Hoboes story was hyped

Regarding the recent article about six hoboes being arrested on train: Is The Augusta Chronicle telling me that anyone who attempts to steal a ride by hopping a freight train is automatically labeled a hobo?

Not only that, but it’s such big news the story appears on the front page of the Metro section with a big bold headline identifying them as such.

Bank robbers don’t get this kind of publicity.

After reading the story it became clear that these six young adults were on nothing more than an adventure. They had no weapons or drugs in their possession, and their canine partners in crime were well taken care of considering how much dog food was found in their backpacks.

Yes, I know what they did was a crime. I’m not questioning that. I do find it strange, though, that four of the six mug shots were almost void of color, making them look like vampires, in contrast to the two that actually contained color. I guess it’s much easier to demonize someone when they actually resemble demons.

My point is that with all of the violent crime and drug activity that seem to plague this city on a regular basis, these six young people meant no harm and are not a danger to society, as the story might suggest at first glance.

In no way am I condoning their crime, but I wonder how many of us have secretly harbored the romantic idea of hopping a freight train. Many a song has been written about just such a notion.

Whereas many just dream of the act, these six young people lived it.

May the judge have mercy on their souls.

John Glover

Augusta

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/23/13 - 06:28 am
SOMETHING about that story

There was SOMETHING about that story and the people. Perhaps the reporter fell under the romantic spell as many of us did reading about these people. Sure is a waste of county money to keep them in jail a month at the request of the railroad. The county also has to pay to take care of their dogs.

Good night, America, how are you?
Don't you know me I'm your native son,
I'm the train they call The City of New Orleans,
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 03/23/13 - 07:52 am
Riverman..........I know

Riverman..........

I know every engineer on every train
All of their children, and all of their names
And every handout in every town
And every lock that ain't locked
When no one's around.

Props to Roger Miller!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/23/13 - 08:37 am
Gage, cool. We both

Gage, cool. We both appreciate that folksy type music I see.

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/23/13 - 11:27 am
9,000,000 POINTS

Ah, the romance of riding the rails...folk songs...breaking and entering...first to sue the railroad if they fall off or get injured...possible property damage...hmmmm. It was an interesting story and appropriately displayed in the paper just because it was so unusual.
My caption for the photos would have been a little different: "Students from the Class of 2015 at Compass Academy in Aiken set off on a class field trip to Savannah."

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 03/23/13 - 02:17 pm
Crime, hitching a ride

on a railroad car - if that would be as far as all criminality goes we would be in terrific shape. Times have changed - somehow going back to the time when people were struggling for survival and some of them rode the railroad cars. Did they have some pets with them then? I doubt it. Those young people probably sought an adventure - that landed them in jail for a month??? And their pets are housed by the county? The pets are well taken care of now and HAD been by their owners. What's the matter with the law? Sometimes they are much too harsh as in this case. Let those young people go on their way! The railroad did not lose any money in them riding in a box car and I've never heard of a case where it was sued because a hobo fell off a train.
"Show a little tenderness" - that's another song!!

Lou Stewall
Lou Stewall 03/23/13 - 04:02 pm
Please hold a hearing immediately!

Go to WSAV and search "Dog People" for more accurate information about this network of young people who live an alternate way. They survive by panhandling with the aid of their dogs. How could they be held 38 days if the court meets once a month, unless it is intentional cruelty!

just an opinion
just an opinion 03/23/13 - 10:05 pm
Let them go

Columbia County, I think you have taught them a lesson. Send them on their way with their dogs. Lets save incarceration for those who truly threaten us.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.