Enhance power of prayer

What: The National Day of Prayer citywide gathering, cosponsored by Mayor Deke Copenhaver and the South Augusta Pastors Alliance.

Where: Sacred Heart Cultural Center, 1301 Greene St.

When: 7 p.m. Thursday, May 2

Why: To pray faith-filled and earnest prayer in unity and humility to our Father in heaven.

Who: Everyone – regardless of color, creed, church or denomination – who loves God and who believes that He really hears and answers humble and unified prayers that are prayed in faith.

Why should people gather together and pray? The answer is simple: Prayer really works. God really does hear and answer faith-filled prayers. We know this is true because Jesus taught clearly about prayer in the Bible and because we actually have seen with our own eyes the miraculous answers to many prayers. Yes, God is on the move!

Prayer brings transformation because faith-filled prayer effectively invites God into any situation, even those that seem impossible. When God is there and has been requested to take action, something unpredictable is going to happen. It is not rocket science. When God’s people gather together, especially when they are in unity, and when they humble themselves and pray, God will hear their prayers and heal their land (II Chronicles 7:14, Mark 11:23).

The National Day of Prayer is an ideal opportunity for much prayer, unity and blessing from God. The founders of our nation knew this very well, and prayed frequently and diligently that God would guide and prosper their efforts. It is of historical note that the Continental Congress first established the National Day of Prayer in 1775. In 1952, Congress approved a joint resolution that set aside a day each year specifically to acknowledge the important place held by the ongoing tradition of prayer within our nation.

In the uncertain days ahead it is very possible that we will all be needing more help – grace – from our Heavenly Father. Let us do our part to invite God back into any situation or issue from which He has been “uninvited.” Let us join together to pray for our nation and for the city of Augusta. Come to Sacred Heart Cultural Center this Thursday evening and be part of that prayerful action!

(The writer is writing on behalf of the South Augusta Pastors Alliance.)

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 04/30/13 - 10:10 pm
I myself, will be

I myself, will be participating in the National Day of Reason. Just suggesting an alternative for anyone who doesn't have an invisible friend who lives in the sky.

karradur
karradur 05/01/13 - 05:18 am
...

I guess those Boston marathon runners just didn't pray hard enough.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/01/13 - 05:25 am
GAD, an alternative to the

GAD, an alternative to the National Day of Prayer is fine....I'm all for it but why do you have to include sarcasm in your post. Why couldn't you just say....hey let's have something for those who don't believe in God or prayer....HE is not invisible, you just have scales over your eyes and you don't even know it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/01/13 - 05:34 am
karradur, "I guess those

karradur,

"I guess those Boston marathon runners just didn't pray hard enough"

And what exactly would they be praying for and who's to say they prayed at all. If you are insinuating that the bombing occurred and the death and injuries occurred because someone didn't pray hard enough goes to show you really don't know my God.

God does not cause evil and He does not prevent every evil thing from happening. But you can be assured, He will make good out of this evil that has happened and His Name will be glorified in the end. If you wish God to stop evil then he has to stop all evil. In order to do that He has to remove man's free will and thoughts......are you ready to give up doing what you want to do even when you know it's wrong and trust him?

soapy_725
soapy_725 05/01/13 - 05:56 am
Very important ommission

"turn from their wicked ways" When God’s people gather together, especially when they are in unity, and when they humble themselves and pray, God will hear their prayers and heal their land (II Chronicles 7:14, Mark 11:23).

Prayer must be in accordance with God's Will. God is not Santa Claus.

If I regard sin in my heart, He will not hear me.

When the king does evil, the nation suffers.

soapy_725
soapy_725 05/01/13 - 06:09 am
Prayer List for ARC.

More tax revenue.
More overpriced construction projects in the CBD.
More government owned property in the CBD.
A miracle at Regency Mall.
Less scrutiny and involvement by the taxpayers.
More tax revenue.
Less request under the Freedom of Information Act.
More pay raises for Chiefs and none for the Indians.
More government committees and sub committees.
Fewer moral and ethical requirements for government officials.
More tax revenue.
More concrete and asphalt.
More under the table contracts.
A new baseball stadium.
Four more art presentation centers.
A bridge over troubled waters for Reynolds Street.
A new crown for Deke.
A larger wallet for Azziz.
A stretch Escalade for Roundtree.
Let the Light from the Lighthouse shine on us. But not too bright.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/01/13 - 07:47 am
Revalation

I stated in the other LTE today that I do not attend church. I did not say that I don't believe. And; YES; prayer is necessary in order to communicate with GOD.

As a side note: I believe The Book of Revalation IS NOT WHAT WILL HAPPEN, but what may happen if humans DON'T CHANGE !! My wife takes offence at this believe, but I believe A TRUE LOVING GOD would give man-kind a chance to change before The Book of Revalation comes to pass !

