Americans too immature

Do you ever get the feeling that we Americans are some of the most selfish, self-centered and immature brats who ever lived? I am not claiming to be guilt-free, but look at our national situation as a whole!

We have supposed “leaders” in Washington, D.C., who will not agree to take care of our own in the form of health-care reform. But they continue, well over 10 years, to send U.S. troops into harm’s way and to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on two unnecessary wars in countries that are reported to have very corrupt governments!

We probably have a large percentage of the richest, most powerful people in the world, yet these brats are the very Americans who are sending our jobs, and perhaps our very future stability, to other countries! At what point in unemployment and underemployment will these so-called “Americans” understand the very real damage they are causing to the very country they call home?

The overwhelming majority of us are not guilt-free, either. When are the parents and grandparents of our generation going to understand that you cannot always treat yourselves and little Johnny and Sue to every brand-new doodad that comes along? There probably are millions of Americans who are absolutely so immature in their finances that they have very little savings, yet they treat themselves to every monthly billing service amenity available!

I believe I heard on the national news that the U.S. government is technically in debt to China by more than $300 billion. I truly pray the rampant selfishness, self-centeredness, and gross immaturity in our nation will subside before we all are totally indebted to foreign powers!

Timothy Monroe Bledsoe

North Augusta, S.C.

carcraft
carcraft 04/29/13 - 05:51 am
I guess should have surrendered to the Terrorists in Afganistan

I guess destroying Ben Laden's base and support in Afganistan was unnecssary? Give me a break! We are indebt to foreign countries because we have law makers who do not want us to develope our own energy and regulate manufacturing to the smallest degree. We have parents that won't raise their kids. We give unmarried women welfare checks to have babies so we get more babies on welfare...America can compete but every time we turn around the idiots in Washington are throwing spikes and nails in our path. The Latest thing to over come is Obama care. It is adding taxes to salaries etc. So yes "spoiled Brats" are sending jobs over seas because things like Obama care make it to expensive to produce in America, because people won't get off their rear ends and take responsiblity for them selves, they want big government to give, give, give. Well Government can't give unless it takes away from some one else first! What a stupid letter! You voted for Obama and this is what you get, a trillion dollars a year in new deficits and I haven't seen him cut the deficit yet dispite his promise!

myfather15
myfather15 04/29/13 - 05:53 am
300 Billion??

Try 1. 2 TRILLION on for size.

While I can't completely disagree with everything in this letter; it appears on the surface as nothing more than another "America is bad, everyone else is good" article.

If you don't learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it. We've learned from history that villian dictator's left unrestrained; will eventually do harm to other Countries, especially those around that Country. If we didn't learn from Mao, Hitler, Mousilini and Hussein; just to name a few, what will it take for us to learn? These people committed genocide against their own people. Killing THOUSANDS at a time and overall millions.

If you're naive enough to believe if left unfettered, this would NEVER spill over to this Country; all I can say is I'm glad people like you weren't in charge during those days. We were attacked on 9/11 and we did nothing to provoke this attack; besides being a free nation. Yes, I've heard all the liberal jargon about why 9/11 was a direct results of OUR actions (Besides, everything bad is our fault to LP's). But the FACT is regardless of what we've done, this was coming. Why? Because we are dealing with RADICAL people who possess a RADICAL view of their religion.

Liberals typically describe conservatives as bigots, racists, sexists, homophobes, etc. But it just isn't true; not a single one of them is accurate. But you know who it is accurate for? RADICAL ISLAMISTS. All those adjectives perfectly describe the radical islamists; yet, very rarely if ever will you hear a liberal use those words to describe radical islamists. BUT, they will certainly hurle them with furious force at their fellow Countrymen; anytime a conservative disagrees with them. So why is it; without the slightest shred of evidence, they will call conservatives those names? But with all the evidence, they simple will not call radical islamists what they really are?

But, the radical islamists give them PLENTY of evidence; by stoning homosexuals and cutting their heads off, stoning women who have committedd adultry or fornication; ON VIDEO mind you, blatantly killing anyone NOT muslim, making women wear pieces of cloth over their faces and this list could go on and on. These people are INSANE I tell you!! But the left completely ignores them, and even refuses to call them terrorists. Instead, turning their attention to their fellow Countrymen who might have a few policy disagreements with them. Does this make any sense????

It makes absolutely zero common sense; UNLESS they have one thing in common, which is that both groups believe AMERICA to be the ultimate evil in the world. An evil that MUST be changed; for the good of the world. But they could never change it by force, so they've changed it from within, from the inside out. They've had one heck of a diversion to keep peoples attention somewhere else while they were working hard from the inside; the war on terror.

