Disarmament is enslavement

In Victor Reilly’s gun-grabbing letter to the editor (“Solve gun rights problem,” April 17), he assures us that the term “militia” had a totally different meaning more than 200 years ago than would be applicable today.

I believe George Mason, a co-author of the Second Amendment, would disagree with him. In 1788, during Virginia’s convention to ratify the Constitution, Mason spoke these words. “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”

Reilly suggests Congress pass a law that “replaces” the Second Amendment. The left is notorious in its disdain for the Constitution, particularly the Bill of Rights. It’s an obstacle to them imposing their will on the masses. Reilly thinks guns must be bought up and transferred to the police and the military.

Someone else once had similar ideas when he said, “This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future.”

Adolf Hitler, chancellor of Germany, 1933.

Bob Waters

Augusta

jack234
jack234 04/25/13 - 06:20 am
Comparing not having a gun to

Comparing not having a gun to being in slavery. Evidently, someone is not aware of the reality of slavery. No wonder it existed so long with people like George Mason around. What was he thinking slavery was?

karradur
karradur 04/25/13 - 06:47 am
Look, I can do it too!

"And Jesus said to his disciples, 'Yea, my children; you shall not own a gun.' And his disciples were in confusion, for they did not know what a gun was."

And THAT'S why people shouldn't own guns, because Jesus said so. Case closed.

...

I'm sorry, I'm being told by our producer that this is not, in fact, how this works.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 07:42 am
Jack.....what you you think

Jack.....what you you think the motive of the Government is to disarm the people? It is proven that it doesn't reduce crime, so what do you think their reason is?

And I'm interested as to how YOU got better insight on the reality of slavery that the rest of us didn't.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 07:44 am
There is no reason to make up

There is no reason to make up quotes, let's use actual quotes.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

chascushman
chascushman 04/25/13 - 08:20 am
“Comparing not having a gun

“Comparing not having a gun to being in slavery.”
After the civil war the states where democrats were in control prohibited blacks from owning a gun.

jack234
jack234 04/25/13 - 08:28 am
Angela

I was only referring to the concept of slavery that George Mason had, not our reality.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/25/13 - 08:40 am
Thank You Mr. Waters

You nailed it.

It was clear from Victor Reilly’s gun-grabbing letter, the Social-Democrats will continue to misinform and plant erroneous information in people minds until they have enough dumb down and confused people to win their point.

CONTROL without the possibility of lawful resistance.

Next they'll be saying the Bill of Rights is "granted" by the Government and needs to be adjusted to meet the "Current America".

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 08:40 am
So there are different

So there are different realities?

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/25/13 - 09:18 am
Of course there are different

Of course there are different realities-for delusional people. Shssssh.

jack234
jack234 04/25/13 - 09:37 am
There are different concepts

There are different concepts of reality. That is why we have mental institutions. I hope this cleared it up for you. If not, keep working on it. Sometimes, wisdom comes with age. Have a good day, I have other fish to fry.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 09:53 am
Sometimes wisdom comes with

Sometimes wisdom comes with age (no comma necessary). Sometimes senility comes with age too. That may explain the different realities. I fail to see how that relates to slavery.

deestafford
deestafford 04/25/13 - 09:55 am
Let's just suffice it to say that two things all dictators do

when they assume power are take away private gun ownership and confiscate private land ownership. Sometimes, as in the case of Hitler, they use preexisting laws, which were passed by the previous government designed to have kept them from owning guns prior to them coming to power, to disarm the population. In essence, Hitler used Weimer Republic laws which were passed to keep the Nazis and Communisits from owning guns to disarm the populace upon his assuming power.

As far as the original Bill of Rights are concerned, each was written to protect individual rights not group or collective rights. During the Founders time there was no concept of "collective rights" in existence as there is in the minds of today's liberals. Liberals are all about the collective good of what is best for society rather than individual freedom. "Sacrifice for the better good'' is their mantra.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 09:55 am
Jack.....just curious. You

Jack.....just curious. You were adamant that the Boston bomber be given due process. Are you ever going to criticize Obama for simply ordering the killing of Anwar al Awlaki? He wasn't given due process?

owensjef3
owensjef3 04/25/13 - 12:17 pm
HA are you a lawyer or you just

HA are you a lawyer or you just like to argue all the time?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 10:10 am
owensjef....I just point out

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 10:12 am
One big inconsistency is the

One big inconsistency is the liberals crying for due process for the Boston bomber, but seem ok that their great leader denied due process for Awlaki.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/25/13 - 10:22 am
Well karradur, here is an

Well karradur, here is an unchallenged quote that applies to the gun ownership situation, political opposition, smokers, soda drinkers, christians, taxPAYERS, and all of the other rights we are surrendering to our oppressive government on a daily basis.

"First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me."

We have turned into the same Nazi "it's not affecting me so let's get them" mentality. If we continue down this road, violent actions and reactions will happen.......as they should.

grouse
grouse 04/25/13 - 10:54 am
Gun registration is no more

Gun registration is no more unconstitutional than libel laws or the prohibition of human sacrifice is to the First Amendment.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/25/13 - 11:12 am
HA you did not back your arguement up with Burninater

"owensjef....I just point out lies and inconsistencies when I see them. I hate seeing the lies that people spread, either intentionally, or because they are misinformed. Let me know if I post something wrong....but be prepared to prove it."

You are always the first to want facts and data to argue a point ! Burninater gave you multi-chances yesterday about sex ed and you always relied on your feelings or your unjustified knowledge. I may not know a lot of facts, but I do know when there is no facts and data used in an argument !

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 11:19 am
t3....I backed my argument

t3....I backed my argument SEVERAL times. When I say something is my opinion, it is just that. I don't present my opinions as if they are facts. It is a FACT that the sex ed. class taught me nothing that I didn't already know. That there are others that learned new things I have no doubt, and I stated such. What statement did I fail to back up?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/25/13 - 11:42 am
HA try this statement

"Ha are a lawyer or you just like to argue all the time?"

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 11:45 am
What? You are asking me to

What? You are asking me to back up someone else's statement?

I'll answer the question.......... Neither.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/25/13 - 11:56 am
I just don't understand to gamesmanship !

Why can't some of us just use this forum as a place to vent or clown arround ?! I never was good at "TERM PAPERS". I never liked "TERM PAPERS". So I don't expect to have to write "TERM PAPERS" to just vent and / or clown arround. Didn't somebody talk about marrijuana just the other day ? Chill, melow-out, AND RESPOND TO YOUR E-MAILS.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 11:58 am
Vent and clown all you

Vent and clown all you want....but if you lie, or present opinions as if they are facts....expect me to call you on it.

karradur
karradur 04/25/13 - 12:11 pm
@dichotomy

"We have turned into the same Nazi "it's not affecting me so let's get them" mentality."

Like gay people?

KSL
KSL 04/25/13 - 12:22 pm
@12:03

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/25/13 - 12:45 pm
Liked this letter, even being a liberal

This letter, though it is probably seen as a soap box for conservs., tells the truth. Take it from me, in my educated opinion, there are probably millions of us libs. that "GETS-IT". We agree that the taking of all guns would be to trust in the government TOTALLY ! Not even us libs. TRUST THE GOVERNMENT ALL OF THE TIME ! I am of the opinion that most libs. just want "THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN" to be inforced again.

KSL
KSL 04/25/13 - 02:09 pm
Bui those are not the guns

But those are not the guns they are going after.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/25/13 - 02:22 pm
What good would the assault

What good would the assault weapons ban do?