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/01/13 - 08:00 am
ICE, there was a hint of

ICE, there was a hint of sarcasm to my post, but I don't believe it was over the top. "Sarcasm is merely the truth with the volume turned up" a great man once said. It's tough sometimes being in the minority. Before I moved to the CSRA, my best friend in the whole world was an Assembly of God minister. We got along great and kidded each other and each one of us would admit when the other was right. But one day in all seriousness he said, "You know athiests are a small, small minority. But if someday they become the majority, I hope they treat us better than we treated them".

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/01/13 - 09:20 am
T3 stated " I believe A TRUE

T3 stated " I believe A TRUE LOVING GOD would give man-kind a chance to change before The Book of Revalation comes to pass !"

What do you think HE is doing every day? God gives man-kind chances day after day after day and we still refuse to change. This TRUE LOVING GOD sent His Son to die for us and we continue to deny Him day after day after day.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/01/13 - 09:23 am
GAD, ICE?? Are you speaking

GAD, ICE?? Are you speaking to me?

Sarcasm.....I guess it depends on who's "Truth" you follow.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 05/01/13 - 11:01 am
No problem at all with reason

I'd love to see you prove gravity exists or give a halfway reasonable explanation about when and why Schrödinger's cat is alive or dead. Or perhaps one of you might tell us how come position x and momentum p, can't be known simultaneously?

If you are so certain there is no little "friend in the sky", why do you just explain some simple and basic, like why life exists instead of a there being nothing more than a collection of inanimate, insentient carbon arrangements that incorporates various other elements and water. I'd really like to hear that one. (And the electric shock theory doesn't cut it, for any number of well-known reasons.)

The bottom line is that every single one of us takes certain things "on faith": We have no explanation about why most things are the way they are.

It is nothing more than arrogance, and blind arrogance at that, to think that we, with our limited capacity to perceive much less comprehend the reality in which we mostly drift, can simply flick away transcendent reality because we don't understand it and are too dense or lazy to investigate it seriously and with an open mind (remember what that is?).

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/01/13 - 11:09 am
Jump off a cliff and well see

Jump off a cliff and well see if gravity exists. I am not certain about the sky friend. Certainty means 100%. I can safely say the probability is very very low.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/01/13 - 11:12 am
And by the way, I sure am

And by the way, I sure am glad that cancer researchers and other scientists only go on what they can test and observe. Feelings are not facts. I've cried during movies. Doesn't mean the movie was true.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/01/13 - 11:40 am
Fiat

I read your post a second time just to make sure. You know what? You could be a Mormon! I'm sure they would love to have you.

burninater
burninater 05/01/13 - 01:12 pm
Said FiatLux: "I just find

Said FiatLux: "I just find the arrogance often associated with those who cling only to what they can observe and explain rather sad."
-------
I just find rather sad the arrogance often associated with those who cling to the literal truth of a collection of folklore, even when it is directly contradicted by the evidence of the actual Creation. The Bible is a work of man. The universe is the work of the Creator. Those who reject the evidence of the universe where it contradicts Scripture are worshipping man, not the Creator.

Furthermore, it is BEYOND arrogant to hold the delusion that an individual "flicks away" transcendent reality simply because they do not believe Biblical folklore to be literally true. Biblical folklore has never been, and never will be, the final and only possible representation of transcendent reality.

To the extent that it directly refutes the actual evidence in the Creation, the Bible raises doubts that taking it as literal truth imparts any accuracy in terms of transcendent reality.

burninater
burninater 05/01/13 - 01:55 pm
Fiat's admonition to remember

Fiat's admonition to remember what an "open mind" is is a further peculiarity. It is difficult to see where the "open mindedness" exists in a belief system that holds that what one is to believe is dictated as infallible messages from divine sources.

myfather15
myfather15 05/01/13 - 02:57 pm
Why are you guys so angry?

What is the underlying reason for your anger? Please tell me you aren't this angry simply because a group of people want to hold a prayer?

The overwhelming majority of what you gusy say about the Bible is complete non-sense. You have ZERO understanding of it; to include the ability to discern when the Bible is using symbology and when you take the text literally. God uses symbology to teach us many lessons; because when you understand the symbology and nature of it; it becomes so much more clear.

But I won't get into a Bible deep Bible lesson at this time. All I want to know is WHY you can't just let the VAST amount of people have their day and leave them alone? Why do you feel the need to come on here and make fun of and demean Christians?

When they hold their "Gay Pride" events in Augusta and elsewhere; you don't see Christians coming on here and making fun and demeaning them. Oooh, but to you guys; simply disagreeing with their lifestyle is demeaning them. Just like Sean Moores said yesterday about comments; some people believe just because we post a different opinion, we are being insulting. Usually it's the left with this intolerence of others opinions. I've never reported a single comment on here. Why? Because I've work the streets, I've been called much worse to my face, trust me; I can handle peoples pathetic insults.