BUT, to truly change America they must convince the people that America's founding and history is full of violence and terror; more so than any other Country. This is where the constant bombardment of lying rhetoric comes in. They MUST convince the people therefore when serious unconstitutional change comes to this Country; the people will believe "It had to happen, for the good of the world." Many will believe this non-sense and fall hook, line and sinker for it. MANY will not and will resist furiously. Another reason for gun control; so those peoples ability to defend themselves will be demininshed. People, WAKE UP!! Stop believing their lies of AMERICA IS BAD.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/29/13 - 06:20 am
It was asked "Do you ever get

It was asked "Do you ever get the feeling that we Americans are some of the most selfish, self-centered and immature brats who ever live?"

Not at all....when the US sends over $25 billion a year to foreign countries for aid and there are over 3,000 homeless shelters in the US, I'd say we are a fairly compassionate nation.

When the US spend over $1 Trillion on welfare aid (that was 2011..no telling what it is now), I'd say our nation is not selfish.

In the US alone, we have adopted (in the US alone) over 135,000 children in 2008 (do not have a more current stat on that but my guess is it would be more). Does this not show a compassionate nation.

It was stated "We probably have a large percentage of the richest, most powerful people in the world, yet these brats..."

At this point, the letter became a personal grudge against the wealthy and once your resort to name calling, you become just as immature as the ones you are complaining about (IMO).

myfather15
myfather15 04/29/13 - 06:50 am
@ICL

Not to mention that during EVERY major natural disaster in foreign Counties; including Chile, Haiti, and Japan, just to name recent events. American citizens gave more in financial aid that ALL other Countries COMBINED.

But, this compassion doesn't fit with the LP's agenda, I'm telling you it's all about the agenda of demeaning America. We get ZERO credit for the compassion we show, but ALL the blame for anything bad in the world. The LP's will NEVER stop with this, because they DO have an ulitimate agenda to destroy America.

myfather15
myfather15 04/29/13 - 06:53 am
Let me ask you something; If

Let me ask you something; If you by a piece of property with the intentions of building a mansion on it, but the land already has an old worn down house built in 1776; what must you do first?

You must first tear down the old building before you can start construction of the new mansion. This is EXACTLY the LP's goal. They want to build their mansion, but this old building sitting on this land is in their way. They MUST tear down this old building before starting construction of their dream mansion. END OF STORY!!!

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/29/13 - 07:33 am
welfare aid

Bod, I think it something to do with iphones and HD TVs, and, of course, Air Jordans.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 04/29/13 - 07:53 am
No, I mean is that the total

No, I mean is that the total of all private money donated for all combined charitable giving? I have no idea. I can't be federal spending on welfare because the US only spent around $3.6 trillion total in 2011.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/29/13 - 08:22 am
Americans Too Immature

Just wait till the last DOLLAR is printed...then see if Americans are too immature.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/29/13 - 08:36 am
Isn't there at least one or two of you who likes letter ?

That is right, this LTE is from me, surprise ! I can not believe that at least one or two of you can not understand the basic meaning of this LTE! How can ANYONE argue that our jobs are being sent over seas because of the spoiled rich brats that own these companies ??!!

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/29/13 - 08:43 am
Well Tim

They are being sent overseas because gov't taxes, gov't interference, and Union greed.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 04/29/13 - 08:50 am
ICL, I voted up a comment of yours for the first time today.

I still think we're wasting a lot of money on foreign adventurism (the net result of which is always new Islamic republics) and the graft the goes along with having so many strategically meaningless foreign military installations, but we are indeed a compassionate people.

As for those who say "we're in debt to China," let me go over a couple things: anyone can show up at a Treasury option, so it's not just China we've sold notes to. Also, why would any government sink hundreds of billions of dollars into another's debt if it did not have confidence in the performance of those notes? It's exactly what banks and rich people are doing now - playing it safe for 1-2% return rather than risk money elsewhere.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/29/13 - 09:06 am
No surprise t3bledsoe....most

No surprise t3bledsoe....most of us are intelligent enough to have figured it out.

Bod, sorry you are having such a difficult time understanding, it was in plain English but I will try and break it down further for you. The government spent approximately $1.03 trillion on 83 means-tested federal welfare programs in fiscal year 2011 alone, which relates to tax dollars given by US tax payers, to those who the government say are in need (charity), which is the opposite of "selfish".

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 04/29/13 - 09:10 am
t3, I'm guessing you're who voted my comment down,

apparently for no other reason than because I'm not Team Blue all the way.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/29/13 - 09:14 am
Jon Lester, thank you for

Jon Lester, thank you for your comment. At least it shows that we can have major differences of opinions but if you do rarely agree, you are man (or woman) enough to admit you agree. I see my pesty thumbs-down follower didn't like your comment.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/29/13 - 09:51 am
In general he must be talking about his generation

Not mine.

But he does present some points worth researching for better and more accurate data.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/29/13 - 10:02 am
Jon Lester, it wasn't me !

