Proposal is a lot of garbage

So once again, the local brain trust, our Augusta commissioners, are debating the merits of going to once-a-week trash pickup. I’m 52 years old, and grew up in Augusta. I moved away in the mid-1980s, but moved back. Right up until the time I left, the city of Augusta was picking up the trash every day. Now it’s down to twice a week, and they’re considering once a week?

Why don’t they just go ahead and strategically place dumpsters in all of the city neighborhoods, and instruct the citizens to dispose of their own garbage? No wait, that won’t work – they’d still find a way to charge us for trash pickup.

So, I assume that my property taxes – which increase every year, and include a fee for trash pickup – will go down if the service is cut back. Anybody believe that one?

Scott Finley

Augusta

deestafford
deestafford 03/28/13 - 08:55 am
When I retired here in 1990 and move back in my house

the garbage was picked up from next to my house and hot on the curve. The next improvement was to move it to the curve twice a week. Now the next improvement will be once a week. Oh, they are going to be nice to us and offer an extra can if we want...is there an additional charge for that second can?
Oh, by the way, the city is putting more expenses on the haulers by requiring them to refit all their trucks to natural gas; thereby, costing the hauler more which will require higher bids for the contract. But we will feel good because we have gone "GREEN"!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/28/13 - 09:21 am
Fee

The way the proposal is being sold is that we will see a large increase in garbage pickup fees on our tax bill if we stay with twice a week pickup. If we go to once a week pickup, the fees will stay the same and not go up. We are supposed to be grateful.

That being said, I support once a week pickup. People should manage their household waste generation to make it work.

However, I do not support the forced use of natural gas trucks for garbage pickup. If natural gas is such a good fuel, it should compete in the marketplace. No one should be mandated to use it.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 03/28/13 - 10:09 am
All these commissioners,

All these commissioners, don't they have anything better to do? Sit up there and constantly try to find ways to increase our taxes. I personally am sick and tired of being sick and tired!

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/28/13 - 10:16 am
Welcome to the Mark Johnson

Welcome to the Mark Johnson Garbage Dump and Methane Gas Empire.......OR....How To Start Out By Doubling The Price and Then Cut Service In Half And Raise Prices Again. Paid for by rural and suburban property owners who also subsidize the service to urban property owners. Brought to you buy the Augusta Commission and City Administrator who sit and nod their heads like bobblehead dogs in the back window of a car......and still can't figure out the meaning of Equal Taxation, Equal Fees, and Equal Property Valuations.

Watch out South Augusta...and other rural and suburban areas. They are already squirming trying to fudge the numbers to figure out how to keep you paying higher "equal" taxes to cover the cost of garbage and other services to the urban properties that are valued so low that they don't pay enough taxes to cover their garbage pick-up...OR....pay higher separate garbage fees to make up for those urban properties who they calculate will refuse, or be unable, to pay a separate garbage bill. They are figuring a 10% non-collection rate if they go to separate garbage bills so they are rationalizing that means they have to charge YOU 10% more to make up for it. If they put it all in the millage rate then they still have the problem of those low value urban properties that don't pay enough property tax to cover garbage collection so they rationalize that they will have to increase YOUR millage rate to CONTINUE to subsidize services to those property owners. The main problem with that is that "tax cap" thingy.

In other words, they have already decided to screw the rural and suburban property owners on garbage fees to subsidize services to the low valued residential properties downtown....they just haven't decided whether to do it with the millage rate or in even higher separate garbage bills. Oh yeh, I'm banging on the garbage fees but this also includes subsidizing street lights and fire department taxes for those properties too.

My recommendation is that, REGARDLESS OF PROPERTY VALUATION, NO PROPERTY TAX BILL WILL BE LOWER THAN THE ACTUAL COST OF PROVIDING GARBAGE, FIRE, AND STREET LIGHTS (if they have them) to ANY PROPERTY. In other words, A LOW END MINIMUM CAP on property taxes at the actual costs of providing municipal services. That solves the collection problem and that solves the "subsidizing" problem.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/28/13 - 10:46 am
Once a week will work

We have it here & it is working...huge can with large recycle bin ....we also had lawsuits from haulers who were forced out.....dicey situation to say the least.....this money is taken out of our taxes each year automatically.......we have a designated hauler for each region of county...about 4 haulers...
The part I don't like is not having a choice if something happens & I want to change ....just like cable ...:(

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/28/13 - 11:42 am
seenit.......got no problems

seenit.......got no problems with once a week (unless I forget to drag my can 1200 ft. to the road and have to wait another week). What I resent is getting my service cut in half from what I WAS getting and having the price raised at the same time.

David Parker
David Parker 03/28/13 - 01:39 pm
Is the reason that there is

Is the reason that there is city-managed garbage p/u because parts of teh county would be dumping grounds for folks who choose not to pay to have garbage service? simple question

I pay for once a week p/u and get along fine. I never have "hold-over" trash. I take it upon myself to crush cans and bag them for a trip every other month to the firestation and dump them. My funds go to a private company employing people and sustaining their corner of the economy.

Why is Augusta-Richmond County different in that it's better to use taxes to cover garbage collection? What's the upside?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/28/13 - 09:47 pm
Upside

The upside initially was that since the garbage fee was on your property tax bill, you could deduct it from federal and state income taxes. There are moves afoot in the state government to close that loophole.

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.