But it always amazes me that the LP's of the world are always the ones claiming the RIGHT are intolerent bigots; yet they are the ones constantly PROVING their intolerence with their ACTIONS.

"By their fruits, ye shall know them." Trust me, we DO know them.

burninater
burninater 05/01/13 - 03:46 pm
Myfather, for the record, I

Myfather, for the record, I have zero anger with Christianity. Where my "anger" lies is with two beliefs held by some religious practitioners, and I know many Christians who share this same "anger": 1) the denial of scientific evidence where it contradicts a literal translation of texts of ANY religion -- not just the Bible; 2) the belief that if someone is not Christian, they therefore have no spiritual or moral belief.

My post addressed those two points, but in no way impugned prayer, or Christianity as a whole. I don't think Fiat was not conveying the first point in his/her post, but it is a common point of discussion on these forums. His post DID convey the second point, and I addressed that directly.

myfather15
myfather15 05/01/13 - 03:48 pm
Which literal translation of

Which literal translation of the Bible does science directly contradict? Please explain. Also, tell me exactly where science and the Bible disagree.

burninater
burninater 05/01/13 - 03:48 pm
Generally speaking, the

myfather15
myfather15 05/01/13 - 03:49 pm
Thats NOT specific; please be

Thats NOT specific; please be more detailed.

burninater
burninater 05/01/13 - 04:01 pm
Origin of the universe, age

Origin of the universe, age of the earth, evolution and speciation, radioactive decay, biologic atmospheric perturbation, climate response to biologic activity, geologic chronology, geomorphology, plate tectonics, to name a specific few.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/01/13 - 04:01 pm
I'm with you myfather15, I'd

I'm with you myfather15, I'd like burninater to explain where the bible is contradicted? There are a number of areas where it has been reported there are contradictions but after the Word is studied and explained (viewing context, culture, and history) it has been found that there really is not a contradiction......just a misunderstand of the Word.

myfather15
myfather15 05/01/13 - 04:04 pm
Burn, I assumed age of the

Burn, I assumed age of the earth was probably the major issue you had. Simply do me a favor in your argument; search the Bible and tell me exactly where is says the earth is 6000-9000 years old. I'll even help you with a great tool to research with.

burninater
burninater 05/01/13 - 04:04 pm
...after the Word is studied

...after the Word is studied and explained (viewing context, culture, and history) ...
------
I fully agree with that in principle, ICL. But if the conclusion is, as some maintain, a 6500-yr-old Earth with a global flood and no evolution, an entire cascade of denial of scientific evidence and theory becomes necessary.

If, rather, various aspects of Genesis are viewed as metaphor, parable, and allegory, there is no contradiction.

burninater
burninater 05/01/13 - 04:10 pm
myfather, it doesn't say it.

myfather, it doesn't say it. And many Christians respect the evidence for a 4+ billion-yr-old Earth. My comments are not directed to them, and I took pains to express that.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/01/13 - 04:10 pm
"Origin of the universe, age

"Origin of the universe, age of the earth"

Those who do not know Christ fail to understand and place God in a box defined by our human knowledge and parameters of logic. Since Almighty God created the universe and everything in it, cause it to rain enough over the course of 40 days to cover the earth, raise His Son from the dead, divided the Red Sea and the Jordan River so his children could cross.....why do some not understand that he controls the "radioactive decay, biologic atmospheric perturbation, climate response to biologic activity, geologic chronology, geomorphology, plate tectonics"

Man measures time according to what we understand.....God does not. If radioactive decay takes "x" amount of time according to human measurement.....God can do it in a blink of an eye.

burninater
burninater 05/01/13 - 04:15 pm
Yes ICL -- I agree that your

Yes ICL -- I agree that your interpretation can fully coexist with science, and, again, I took pains to establish that my comments about the denial of science is not a characteristic shared by all Christians. In my 4:46, I even point out that I know Christians that share my frustration on this point.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/01/13 - 06:59 pm
So you agree that your

So you agree that your comment is just an opinion and not based on any fact. For in fact we have no way of knowing if Genesis is 7 days as we humans measure time or if it was literally 7 days based on God's definition of a day. But the fact is we do know it was 7 days....I fail to see a contradiction.

"Generally speaking, the literal translation of Genesis directly contradicts unifying and well-documented bodies of work in biology, geology, and physics (specifically cosmology)."

burninater
burninater 05/01/13 - 07:11 pm
So you agree that your

So you agree that your comment is just an opinion and not based on any fact.
------
?

It is a fact that there are Christians who believe the Earth is ~6500 human years old, based on what they believe is a literal reading of the Bible, including Genesis.

That is what my comment was based on.

If it is decided that "7 days" is not literally 7 human days, but 7 God "days" of unknown length, some would argue that is a figurative reading.

At the very least it is subject to interpretation, because "day" is no longer a precisely defined amount of time.

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.