I have ONLY voted thumbs up / down on one contributer, Humbal Angela. I HAVE NOT SEEN HER COMMENT THESE LAST THREE DAYS. Does any body know what is up with her ??

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/29/13 - 10:15 am
Productivity

Letter writer Bledsoe wrote:

Then, commenter Bledsoe posted:

Well, maybe that is why they are rich and powerful. The foreigners are doing the work more profitably.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/29/13 - 10:19 am
Brats

Oh, yes, let us not forget. The owners of corporations are the shareholders of preferred and common stock. Tens of millions of Americans own common stock in large corporations either directly or through mutual funds; either in brokerage accounts or in IRAs, 401(k)s, or other tax deferral plans. That means that those tens of millions of ordinary Americans are the spoiled brats Mr. Bledsoe writes about.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/29/13 - 10:23 am
T3, regarding Humble

T3, regarding Humble Angela....after dealing with dahreese last Thursday and all the ridiculous comments, it's possible she's taken a much needed mental break from here. Can't say I blame her.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/29/13 - 10:45 am
ICL Thanks for your response about HA

I DO NOT AGREE with 90% or greater of what HA comments about. However, I KNOW THAT SHE HAS EVERY RIGHT TO SAY IT !! Just want her to know that I noticed her absence.

harley_52
harley_52 04/29/13 - 11:11 am
Hoo Boy...

It's worse than I thought.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/29/13 - 11:44 am
O.K. Harley_52. What gives ??

What is worse than you thought, my LTE ??

myfather15
myfather15 04/29/13 - 11:53 am
@Tbledsoe

I'm sure she is taking a much needed break from this debate club. Sometimes you won't see me for a couple weeks because it simply gets so mind boggling. I've got to let my noodle rest from time to time. Then I come back stronger than ever.

harley_52
harley_52 04/29/13 - 11:58 am

Your LTE is fine. You are obviously an educated and articulate person AND you have every right to hold and express the opinions you have outlined.

I don't want you to take this wrong, because it's not intended as mean, or insulting, or whatever. But, I honestly cannot understand how you can live in this country and hold those viewpoints, I mean unless you're just trying to throw gasoline on the fire.

Are you serious.....really?

KSL
KSL 04/29/13 - 11:59 am
t3

I understand your letter, and of course, knew it was from you. I get the feeling you are a lot younger than I am.

Nocnoc, I would agree. I did not know affluence when growing up. We were comfortable, ate well, but I go into houses today and see more toys for a two year old than I had my entire life. On that point, I will agree with t3.

The first 5.5 years of my life, my dad was back in school on the GI Bill, the last year teaching at UGA. No doubt, both of my grandfathers chipped in because my mother, a college grad, was a stay at home mother at that point. That was well before the government so-called safety net and when people expected to have to take care of their own needs.

KSL
KSL 04/29/13 - 12:06 pm
t3

Have you noticed that many libs love to equate evil big corporations with Republicans, thus conservatives? Now let us examine GE and its CEO. How about the CEO of Progressive Insurance? Research him. As a matter of fact, someone could do quick research and report back how many wealthy, tax minimizing liberal CEO's there are.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/29/13 - 12:10 pm
Myfather15. We get too hung-up on facts and data !!

I suspect that is the case with HA. I said it before, and I will say it again,"I don't understand the intense gamesmanship !" I don't see the wrong in just stating what one feels and/or believes !! I hope HA; and anybody else that gets brain fatique, will understand commentors don't have the power to change and / or dictate the direction of man-kind !!

KSL
KSL 04/29/13 - 12:11 pm
If Obama thinks the wealthy

If Obama thinks the wealthy need to pay more taxes, why didn't he take the standard deduction on his tax return? After all, he is set for life. Unless he wants to continue to live like a king, or an African Warlord.

KSL
KSL 04/29/13 - 12:13 pm
Lots of people skip

Lots of people skip commenting for several days, especially when they are out of town.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/29/13 - 12:55 pm
T3 stated "Myfather15. We get

T3 stated "Myfather15. We get too hung-up on facts and data !!"

Seriously?? Give me facts and data any day and leave the BS out of it.

T3 stated "I said it before, and I will say it again,"I don't understand the intense gamesmanship !" I don't see the wrong in just stating what one feels and/or believes !!"

No problem in that T3, but you seem to have an issue with commenters posting opposite opinions. Aren't they free to make their statements as well. That's not gamesmanship, that's discussing.

T3 stated "I hope HA; and anybody else that gets brain fatique, will understand commentors don't have the power to change and / or dictate the direction of man-kind !!"

I don't believe HA or anyone else tries to change or dictate mankind.....she along with others just except accurracy, truth, and if it's your OPINION to state it as your opinion and not as fact.