Proposal is a lot of garbage

So once again, the local brain trust, our Augusta commissioners, are debating the merits of going to once-a-week trash pickup. I’m 52 years old, and grew up in Augusta. I moved away in the mid-1980s, but moved back. Right up until the time I left, the city of Augusta was picking up the trash every day. Now it’s down to twice a week, and they’re considering once a week?

Why don’t they just go ahead and strategically place dumpsters in all of the city neighborhoods, and instruct the citizens to dispose of their own garbage? No wait, that won’t work – they’d still find a way to charge us for trash pickup.

So, I assume that my property taxes – which increase every year, and include a fee for trash pickup – will go down if the service is cut back. Anybody believe that one?

Scott Finley

Augusta

deestafford
deestafford 03/28/13 - 09:55 am
When I retired here in 1990 and move back in my house

the garbage was picked up from next to my house and hot on the curve. The next improvement was to move it to the curve twice a week. Now the next improvement will be once a week. Oh, they are going to be nice to us and offer an extra can if we want...is there an additional charge for that second can?
Oh, by the way, the city is putting more expenses on the haulers by requiring them to refit all their trucks to natural gas; thereby, costing the hauler more which will require higher bids for the contract. But we will feel good because we have gone "GREEN"!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/28/13 - 10:21 am
Fee

The way the proposal is being sold is that we will see a large increase in garbage pickup fees on our tax bill if we stay with twice a week pickup. If we go to once a week pickup, the fees will stay the same and not go up. We are supposed to be grateful.

That being said, I support once a week pickup. People should manage their household waste generation to make it work.

However, I do not support the forced use of natural gas trucks for garbage pickup. If natural gas is such a good fuel, it should compete in the marketplace. No one should be mandated to use it.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 03/28/13 - 11:09 am
All these commissioners,

All these commissioners, don't they have anything better to do? Sit up there and constantly try to find ways to increase our taxes. I personally am sick and tired of being sick and tired!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/28/13 - 11:46 am
Once a week will work

We have it here & it is working...huge can with large recycle bin ....we also had lawsuits from haulers who were forced out.....dicey situation to say the least.....this money is taken out of our taxes each year automatically.......we have a designated hauler for each region of county...about 4 haulers...
The part I don't like is not having a choice if something happens & I want to change ....just like cable ...:(

David Parker
David Parker 03/28/13 - 02:39 pm
Is the reason that there is

Is the reason that there is city-managed garbage p/u because parts of teh county would be dumping grounds for folks who choose not to pay to have garbage service? simple question

I pay for once a week p/u and get along fine. I never have "hold-over" trash. I take it upon myself to crush cans and bag them for a trip every other month to the firestation and dump them. My funds go to a private company employing people and sustaining their corner of the economy.

Why is Augusta-Richmond County different in that it's better to use taxes to cover garbage collection? What's the upside?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/28/13 - 10:47 pm
Upside

The upside initially was that since the garbage fee was on your property tax bill, you could deduct it from federal and state income taxes. There are moves afoot in the state government to close that loophole.