Accept GRU, help it grow

Hooray for March 17 guest columnists Gloria Norwood (“Stop bickering and embrace new university”) and Nick Evans (“Though name isn’t perfect, GRU Augusta deserves our support”)! They get it.

Georgia Regents University, with all its present value and future potential, is far more important than our own preferences for the name. The Board of Regents could have pushed consolidation without the vision of a research university and without all the support the university has received. Drive by the magnificent dental school and see the new commons building arising from the ground.

Both schools will benefit in the long run in spite of the bumps and mistakes along the way. If you are loyal to the Medical College of Georgia or to Augusta State University, you will embrace and support the new GRU and help it to grow and benefit the community and the state.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/19/13 - 04:55 am
Pay-off For Name?

The writer said, "The Board of Regents could have pushed consolidation without the vision of a research university and without all the support the university has received. Drive by the magnificent dental school and see the new commons building arising from the ground."

If the funding is a pay-off for the Regents' name we should have held out for even more for such a ridiculous one. So the message is accept the name and get funding that should have absolutely nothing to do with the name? Don't accept the name and the funding goes away? Lots of improper negative overtones in the warning/letter. Next we'll be hearing they will be denying ASU's Golf National Championship(s) by altering the photos.

bentman
bentman 03/19/13 - 07:20 am
Betty Wray . . .

. . . another Azziz minion sent out to do his bidding.

deestafford
deestafford 03/19/13 - 08:52 am
This whole thing seems to have been done in a back room.

There was little, if any, public input with this whole thing. It was carried on as a child does things it doesn't want its mother to know about--as secretly as possible. No doubt this is a good deal for the medical community but it appears to be a stick in the eye to ASU.

prov227
prov227 03/19/13 - 10:49 am
I suspect ...

the dental building and commons building would have risen without a consolidation. I don't get the writer's connection.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 03/19/13 - 02:00 pm
Betty Wray....please enjoy

Betty Wray....please enjoy your support of GRU. The rest of the community will enjoy withholding theirs....

Spell edit..

countyman
20232
countyman 03/19/13 - 01:46 pm
I think the community already

I think the community already supports GRU, and would be foolish to do otherwise. I do think some people are upset with the way different thing were handled, but realized the future investments.

The Augusta Chronicle comment section is not the entire COMMUNITY. I remember saying this when people told me Deke would lose the election, and he got over 60% of the vote.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 03/19/13 - 01:59 pm
Let's talk after the next

Let's talk after the next fundraiser....

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 03/19/13 - 02:08 pm
And btw countyman....did you

And btw countyman....did you bother to read Dr. Strum Kenny's exit letter to Azziz? Kenny inidcated that the GRU had lost COMMUNITY support.

And to quote Dr. Kenny..."it's not all about you"

csrareader
csrareader 03/19/13 - 04:08 pm
Not a chance. That bridge

Not a chance. That bridge has not only burned, but the gap has widened and deepened.

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 03/19/13 - 04:49 pm
To quote Kevin Bacon in 'Animal House'...

I suppose that she expects us to just take it and say, “Thank you sir, may I have another?”

KSL
KSL 03/19/13 - 05:53 pm
GRUA will have to make it

GRUA will have to make it without my support. Gone are the warm and fuzzy feelings I had for the wonderful experience my husband I had when he had to have surgery there for an ASD, gone, just like the 2 very expert surgeons he had.

KSL
KSL 03/19/13 - 06:08 pm
And while I am a USCA fan, I

And while I am a USCA fan, I have warm feelings AC/ASU. Because of that, I called a Regent with whom I grew up. He was a year ahead of me, which put him in the class with Lewis Grizzard. My class tends to have class reunions with classes above and one or so classes below us. I don'texpect to see him as he has not bothered to attend even though he lives much closer than we do. Guess he's too busy regenting!

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/19/13 - 11:10 pm
The old “ends justifies the

The letter writer makes

The old “ends justifies the means” argument.

OK let's see how that works.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/20/13 - 12:55 pm
Dr. Wray,

I'm a huge fan of yours, and not just because you are a Georgian and have been a faculty member at MCG since God was a boy. You genuinely do deserve all the recognition-- local, state and national-- you have received for your service and achievements in treating children and adults with allergies, asthma and immune disorders, the training you provide for residents and post-docs, not to mention the volunteer care you provide at clinics for the indigent. You are a treasure to MCG and to our community

Your point about the stumbles and bumps paling in comparison to the future potential is taken. I must offer a conjecture, however, that you have not experienced this transformation in quite the same way most of the rest of us have. You and Dr. Charles Wray essentially are MCG royalty, and I doubt Dr. Azziz and his minions would even sniff at your door, much less knock on it. That he/they would insult and dismiss you is beyond thinkable, quite simply because, well, you matter. Even though the rest of us matter to you, we do not matter at all in the grand BOR+Azziz scheme of things.

No matter how grand the plan genuinely is, and it truly could be just as you say, people still have a very hard time deciding to try out for the cheer quad when they're treated like stupid, hick townies.

Azziz has fences to mend, as does the BOR. They can't do the future they intend and the future that we all would like, if they don't bring us on board pretty much in the way that Dr. Kenny described so well.

Developer fined by Georgia EPD

The developer of a Grovetown subdivision has been fined by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division for failing to control erosion and other water quality control violations.