News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

What happened to Masters?

I have some youngsters in my home who love to watch SpongeBob SquarePants on television. One of their favorite episodes is the one where SpongeBob’s nemesis Plankton tries to infect the residents of Bikini Bottom by placing some “jerktonium” into their Christmas fruitcakes!

From my viewpoint, it sure looks like Augusta National Golf Club Chairman Billy Payne and PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem have been fooling around with some of Plankton’s jerktonium during Masters Week, and somehow it has gotten into the Masters officials’ pimento cheese sandwiches!

First, a professional golfer who has admitted using an illegal performance-enhancing drug was allowed to play in this year’s Masters!

Then, on Friday afternoon, we all learned of a one-shot penalty assessed on 14-year-old amateur Tianlang Guan on the 17th hole, no less. Can’t these characters get why youngsters are gravitating away from golf courses in droves?

Finally, on Saturday morning, we all learned that Tiger Woods had been assessed a two-stroke penalty because somebody called in and reported that Woods did not drop his ball close enough to the original spot on the 15th hole. Can’t these characters get why about half the people who actually watch golf tournaments and buy golf clubs actually like professional golf?

Really, there has to be a point where the PGA simply disregards these call-ins that currently always necessitate a review by PGA officials after the fact. If somebody called in a perceived foul during the first half of the recent NCAA Final Four, would the NCAA even have taken take the call?

Billy and Tim should please get that jerktonium out of Augusta National and organize a tournament that we golfers, young or old, can be proud of!

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 04/16/13 - 12:48 am
Um, RULES of the game

Tianlang Guan was warned about slow play prior to being penalized. He said that he understood the rules but for whatever reason continued his pace of play.

Eldrick Tont Woods violated a rule, be it intentional or accidental. He was called out on it. There is a Tour rules official at each hole who Tiger could have asked for clarification. He did not. ANGC explained in detail what happened with regard to DQ, penalty...

It's golf. Rules are enforced. Players call penalties on themselves. Oh look, honor's involved. It is obvious that the letter writer has no understanding of the game or its rules or its code, but chose to submit this letter and put that ignorance on display. All I'll say is, I wish other sports were governed in a fashion similar to golf.

allhans
allhans 04/16/13 - 09:18 am
Nothing wrong here. Follow

Nothing wrong here. Follow the rules.

What about the golfers waiting behind Guan while he puts on a show for the cameras???
And then the theatrics of Tiger..my, my...

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/13 - 09:36 am
Ya wrong Ohio

about this..
who love to watch SpongeBob SquarePants

We love the tunamint....best show in town...get a different sammich.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/16/13 - 09:59 am
If ya' don't like the way we do things around here,

don't come back, or don't watch the tournament on tv.

You can rest assured that the Augusta National magisterium know how to--and pretty much always do--handle issues like these appropriately, so you don't have to let your nose get out of joint needlessly. They care a whole lot more about this game than you do or ever will.

David Parker
David Parker 04/16/13 - 10:00 am
New vendor?

I had heard the sandwich prep was done by someone different this year, than in the past. Dunno about that but the pimento was excellent imo. BBQ was good flavor but puny. Ham and Cheese on rye was all-around winner for this guy.

karradur
karradur 04/16/13 - 10:32 am
I don't like golf.

At all. I think it's tremendously boring.

But golf does have rules and a penalty system. It isn't about making people feel good. This is the highest level of play in the sport, and Tianlang Guan and Tiger Woods alike know the rules.

karradur
karradur 04/16/13 - 10:41 am
Who "thumbs-down"-d my comment?

I'm actually AGREEING with Fiat_Lux. That NEVER happens.

This is one of the weirdest LTE's I've ever seen.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/16/13 - 11:03 am
Golf is supposed to be a "gentlemens / ladyes game"

I don't agree with this LTE. To quote a line from one of Densel Washington's movies, "I am an officer and therefore a gentleman, but don't take that and abuse it." I use this line to equate this to golfers. To be a golfer, in the truest spirit of the game, one MUST follow ALL of the rules. The young 14 year old, and Tiger Woods MUST be penalized "in accordance with the rules of golf."

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/16/13 - 11:38 am
@karradur

It wasn't I who did the thumb down on your comment. I imagine you may have your very own red-thumb troll, as I do, in which case no matter what you say, you will get a red thumb.

There are knee-jerk nitwits among us.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/16/13 - 11:48 am
And for the record,

I don't like golf either, EXCEPT for the Masters, which I always have loved. In all other venues, I find it tedious and far too slow-paced to keep my attention.

Baseball, however, I could nap to every single day.

Darby
Darby 04/16/13 - 12:04 pm
"Can’t these characters get why...

about half the people who actually watch golf tournaments and buy golf clubs actually like professional golf?"

My guess is that maybe the other half are glued to the TV set, watching the latest episode of SpongeBobSquarePants.

To each his own, I guess...

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/16/13 - 03:06 pm
Fiat Lux....you have a troll

Fiat Lux....you have a troll too?! Mine follows me around here pretty regularly.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/16/13 - 03:25 pm
Cheating

is, uh Cheating! tiger knew what he was doing. he should have never been allowed to play on Saturday.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/16/13 - 04:42 pm
Oh, heavens yes!

I think a lot of us have pet trolls, and many of us probably share the same ones, depending on our moral standards, religious beliefs and place on the liberal-conservative balance scale.

I suspect you and I exercise the same troll(s), which, if true, I would consider a badge of honor.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/16/13 - 04:46 pm
Speaking Of TSD's

Have you both notices that there are a lot less downers recently than there was a month ago?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/16/13 - 06:49 pm
Don't worry about "the thumbs up or down"

I say, "As long as you yourself believe in your comments, then don't worry about the thumbs." One could become down-right paranoid worrying about thumbs up / down.

Darby
Darby 04/16/13 - 07:30 pm
t3bledsoe -

Doubt that anyone is really worried about the thumbers.. It's just that they seem to be becoming an endangered species and we'd like to keep a few of them around.

They do really well in national elections because of their ability to mesmerize voters of low intellect. But around this part of the country, they struggle to keep their heads above water.

Head to head in a debate they don't perform that well. With them, it's all about emotion, dogma and the national Democrat agenda. Facts, other than a few cherry-picked at random seldom enter into their thoughts.

Still, I'd have to admit that they do fairly well in Richmond County, but if you look at our schools' performance levels, you'd know why.

Property tax jump OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.