. So can you give a reason why a responsible, law abiding citizen should not be allowed to own an automatic weapon?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 12:30 pm
No takers on a very simple

No takers on a very simple question?

burninater
burninater 05/02/13 - 12:58 pm
If I demonstrate that I

If I demonstrate that I implement the exact same or better controls as the government does, what reason would you have to deny me nuclear weapons?
-------
That's an easy one. You would be an independent entity with the capacity to inflict grievous harm to the United States, and therefore a threat to national security.

burninater
burninater 05/02/13 - 01:04 pm
However, that raises an

However, that raises an interesting issue. Is the President maintaining his/her oath to defend the Constitution, if in so doing he gives private citizens the capacity to grievously harm and/or destroy the nation formed by that Constitution?

After all, the real intent of the Constitution is to create a nation, not a document.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 01:09 pm
"You would be an independent

"You would be an independent entity with the capacity to inflict grievous harm to the United States, and therefore a threat to national security."

Again....why would you trust the government more than the governed?

That document is what keeps the government from taking your rights....and THAT is what forms a nation of free people.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 01:10 pm
Our President doesn't seem

Our President doesn't seem concerned with individual entities with the capacity to grievously harm or destroy this nation. That's why his red line in the sand keeps moving.

burninater
burninater 05/02/13 - 01:11 pm
I am well aware that the

I am well aware that the government does background checks on their techs. I have had several of those background checks run.
-------
I hope you are now in the private sector, or work the night shift.

I'd hate to think that our tax dollars are paying for all-day posting stints ...

And to nip it in the bud, I'm private sector -- my downtime postings are on the private dime.

burninater
burninater 05/02/13 - 01:13 pm
Again....why would you trust

Again....why would you trust the government more than the governed?
------
Because the gov't is not an individual. No amounts of guaranteed safeguards by an individual can model the safeguards created by requiring force authorizations to come from multiple entities, as is required in gov't.

burninater
burninater 05/02/13 - 01:14 pm
That's why his red line in

That's why his red line in the sand keeps moving.
------
?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 01:38 pm
Don't tell me you didn't hear

Don't tell me you didn't hear him say that Syria using chemical weapons would be a "line in the sand."

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 01:38 pm
No attempt to answer the

No attempt to answer the question as to why we shouldn't have automatic weapons?

burninater
burninater 05/02/13 - 01:48 pm
How does Syria using chemical

How does Syria using chemical weapons in Syria constitute a threat to American national security?

RMSHEFF
19881
RMSHEFF 05/02/13 - 01:50 pm
Humble

You won't get an answer...at least not one that makes any sense. Liberalism is not rational just emotion.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 02:02 pm
Well....given the apparent

Well....given the apparent lack of security with immigration, and the fact that Syria has chemical weapons, and are willing to use them on their own people, what makes you think they can't get them here? And why wouldn't they try, knowing that we have a leader who demonstrates that all he will do is give them a stern talking to?

AGAIN....no attempt to give a reason why I should not be allowed to own automatic weapons?

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 05/02/13 - 02:06 pm
Answer

I don’t think anyone should be allowed to own any automatic weapons, because I do not see the purpose in them, over say, a standard pistol or revolver, but that is my opinion. My compromise is that anyone who wants to own an automatic weapon or weapon capable of producing large amounts of ammuntion release in a short period of time, be required to pass both a personality test that assesses high risk personality disorders as well as a physical profiency test that demonstrates the user is capable of firing such a weapon. On a related side note, I feel the standards for a motor vehicles license should be higher as well. Again, it won’t eliminate accidents, but one would imagine it would greatly reduce them.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 02:12 pm
I don't think anyone should

I don't think anyone should be allowed to own a Lexus because I don't see the purpose in them, over say a Camry. My compromise is that anyone who wants to own a Lexus be required to pass a test that they will use it responsibly.

You see....whether or not YOU see a need for something does NOT alter the fact that they have a constitutional right to it.

Do you support personality tests to be allowed to vote? You can certainly cause great damage with irresponsible voting.

RMSHEFF
19881
RMSHEFF 05/02/13 - 02:19 pm
Good point Humble

As I said...all emotion and no rational thinking. Go back and count the times they use "I Feel" They use feeling and not facts.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 02:22 pm
I don't feel that there is a

I don't feel that there is a use for Catholicism over say.... Judaism. My compromise is that I will allow people to worship Christ after they have passed a test about his life.

