Anti-gun letter misfires

I read Kevin Palmer’s letter on guns (“Don’t give teachers guns,” March 12) and couldn’t help but laugh. Like most anti-gun liberals he has plucked a figure out of thin air: 250 million gun owners. That would be a real feat considering, according to the 2010 census, the population of the United States is a little over 308 million. Of that, only about 221 million are older than age 21. I guess Mr. Palmer believes every adult in the United States owns a gun and 29 million minors have somehow obtained a gun.

His contention that arming teachers is a bad thing doesn’t hold water. Had the principal at Sandy Hook Elementary School been armed, she may have stopped the killer in his tracks. Could her being armed have made the situation worse? I don’t think so.

Guns are nothing more than tools. Like all tools, they perform a function. They put meat on the table and they protect you and your family. And, like tools, you must learn how to use them properly.

If everyone, including criminals, no longer had access to guns, how would you protect your family from the thugs? 911? Good luck.

John Bryan

Lincolnton

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/25/13 - 03:45 pm
At the range you would shoot

At the range you would shoot in a house, sawing off the barrel makes virtually no difference. Watch for yourself. You could still easily miss if shooting from the hip.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/25/13 - 03:54 pm
I would like

In the real world, I would love to have a neighbor and/or friend like Humble Angela. At least it is nice to have a like-minded person posting on here. She's not the only one, thankfully, but still refreshing to hear from. Keep up the good work, Angela. Thanks for posting.

myfather15
myfather15 03/25/13 - 04:39 pm
Again, not wanting to

Again, not wanting to continue this specific debate; but how you train has a lot to do with effectiveness of shooting. If you've trained to shoot from the side, you CAN be effective and hit your target. Especially when firing into a crowd from a distance. I've seen men shoot pistols upside down and nail their target; I've seen them shoot shotguns with them pointed behind their back and hit their target. Perfect practice makes perfect. You can be effective with any technique you practice.

But my point was; if the next mass shooting involves a shotgun and pistols, will they then ban them? As of now, the politicians are saying they aren't taking our shotguns or pistols. BUT, if they can take certain firearms now, what prevents them from including MORE firearms, later? The line in the sand HAS to be drawn somewhere, so where? I promise you, THEY will not reign in their own ability to legislate us; so who will and when?

Power is the only thing in this world that is more addictive than drugs. Why do you think we have so many politicians with one foot in the grave, still in political office? Well past their 70's and even their 80's but simply REFUSE to retire and get on with life. Because POWER is their life; it's makes them relevant. Without it, they consider themselves to be nothing. The VAST majority of those in power, are NOT going to limit their own power. They will continue to chip away at the rights of the people until noone even knows where the limit is. We are almost there already. If WE THE PEOPLE don't reign them in and soon, we are in big trouble. WE NEED TERM LIMITS ON EVERY ELECTED OFFICIAL, especially federal level. But good luck getting them to vote that in.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/25/13 - 05:31 pm
You Beat Me To It, Father

I was just ready to come back on Angela's comment on shooting from the hip.
If and when we have another get together "Shoot Out" at Cobalt Park I was going to show her a little shooting from the hip at clay pigeons.

You covered it pretty good in your first paragraph. Shooting from the hip and hitting a target is not for those that has only shot a box of shells. It takes a lot of practice to become very accurate with any gun.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/25/13 - 06:24 pm
Just Can't Help Posting This From My Face Book

Truth on a problem spoken from the heart. Many more than likely have already seen it.

COLUMBINE STUDENT'S FATHER 12 YEARS LATER!!

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this. On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.
They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good &evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent.

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact.
What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws.
Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him.

To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!
My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"
- Darrell Scott

Do what the mainstream media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 03/25/13 - 08:39 pm
anti-gun letter

anti-gun letter misfires.....(Insert Beavis and Butthead sound effect)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/25/13 - 09:25 pm
part true part false

Yep, Twisting of words by a liberal supportive web
site. What else is there to be said. Only a liberal mind would accept what SNOPES would print.

To make some people feel better, I'll give it a downer.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 03/25/13 - 10:55 pm
Guns

When the gun control nuts, both sides, start talking about putting those convicted of crimes in jail for life, then we will start to have a civilized society. When you kill someone you should stay in jail at lease as long as they are dead.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/26/13 - 06:13 pm
Snopes is not a credible

Snopes is not a credible source. There is nothing false about that letter.

Ex-Augusta VA director paid $76k, retired

Under the terms of the contract, Rebecca Wiley agreed to dismiss any allegations against the VA of wrongful or unlawful conduct on the condition the agency pays her $76,006 to retire, restores 238 ...