No less absurd than denying any other right simply because you don't understand why someone wants that right.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 05/02/13 - 02:36 pm
Splitting Hairs

Incidentally, a Camry and a Lexus ES 350 is largely in part the same car. One is just a little flashier. So it’s funny to me that you selected the two to compare for your example. Or if that was your intention, I am not sure, but I digress. Constitutionally, you have the right to keep and bear arms, but I can split hairs too and say that the constitution does not provide for a specific type of arms. In theory, a bowie knife could be construed as sufficient and in accordance with the constitution. The point is that I stated my opinion, which I did not expect you to agree with. I also provided what I believe to be a legitimate solution to a problem. Secondarily, I did answer your question, which you insisted someone should answer. And in regards to voting, I do support a test that determines one’s civic awareness to determine voting capability, but not a personality test. In large, there are too many unqualified voters (I could probably go on for days). A personality test works better in regards to weapons, because a schizophrenic poses a greater risk to the public with a weapon than inside of a polling booth.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 05/02/13 - 02:46 pm
Facts

Ok, since you know how “I feel”; here are the “facts” to support it. Driving related deaths affect the 16-19 year old age group more so than any other age groups. Solution, make 18 the minimum age for obtaining a permit, with two years of supervised professionally accredited training (hour requirements). And make 20, the minimum age for obtaining a state issued driver’s license. Then 16-19 year old driving related fatalities decrease. This factual logic can be universally applied across a wide range of subject matter.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 02:47 pm
It wasn't an accident that I

It wasn't an accident that I chose a Lexus and a Camry. An AR15 and an M-4 assault rifle have much the same similarities.

Where in the Constitution does it say that the government can restrict what kind of arms I can have....is it in the same part where it says they can restrict the denomination of religion I can observe? In theory, Baptist could be construed as sufficient in accordance with the constitution.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/02/13 - 02:53 pm
Fact: Over 240,000 machine

Fact: Over 240,000 machine guns are registered in the US.

Fact: NONE of them were used in the commission of a crime in the last 10 years. (probably longer, but that's as far as I looked.)

Hooray for RFK
Hooray for RFK 05/02/13 - 02:53 pm
"What I asked for was a

"What I asked for was a REASON I should not be allowed to own an automatic weapon.....all you gave me were your opinions."

Unless you live in the Gaza Strip or something where terrorists are known to attack pretty much EVERYDAY you do not need that kind of firepower. Until recently I only read about Aks, M-16s, etc in books about COMBAT. If you can defend yourself with a rifle or pistol you don't need a gun.

Hooray for RFK
Hooray for RFK 05/02/13 - 02:56 pm
You want an assault weapon

You want an assault weapon join the military and volunteer for combat.

There are limits to all our rights. I don't see why people seem to think we should have latitude regarding the Second Amendment.

And second, what would a few people with assault rifles do if the government actual became fascist? Dent the armor of the attack choppers? After all, if the Second Amendment is really about defending ourselves against the government, then shouldn't all Americans have access to the weapons that would be necessary? RPGs and tanks for everyone!!

Darby
Darby 05/02/13 - 04:02 pm
Angela...

you are going to have to buy plutonium for the both of us. I just checked and the going rate exceeds $5300 per gram.

Breaking my piggy bank won't be enough to do the job.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/02/13 - 06:01 pm
Reading All The Comments

on this topic makes me want to say, Thanks to those that have spoken all my words of intelligence on the gun issue. Now you have those that run their brain in the same way as this......

An illegal immigrant trying to cross into US got hung up on the razor wire at the Mexican border and had to be rescued. Now the mainstream media and our great liberal leaders, when covered the issue stated, "that a "Suspected" Illegal immigrant had to be rescued off the fence at the border. That mindset pretty will covers some of the unbelievable comments made by some.

Angela, "And incidentally, large numbers of schizophrenics pose a HUGE threat at the polling booth."

That is a proven Fact.....look at what American has for a CIC!

Darby
Darby 05/02/13 - 08:15 pm
"the constitution does not provide

for a specific type of arms. In theory, a bowie knife could be construed as sufficient and in accordance with the constitution."

The writer both made a point and then refuted it in the same sentence.

He's right, the Constitution DOES NOT specify. The Constitution simply, and beautifully I might add, states that the right to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed.

That simplicity, in all it's glory has been confounding liberals since the birth of liberty in these United States.

They can't go over it, they can't go under it, they can't go around it and it drives them absolutely nuts.

If the founders had intended to limit free Americans to "keep and bear a *Bowie knife" then they would have stated so in the Second Amendment. Of course, the Constitution would have failed at ratification had that been the case.

* That would have been an amazing feat by our founders in any case, given that Jim Bowie who died at the Alamo, had not been born when the Second Amendment was written. As prescient as our founders were, that may just be a bridge too far.

Don't you just hate it when facts and/or logic get in the way of an agenda driven by emotion and "feelings"?